Anime Boston 2022 Update

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Anime Boston 2022 Update

Post by Nemra »

To the Anime Boston Community,

Hello, it’s been a while. It’s hard to believe that we haven’t seen each other since 2019. The past few years have brought on difficult challenges and plenty of anxiety, but we’ve thankfully been able to move forward to finally present you with Anime Boston 2022! There’s a lot to catch up on.

Though our last two conventions were canceled, the world moved on. We’ve had to continuously adapt to changes as the situation developed. We knew that if we made an announcement every time something changed, the end result would be confusion. So, we decided to wait until the dust settled in order to give a comprehensive and more detailed update on what is happening with Anime Boston and what to expect for 2022. Now, we are finally on more stable footing to make such an announcement.

To start, we want to let you know that planning for Anime Boston 2022 is scheduled as any other convention year would allow. However, there will be some changes and new policies in place. Let’s break it down into pieces.

Vaccination and Mask Requirements

Anime Boston 2022 will have a COVID-19 vaccination and mask requirement for all in attendance, including but not limited to artists, exhibitors, staff, and attendees. More specific details on these policies will be announced closer to the convention date. These policies may change as we continue to observe the status of the pandemic and receive instructions from the city and state.

Pre-registered Members

As a reminder, we will be honoring all pre-registered members who have allowed us to rollover their registrations from Anime Boston 2020. All pre-registered members from 2020 should receive a confirmation email after our systems go live. Please allow one month for this process to complete. If you are not sure about the status of your registration, please contact our registration customer service team. There will no longer be a Merch Store coupon to cover the difference in registration prices from 2020 because...
Membership Price Increase

The New England Anime Society (NEAS) is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation. As such, our revenue to expense ratio has always been thin. We have always priced memberships at the amount we believe we need to break even for that year. Any excess assets are directed toward the operation of the corporation and future conventions. No members of Anime Boston or NEAS staff or executives receive any pay or financial compensation, ever.

We have always prided ourselves on keeping membership costs as low as possible. This still holds true today, but the unfortunate reality is that the world and expenses are not the same they were three years ago. Whenever we increase our membership prices, we also acknowledge that we may price ourselves out of some people’s budgets, which is why we are bringing back…

Single Day Memberships

That’s right! Single day memberships are back. We will be offering single day memberships for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Additionally, we will be introducing a family package that includes two adult and two youth memberships.

Other Status Updates

• Artists' Alley: We plan to offer the same spaces to the same artists who would have attended AB2020. Artists on the AB2020 waitlist will be contacted if there is space available.
  • Dealers' Room: We will reach out to vendors and sponsors to maintain their booth space from AB2020 and work with waitlisted exhibitors if space becomes available.
  • Hotels: Scheduled to go live in November.
  • Pre-Registrations: Scheduled to go live in November.
  • Panelists: All panelists must reapply for 2022.
  • Press: All press must reapply for 2022.
  • Community Row: All must reapply for 2022.
  • Staff Applications: Currently open.
If you are not one of the above listed groups and you have a question regarding an event, please contact us using the contact form on our website. We will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you all, and we will see you soon!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

reaper527
Determined Poster

Re: Anime Boston 2022 Update

Post by reaper527 »

These policies may change as we continue to observe the status of the pandemic and receive instructions from the city and state.
and hopefully they do change. down at otakon the masks were absurd given that they'd pack rooms with people sitting shoulder to shoulder for 3 days.

is it a reasonable expectation to assume mask requirements will be in line with what the celtics/bruins are doing down the street at the time? more to the point, is AB the one planning on shoving this down everyone's throats or is this simply an "AB will follow state and local requirements" type of statement?
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Let's welcome AB back!
I'll express my thoughts on a few of the key features:

1)
Mask reqs: This probably comes down to what the city wishes, as the state did away with them in spring.
At Fenway (thinking of things with similar densities to a Dealer's Room) as of Sept they don't require masks outdoors, but only for the heavy transit areas indoors/eating areas. So if sporting events are already this relaxed, I think we'll be in a good spot by spring. Outside cities has mostly resumed normality.

2a)
Exemptions: vaccination reqs, what about natural immunity? If Boosters are required to be considered vaccinated, there's gonna be a jumble of people with the range of 1-3 vaccinations. If you thought Line-Con was bad, how will things progress with the constant checking of new paperwork?

Will there be an option for people with medical and religious exemptions? "Sorry, your doctor recommended you can't get the vaccination, so AB can no longer be the highlight of your year."

2b)
My personal recommendation is to allow for a Negative test in lieu, when picking up your badge. And to do all the checking at badge pickup. Why not proof at-registration instead of Pick-up? If you register in Jan, Vax in Feb, and the con is months later, you can't get any early-reg discount at all, which might price even more out. Allowing for people to present a negative-test gets the religious exemption folks, and medical exemption folks all on board, and allows people to get their pre-reg discounts without having to wait for future policy announcements by the City.

3)
Cost: Can't be helped, everything is up in price and certainly I expect a few extra precautions

There must be a rat's nest of intertwined considerations that need to be gone through, so thanks for keeping us informed. The waiting strategy was the best way to go instead of conflicting messages.
rolypolyloli
I'm new!

Post by rolypolyloli »

So excited for AB to be returning at last! It’s been too long! :D

Thank you so much for making attendee safety your highest priority with masks and vaccine requirements! As an immunocompromised person, I wouldn’t feel safe attending otherwise. Certain people will whine and cry about it, but we all need to learn to eat our vegetables some day. As a medical professional, I also hope you will not allow for religious exemptions. I can confirm firsthand that these types of exemptions are widely abused. There are no mainstream religions that prohibit vaccination. At the end of the day, we are a community, and we need to come together for all of us. The personal preferences of a few should not take priority over the collective good. These requirements are for the safety of all attendees but especially those of us who may not have generated a strong enough immune response from our own vaccinations to fully protect ourselves. NY Comic Con recently had a very successful con experience with masks, vaccines, and those unable to be vaccinated having to show a negative COVID test each day they attended. The event went off without a hitch, and I hope AB will follow suit!

On another note, I’m pretty disappointed that our merch coupons are being revoked. I kept my money in the system since 2020 because I know it helped AB, and the coupon was a nice incentive, but I REALLY could have used that money many times over the past two years. So this feels really cruddy and unappreciative.

Thank you again for the update, and I’m looking forward to a safe and successful con next year!
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

Welcome back! I don't have any questions or comments right now about your policies. I'm sure I will once we get closer to the date. I only wanted to stop by to offer my support and thanks for still being here. I hope AB will be able to get some great guests in 2022. I miss you lots!
Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

Glad to hear you're coming back; I'm looking forward to attending
Attended AB: 2017, 2019, 2022-present
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:49 pm
Vaccination and Mask Requirements

Anime Boston 2022 will have a COVID-19 vaccination and mask requirement for all in attendance, including but not limited to artists, exhibitors, staff, and attendees. More specific details on these policies will be announced closer to the convention date. These policies may change as we continue to observe the status of the pandemic and receive instructions from the city and state.
In regards to this, my only question is this: Who will be administering the enforcement of this policy, whatever it is? Because that will determine the type & coverage needed for a whole new legal & medical insurance coverage requirement that currently does not exist for the convention volunteers.

If in any way, the administration & enforcement of this policy involves the convention volunteers, as a long time volunteer for the convention I would want a written document that details the extensive legal coverage provided to me for any eventuality resulting from this. Remember, as there are no paid workers or employees, each & every one of us takes a private risk for our actions with no backing of the convention in any way. That means each of us is liable personally for the actions that occur at any public or private function absent an organizations coverage provision.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your questions and taking the time to review our update. I can't say that I'll have the answers you're looking for yet but all comments are taken into consideration.

Regarding questions on enforcement and specifics of the vaccine/mask requirements:

We have no further information to give at the moment. As noted in the update, more specific guidelines will be given at a further date. We felt that it was important to let everyone have the information upfront about what our intentions are, at the time being, so that everyone can make an informed decision, by gauging their level of comfort for themselves, should they choose to attend and pre-register for the upcoming Anime Boston.
rolypolyloli wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 pm On another note, I’m pretty disappointed that our merch coupons are being revoked... So this feels really cruddy and unappreciative.
Please know that it was not an easy decision nor one that we made lightly. As noted in the update, the price of memberships did increase and that is a major reason why "making up for the difference" no longer made financial sense. You will still be getting a great deal out of the rollover!

Thank you all for your understanding and support!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

DerekWildstar
I'm new!

Post by DerekWildstar »

Nemra wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:00 pm
Please know that it was not an easy decision nor one that we made lightly. As noted in the update, the price of memberships did increase and that is a major reason why "making up for the difference" no longer made financial sense. You will still be getting a great deal out of the rollover!

First, thanks to all the AB staff who kept the flame alive!

So if I rolled over my 2020 passes, I don't get the booth credits but I do NOT have to pay anything more for 2022 passes, even though price has increased, correct?

Thanks for clarifying!
shinden9
I'm new!

Post by shinden9 »

For what my input is worth.

PLEASE find a way to allow scans or submissions of vaccination/test results/etc ahead of time to mitigate issues with badge pickup. All of the gains in efficiency made over the years are about to be lost because you're going to have a lot of nonstandard paperwork, torn cards (honestly what was the CDC even thinking here?) "vaccine passports" from fifteen different private webdevs, apps, airlines, and companies that "I was told would be accepted", etc. Possibly a document scan sent in with the prereg form as an attachment.

It would immensely help both the staff and guests if something can be worked out ahead of time.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

DerekWildstar wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 pm So if I rolled over my 2020 passes, I don't get the booth credits but I do NOT have to pay anything more for 2022 passes, even though price has increased, correct?
correct :)
shinden9 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:10 pm It would immensely help both the staff and guests if something can be worked out ahead of time.
That's why details will come out at a later date ;)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Nemra wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:00 pm We have no further information to give at the moment. As noted in the update, more specific guidelines will be given at a further date. We felt that it was important to let everyone have the information upfront about what our intentions are, at the time being, so that everyone can make an informed decision, by gauging their level of comfort for themselves, should they choose to attend and pre-register for the upcoming Anime Boston.

Which is best. Its better to say "Prepare for a long journey!" and then relax things as they approach, rather than introducing the rules as people are already on airplanes. Its the proper approach. Thanks again.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:00 pm Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your questions and taking the time to review our update. I can't say that I'll have the answers you're looking for yet but all comments are taken into consideration.

Regarding questions on enforcement and specifics of the vaccine/mask requirements:

We have no further information to give at the moment. As noted in the update, more specific guidelines will be given at a further date. We felt that it was important to let everyone have the information upfront about what our intentions are, at the time being, so that everyone can make an informed decision, by gauging their level of comfort for themselves, should they choose to attend and pre-register for the upcoming Anime Boston.
rolypolyloli wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 pm On another note, I’m pretty disappointed that our merch coupons are being revoked... So this feels really cruddy and unappreciative.

Let us all hope said information is made available before refund deadlines pass as people will 100 percent determine attendance based on that information. Even worse, volunteers & staff would also potentially need to know prior to committing.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Kalyoth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:19 am Let us all hope said information is made available before refund deadlines pass as people will 100 percent determine attendance based on that information. Even worse, volunteers & staff would also potentially need to know prior to committing.
If you are still hesitant on pre-registering and/or volunteering(support squad)/staffing and are waiting for more information, please wait. This is why we made the announcement so that people can gauge their comfort when pre-registration goes live. Waiting for more information before committing is perfectly reasonable.

I'd like to remind that as a general rule, we do not have a refund policy (29). We allowed and opened the possibility of refunds because of the cancelations for a certain period of time but we are now moving towards holding a convention again, so the previous rules will still hold should you choose to pre-register for 2022 when our system goes live. That obviously may change depending on certain circumstances but it's been the general rule.

To clarify, when you say volunteering, are you referring to Support Squad or staffing? As you well know, all staff are volunteers but not all volunteers are staff. To eliminate confusion, we renamed our non-staff volunteers to "Support Squad" and I want to make sure I am on the same page as you.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:31 am
Kalyoth wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:19 am Let us all hope said information is made available before refund deadlines pass as people will 100 percent determine attendance based on that information. Even worse, volunteers & staff would also potentially need to know prior to committing.
If you are still hesitant on pre-registering and/or volunteering(support squad)/staffing and are waiting for more information, please wait. This is why we made the announcement so that people can gauge their comfort when pre-registration goes live. Waiting for more information before committing is perfectly reasonable.

I'd like to remind that as a general rule, we do not have a refund policy (29). We allowed and opened the possibility of refunds because of the cancelations for a certain period of time but we are now moving towards holding a convention again, so the previous rules will still hold should you choose to pre-register for 2022 when our system goes live. That obviously may change depending on certain circumstances but it's been the general rule.

To clarify, when you say volunteering, are you referring to Support Squad or staffing? As you well know, all staff are volunteers but not all volunteers are staff. To eliminate confusion, we renamed our non-staff volunteers to "Support Squad" and I want to make sure I am on the same page as you.
I speak from the perspective of the now labeled Support Squad. Been a part of it for a decade+. A wonderful experience to enhance your convention appreciation if you start to feel that lack of fun. Meet the people that run the behind the scenes & interact with the guests potentially in their events, assisting guests & staff in running the event we all love.

I would offer more & consider applying to staff - but working for Amazon already takes up most of my time. My life before Amazon is where I draw my concerns for legal coverage from as our society is ever in a state of litigious action & the present times only add more points to open up an individual as a target of that action. I hope there is ample forward thought given to the protection of all those, regardless of their job designation or classification, to continue to promote that good will & community the convention has been known to have.

Coco Strawbunny
Determined Poster

Post by Coco Strawbunny »

what about those people who chose roll over their membership from 2020 when that con was cancelled to 2021? are our memberships automatically rolled over to 2022?
2014 Logan Walker (COD) & Edward Elric ~FMA
2015: Naruto uzumaki, Kurama (naruto)
2016: Renamon (digimon), Naruto
2017: chibisuke (dragon drive), Naruto
2018: sawsbuck (pokemon), ash (pokemon)
2022: delphox (pokemon), fatgum (MHA), more?
my cosplay page: http://www.facebook.com/KitsuneCosplay323/
my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8pa7RFYKkA27BztmGZrJw
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

reaper527 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:18 pm
These policies may change as we continue to observe the status of the pandemic and receive instructions from the city and state.
and hopefully they do change. down at otakon the masks were absurd given that they'd pack rooms with people sitting shoulder to shoulder for 3 days.

is it a reasonable expectation to assume mask requirements will be in line with what the celtics/bruins are doing down the street at the time? more to the point, is AB the one planning on shoving this down everyone's throats or is this simply an "AB will follow state and local requirements" type of statement?

follow up question on this in terms of what ab's plan is, what does "vaccinated" mean as per anime boston policy?

specifically, currently the CDC considers "vaccinated" to be 2 shots (or one shot of j+j), but there is a very real chance that this definition gets changed between now and may so that people currently vaccinated are no longer considered to be if they don't have a 3rd shot.

of course, that's a hypothetical, but what specifically is AB planning on defining"vaccinated" as?
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Lino
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Lino »

I've read about the candle test with the masks. They hardly offer much protection, which I'm not saying is bad, take every opportunity to keep yourself and others safe, but cloth masks literally do nothing in the way of protection. But offering the quick covid test down the road or even on the site to receive your badge would make this event even safer. I don't know how many people will be attending. But if you got your covid vaccine in july 2021 (like I did) a lot of time will have passed. The covid vaccine isn't a cure, it's added protection and you can still get it, and the card that I received could easily be forged (mine isn't but it would be an easy thing to do as I'm from out of state which means there might be multiple versions of cards staff will come across that are not used in the state.)

I'd recommend requiring a covid test result taken at least a week before the convention or even having a testing site outside the convention to receive test results to confirm those registered are not endangering themselves or others before they can pick up their badge.

I understand the lines are usually long but an hour or two for the price of everyone being as safe as they can possibly be during this pandemic... I'm willing to pay that price.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Lino wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:10 pm I've read about the candle test with the masks. They hardly offer much protection, which I'm not saying is bad, take every opportunity to keep yourself and others safe, but cloth masks literally do nothing in the way of protection. But offering the quick covid test down the road or even on the site to receive your badge would make this event even safer. I don't know how many people will be attending. But if you got your covid vaccine in july 2021 (like I did) a lot of time will have passed. The covid vaccine isn't a cure, it's added protection and you can still get it, and the card that I received could easily be forged (mine isn't but it would be an easy thing to do as I'm from out of state which means there might be multiple versions of cards staff will come across that are not used in the state.)

I'd recommend requiring a covid test result taken at least a week before the convention or even having a testing site outside the convention to receive test results to confirm those registered are not endangering themselves or others before they can pick up their badge.

I understand the lines are usually long but an hour or two for the price of everyone being as safe as they can possibly be during this pandemic... I'm willing to pay that price.
It will be whatever they are legally advised of by the insurance writer & required to follow as established by the City of Boston & State of MA at the time of the convention occurring. We likely will not know final plans until May 2022 at the earliest as municipal governments do not react fast or in the best interests of their populations. They react in the best interest of avoiding litigation.

reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Kalyoth wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:37 pm It will be whatever they are legally advised of by the insurance writer & required to follow as established by the City of Boston & State of MA at the time of the convention occurring. We likely will not know final plans until May 2022 at the earliest as municipal governments do not react fast or in the best interests of their populations. They react in the best interest of avoiding litigation.
yeah, hopefully assuming boston scraps all the city level mandates by then, AB opts to do the same next year.

we've already heard stories about how much of a train wreck new york was for animenyc a few weeks ago and really don't need ab 2022 to be linecon 3.0.

if ab was ACTUALLY serious about keeping people safe they wouldn't be shutting down entrances like artist alley, they'd be opening them all up to spread people out and reduce how long they're clustered in line. their 2022 plan reeks of security theater so they can say they're doing something while effectively doing nothing productive and just making things worse.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

reaper527 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 pm their 2022 plan reeks of security theater so they can say they're doing something while effectively doing nothing productive and just making things worse.
I don't know what plan you've seen but we haven't released any plan other than announcing that we're working on a vaccination and mask requirement policy. We've specifically said that the details of said plan will be announced at a later date.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Nemra wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am
reaper527 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 pm their 2022 plan reeks of security theater so they can say they're doing something while effectively doing nothing productive and just making things worse.
I don't know what plan you've seen but we haven't released any plan other than announcing that we're working on a vaccination and mask requirement policy.
which brings us back to "security theater" from what you guys have announced so far. are you going to have everyone take off their shoes when going through the security line too?
Notmystyle91
I'm new!

Post by Notmystyle91 »

Hi! I know they will announce a more detailed plan later but im hoping they'll let us know if we need the booster shot and give us enough time to go get it and not the day before con.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

reaper527 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:48 pm
Nemra wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am
I don't know what plan you've seen but we haven't released any plan other than announcing that we're working on a vaccination and mask requirement policy.
which brings us back to "security theater" from what you guys have announced so far. are you going to have everyone take off their shoes when going through the security line too?
They can't tell you or speculate on what you wish to know until they are informed significantly closer to the event occurring. I would take a good guess - wait til April 2022. They are dependent upon the state & Boston. Until you are within 60 days, no realistic snapshot of the situation on the ground will apply. Most of us are excitedly awaiting to prepare. We need to be more patient & remember - we are lucky that we still have this convention to attend in any form.

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Just as an update - seems the City of Boston has announced an Indoor Vaccine Mandate today with details coming out shortly. May be worth looking into as I am sure this is part of the futurecasting I had thought could be coming.

Question: How long can those with rolled over prereg request it refunded instead for based upon the changing political & medical scene in the city?

waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

^^^^^^^
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

As mentioned above, as this is a "normal" con year, the usual registration policies are in effect. We only allowed refunds for a certain time period after the previous cancellations but that was the exception, not the rule (registration policy). At this time, we have neither extended nor renewed this period.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Where does the con stand at this point regarding possible cancellation? (I have no information nor any rumors—I'm just wondering so that I can plan.)
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Not staff, but it doesn't look at all like there are any plans at all to cancel. Nothing even really hints at that. Seems like a normal con year to me, COVID precautions aside.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Thank you. Anyone else?
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Unless some new major development happens in the next few weeks, AB is still going according to plan!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Okay—thank you. :-)