Lightsaber help!

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
vhamilton
Experienced Poster

Lightsaber help!

Post by vhamilton » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 pm

While I realize no props can be pre-approved, I just wanted to get some insight from fellow con-goers. I'm cosplaying Rey from Star Wars on Friday, and I was thinking of buying the official Force FX lightsaber here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY ... 0DER&psc=1 . I've already cosplyed Rey before to this convention with a lit lightsaber from the Disney store (weirdly enough), which I'll link here as well for reference: https://www.shopdisney.com/rey-lightsab ... di-1442711 . The one I've already used before in 2016 I believe is all made of plastic and it was approved by prop check. But I really like this official Force FX saber, though the hilt is apparently metal and it's a bit over 2 pounds.

Do you guys think the prop might be okay, even with a metal hilt? Just wanted a few opinions before I bought the Force FX saber, seeing as it is pretty expensive. Likely enough, I might just end up bring the Disney store plastic lightsaber again, but any opinions are really appreciated!
AB 2018 LINEUP
Friday: Rey (Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Friday Night: Veronica Sawyer (Heathers: the Musical)
Saturday: Daenerys Targaryen - Season 7 Dragonscale dress (Game of Thrones)
Sunday: Belle - Town dress (Beauty and the Beast)

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Re: Lightsaber help!

Post by Kiarrens » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:25 pm

I've seen SW cosplayers with ForceFX and UltraSabers around the convention before, but that's not a guarantee that you'll be fine. I'd suggest bringing along your old prop that you know will be approved, that way if they don't allow you to bring it, you'll still have your old one.
Lyndsey Zusi
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Divison 2019
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

vhamilton
Experienced Poster

Post by vhamilton » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:35 pm

That's a great idea! Thanks so much for your input :)
AB 2018 LINEUP
Friday: Rey (Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
Friday Night: Veronica Sawyer (Heathers: the Musical)
Saturday: Daenerys Targaryen - Season 7 Dragonscale dress (Game of Thrones)
Sunday: Belle - Town dress (Beauty and the Beast)

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sylal3us » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 pm

Saber owner here and occasional Barriss Offee cosplayer chiming in with my 2cents! I went with 2 lightsaber hilts, one an Ultrasabers with polycarbonate deuling blade the year of the prop-pocolypse as I jokingly call it, and the other a custom Saberforge with no blade last year. Both years I managed to get in just fine. Granted, that one full saber I used looked like a glorified flashlight as opposed to a weapon and was very round with no edges on the hilt. The other hilt I thought was pushing it as it is heavyweight (well over 1 lb before blade) with a near mace-like pommel got in fine as well to the point of a security guard asking where I bought it because he wanted one.

In my opinion, a Force FX should get in fairly easy when compared to what some of the doods in the 501st that occasionally pop up at the con have. But, that said: it is ALWAYS good to have a backup plan just in case with any prop or costume that has metal parts to it. Worst case, can't bring the new shiney into the con, but there are plenty of places right outside the convention center at night to take great pics with the good one!
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2018cosplays: Friday: probably Hiccup from Dragons Race to the Edge
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: kingsglaive dress uniform