Quick question about lightsaber prop

This forum is for general questions for staff that don't fit into one of the forums below. Please read the FAQ before posting new questions.
DankDylan
I'm new!

Quick question about lightsaber prop

Post by DankDylan »

It doesn't say anything about this in the prohibited items section under the props faq but the lightsaber I bought for ab has a metallic like handle should I be concerned? Mainly considering the metal isn't on the blade itself
Seriyu
AB Alumni

Re: Quick question about lightsaber prop

Post by Seriyu »

We don't pre-approve props. But if you get hit with it will it break, or would you be injured? Base your decision on that. Just be prepared to remove it from the convention.
Adam Burdick
Assistant Security Manager 2011-2018
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I understand AB is not in control of security policy. What is the contact info for who does set these policies?

If I hit someone with my big fat DLST camera it's going to hurt. I can poke an eye out with a plastic straw. Where is the data that supports toy lightsabers are dangerous weapons? They are sold to kids. The manufacturer is liable for injuries. They have lightsaber battles in the Boston Common.

Whoever is setting security policies are being isolated from the public by Anime Boston staff. Let the guests of the Hynes Convention Center help you push back on some of these policies. The lesson learned in many amine is, don't go it along, ask your friends for help.

It's frustrating not knowing who I should talk to. I get the impression someone doesn't like teenagers and cosplayers.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

the manufacturer may be liable for injuries at home but any organizer/facility would be liable for allowing the prop to enter the building if someone does get hurt from it.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Revan_Deschain
Expert Poster

Post by Revan_Deschain »

Not security, but for what it's worth, my lightsaber hasn't been a problem for the past three years and many other people bring them as well.
AB 2017
Friday & Saturday:
Big Boss [TUXEDO]
Sunday:
The Revanchist
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

just as long as you don't look like your going to "wack" anyone with it it should be ok, just keep it at your side with a zip tie on it at all times...once it gets approved and you should be fine

not security or anything like that...
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:51 pm the manufacturer may be liable for injuries at home but any organizer/facility would be liable for allowing the prop to enter the building if someone does get hurt from it.

Not Staff

We can all agree that having AB not go out of operation because of one "potential" incident is a good enough reason for there to be an active pursuit of No Incidents. We sadly live in a hyper litigation/lack of personal responsibility society where organizers must do everything to act in best interests of all. Those in charge of public safety will use approved processes to execute public safety.

Ultimately - the best advice is this - If you have to ask, just don't bring it.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn