Air Combat in Anime[New Panel]

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Air Combat in Anime[New Panel]

Post by off_kilter »

Hi everyone! New for Anime Boston 2015 is my panel on Air Combat in Anime! Are you a fan of Top Gun or um....Iron Eagle? Wish The wind Rises had more fighters and explosions? This is the panel for you!
In it we will discuss:
Basics of Air Combat Manuvering
How ACM is applied in anime
The warbirds of anime
The best and worst anime featuring air combat

While no date has been set yet I'll update when the schedule is finalized and I hope to see you all there!
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Re: Air Combat in Anime[New Panel]

Post by AbZeroNow »

Always nice to be able to hear a discussion on the original Area 88 OVAs which I hope get some in-depth stuff about.
Anime Boston attendee since 2011.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Huh, I didn't expect this, but am interested. Fingers crossed for no conflicts on that schedule.
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

If it doesn't collide with anything I plan to do, then I wouldn't mind going. Sounds pretty interesting~.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

Air Combat in Anime is going to be held in the Sheraton Fens Saturday from 6:00 to 7:00pm
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Post by AbZeroNow »

off_kilter wrote:Air Combat in Anime is going to be held in the Sheraton Fens Saturday from 6:00 to 7:00pm
The Sheraton Fens is on the fifth floor(very glad that AB is utilizing more of the Sheraton). Congrats on getting a good Saturday evening spot for it as well. Will make it a priority over other panels at that time.
Haru
Veteran Poster

Post by Haru »

off_kilter wrote:Air Combat in Anime is going to be held in the Sheraton Fens Saturday from 6:00 to 7:00pm
Unfortunately I'm running a panel myself that overlaps that time slot, but as someone whose primary focus is military anime I'm curious about what you thought of "The Princess and the Pilot" along with the spin off anime series "The Pilot's Love Song".
AB 2018 Featured Panelist!
Mongols Can’t Swim: Touring the Battlefields of the Mongol Invasion of Japan
Gaijins, Girls, and Guns: America in Japanese Pop Culture
Yanderes 2.Oh Hell No! (18+)
Stringed Instruments of Japan
Titans vs. Mecha . . . In Space!
Orange is the new black: Love, Loss, and Science Fiction
The Gundam and the Cross: Religious Symbolism in Gundam Seed
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Post by AbZeroNow »

I saw that you posted on a different forum that you were going to talk about Macross in this panel. That is certainly also very welcome(just recently got around to watching Macross Plus that I had bought 3 years ago and am considering importing the Macross Frontier Movie Blu-rays that have English subtitles).

Between this, the Ride of the Valkyres panel and Scarlet Rhapsody's Macross Idol panel....I am already loving the panel selection for this year.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

As a fan of this sort of show (and manga) I'm looking forward to this, and plan to be there. :D 801 TTS Airbats, Macross, Victory Gundam (Shrike Team banzai!), all versions of Area 88, Red Prowling Devil (manga), and the American manga-influenced comic Tigers of Terra are all old friends of mine.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

I just wanted to thank everyone that attended my panel on air combat and bearing with me through some technical difficulties. About a week before the con I lost my hard drive and was left scrambling to put the panel back together. I had back ups, but I lost the center piece of the panel, the video clips. It wasn't untill that morning a friend was able to get me videos I needed.

It also didn't help they put me in the one room that had HDMI when the only thing I was told in the panel application and confirmation was that I needed was a VGA connection. A big thanks to my AB tech guys for finding an adapter cable otherwise there would be no panel period. :)

Also a big thanks to my co-panelist V5SS for helping out and bringing his expertise with him despite being a very busy person this con and being a little under the weather.

I also want to thanks the guys who gave me the post panel feedback and really hit the nail on the head on how to improve the panel which I've begun working on. Consider this the F4F Wildcat edition of the panel. A little clunky, but it did its job and held the line. Next year will be the F6F Hellcat edition, more trimmed down, more streamlined, more powerful and much more battle ready.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

I'd rather have the the F8F Bearcat version. :P As a fan of female pilots in anime, I've a few series to add to your list, which I hope will be helpful for next time. Please excuse me if I make a mistake and include a show whose combat takes place in space.
I've got more (1, 2), but despite the maneuvering in them, they take place in space and/or don't involve airfoil-equipped craft.

You mentioned Last Exile during the panel—I do recommend it for itself and for the air combat. May I also suggest that you throw in a little bit more on John Boyd's Energy-Maneuverability theory?
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Post by AbZeroNow »

Clearly you(liked the Marco cosplay you had) and V5SS had a lot of passion for aviation, and catching your panel back-to-back with Ride of the Valkyries was one of my highlights for Saturday. Yeah, I goofed on thinking a certain plane was part of the Luftwuffe when answering that trivia question (good to see that DocWatson got that one correct though).

Like your copanelist, you clearly had more material than your time allowed for(hopefully if you do them again next year, they will be 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes), and I learned what a proper barrell roll is thanks to you and your copanelist as well as many other air manuevers.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

AbZeroNow wrote:Yeah, I goofed on thinking a certain plane was part of the Luftwuffe when answering that trivia question (good to see that DocWatson got that one correct though).
I blame anime. :D The first Geobreeders OAVs feature a "Rahti" autocannon (Central Park Media's translator also called an M197 a "Balkan" instead of a Vulcan :oops: ), which I looked up, which lead me to the Winter War, which (eventually) led me to read about Finland's more general involvement in WWII and their status as co-belligerents with Germany. (It helped that I'm a quarter Finnish.)

Vehvilainen, Olli (2002). Finland in the Second World War: Between Germany and Russia. Translated by Gerard McAlester. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire; New York: Palgrave. ISBN 0333801490. OCLC 559428401. A very balanced overview of a little-known portion of the war.