888 Bolyston St - Prudential Center Construction: IMPORTANT

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

888 Bolyston St - Prudential Center Construction: IMPORTANT

Post by Aurabolt »

Here's a link to the Article on Boston.com: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... story.html

And here is the article in full. Note the parts I bolded:

A Boston developer is moving ahead with construction of a 17-story office building that will fill the last vacant parcel in the massive Prudential Center office and retail complex.

Executives at Boston Properties Inc. said work on the long-planned tower at 888 Boylston St. is scheduled to begin next month. The project, which will occupy the plaza next to the Hynes Convention Center, will include a total of 422,000 square feet of space, with about 60,000 square feet for retail stores.

The onset of construction was triggered by a lease with Natixis Global Asset Management, a financial firm that has made a commitment to occupy up to 150,000 square feet of the building. Boston Properties said it also is talking to national and international retailers about opening in the complex, but no leases have been signed.

The project, which has proceeded in fits and starts over the years, will bring the new retail shops out to the edge of Boylston, filling the last hole in the 23-acre Prudential Center development, on which construction began in the 1960s.

The building at 888 Boylston will be the fourth office tower in the complex, which includes the Prudential Tower, 111 Huntington Ave., and 101 Huntington Ave.

The Prudential Center also has 550,000 square feet of stores and restaurants, condos and apartments, and the largest parking garage in New England, with 3,660 spaces.

“This project is really the summation of one of America’s most successful mixed-use projects,” said Bryan Koop, regional manager for Boston Properties. “It’s a huge milestone for us.”

Koop said the building will also set a new benchmark from an environmental standpoint, incorporating a rainwater collection system, wind turbines, solar panels, and a rooftop garden, among other features.

“This may not be the tallest building ever built in Boston, but in many ways it will be the most important,” said Koop, adding that it will consume 45 percent less energy than the average office building and cut water usage by 37 percent.

It will also feature floor-to-ceiling glass windows that will allow employees to work without turning the lights on 60 percent of the time.

Boston Properties obtained approval to build from the Boston Redevelopment Authority in 2008, but the down economy left the company unable to find a tenant needed to move forward with construction.

Natixis has committed to occupying five floors, with an option for a sixth. The company, whose corporate office is at 399 Boylston St., is among the world’s largest investment firms, with nearly $900 billion under management. It has added 200 employees in Boston in the past five years.

“It’s going to be a great space that will be built only for us,” said John Hailer, the company's president, said of the 888 Boylston St. tower. “It will give us more flexibility to build our office for the next generation.”

The project is expected to be completed by June 2016.
...As I understand it, Anime Boston will be at the Hynes through 2018 (Can't remember if the lease was extended or not extended at the moment) so plans will have to be made with this in mind for AB2015 and AB2016. Oh and yes they're actually going to build a 17-story building in the city's busiest shopping district within two years' time. They've had alot of experience doing this downtown (LOL!).

All the shops in the Pru that stretched from the food court to the Bolyston St. Entrance on the left hand side of the hallway were closed in advance of the construction. Gamestop included. I spoke to one of the Public Relations folks while I was at the PRU earlier today and he said all the shops forced to close because of the contruction will be given first dibs when the new building opens before they open up space to other retailers. I saw the floor plan for the new retail areas and should Gamestop decide to sign a new lease (They've expressed an interest in returning to the PRU) they're sure to get a much larger space this time. Speaking of Electronics, the PR Rep let it slip they are in talks with Best Buy (which used to be on Mass. Ave. until two years ago) and Radio Shack so we'll see. The wording used was "Radio Shack and Best Buy have both expressed an interest in securing space in the new tower."

Getting back on topic, I'm interested in knowing how AB will operate in 2015 and 2016 with this in mind. That and if AB would consider securing office space in the new building =O
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Re: 888 Bolyston St - Prudential Center Construction: IMPORT

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Thanks for the heads up, we can reach out to the Pru and see how this will affect our event and plan accordingly for 2015 and 2016.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

No prob. I saw the construction going on the last two times I went to the PRU (which was fairly recently) and decided to do some resarch on it after the second visit. I kinda assumed AB was aware there would be construction and this was more for those who would be coming in from out of town.

What this looks like for those who visit the PRU is there is no patio or outdoor seating next to the Food Court anymore. The sky windows facing Boylston St. (behind The Cheeseboy) has been sealed up to obscure the gaping hole on the other side. Also, the Food Court looks like it does at night all the time now: darker and antisocial. The upside is it's now a great place for photo ops I guess. Maybe Anime Boston could put posters up or something?

It was bad enough losing Best Buy but with Gamestop now gone, that leaves The Apple Store and the Microsoft Store for electronics. You can only hope the new building brings at least both retailers back with it XD

...On the other hand, this might being in some extra revenue for vendors in the dealers' room.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

So are both the Bolyston street entrances closed, not counting the Hynes, or just the one near legal seafood.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

The Boylston St. Entrance is still open but the patio is gone. If you exit the Hynes to Boylston St. you'll have to walk past where the courtyard used to be to get into the PRU.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Aurabolt wrote:Here's a link to the Article on Boston.com: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... story.html

And here is the article in full. Note the parts I bolded:

A Boston developer is moving ahead with construction of a 17-story office building that will fill the last vacant parcel in the massive Prudential Center office and retail complex.

Executives at Boston Properties Inc. said work on the long-planned tower at 888 Boylston St. is scheduled to begin next month. The project, which will occupy the plaza next to the Hynes Convention Center, will include a total of 422,000 square feet of space, with about 60,000 square feet for retail stores.

The onset of construction was triggered by a lease with Natixis Global Asset Management, a financial firm that has made a commitment to occupy up to 150,000 square feet of the building. Boston Properties said it also is talking to national and international retailers about opening in the complex, but no leases have been signed.

The project, which has proceeded in fits and starts over the years, will bring the new retail shops out to the edge of Boylston, filling the last hole in the 23-acre Prudential Center development, on which construction began in the 1960s.

The building at 888 Boylston will be the fourth office tower in the complex, which includes the Prudential Tower, 111 Huntington Ave., and 101 Huntington Ave.

The Prudential Center also has 550,000 square feet of stores and restaurants, condos and apartments, and the largest parking garage in New England, with 3,660 spaces.

“This project is really the summation of one of America’s most successful mixed-use projects,” said Bryan Koop, regional manager for Boston Properties. “It’s a huge milestone for us.”

Koop said the building will also set a new benchmark from an environmental standpoint, incorporating a rainwater collection system, wind turbines, solar panels, and a rooftop garden, among other features.

“This may not be the tallest building ever built in Boston, but in many ways it will be the most important,” said Koop, adding that it will consume 45 percent less energy than the average office building and cut water usage by 37 percent.

It will also feature floor-to-ceiling glass windows that will allow employees to work without turning the lights on 60 percent of the time.

Boston Properties obtained approval to build from the Boston Redevelopment Authority in 2008, but the down economy left the company unable to find a tenant needed to move forward with construction.

Natixis has committed to occupying five floors, with an option for a sixth. The company, whose corporate office is at 399 Boylston St., is among the world’s largest investment firms, with nearly $900 billion under management. It has added 200 employees in Boston in the past five years.

“It’s going to be a great space that will be built only for us,” said John Hailer, the company's president, said of the 888 Boylston St. tower. “It will give us more flexibility to build our office for the next generation.”

The project is expected to be completed by June 2016.
...As I understand it, Anime Boston will be at the Hynes through 2018 (Can't remember if the lease was extended or not extended at the moment) so plans will have to be made with this in mind for AB2015 and AB2016. Oh and yes they're actually going to build a 17-story building in the city's busiest shopping district within two years' time. They've had alot of experience doing this downtown (LOL!).

All the shops in the Pru that stretched from the food court to the Bolyston St. Entrance on the left hand side of the hallway were closed in advance of the construction. Gamestop included. I spoke to one of the Public Relations folks while I was at the PRU earlier today and he said all the shops forced to close because of the contruction will be given first dibs when the new building opens before they open up space to other retailers. I saw the floor plan for the new retail areas and should Gamestop decide to sign a new lease (They've expressed an interest in returning to the PRU) they're sure to get a much larger space this time. Speaking of Electronics, the PR Rep let it slip they are in talks with Best Buy (which used to be on Mass. Ave. until two years ago) and Radio Shack so we'll see. The wording used was "Radio Shack and Best Buy have both expressed an interest in securing space in the new tower."

Getting back on topic, I'm interested in knowing how AB will operate in 2015 and 2016 with this in mind. That and if AB would consider securing office space in the new building =O
That explains why that Gamestop was missing when I went to Boston last month. Thanks for posting this!

Makes me wonder how this will affect the convention.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

It was bad enough losing Best Buy a few years ago.

Folks will likely not want to spent too much time in the food court since there is no natural sunlight there anymore. If it rains that weekend that will make things even tougher. This lack of a Gamestop may end up being good for Dealers' Room Vendors who sell video games but we'll see.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Is there no longer any outdoor seating for the food court? This will make things extra cozy.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

GinjaNinja wrote:Is there no longer any outdoor seating for the food court? This will make things extra cozy.

No the Patio's gone but I hear they will increase the number of tables in the other outdoor space (where the fountain is) in exchange.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Aurabolt wrote:
GinjaNinja wrote:Is there no longer any outdoor seating for the food court? This will make things extra cozy.

No the Patio's gone but I hear they will increase the number of tables in the other outdoor space (where the fountain is) in exchange.
Well, I hope so. If that's the case, then hopefully it won't be too bad. However, that courtyard is rarely open during Anime Boston. Well, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

It should be open by then. They actually keep it open longer during Anime Boston. They only close it when it rains so hope it doesn't rain ^_^
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

OrikoMikuni89
Experienced Poster

Post by OrikoMikuni89 »

I wonder what's going to happen to that statue that was on the patio. :cry:
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Pretty sure it'll be relocated to someplace nearby when the building's completed.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

For those of you that want to go to a GameStop, the nearest one to the Hynes now is over on Winter Street.
You can get to by taking the Green line to Park or the Orange line to Downtown Crossing.

But on topic of the construction: This means one of the large outdoor spaces for photoshoots is now gone for good.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

More like most accessible. There is the courtyard for the christian science center across the street from The Cheesecake Factory that could also work. I've seen shoots and meetups done there.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Just wanted to add this in:

Personally, I do not think RadioShack will be going into the new area. The reason is news outlets are saying that RadioShack may be filing for bankruptcy as early as February 2015. This, however, we will have to wait and see.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

as as we can get in the food court and out of there with out a big deal and as long as we can actually get to anime boston peacefully it should be fine
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Well, a couple of days after I posted that comment about RadioShack, RadioShack filed for bankruptcy. I wish they didn't though but there's nothing that can be done at this point.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...Yeah, Office Depot (formerly Office Max) and Staples are merging as well. At the time I made the thread I was unaware Radio Shack was even in trouble O.o;

People have been trash talking Radio Shack online ever since word of its bankruptcy went public. People say the need for them is obsolete. I think that if they change with the times, they can definitely make a comeback.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

No one should be shedding any tears for the demise of that awful company. Here's just one article that goes, at length, into RadioShack's awfulness: http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7281 ... gy-stories

On top of that, they also sued to have a forum employees were using (called "RadioShackSucks") taken down. The employees there eventually organized themselves into a class-action lawsuit against the company, alleging it owed them hours upon hours of unpaid overtime. They won.

In summary: screw RadioShack.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Iszumi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Iszumi »

Sorry to try everyone's patience, but I'm a newbie from out of town who doesn't know her right from her left and who went to AB once (in 2013).
According to a previous post, all the shops in the Boylston Arcade that are on the left hand side are now closed due to construction (but I am assuming that Legal Sea Foods is still open).
Does this mean that Truffles Fine Confections and Godiva are now closed along with Gamestop? Where am I gonna go to get my chocolate fix? :shock:
Also, can anyone recommend some decent places to eat that are in the mall itself? I would prefer not to eat too far away from the Convention Center but since this my second visit to Boston and depending upon the weather, I am also thinking of checking out some of the places around Newbury Street.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Iszumi wrote:Sorry to try everyone's patience, but I'm a newbie from out of town who doesn't know her right from her left and who went to AB once (in 2013).
According to a previous post, all the shops in the Boylston Arcade that are on the left hand side are now closed due to construction (but I am assuming that Legal Sea Foods is still open).
Does this mean that Truffles Fine Confections and Godiva are now closed along with Gamestop? Where am I gonna go to get my chocolate fix? :shock:
Also, can anyone recommend some decent places to eat that are in the mall itself? I would prefer not to eat too far away from the Convention Center but since this my second visit to Boston and depending upon the weather, I am also thinking of checking out some of the places around Newbury Street.
Truffles, Legal Seefood, and Gamestop are all closed. Godvia is still open though.

The Cheesecake Factory is a decent place to eat, and usually the lines aren't too long if you time it right. If you venture to Newbury Street, definitely stop by the Trident Bookstore and Cafe. They're one of my favorite places in town and serve breakfast all day.

Side note, I'm moving this thread to the Boston forum, as the conversation is focusing more on how it impacts the area than the con itself.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Iszumi wrote:Sorry to try everyone's patience, but I'm a newbie from out of town who doesn't know her right from her left and who went to AB once (in 2013).
The Pour House, which is right across Boylston St from the Hynes, is very good. Just be warned that it can be busy. Oh, and if you go in and it looks full, there is more seating downstairs.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Faceman wrote:The Cheesecake Factory is a decent place to eat, and usually the lines aren't too long if you time it right. If you venture to Newbury Street, definitely stop by the Trident Bookstore and Cafe. They're one of my favorite places in town and serve breakfast all day.
My friends and I are going there again on the day before the con starts. Always great food they have there. Can't wait! :)
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Oh gosh, I really hope it doesn't rain during the con weekend this year.. It gets packed on Saturday as it is.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

If you wanna get on the MBTA, you can certainly do it without going outside. There's the Prudential Green Line stop in the Mall. Outbound it ends at Heath St. though I assume folks would wanna use it to go inbound. The Orange Line/Commuter Rail is the same way. There's an underpass that connects Copley Place to Back Bay Station.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I drive by the site on Boylston daily.... and on a bus, so I can see a good bit inside of it. The thing looks like a meteor hit right outside of the Towne bar and was lifted out. It's a huge hole. Can't wait to see what they will do. Still upset Legal Seafood, Tossed, a few food court places, and the whole strip from Godiva towards Boylston is gone. Especially Legal (which was a trademark for us) and Tossed (which was somewhere I actually wanted to try out this year.)

Good thing is I know there's a Legal in the Marriott side on the second floor and that if I wanted to, there's a tossed over in the Business District. Someday~...
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Just to be clear, both the Boylston and Newbury Arcades are closed?
Is anything else on the map below closed?

I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

Mirotic wrote:Just to be clear, both the Boylston and Newbury Arcades are closed?
Only the Boylston Plaza/North Terrace (area outside food court) is closed. The Boylston and Newbury Arcades are OPEN.

The South Garden opening during AB is unknown.

And fyi, Legal Sea Foods had a location in Copley Place for a good while, along with the Prudential location. Think it was closed down a bit for renovation or something.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

aznman08 wrote:
Mirotic wrote:Just to be clear, both the Boylston and Newbury Arcades are closed?
Only the Boylston Plaza/North Terrace (area outside food court) is closed. The Boylston and Newbury Arcades are OPEN.

The South Garden opening during AB is unknown.

And fyi, Legal Sea Foods had a location in Copley Place for a good while, along with the Prudential location. Think it was closed down a bit for renovation or something.
That's much more clear. Thank you very much!
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

The following places specifically are closed, from what I have seen: (Construction reason or otherwise)

Poulet Rotisserie
Chacarero
Tossed
Legal Seafood (There's two more local if desired. One in the Marriott Plaza, and one at the end of Columbus Ave by finale)
Forum

Non-food places:

Brookstone

But there's a Crazy Dough's and a Chipotle opened up in the area now. I think the muffin kiosk in front of Dunkin Donuts is gone too. Sephora moved in the section across from Wagamama. There's a lot going on. The whole strip from Godiva to the Boylston exit has been closed too. Free People may still be there though, I forget.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Also both Gamestop and Legal Sea Foods are gone X.X;

For your non-Microsoft gaming fix outside the dealers' room, you'll have to go to the Gamestop downtown.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

There's still a Legal in the Marriott complex though. Important to note that for people who wanted to go (personally I usually went for one meal at least), it's not far at all.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Seafood restaurants near the Hynes:
Summer Shack on Dalton St.
Atlantic Fish Company on Bolyston St.