Informal Dances on Friday and Saturday 18+?

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Lux1232
I'm new!

Informal Dances on Friday and Saturday 18+?

Post by Lux1232 »

I was wondering, are the informal dances on friday and saturday night going to be 18+ after what happened last year? I'd like to know because i'm a glover, and i go to the dances almost exclusively to give lightshows to people, and overall make everybody's experience that much more fun. I'm 17 though, which is why an age restriction on the dance would affect me. I'm not saying i should get special treatment or something, but if i and other light artists like me can't attend because of the age restriction, its going to hurt the quality of the dance. That sounds really pompous of me, but to be honest its true.
khyron
AB Alumni

Re: Informal Dances on Friday and Saturday 18+?

Post by khyron »

Last year, as you've said, we had some problems at the informal dance. As a consequence, we're looking multiple options to try to make it work for everyone.

Over the past few months, we have been meeting with representatives from the City of Boston, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority, various nightclubs in the area and the Sheraton Boston. We're looking into multiple venues and avenues, but have yet to finalize the plan.

It's unfortunate, but it only takes a few people to cause bigger problems for not just Anime Boston and our attendees, but for all of our partners involved in hosting and planning our convention.

Every year, Anime Boston reviews our programming and how we can better utilize the space we have. We've expanded into additional floors at the Sheraton and shifted rooms around in the Hynes to avoid overcrowding in panel rooms and the hallways. We're still in the process right now.

We expect to finalize all our rooms and most of our programming after we've finished announcing all our Guests of Honor.

So, while we can't say for sure what our final schedule will look like, I encourage you to keep your eyes peeled for information about our upcoming guest announcements and all future programming news.
Andrea M. Finnin

Anime Boston:
Executive Adviser 2017
Emergency Manager - 2015 - 2017
Registration Staff - 2016
Treasury Staff - 2015
Lady Con Chair 2007 - 2014
Vice Chair 2005-2006
Director of Operations 2004
Co-Manager of Security 2003
New England Anime Society:
Board Member and Treasurer 2004 - 2013

Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Can I just say that that sounds like wonderful progress and hope the staff and their partners can reach an agreement that works out for the vast majority of everyone involved? :D It sounds like a vast improvement over the "Nope, we can't do anything about the dance, deal with it"-esque responses immediately after the dance last year. (not to offend any staffers! owo)

Here's hoping for the best!!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
meerkat
Expert Poster

Post by meerkat »

I hate to say it (and I'm not belittling your talent) but being a glover and showing up does not 'improve' the quality of the show. Most people are there to dance. EVERY time I've been to the AB dance, glovers have just gotten in everyone's way. In a less crowded venue, yes, glovers improve the quality of the show. At AB, not true. Actually there have been posts nearly every year about banning glowstick poi inside the dance.

Anyway, there are plenty of over-18 glovers.
Oaths2Oblivion
AB Alumni

Post by Oaths2Oblivion »

I dunno about that- I've been going to the dances for 5 years and glovers have always been a cool addition. And while everyone always complains about the glowstringers, I think it's one of the best parts of the dance and can turn a lull in the music between DJ's into a really cool time for them to show off. That being said, to do either when it may be construed as obtrusive is annoying- don't try to glowstring where you could hit anyone or glove where there's too many bodies. It's really a matter of opinion.
Blocked, Reported, Found Dead in a Ditch, Expelled, and Sent to bed with no Dinner
momotaros
Getting the hang of this...

Post by momotaros »

I whole heartedly agree. At dances and parties I've been to too, glovers were cool to watch (and even try to out do!), when it was really crowded, incedents do happen. Last party I went to, a fight actually broke out because a glover accidently smacked some dudes girlfriend. needless to say, the guy did not take it very well. So, not too rag on all you glovers, but please try to keep it under control.
'13: Momotaros/Urataros/Ryataros/Nogami (Kamen Rider Den-O)
'14: Spartan Soldier.