Parking Suggestions?

If you're new to the city or taking the T in from out of town, this is where you can get advice from people living in The Hub. Please keep discussion limited to things in and around Boston.
jensun
Getting the hang of this...

Parking Suggestions?

Post by jensun »

Personally I'm staying at the sheraton for the con, but the prices for parking are a bit out of my limit. I don't understand how to make parking more affordable but having ease of access to my car.
With check in/out being during convention times wouldnt luggage have to be in a car then? I know the T has cheap parking but then it would be difficult to get to your car to put luggage away or whatever and get back to the con..

How do others deal with parking, check in/out times and their bags and other stuff:?:
First con ever ~AB 2013~
AB 2014; Mephisto (ao no exorcist) and Maka (Soul Eater) c:
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Re: Parking Suggestions?

Post by Risikafox »

I personally am planning on parking at Quincy Adams the whole weekend, much cheaper than Boston prices at $8 a night(currently). You can have your hotel hold your luggage when you check out, just be prepared to leave $1-3 per bag as a tip.
jensun

Post by jensun »

So, are you parking there and then what? How do you get to the hotel easily with your stuff? O:
Would they hold it for the rest of the con? (And is that safe, wont get lost or anything?) Do you just go ask the front desk to hold them when you check out?

Thanks for the response btw :D
First con ever ~AB 2013~
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Post by Risikafox »

I just take it with me on the subway. It's best to bring as few bags as possible, and the less awkward your luggage, the easier it is to travel with. Wheels are a must, haha. You might have a little trouble on the Green Line with large amounts of luggage, mainly because their cars are built differently and there can be high amounts of traffic at certain times of day.

I've never had the hotel hold my luggage for more than 8 hours or so, but yes. Most hotels have a baggage check/claim area, the exception being the Sheraton on the last day of the con. As the main hotel, they have a lot more luggage to deal with, so they usually set up one of the event rooms for bag check on Sunday. There will be signage though. They'll give you a numbered ticket for each of the bags you check, and when you go to pick it up, you NEED to have that ticket to claim your luggage. They will also usually ask you to describe the bag before they grab it for you, to make sure it's actually your luggage.
jensun

Post by jensun »

Thanks a BUNCH, that really helps me and really just makes everything so much easier haha
First con ever ~AB 2013~
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Post by Risikafox »

You're welcome. :) It's not very often that I know anything remotely useful, so I'm glad I could help.
jensun

Post by jensun »

Haha xD what are you doing with your stuff before you can check in? I've heard the con starts before hotel check ins for that day (I couldnt book a room at the sheraton for the day before). Or do you just skip out on what is happening and go for when check in is?
First con ever ~AB 2013~
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Post by Risikafox »

You can try requesting early check-in, although the hotel may not be able to honor all such requests due to room availability. You can also just check your bags before check-in. At $2 a bag, if you have 3 bags that would still only be $12 for the weekend(bag check both Friday and Sunday). Also, if you have friends who have already checked in, you could leave your stuff in their room for a couple hours.

I've never personally had a problem getting into my room at any hotel before noon.
jensun

Post by jensun »

Thanks so much again, I really appreciate all your information! :D
First con ever ~AB 2013~
Risikafox
Veteran Poster

Post by Risikafox »

You're welcome, hope your first con goes smoothly. :)