Black Orchid Ball

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2009.
BeyondCatharsis
Getting the hang of this...

Black Orchid Ball

Post by BeyondCatharsis »

did anyone go?
care to share your experiences?
im considering going in 2010 but it dosen't seem like many people go
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Black Orchid Ball

Post by Phantom 1 »

I went. It was fantastic but for one thing, I felt a little awkward there. Not just because I was your typical awkward-feeling otaku and not just because I felt like the only single person there, but because I was nervous about asking some people to dance because they looked like they were 12. Now nothing against those under 18 but I'm 27 (soon to be 28). How do you think people would react if they saw me dancing with someone half my age?
5th_Division_Captain
Veteran Poster

Black Orchid Ball

Post by 5th_Division_Captain »

Actually, a lot of people did go last year. AB 2009 was my very first con and I did other ones after that! As far as the ball goes, it was a great experience. Like others, I did feel a bit awkward at first because I was nervous about asking for dances and stuff like that (I missed the dance lessons beforehand because I had to walk almost a mile back to my hotel to get ready and I regret going to the lesson!!!). But after awhile, I felt more comfortable and did a few dances.

As far as the age thing goes, I was lucky and the few dances I was in, the girls were all around my age (20-22). However, you can dance with anyone just as friends or fellow otakus. Most of my fangirls from AB and other cons are a lot younger than me, but we're all just good friends. If any of them were to go and either they asked me to dance or I asked them to, there'd be nothing awkward about it.

I was still debating about whether I would go back to the ball or not this year. But, a recent email I received from one of the girls I danced with convinced me to do it! So, as soon as tickets become available online, I'll be there.
RC
Veteran Poster

Black Orchid Ball

Post by RC »

I ended up going with my friend, however I had never danced before and although the dance was fun, I accidentally dropped her... ^^;

Yeah, she isn't going to let me live that down.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Black Orchid Ball

Post by Miyu chan »

Yeah, in the ballroom world, being dropped by your partner is generally not easily forgiven.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Black Orchid Ball

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

That year was may 1st con and the ball was amazing. I went all by myself and was nervous at first. I began to dance with different people and realize that other were also as nervous. The best part was when I danced with this one girl who refused to look at me as we were dancing. I asked her what was wrong, and she relpied, "Your really cute." I smiled and said "Thank you":) I then danced with her for the rest of the night. She made made my night and I hope that I made her's :)
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
RC
Veteran Poster

Black Orchid Ball

Post by RC »

...*sorry*
Last edited by RC on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Didn't realize I'd said it already!