Just how does the game room work?

If it's a game that you plug into the wall or the game runs on batteries, you can find them inside this forum.
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Post by Badonkadonk »

AB 2011 will be my first major convention, so please forgive me if any of my questions seem really stupid.

I haven't been able to find any information on the Anime Boston website explaining how the games room actually works. At the last convention I went to, which was run by students at my school, attendees brought in displays, consoles and games and they were available for other attendees to check out over the course of the weekend. Are the games at Anime Boston provided by attendees or by the staff? If all of the games are predetermined and provided by the staff, can we expect a list of games that will be there some time soon?

I'm mainly trying to find out what games will be available and if players will be allowed to bring their own equipment, such as arcade sticks.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Post by kamahlrf »

If staff views this post, feel free to correct me, and sorry if I was not supposed to answer! <3

There is usually 2 video game rooms. One run by AnimeBoston staff, and another run by an outsourced company. Do not take my word for it that it will be the same this year, just saying from my past 6 amazing visits to AB. (Soon to be 7, wewt.)

There are televisions as well as consoles/controllers brought by staff/donated by attendees. All you have to do is show up and enjoy :D AB Staff has always been on top of things being setup in great fashion. TONS of stations setup for all systems, running all different types of games, so there is something to interest all crowds.

As for a list of games, there is usually a decent summary posted nearing the actual con.
There is usually a list of what tournaments will be ran throughout the weekend as well. (More detailed lists such as day/time isn't usually available until @ the con)

For controllers, you are more then welcome to bring your own. If you do not feel like lugging around a controller, you simply hand over your badge in exchange for a controller at the main counter setup in the VG Room, and when you're done, return it to claim your precious badge. That is for CONTROLLERS. As for arcade sticks, I am not too sure on the details to be honest. From what I saw last year, the only ones available were people bringing their own, but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Again, sorry if I was mistaken anywhere! <3
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

[quote=Kamahlrf]If staff views this post, feel free to correct me, and sorry if I was not supposed to answer! <3

There is usually 2 video game rooms. One run by AnimeBoston staff, and another run by an outsourced company. Do not take my word for it that it will be the same this year, just saying from my past 6 amazing visits to AB. (Soon to be 7, wewt.)[/quote]

This is incorrect. As of 2010, we consolidated the two game rooms into one. The video game room will again be in Hall C this year. The rest of your comment will have to be answered by the company running our game room this year.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Post by Badonkadonk »

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just wait for the games to be announced.
DeMarcus
Committed Poster

Post by DeMarcus »

[quote=Badonkadonk]Thanks for the info, I guess I'll just wait for the games to be announced.[/quote]

I'll make a new thread tomorrow explaining the details out...

Sorry I'm at a con right now and I'm typing this from my phone...
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Post by Badonkadonk »

Excellent, looking forward to the full details.