Phase 2 start & craft/accessory sellers.

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
dolly
Getting the hang of this...

Post by dolly »

I hope I don't seem impatient, but I was curious when phase 2 begins. This is my first time trying to get a table for AB and I really just have no idea how long the whole process takes, but would like some kind of idea so I know when to start watching my inbox.

I plan on selling accessories and craft stuff, as well as prints, and I'm curious what kind of craft stuff sells better than others. Things like character plushies, jewelry, lolita accessories, or anything really, is there something you've found that people love and you quickly sell out of, or something that despite how much you like it, and even how many people are interested in it, no one seems to bother with.

Since I do both art and crafts I would like to know which I should focus more on.

Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

phase 2 starts when my weekends are not booked (aka, it will NOT be october) and i have had a chance to sort through everything, and the webmaster can tell me that final checks on the phase 2 forms and links are completed.

aka, i don't actually know. i'm sorry i can't give you an exact date on it. but it won't be october and i DO want to finish this before xmas.

thanks for the interest and good luck
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
dolly

Post by dolly »

Ok! That's good to know then! Like I said, I wasn't all "I want it nooooow" I was just curious XD
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

To answer the other part: usually my accessory stuff (earrings and the like) sell a bit better than my less functional items but it does depend on the crowd. I had trouble selling premade plushies the first time I tried (I think I ask too much for them, but I'm not wasting my time). I do much better having a sample and booking commissions for plushies. :D
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=SailorAstera]I do much better having a sample and booking commissions for plushies. :D [/quote]

Understandable. That way you don't have to hope you make the ones people will want. Instead, they get to order what they want.

I usually do fairly well selling accessories and accessory-like items. I made some wing charms this past year that actually sold fairly well (still working on perfecting them), and bookmarks, magnets, etc. go well because they're cheaper than prints. People are more likely to have a bit of loose change rattling around and are more willing to part with it because it's small change.
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

Yeah it's definitely a great idea to have things on your table that are in the $1-2 range because sometimes people really like your work and want to support you but don't want to or can't spend more than that. Con budgeting! So difficult! :o
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
dolly

Post by dolly »

Thanks for all the advice! I had heard that for print sellers things like bookmarks were a good idea, and I don't know why I didn't assume that the same idea wouldn't translate to accessories and stuff XD
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Yep! Bookmarks, stickers (where allowed), magnets, postcards, notecards.... I also have "mini-prints," which are 4.25"x5.5" (1/4 sheet of paper) and less than half the price of 8.5"x11" prints, which go relatively well too. I even had someone at AAC this weekend who asked if I had other prints in that size beyond what was on my table. So smaller and cheaper is good. They may not appear to add up as quickly, but they do eventually add up.
DevilNeverCry
Probably should be on AB staff

Post by DevilNeverCry »

[quote=Kogarashi][quote=SailorAstera]I do much better having a sample and booking commissions for plushies. :D [/quote]

Understandable. That way you don't have to hope you make the ones people will want. Instead, they get to order what they want.

I usually do fairly well selling accessories and accessory-like items. I made some wing charms this past year that actually sold fairly well (still working on perfecting them), and bookmarks, magnets, etc. go well because they're cheaper than prints. People are more likely to have a bit of loose change rattling around and are more willing to part with it because it's small change.[/quote]

Wow, that's actually really cool. So that being said, it's a good idea to have sample images of things you've done/order forms for plushies/pillows with you at a con than to actually drag product with you.

^_^ I'll keep that in mind while building up my portfolio. I made pillows last year as prizes for a couple of panels that I did, and people in the audience/ those who have seen the images on Deviant Art seemed to be really excited about them.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Nakano-san]Wow, that's actually really cool. So that being said, it's a good idea to have sample images of things you've done/order forms for plushies/pillows with you at a con than to actually drag product with you.[/quote]

Most definitely. I sell mostly flat art and painted fans, but I've done more than enough pictures that I don't want to try to bring stock of everything only to sell four prints total. So my binder shows all the pieces I'm willing to sell, plus a section for previous commissions I've done to show off what I can do and a section for fans I've done in the past as examples.
There've been a few times, AAC this weekend included, where people have asked for prints I don't have with me, so I go home and get one made up and mail it.
DevilNeverCry
Probably should be on AB staff

Post by DevilNeverCry »

Awesome.

Since my tablet pen broke down, I've been doing alot more artisan crafts than actual drawings/prints, and I have more planned out.

I've been taking photos of the crafts anyway to put onto my dA, so I'll make sure I keep the original files. Thanks a bunch!