Cosplayer's Invade Boston Vol.3 (Pedestrian Reactions)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2009.
0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r
Veteran Poster

Post by 0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r »

My favorite thing was going into cherry-mart on newbury st. The staff was obviously enjoying the people coming in from the convention ^.^

But there were two local japanese girls that came in while i was getting Nom's; And they just kept kinda looking over at me and then giggling in the really shy super cute way.
It was adorable.

I overheard a lot of ignorant reactions, and saw many baffled reactions.
Saturday walking through the mall i heard a couple talking as I passed bye, the bf with the usual "I wonder whats going on" and the gf responding with "there must be a play of some sort."
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

After closing ceremonies, a few cosplayers were still on the lawn at the convention center. I noticed a mom and her little girl (I figure 10 or so) just turn their heads with blank expressions, and then they stepped outside. I followed and said politely, "Welcome to Anime Boston."

I explained briefly what was going on and why these people were in such outrageous outfits (and also said how many months went into some of them.) They watched from a distance (like some folk watch grizzly bears from a distance, I suppose), and then went on their way after a decent interval.

At least they didn't run screaming... :p

AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
APimpNamedGendo
Expert Poster

Post by APimpNamedGendo »

I had all of 2 people ask about it... one knew it was going on and wanted in on Artist Alley (too late this year, but I hooked him up with the site so he could look into next), and the other asked and I quote "What's with the freak show!"

I laughed.
snowtay
AB Alumni

Post by snowtay »

While standing outside the Sheraton for a breathe of fresh air in my costume, I had a guy come up to me and thank me. He explained that he had been working on repairs around the Pru, and that all the costumes made his day really entertaining. Best reaction ever. ^_^
Snow
Cosplay Games Staff 2011-2017, 2020
Prez
Expert Poster

Post by Prez »

On the subway ride there, me and my anime club were all on the same subway car, and everybody in there, except for a few other fellow con people, were Asian. Some of them kept giving us weird looks, but most of them looked like they were used to it.

My mom was funny. She didn't want to go to the con, because she didn't want to "pay twenty-five bucks to hang out with a bunch of weirdos in costume."

Also, after the Con, a random old lady asked me what I was dressed up for. I told her it was for an anime con, and she was like "... animation?" So I said yah and moved on. I was surprised she got that.

I had a lady ask me what the day in the life of the average con goer was like. xD She made me recount everything I could about the con. It was kind of creepy, but nice. At least she knew what I was dressed up for...
Threads
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Threads »

I had a 20 minute walk to the convention center and aside from fleeting glances, I had one guy ask me "What's with the toolbelt?". The "toolbelt" in question was the gun holster I made.
Chimera
Experienced Poster

Post by Chimera »

Hmm everyone I met and explained the convention to were cool. I did have one guy come up to me and say.."I know who you are, you're the kid with the dog and the duck"
The_Kurro_Thing
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Kurro_Thing »

[quote=Krys-chan]I had a lot of people come up to me and ask why i was all dressed up. First it was on our way to the Marriot from the convention and then back in the Marriot hotel lobby. Both times it was these older woman asking what was going on and I was trying to explain. They did not know what anime was. So to simplify it I just said "Japanese cartoons"

Also did anyone notice that the National Lacrosse finals were being held this weekend? I had a lot of weird stairs from people in the Marriot who were there for that...[/quote]

Speaking of Lacrosse... My boyfriend was dressed as red coat Alucard from Hellsing, and so this guy that was a fan of a lacrosse team with the colors red and white asked us to pose for them, and then made his poor 7 year old kid pose with us.

Most people were really nice, although it was hilarious on Saturday, because I was dressed up as Seras Victoria complete with 5ft Harkonnen cannon, but I got asked what was going on more times in that costume than any other. I wonder where common sense went; 'Let's ask the girl carrying the huge gun what's going on. YEAH!'

On the other hand, walking through the Pru was a bit of a nightmare, some people would just give me really snotty looks, and a lot called us freaks when we were still in hearing distance. People just looked angry this year. It was kind of disappointing.
Satan12
I'm new!

Post by Satan12 »

Where were these lacrosse players? Didn't see them at all.

But when my friends and I walked to the convention center from our hotel we had to pass the duck tours. It was hilarious really. The tourists were touring the tourists. We're from New York so it was pretty funny to see all the parents and kids look at us with both fascination and confusion.
PaperclippedMime
I'm new!

Post by PaperclippedMime »

[quote=I Am Not Kira]One hguy came up to us before in cosplay and asked what was going on, we told him...

And then Ed and I WERE in cosplay and went to eat. We sat next to a family of 4, with two little girls who looked terrorized by our appearance. We said we wouldn't bite, explained to their parents, and ate our meal with the girls staring at us...

And then we ate at the same place he next day and some guy was like... "Those outfits are really neat... what's going on today? Those costumes are awesome!"[/quote]

Haha, I had a very similar experience with a little child. I was dressed as Kankuro from Naruto, and I was walking with my puppet on my back back to the con center from the food court. Eventually, I noticed this family of a mom with a little baby in her arms, an aunt and a little girl walking alongside me. The little girl would stare at my puppet, then look back at her mom, and then back at my puppet, all with the most freaked out expression I have ever seen on a child's face - if I made any movement in her direction, she probably would have started crying. I just kinda looked at the mom apologetically, trying not to laugh at the same time, but she laughed it off, so it was cool. |D

Other than that, I think there were maybe two people that asked our group of cosplayers what was going on, and, needless to say, we got lots of stares from people for our Silent Hill costumes. XD
SavannahBanana13
Experienced Poster

Post by SavannahBanana13 »

When I was on the elevator at my hotel on Friday night on the way to the con, about 3 or 4 other boys were in the elevator with me and my group. They didn't know what the hell was going on, so they were just making fun of us. I was just like "you know we can hear 'ya, right?" and they just looked at me. When they were getting out of the elevator, my brother shouted at them "I'll be laughing when you end up working at McDonalds!!!" and I was just like *facepalm*
2009 - Sakura Haruno (Naruto)
2010 - Girlycard (Hellsing: The Dawn)
2011 - Erik (the Phantom of the Opera)
2012 - Double D (Ed Edd N Eddy)
2013 - Double D (Ed Edd N Eddy)
2014 - Tina Belcher (Bob's Burgers)

2015 possibilities
-Yoko Littner (Gurren Lagann)
-fem!Izaya (Durarara)
-Girlycard (Hellsing: The Dawn)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SavannahElizabethPaul
Twitter: @savannah_paul
Tumblr & Instagram: somechicknamedsavannah
NekoKage
I'm new!

Post by NekoKage »

My friends and I got asked the usual what's everyone dressed up for? and what's going on? During the weekend. We got quite a few stares especially on Friday night after the ball and we went to Vinny T's for drinks. I was the only one that had an abnormal colored wig on. It was rather funny. And in concern to those that had bad experiences with non con goers the best thing to do is ignore them. Because they're opinions don't matter.
Crash Override
Veteran Poster

Post by Crash Override »

I think the only bad experience I can say was not even directed at me. I was taking to my hotel room on saturday and some girl was waiting in her costume which was scantily clad. I forget which series it's from but it's a girl with like boots, shorts and a bra with red flames on it. She was pretty cute but like there was this drunk guy nearby and he's whispering to his equally drunk friend about her and how they'd like to do things. They kept on edging closer towards her in like a creepy rapist way so I kinda just blocked them as the train came so the girl and I think her boyfriend could get on but they couldnt. The trains were packed so all of them couldnt squeeze in and they had to take another train. Good thing to cause I would have followed them if they did get on the train with her and called the cops or something.
We are all the same when it comes to cosplay. Our motives may be different but in the end we all just want to play pretend.
blueski3s

Post by blueski3s »

on saturday night, i was on the t with my friends and these bro girls were making fun of this girl dressed up as pikachu. then the girl must have said something and the bro girls were nice all of a sudden, probably embarrassed, so my friends mentioned how i could sing the jigglypuff song and one of the bro girls said she knew it, so i called her out on it. she could only sing it after i sang it like four or five times. i got your back pikachu girl!
idioticpi

Post by idioticpi »

I was walking to a ramen shop with my friend...she was wearing gothic lolita clothes and I was wearing this long pink lolita dress I borrowed from a friend (not a real lolita outfit, but it was fun to wear nonetheless ^^). Just about everyone we passed stared at us...even this old couple in a car XD
But there was this one woman walking with 2 other people, and she looked at me as if I was disgusting or something. It was really rude. o.o
But there was one thing I learned (this was my first con ever btw): if people stare at you, stare right back. Like, right in their eyes. They look away instantly XD It might be rude, but hey, they were being rude first. :p
jughands
Veteran Poster

Post by jughands »

I was waiting for a ride on Saturday night just after the baseball game let out...needless to say, I got heckled quite a bit by some drunk college kids. :D

And on Sunday, in my Mudkip cosplay, my friend tried to adopt me out to random passerby on the street. It was fun, though they all stared at like we were insane. P:
:mrgreen:
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

On Saturday my friend and I stopped by the cute little salad place, but earlier in the day there were a lot of couples and the such sitting there having lunch, or inside atleast...

Well, let me say for the record I have not indulged in any yuri actions as of yet (?!)...
But there happened to be a college couple staring at my friend and I while we were looking at the map,
And between the couple and us was a yuri couple making out.
So without any words said, the couple just looks up at me and my friend, and the difference in their reactions was SO FREAKIN' HILARIOUS.

The girl's like, "Ewwwwww.........."
((Normie prep, BTW))
The guy's like, "So when are you guys starting?"
I think I ended up winking at the guy,
then my friend started blushing and we scurried to the live-gaming room...
(Major Go addicts, right here. ^^)
xXmisamarasanXx

Post by xXmisamarasanXx »

omg i have a funny one!!

Me and my friend James were taking all of our stuff from our room in the Midtown hotel to a hotel room in the Sheraton that our friends were staying in. And that day i was being chii from chobits, soooo i decided to wear the chii wig with my usual everyday outfit. (which looks like a misa outfit, but to me its an everyday outfit xD)

As we were walking we were getting the usual stares from people inside the windows of nail salons and such and we came to the crossing that would bring us to the prudential mall entrance. Stopping for us was one of those Duck Tour Boat/Bus things and there was an anouncer person talking to the tourists. And as i came close to the end of the crossing i heard from the anouncer guy "Yes i think she's very cute too" and i looked back and people were laughing, waving, and smiling at me. Of course since i was in a hurry carring a bunch of stuff, i just looked back and smiled. :p
APimpNamedGendo
Expert Poster

Post by APimpNamedGendo »

[quote=idioticpi]I was walking to a ramen shop with my friend...she was wearing gothic lolita clothes and I was wearing this long pink lolita dress I borrowed from a friend (not a real lolita outfit, but it was fun to wear nonetheless ^^). Just about everyone we passed stared at us...even this old couple in a car XD
But there was this one woman walking with 2 other people, and she looked at me as if I was disgusting or something. It was really rude. o.o
But there was one thing I learned (this was my first con ever btw): if people stare at you, stare right back. Like, right in their eyes. They look away instantly XD It might be rude, but hey, they were being rude first. :p [/quote]

What's so rude about that? I would think meeting the eyes is a mark of respect. I know I respect it, anyway...
ShayPericulae

Post by ShayPericulae »

I have a few stories. I was a in a Hellsing group, dressed as Alucard, and I went in partial-costume on Amtrak. Well, when we got on the train, I was told that I was Carmen Sandiago or on of the Cardinals from Angels and Demons by the train conductor. We got some glares, some weird looks, the usual. Then, coming out of the station in Boston, some jerks who were hanging out by the door saw me in costume and started making fun of my Alucard hat, being all sarcastic about it, pointing and laughing. Well, I just smiled at them and told them thank you and walked away laughing. They thought I was the biggest weirdo EVER. It was great. And we passed by duck boats where we got several fun looks and waves, went into the Stop and Shop and shopped for sushi and pop tarts in full costume (one guy saw us coming down the aisle, stopped short, turned around, and booked it down a different one. It was hilarious). It was a LOT of fun.
ShayPericulae

Post by ShayPericulae »

Oh, I have one more...

We were some of people who were hanging out in the hotel windows and writing our numbers along with about thirty others doing the same thing, and one guy called our number asking us what the hell was going on and why there was such a big costume party going on. We spent about twenty minutes explaining things to him and dancing with other window-ers. It was great.
Grimmjow

Post by Grimmjow »

[color:#4981CE]LOL.[/color]
nebula
Expert Poster

Post by nebula »

I was Misa, and my friend was Isabella from Paradise Kiss. While on the T, a woman came up to us and asked us where we were going. I'd made a comment earlier to my Isabella friend about how she looked like she was dressed for church. So I promptly responded to the lady, "We're going to church!" she gave us one of these o.O