Rock Band Tournament

If it's a game that you plug into the wall or the game runs on batteries, you can find them inside this forum.
diz
AB Staff

Rock Band Tournament

Post by diz »

Your mission if you choose to accept it is [color:purple]to rock the faces off my esteemed panel of judges[/color].

Since point totals involve too much math for Buckethead's lil brain, finishing the song is the only electronic requirement we have. We'll be grading completely subjectively on song choice, vocal ability and rock-n-roll-face-pwnage.

That's right. Painkiller on Expert doesn't impress us. We'll also be taking the opportunity to critique your performances.

You know what they say about free advice.... :D

Contests will be held Friday at 11:30AM and Saturday 11:30AM (With exhibition sets and practice time pre game.)

We'll be taking 5 bands for each Contest from the preregistered attendees. All band members must be attending Anime Boston. If you don't have a band don't worry. There will be a sign up sheet for 5 more pickup bands available at the Sheraton VG room. You must have a full four person band to compete.

Got the chops? forum message me the following:

Band Name: (if i can look you up on rockband.com all to the good)

Member names and Badge Numbers: (So i can make sure your preregged)

Initial Song Choice: (All you lucky preregged bands get to pick your 1st round song ahead of time! I'll make sure they're on my xbox for you to perform.)
Expert Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Justin »

This is actually a great idea.

No, seriously, playing Rock Band/GH for score is scrappy doo, nobody has fun watching 4 dudes sweat through their shirts, staring blankly at a screen, mouths slightly agape.

However, people bouncing around doing 1 handers while flashing horns while the drummer moves his entire torso is awesome.
diz
AB Staff

Rock Band Tournament

Post by diz »

less nerd. more awesumsause.
100% asst. prog. dir. approved.
Expert Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by VoD »

That's an amazing idea, but I can only flip out while playing real drums. XD
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by lunchbox »

This sounds like a seriously awesome thing to do, I might swing by if i can to watch it happen.
Inkeres Song
Getting the hang of this...

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Inkeres Song »

This does sound pretty awesome.
After the initial song choice, how will the rest of the songs be chosen?
DarkSavior

Rock Band Tournament

Post by DarkSavior »

Oh god yes. Awesome format for a tournament. Now to find a band that's looking for a drummer.
DizzE Yuki
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by DizzE Yuki »

Couple of questions... About how long will the tournament last? and also, do the band members have to stick to the same instrument throughout the competition or can they swap instruments between songs? Thanx, and Awesome idea!!
Exploding Potato
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Exploding Potato »

DLC songs, RB1 songs or are we stuck with the RB2 setlist?
Prince
Experienced Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Prince »

How do we know how many band spots are left?

Is this schedule for both Friday and Saturday (at 11) or is this more specific and not listed as of yet?

I'm pre-reg, bringing a friend (not pre-reg'd) and just need 2 more. If I get them, can we sign-up?

((If you are reading that, we would need a bassist and a singer!! Interested anyone?!?))
DarkSavior

Rock Band Tournament

Post by DarkSavior »

What kind of drum set will be used? Can drummers bring their own bass pedal/sticks?
Exploding Potato
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Exploding Potato »

I have a band of four people, but none of us are preregged. Are full bands prereg only?
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by cwong617 »

I would like to be a bass gutarist please. As long as it's not the song "vision".
Shad0w325
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Shad0w325 »

I'm an expert drummer if anyone's interested in forming a band. E-mail me if you're interested, because I don't regularly check the AB forums.
diz
AB Staff

Rock Band Tournament

Post by diz »

oh wow! Kids sorry it's close to AB so I've been seriously neglecting your questions for other AB prep.

but to answer in line.
There are about 8 more slots for the competion. Bands can sign up at the Sheraton VG room on friday. Your full 4 band members must be present at ROLL CALL fifteen minutes before the start of the event. Else you forfit your slot. We'll be running the tourney in the grand ball room not the VG room. (Better acoustics and funner lights and what not.)

The sign up sheet will have a place for individuals to collect into pick up bands. Don't be shy.

As long as two members of the band have preregged ids I'll allow forum sign up. Please forum mail me to do so.

I'm thinking about cancelling the Saturday game. There might be some stress with scheduling it. If friday fills up I'll see about keeping it. The response has been really positive so far though.

Bucket Head is also excited.

Veteran Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by cwong617 »

How do I reply to you, if I don't know your email adress? Also, I play bass guitar, but I'm shaky on the really hard bass songs. I'm pre-regged, also.
diz
AB Staff

Rock Band Tournament

Post by diz »

Under the My Forums button at the top of the forum page click on Start a private topic and Invite Diz!

Diz
Experienced Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Prince »

Hope you're still around checking this... but...

What is the play count?
Do we do a 2 or 3 song gig? Or one song for the books? I know it's more show then score... but that is why I ask.

Also... how is song selection managed? Our pick, audience/judges pic, random?
Prince
Experienced Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Prince »

Double post because I can't edit -- :(

Looks like we've gotten us a Bass, so the only thing left is a singer. Any girls or guys out there interested in singing for our band? And willing to put on a good show --- because, hey, it's all about the show right? :thumbup:

Let me know here or private topic if you're up for the singing gig!

Also, Diz, we need a band name... right?
Shad0w325
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Shad0w325 »

Sorry guys... My e-mail is shad0w325@hotmail.com lol
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by cwong617 »

our band name should be call "mute'e"
JimTheFly
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by JimTheFly »

Just one question about something that I didn't see mentioned and one possibly unique situation:

- What songs will be available aside from the base Rock Band 2 songs? All the DLC, some of it? Will Rock Band 1 songs be included??

- I've got a band that I've joined, but there might be a small concern with the pre-registration concerning me. I'm working at a table in Con Row, so I myself haven't pre-registered. My badge is most probably listed under the name of the con I'm helping out. Would this be any problem?

Prince
Experienced Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Prince »

Jim, meet Cwong (the bass), Cwong meet Jim... the Singer. LOL

Cwong, sorry if I'm messing up your avatar name... I didn't copy from the main screen and can't look back now -- plus - it's early. LOL

Cwong and me are both pre-regs, so we can get in with that. Diz hasn't been online yet, so it might be up to who ever gets in early to run sign us up (I'll be morning, but closer to 9/10am.)

DIZ:
Do you have DLC for RB 2? Oasis songs (wonderwall, live forever), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Under the Bridge, Dani California), or even some of the classic rock (Gimmie 3 steps, The Joker, etc)?
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by cwong617 »

wat's dlc?
Prince
Experienced Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Prince »

Downloaded Content (360)
sigmab3ta
I'm new!

Rock Band Tournament

Post by sigmab3ta »

Expert drummer looking for a band... I'm a pretty lively performer so I won't hold you down.

As it turns out, my badge says "Prince" on it since I was going to cosplay as the Prince of Persia, before I remembered I was a poor college student.

That said, if you could make sure to have the Rush Moving Pictures album (any or all of it) that'd be pretty sweet.
Echan
Veteran Poster

Rock Band Tournament

Post by Echan »

I'm sorry to say this, but I was very disappointed with the organization (or lack thereof) for the tournament. I got together a cosplay-coordinated band, expecting the tournament to start at 11:30 on Friday. Instead when we got there they said it would "probably" start at 2pm and that Friday was only the prelim rounds, none of which had been communicated to us when we signed up. We all had other commitments that afternoon so we couldn't wait around for the 2pm contest.
I understand that scheduling always changes at-con, often due to things outside of anyone's control, but it was unfair to the prereg bands to change the whole tournament setup so drastically.
LargeLloyd

Rock Band Tournament

Post by LargeLloyd »

[color:red]To anyone,[/color]

[color:orange]I would love to sign up for the tournament but I can only do some songs on expert Guitar good. I can play any song on Bass Expert if you are looking for someone plz give me an private message and I will get right back to you.[/color]

[color:red]Thanks,[/color]
[color:orange]LargeLloyd[/color]
The_Graverobber

Rock Band Tournament

Post by The_Graverobber »

Diz, will there be a list of the songs available at the con for the pick-up registration? Unfortunately I don't have any friends who are going that play RB so I can't do the early sign-up.

And here's some shameless plug - For those needing another member I can play guitar and sing on hard/expert, most songs at the same time given a mic stand.