Anime Boston 2015 Art Contest: Kaiju vs Mecha!

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Faceman
AB Executive

Anime Boston 2015 Art Contest: Kaiju vs Mecha!

Post by Faceman »

Anime Boston is proud to announce that we will be once again hosting an art contest!

In accordance with our 2015 theme of Kaiju vs Mecha, we're looking for artists to submit their own creations of kaiju and/or mecha. Let your imaginations run wild!

In addition, you must also submit a brief back story of your creation telling us who - or what - it is.

Judging
Judging of entries will be based upon several criteria:
-Adherence to the 2015 theme of Kaiju vs Mecha
-Creativity and Originality
-How well the artwork depicts the back story.

Judging will be performed by the Anime Boston Social Media Staff. Results will be announced within two weeks of the contest's conclusion.

Prizes
Of course, no contest is complete without prizes! For this year, our prizes will be:
-Grand Prize: One (1) 8-foot table space in the Anime Boston 2015 Artists' Alley and one (1) weekend badge for Anime Boston 2015.
-Runner Up: One (1) weekend badge to Anime Boston 2015.
-Honorable Mentions: Placement in the Art Gallery at Anime Boston 2015.

Aside from convention programming, the Art Gallery will also serve as advertising for the artists. Artists' contact information and Artists' Alley booth numbers will be listed. This prime location will increase your visibility beyond the walls of the Artists' Alley.

All entries will be posted on our website and forums, along with information about the piece and artist.

Rules
There are some simple rules to this contest:
-All artwork must be your own original creations.
-Artwork must not be fan-art. They cannot reference existing properties (Voltron, Power Rangers, Godzilla, etc), including original characters in existing properties.
-Artwork can be either 2D or 3D.
-2D artwork should be either digital, or scanned from the physical artwork.
-3D artwork should be submitted via photographs. We suggest multiple photographs of each piece to capture different angles.
-Back story text should be 100 words or less. This will be displayed along with your entry.
-Back story text will not be proof-read or edited prior to being judged or displayed. Make sure it represents you as well as your art does.
-Artwork can depict a single character, a scene, or even a comic format (such as 4-koma).
-Artwork should depict at least 1 character. Multiple characters in an entry are allowed, but will only count as one entry.
-Multiple entries may be submitted by an artist.
-Artists must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submission.

Submission
-All entries must be emailed to contest@animeboston.com with the subject line "2015 Art Contest". You may include multiple entries in an email.
-Include in each email the following information:
Your legal name
Your email address
Title of your entry
Back story text (100 words or less)
Medium of the artwork (digital, water colors, pencil, etc).
Studio name (if any)
Website (if any)
How to credit you (legal name, pseudonym, studio, etc)
Contact Information for public (email, website, etc)
-All submissions must be received by 11:59 PM EST on Saturday, October 18, 2014.

Other Rules
-Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society have the right to post and use all contest entries for promotional and programming content.
-Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society will not have the right to sell the likeness of the artwork without the expressed written consent of the artist.
-Artists will retain the right to sell their artwork.
-Artists may withdraw their submission from the contest at any time before the contest concludes.
-Prizes are not transferable, refundable, or exchangeable.
-Winners must abide by all rules and regulations of the Artists' Alley and Anime Boston.
-Staff of Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society are not eligible to win Grand Prize or Runner Up prizes.
-Anime Boston staff reserve the right to alter the rules of this contest at any time.

We can't wait to see your entries! Good luck to everyone!
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Re: Anime Boston 2015 Art Contest: Kaiju vs Mecha!

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Yesss, I totally called that this would be the art contest when the theme of the con was announced! I have some ideas already... :mrgreen:

It's really too bad you guys can't guarantee some amount of artist alley space for the honorable mention entries though. Have you ever thought of doing that? Like not awarding them a free table or free admission, but just a guarantee of some space if they apply and pay. I think that would be really valuable.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Bumping for the contest, as the deadline is approaching!! Get your submissions in soon for a chance at a free 8 foot Artists Alley table!
Chris O'Connell

Shattered-Earth
Experienced Poster

Post by Shattered-Earth »

Make sure to submit before i left for Japan haha, look forward to seeing all the great entries!
Shattered-Earth
Experienced Poster

Post by Shattered-Earth »

Hey! It's just been a little over two weeks, will the results be ready soon? Or is there a gallery you guys got up this year? I'd love to see all the entries, i know i already caught one on tumblr that was super pretty TuT
hop-is-my-hero
Veteran Poster

Post by hop-is-my-hero »

I'm also interested in knowing the results and seeing all the other entries!?
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way bricks don't" ~ Douglas Adams
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Same here. I would love to see the results list and entries too, if only just to see what everyone else did. :)
Ragond
I'm new!

Post by Ragond »

Did this just get forgotten or have I missed somewhere where the winning entries (and entries in general) are submitted? I was kind of looking forward to seeing everything and to not have any word for so long is starting to annoy me. Especially when it's posted that " Results will be announced within two weeks of the contest's conclusion.".... and it's coming up to 2 months now.
redprincess
Getting the hang of this...

Post by redprincess »

I feel the same way. I did submit a picture too so I know there were submissions, and I found a few on Tumblr. I'm just wondering if they forgot, or it was pushed aside so they could focus on the artist alley or something.
hop-is-my-hero
Veteran Poster

Post by hop-is-my-hero »

Hey Faceman, any word on the results? I think the artists have been pretty patient seeing as we were promised them two weeks after the competition deadline and it has been two months. Any updates at all would do.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way bricks don't" ~ Douglas Adams
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

hop-is-my-hero wrote:Hey Faceman, any word on the results? I think the artists have been pretty patient seeing as we were promised them two weeks after the competition deadline and it has been two months. Any updates at all would do.
We really do appreciate your patience!! Your comments have been noted and I am currently working with social to get all you folks an answer. Stay tuned. Thank you! :)
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Hey guys! See Nemra's post in announcements.

Gallery is here.

There are some really beautiful submissions!
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

and just to piggy back on Strikers post, the actual winners announcements will be coming up within a day or two!

apologies for the wait!
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

And just to piggy on Nabil and Kim's posts, the Winners for the Art Contest can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=18986

I'm terribly sorry about the delay everyone. The last three months for me have been absolutely insane (got married), and I've had much less time than I expected to handle all of this.

I'm hoping next year we'll start the contest sooner and have the judging done in time.
Chris O'Connell