Raffle Junction Idea

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Raffle Junction Idea

Post by Tuberat »

So, I had this idea...call me crazy but....

I know a lot of artists have raffles. ANd sometimes getting people to purchase the tickets is annoying. you never know if you're going to do really well, or if you really shouldn't have tried to raffle that item off....I stopped doing raffles because there was so much stuff on my table, people never noticed them and i felt very obtrusive if i kept shouting "raffle tickets!"

So i was thinking, if everyone who was having a raffle made some sort of sign, either half sized or full sized (half sized with intent to be placed on another sheet with another raffle ad to make a full sized page, same orientation - which is standard) we could collect them in one of my older standing display flip books at the Info Desk with a sign on the front of the book that said something along these lines:

Do you like RAFFLES ? (big letters)

See what's being raffled off by who and where they are located!

then your little sign could have a picture of the item, the deadline / drawing time. cost of tickets, and table location. every program book HAS a map, so people could mark it down.

What do you guys think? Should we try it?
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
okapirose
Determined Poster

Re: Raffle Junction Idea

Post by okapirose »

I think it would be more beneficial for a table to be set up for artist's raffles instead, like what they have the Dealer's Room with the official merch and whatnot.

This gives the artists space on their own table that would be taken up by the raffle, one less thing to go over with people when they come by (which they'd have to do even if a flip book of all the raffles going on were to be made), and puts all the raffles in one place with equal exposure. At the end of the raffle the artist comes over, draws the winner and collects what they earned (maybe with a small percent going to the con like the Art Show, and if a lot of people sign up, limit how big their "raffle basket" can be)

Buuut along with other things, the table would need to be constantly staffed...so I don't know how well that could-if at all-go over.

The flip book idea couldn't hurt though. Some prod that artists do raffles too is better than nothing.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

yeah, table space is at a premium already, i don't think we should lose another one so i didn't even consider that and i wouldn't have anyone to staff it either. I have a hard enough time sometimes keeping the main table staffed.

the flip book i figured would a low maintenance, bonus kind of thing that could help/encourage folks to check these things out that would be happening anyway. People come to the info desk all the time for information and i KNOW there are people out there who LOOK for raffles. and if we get known for the book, more people will start checking it out.

the book really isn't meant to replace anyone's spiel either. only the artist/crafter in question can truly interest someone in a raffle. but like i said, i know people who specifically hunt out raffles. let's see if we can draw them out, yeah?
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
craftshley
Getting the hang of this...

Post by craftshley »

I definitely like the idea of a master list of raffles. Like you said, some people do look for raffles and such and having an easy to reach guide to all raffles in the Alley would be really cool! Although I'm sure we're planning on having a sign advertising our raffle, extra publicity isn't going to hurt anyone!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

I've actually just been informed that having a master list of raffles could be a bad idea. apparently allowing raffles is a grey line thing in the alley, and we don't want to make it obvious (aka, the master list)

looks like I'm going to have to scrap this idea. I am so sad now :(
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
craftshley
Getting the hang of this...

Post by craftshley »

Are we still allowed to have raffles, then? Or should we not have any at all?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i have not been told to tell people to stop them. just that they are on the iffy side. we've been doing them for years without a problem so....i'm going with it's still okay unless my boss tells me otherwise..
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

Technically, it's considered a game of chance and would fall under the jurisdiction of the MA Gaming Commission. There are exceptions for charities and raffles organized by representatives of charities. Our Charity staff is certified in writing to be representing our charity partner (the National MS Society, Central New England Chapter) so that's how we make it work.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

Tuberat wrote:i have not been told to tell people to stop them. just that they are on the iffy side. we've been doing them for years without a problem so....i'm going with it's still okay unless my boss tells me otherwise..
Does this mean grab bags also follow under this since its "a game of chance"?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i would say no - i mean, a raffle is only the chance to win a product. the grab bag means you ARE getting a product. you are buying a product, you're just not sure which one. plus, most of the grab bags I've seen over the years are decorated bags or boxes that people can keep and reuse even after they've emptied the grab bags. so, they're buying THAT product too..

so no, i wouldn't even classify it as the same kind of thing (at least thats my perspective on it. i'm sure if i'm wrong, my boss ,who is also following this thread, will speak up)
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

A grab bag is not 'chance' unless you're picking things randomly. I guess you could do that if you had a pile of uniformly-shaped things in a box that was just dumped in there without looking at any of it and without knowing how many of anything you had to start with so you couldn't figure it out later. I guess you'd have to cover your eyes and shake up the box, then pull something out and place it in a bag without seeing any of it.

Wait - you're not doing that, right? That seems like a whole lot of unnecessary work.

okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

Good to know, thanks!
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

pulsedemon wrote:A grab bag is not 'chance' unless you're picking things randomly. I guess you could do that if you had a pile of uniformly-shaped things in a box that was just dumped in there without looking at any of it and without knowing how many of anything you had to start with so you couldn't figure it out later. I guess you'd have to cover your eyes and shake up the box, then pull something out and place it in a bag without seeing any of it.

Wait - you're not doing that, right? That seems like a whole lot of unnecessary work.
Hehe, no, what we do is label the bag with general label of what will be side. Like for instance if it's labeled "Attack on Titan" then the magnets you get inside (my table partner does polymer clay magnets) will be AoT characters, you just don't know which ones you'll get is all, but to ensure those who buy more than one bag don't get duplicates, each bag has something different in it, and this way, labeled generally, the customer doesn't get something they won't be unhappy with.

Better than those blind boxes you find in stores everywhere now :/
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Yeah, that's not really much of a game of chance. I think we'll all be safe.