Artists Alley Phase 2 Status

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Artists Alley Phase 2 Status

Post by Tuberat »

So, Pro Row is doing their payment this week...Started today.
First Wave Notifications also went out today for the standard signups, but phase 2 has not started yet.

The goal is to start phase 2 for everyone else in the next week or two. So it is possible that in 3 weeks, we can at least have an idea of how far Second Wave will extend. We normally go through several waves before we're done due to drop outs or people simply choosing something smaler....

I'm going to work in half an hour - please be patient till i get home if you have any problems. Remember to check over your Phase 2 information BEFORE going forward - if you've gotten a registration and didn't tell me, then you'll either be forced to pay for another one, OR you'll have to wait for me to reset you.'

OH! and Tax Submission ID form is not up yet - when it is, you'll all be notified
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Kino
Expert Poster

Re: Artists Alley Phase 2 Status

Post by Kino »

Does the first wave potentially fill up the entire AA or is it just a small, initial group of people?
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Was there a large number of pro row people this year? I applied within two-ish minutes of standard signup opening and I am not in first wave, which seems a bit crazy but I understand how many people are trying to get so few spots. :oops:
(It's too bad honorable mention in the art contest doesn't guarantee you a spot! Have you guys ever considered doing it this way?)
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

There were definitely more applications than there were spaces available. Nikki would be able to give a better idea.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Yeah, it's no big deal. I was mostly just curious as to how I'm not first wave, whether it was if maybe pro row caused there to be less standard spots, or the lag on the website during signups, or if 100 people got their applications in during the minute it took me to sign up, or whatever. I wanted to know what happened to see if there was a way I could improve my chances for next time. :?
GreekSalad
I'm new!

Post by GreekSalad »

Although I did not get into the first round, I want to SERIOUSLY thank whoever it is in charge for being so clear with what's going on and what is going out through email. I'm not left in the dark about anything here. I have the same opinion for last year, as well.

Thank you~
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

First wave Technically fills up the entire Alley
yet i typically run through at least 2 more waves before we're done. And I've done more than that on occasion.

why? Because people drop out - either deliberately or accidentally (miss the deadline) OR they decide to use a smaller space then initially asked for.

As for why you didn't get into first wave (anyone) it's not because of Pro Row. We did not use MORE than we used last year for Pro Row (maybe one or two less, actually). But really, this year has been the HUGEST response ever to the opening of Phase 1. I knew before the first few hours were up we'd hit reserve list, though i wasn't sure where the line was.

To give you an idea, i printed out the list, there are 47 names per page, and i have nearly 4 pages of people who signed up within the first 4 minutes of the form being turned on. And we didn't stop there.

Sadly, there's not a lot you can do to make your chances 'better'. Yet we can think of no better system to put in place that wouldn't be vastly unfair to a majority of people. So we at AB have found little things that could give you other chances such as the contests, the auctions, the pro row tables...we will also have an official thread (by me) when the room is finalized to encourage other artists to share with people.

Lastly, I am an artist myself, and I do my best to keep you fellas informed because I know what it's like to BE in your shoes...I'm not perfect (apparently, my last email needed clarification for a number of people) but I try because I have been there. I'm happy to help :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
KatrinaDraws
Expert Poster

Post by KatrinaDraws »

Alright, thanks for the information :)
OtakuGir
I'm new!

Post by OtakuGir »

I do apologize if this has been answered but if there is a second wave of emails (in case as you stated there are drop outs and such) when do you believe they would be distributed? How much time do the first wave emailers have to respond to the acceptance email and pay for their spot? I ask for those who HAVEN'T received emails so that we may know what to look for if that day does arrive.

Generally I'm the type of person to just click click click delete emails from those I don't recognize and if a wave 2 of emails DO get released I would feel it would be a tiny help for those who have so many emails to at least know WHEN to expect them.

Thanks!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

first wave isn't doing payments yet - I'm expecting that with the time frame i'm currently using for pro row phase 2, then first wave, i'll know second wave in around 3 weeks or so
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Koyukipanda
I'm new!

Post by Koyukipanda »

How soon can we except to see drop-outs?? Will you post them up? Or just contact each artist on the wait list as it goes down?? I'm so anxious :[
Shattered-Earth
Experienced Poster

Post by Shattered-Earth »

I think drop outs are one week after phase 2 opens for first wavers, after Nikki has time to count up people who didn't pay of course, and i'm imagining that she emails them because publically posting seems out of the ordinary XD

I do wonder if Google could alleviate the server issues though. I know anime next used google forms for their AA, the problem is though that their site couldn't handle people refreshing to post the link TO the form (lol) so it was all luck if you were refreshing the right social media page. I wonder if there's a way for you guys to make a page on google servers that will either refreshes into the form at the time it needs to go up or make the form before hand with a random url and then make a google page that you only update with the link to the form at the time so people will be refreshing a google server page. The likelihood of crashing a page hosted on google servers is very low i think?