Count Down to 2014 Sign ups!

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Count Down to 2014 Sign ups!

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

Once again my Fellow Artists we gather to wait at the starting line. In the mean time what has everyone been up too? I took the summer off and feel really out of the loop on what is going on with Artist Alleys anymore.
Hiryuu
Experienced Poster

Re: Count Down to 2014 Sign ups!

Post by Hiryuu »

Ah here we are again! I've spent the summer working, and not much has changed at the alleys :3 Excited to get back to Boston hopefully ;-; My flight got canceled into Boston last year and I couldn't get there.
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

Wow Hiryuu, that sucks, I hope you ripped the Airline a new one.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the Alley too, I have a huge project in the works that I need to fund. It's going to be an intense year!
Hiryuu
Experienced Poster

Post by Hiryuu »

They refunded my flights, thankfully...but that was it :/ But Anime Boston is one of my favorites mainly for the people that come to the AA. Not only are the artists super friendly, but the attendees are so sweet. I was kind of fearful of Boston my first go because of 'northerners' xD Bad prior experiences. But omg they were just the best. Wanted to hug them all .3.
Rindi
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rindi »

*waves* West Coaster here, and I'm up early due to being super jet-lagged. Which I guess is good? ^^
I hope I get a table! AB is still my favorite con, even if I'm no longer a local. :]
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I am not as much a regular at alleys but I am really looking forward to Anime Bostons. I am hoping that by the con I will have a few more custom plushes for display, and maybe even one of the muppets I have been working on.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
Willowanderer
Experienced Poster

Post by Willowanderer »

I love going to AB even though it tends to be expensive.
So anyone have any favorite artist's alley stories?
Cosplayer, Cartoonist, Artist-for-Hire, and maker of plush blankets to keep Fandom warm. http://willowanderer.deviantart.com/
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

And it's that time to hurry up and wait. Glad I have soda and a pan of brownies.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I am staying at my friends college dorm right now and he is nice enough to cook me pancakes. We went out ball room dancing last night.
Willowanderer
Experienced Poster

Post by Willowanderer »

Provisions laid in. *nods sagely*
Cosplayer, Cartoonist, Artist-for-Hire, and maker of plush blankets to keep Fandom warm. http://willowanderer.deviantart.com/
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Hanging out, hoping to get in as well. We ended up missing this past year because we were just too far down on the waitlist.

Good luck everyone!
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

Is anyone else having issues with the AA page loading? Not that this does not happen every year... -makes a mental apology to Anime Boston for the friendly DOS attacks-
Hiryuu
Experienced Poster

Post by Hiryuu »

Yeah I just got through after the page stuck in connecting for about 5 minutes :/ still no app though, it's fine.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Suggestion for Alley Staff for next year: make the page upon which the AA Signup link will be posted, a super basic/plaintext page. With no widgets!!! So that the server load is less with all the refreshes.
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

It's the ton of artists waiting and refreshing the page like mad.
Smallapple

Post by Smallapple »

I've been to Anime Boston for years and years and I've always wanted to be in the AA! It would be my first time ever, heh, I'm nervous! ovo;
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

The application page is loading ridiculously slow for me too, but the AA page and AB front page are still working fairly well, and they usually drop a notice there too at least.

And I'll second the suggestion to not include widgets on the application page in the future. :)
Rindi

Post by Rindi »

Willowanderer wrote:So anyone have any favorite artist's alley stories?
Heh, during my very first Anime Boston AA in 2009, I met 'Crazy Dragon Guy'. His 'original character' was totally based on himself, and he believed he was a dragon in human form. After rambling on about this for way too long, he tossed some money at me, but not enough for an actual commission. Not really knowing what to do, I drew him a little pencil doodle. The next day, he came back, considered the image, and nodded in satisfaction. Then he autographed it and told me to show it to other people as 'inspiration'. I haven't had such a wacky interaction since. xD
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

Watching Facebook and Twitter....this is the worse part, waiting for the slow page to load.
Willowanderer
Experienced Poster

Post by Willowanderer »

What size space is everyone hoping for?
Hiryuu
Experienced Poster

Post by Hiryuu »

6 foot here...hoping for ;-;
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I think one of my favorite moments was actually at my first AB ('07). I was there with my 4-month-old daughter and a friend of mine, and had taken a break from the table to visit the Dealer's Room before wandering the Alley for a bit. I had my daughter strapped to me in a baby carrier, wearing her little moogle hat, and was getting enough oohs and ahhs as it was. But unbeknownst to me, by the time I made it back to the Alley she had fallen fast asleep, despite all the noise and crowds and everything. The look on Nikki's face when she noticed was priceless. ;)
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I dont think I have had any crazy stories like that rindi, most of my AA stories usually revolve around my now former tablemate and his bouts of procrastination... So many head aches on that front. Luckily I now have a new table partner who I am much more happy with.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Willowanderer wrote:What size space is everyone hoping for?
Existent.
Willowanderer
Experienced Poster

Post by Willowanderer »

I don't think they have a lot of control over how the page looks, widgets and belike; after all, it's part of the general AB page, which needs to look slick and fancy for everyone.
Even with us all trying, the Artists of AA are a very small part of the con. I was shocked to discover there were people who never set foot in the AA, even though it's like the best part.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Nightengale wrote:
Existent.
Good answer.

All I need is 4 feet. 6 was lovely at AAC, but I can (and have, several times) manage with only 4 and so that's generally all I ever ask.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

Though my first year I did have one good story. It was the last day and I wasnt sure if I would be able to sell my nyan cat plushie without marking it down which I couldnt really afford to do. Things were mostly calm when a woman odviously excited ran up to our table asking if we still had the plushie, when I responded yes she happily and politely shoved the money in my face then left. But seeing how happy she was made me happy too. It had made my con.

I am looking for 6 feet because I share with another artist usually.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Willowanderer wrote:I don't think they have a lot of control over how the page looks, widgets and belike; after all, it's part of the general AB page, which needs to look slick and fancy for everyone.
Even with us all trying, the Artists of AA are a very small part of the con. I was shocked to discover there were people who never set foot in the AA, even though it's like the best part.
It's possible for them to link from the main AA department page to a single page coded without the AB site template, just plaintext or minimal formatting with the pertinent information and links. This is in fact possible and really ought to happen one of these years since the server load and refresh rate are always such big issues.
Rindi

Post by Rindi »

@masterofplush: Heh, I had been reading all sorts of horror stories from other artists in preparation for my first 'big convention' so I was somewhat prepared for weirdness. I'm glad to realize now, though, that that experience was an anomaly. Most of the people who stop by my table are really awesome - I love getting to talk about something that I'm passionate about.

@Willowanderer: 6 feet of space suits me best, but really, I can work with anything.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Kogarashi wrote:
Nightengale wrote:
Existent.
Good answer.

All I need is 4 feet. 6 was lovely at AAC, but I can (and have, several times) manage with only 4 and so that's generally all I ever ask.
Yeah, this. AB is *not* an app to be greedy with. App your minimal size for your minimum AND your maximum -- I've had excellent luck with doing this and in fact have never not gotten in, when I've used this method.
Willowanderer
Experienced Poster

Post by Willowanderer »

masterofplush wrote:Though my first year I did have one good story. It was the last day and I wasnt sure if I would be able to sell my nyan cat plushie without marking it down which I couldnt really afford to do. Things were mostly calm when a woman odviously excited ran up to our table asking if we still had the plushie, when I responded yes she happily and politely shoved the money in my face then left. But seeing how happy she was made me happy too. It had made my con.

I am looking for 6 feet because I share with another artist usually.
Seeing people run away happily with my goods is like my favorite part. The happy dance this one cospalyer made after wrapping herself in a Companion Cube blanket (she was so happy she forgot her prop and had to come back for it) is most of the reason I decided to move to mostly blankets.
I think that was my first year in the AB Alley, come to think...

I need at least 6 myself, because of how bulky my product is.
Hiryuu
Experienced Poster

Post by Hiryuu »

http://us10.chatzy.com/21613253979360 A chat, if anyone is interested :)
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

Me and my table partner this year have plushes and jewelry. it is hard to have a smaller space but it is do able.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I sell prints and paper fans and my partner sells jewelry and we manage to squeeze into the 4 feet we request. We never ask for less because we know for a fact we can't fit in 2, but we also know we can do 4 so we never really bother to ask for more either. It's a tight fit, but it's manageable. :)

I do understand bulk, though. Some of the stuff I've seen people squeeze into a 2- or 4-foot space...quite impressive. Certain things like plush pillows and blankets almost certainly need more space, just because of their size.

Nothing sadder, though, than perusing the Alley and seeing a 6- or 8-foot table that looks practically empty because it's got a bunch of tiny things on it and a lot of unused space. Luckily that seems to be quite rare.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Kogarashi wrote:I sell prints and paper fans and my partner sells jewelry and we manage to squeeze into the 4 feet we request. We never ask for less because we know for a fact we can't fit in 2, but we also know we can do 4 so we never really bother to ask for more either. It's a tight fit, but it's manageable. :)

I do understand bulk, though. Some of the stuff I've seen people squeeze into a 2- or 4-foot space...quite impressive. Certain things like plush pillows and blankets almost certainly need more space, just because of their size.

Nothing sadder, though, than perusing the Alley and seeing a 6- or 8-foot table that looks practically empty because it's got a bunch of tiny things on it and a lot of unused space. Luckily that seems to be quite rare.
THIS. It comes down to knowing your merch, knowing your setup, and knowing how to make the best use of your space. A comfortably-filled space is the most profitable, so an overly empty large space will sell just as poorly as a cramped/easily missed small space.

Know what you need and ask for that exactly: neither too little nor too much. That's the way to use presentation to your advantage, have the best aisle presence and best sales with the merch you bring.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Nightengale wrote:
Kogarashi wrote:I sell prints and paper fans and my partner sells jewelry and we manage to squeeze into the 4 feet we request. We never ask for less because we know for a fact we can't fit in 2, but we also know we can do 4 so we never really bother to ask for more either. It's a tight fit, but it's manageable. :)

THIS. It comes down to knowing your merch, knowing your setup, and knowing how to make the best use of your space. A comfortably-filled space is the most profitable, so an overly empty large space will sell just as poorly as a cramped/easily missed small space.

Know what you need and ask for that exactly: neither too little nor too much. That's the way to use presentation to your advantage, have the best aisle presence and best sales with the merch you bring.
Exactly. I'd much rather browse a comfortably-filled space than one that looks barren because the space is too large for the merch presented. I like the adventure of discovering treasures, kind of like a real-time search-and-find. If the space is too large for the merch, then I can see it all in one glimpse and walk on instead of stopping to look further.
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Kogarashi wrote:
Nightengale wrote:

Exactly. I'd much rather browse a comfortably-filled space than one that looks barren because the space is too large for the merch presented. I like the adventure of discovering treasures, kind of like a real-time search-and-find. If the space is too large for the merch, then I can see it all in one glimpse and walk on instead of stopping to look further.
Fair enough. Even excepting the personal angle of treasure hunter-esque enjoyment, though, there are solid marketing lessons to be applied to ANY space in which merchandising is practiced. Retail stores are textbooks for how to do it well, how to encourage the impulse buy, how to make everything visible but not waste space spreading it out too thinly. How to price, how to encourage add-on sales, the whole lot of it.

Far too few artists use these tactics. That, more than workmanship, is the easiest thing that they *could* be fixing in their displays.

/soapbox
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

Oh hey it's a Nikki!~

HI NIKKI
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Nightengale wrote:Oh hey it's a Nikki!~

HI NIKKI
You scared her off, Nightengale. ;)
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

ASDFGHJK IT'S UP. I almost had a panic attack when it took so long to submit (because of the site crashing and being slow). *fingers crossed* good luck everyone!
yuureikun
Experienced Poster

Post by yuureikun »

I submitted! 11:57. :)
Nightengale

Post by Nightengale »

11:59.

Lagged like HELL to get it in, though. Was sitting for almost a full minute. @___@;;
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

12:00, I think.
Rindi

Post by Rindi »

Mine's not submitting. ;____;
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

Woo, 11:57 for me too! Oh man, so nervous, but at least now I don't have to sit there and hit refresh over and over, lol. Now we just have to wait and see if we got in. XD
Rindi

Post by Rindi »

12:02. I must have clicked submit around 11:57 - it took like five minutes to send. Well, at least it's in. *crosses fingers* >__<
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

I got 11:58 so here's hoping! Now off to try to get stuff done today. Good Luck to everyone!
suriyel

Post by suriyel »

Wow, stressful much? 11:57 as well tho. Good luck to everyone!
*runs off to finally do other stuff*
{ See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me. }
-Valentine
BL2W
Expert Poster

Post by BL2W »

11:59 here.

If this ends up being even remotely like last year, that time means that I still made it in within the "first wave"--and that's even after my first browser crashed and I had to sign up on my backup browser~! :?
.::.:.::.
Check out KyokoPro Studios on Facebook & YouTube for KanColle videos and cosplay music videos!
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

I apologize for the lag you all experienced. But I believe it may result from people refreshing constantly, including the auto-refresh addons set for low intervals.

I may need to look into limiting how often you can load the server content in a given period of time for next year. So the hundreds of people aren't reloading the page 20 times in a 10 second period.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!