I only have a two foot space..how should i set this up @_@?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

ok so i sell dread falls and stuff, and with only a 2 foot space im worried that i wont have enough room.

i didn't opt for a 4ft because i didn't have the money for a bigger space and the demand was so tight this year that i didn't feel it would be fair for me to take a 4ft space when someone else could of had the 2ft spot right next to me.

i was thinking of using this to put in my spot: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Black ... -4/5005199

i can also take it apart and build it differently

but will this be too big or annoying to the other people around me. i need it to hang dread falls off of and to put my wig heads in.
i don't want to block anyone else and i still want customers to be able to see me so do u think this cube grid will fit without it blocking or getting in the way?

i know 2ft spaces are fine if u are just selling prints but my stuff is more bulky :/

if it is too much, can someone please come up with a better table set up?

Katiesaurus
Experienced Poster

Post by Katiesaurus »

I think the wire thing should be fine as long as you only go one across. Probably best to go as vertical as possible without becoming unstable.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

thank you so much for your input :D
thats what i was thinking of doing

im happy finally someone commented lol
Katiesaurus
Experienced Poster

Post by Katiesaurus »

Ah, you're welcome. C:

And if you have the thing all the way to one side, you should have room to stick your face out XD
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

thats what i thought lol XD
might be kinda silly but id rather have room for all my stuff with a good display :]
my assistant keeping track of all the math can stay behind the cubes lol
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

If those cubes are anything like mine (the Safco version), then they're just over a foot across, so you won't want more than a single stack. I would personally arrange it in a tall single stack with shelves pointed back toward you and your assistant. That way you can store things on the shelves while still hanging your dreads on the outside where customers can see. Make sure you put something heavy on the bottom shelf (a textbook or something equally heavy works great for this), since with the cubes only one across it may get a little tipsy sooner than a setup with a wider base. A good heavy weight on the bottom shelf should add stability without getting in the way.

Just be prepared to be peering around that thing the whole time. :) And make sure the neighbors to either side don't mind, since it'll be much closer quarters than with a 4-foot space.

If you can't get a lot of your stock out, then make sure to put your best pieces out and mention to potential customers that you have more than what's on display. I have to do that with things like my bookmarks since I don't have nearly enough space on my cubes to display all the styles I have.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

that was extremely helpful thank you :D!
Katiesaurus
Experienced Poster

Post by Katiesaurus »

[quote=Kogarashi]If you can't get a lot of your stock out, then make sure to put your best pieces out and mention to potential customers that you have more than what's on display. I have to do that with things like my bookmarks since I don't have nearly enough space on my cubes to display all the styles I have.[/quote]
That's a really good idea.

Also maybe you could make a small binder full of photos of the ones you don't have space to display.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Burnhym1]that was extremely helpful thank you :D![/quote]

You're welcome!

Having worked with a 4-foot space since I started at AB, I've played around with setups to see what fits best while still displaying a lot within the confines I have. I could certainly fill up 6 feet or maybe even 8, but I do what I can to keep it pared down to 4, not only so others can have space but also so I don't have to pay the extra cost when I don't know that I'll sell enough to keep up. Those wire cubes are the best invention ever, but as I said, may be tricky with only two feet.
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

The cubes are great and will probably work well for you. I would play around with them at home first so you can see exactly how much space they take up.

When I have had an AA table, I love them, but I would recommend not going higher than three cubes. After that it becomes a tipsy and hard to reach, both for you and for your patrons (not sure what your touch policy is).

Not sure what policy is, but maybe talk to Nikki and see if you can get the end of a table so you wouldn't block your neighbors too badly.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

It also might be a good idea to put some heavy things in the bottom cube for stability. It would not be fun to have your falls and wigs and things all hanging on it, making it top heavy, and then have it fall over :(
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

thanks everyone for all your suggestions they are really helpful!
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

if they all fell down i think id die of a heart attack 0_0

heavy thing for cube noted
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

i would suggest maybe just displaying one of each of the types you have to sell and then u can retreave whichever ones people want from behind.

I would suggest at the con you see if your table mates will allow you to be on the end of the table (if there is going to be an end)

You can also display things from behind your space

(like take one of those foam boards and insert the diff styles onto it and displaying the board on an easle behind you

or maybe a digital pic frame displaying diff styles available.

you could tape pvc piping to the table to create an "arc" to hang the dreads above you as well.

whatever you do its always good to do test runs!
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

wow i wouldnt have thought of that :o
all these ideas are great
i'll try a bunch at home on a 2ft space and see how would be best to organize it
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

btw mariko, i love your site :o i learned alot reading what your comic was about! very original ^^
been wanting to say that lol
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

Depending on how many styles you have, I'd consider having a portfolio at your table. Display whatever you can and then have a sign saying "More styles available! See portfolio for pictures. Inquire to look!" and then have a bright, attractive album for people to flip through.

You want to maximize your space, but you don't want it to be overly cluttered. Sometimes with displays, less is more. This method would also give you space so your customers can see you behind the table.

As a final suggestion, I'd set up the blocks making a solid block on the bottom and then two sides on top(so it makes an L shape on top, if that makes sense) That way you can attach things to multiple sides but again avoid the over cluttering.

Also: LOVE the dreads, they are beautifully done. I don't personally wear dreads(I have enough hair as is) but see a lot of artists with them, yours are some of the better ones I've seen show up for Alleys. I'm sure they will sell. AB attendees, I noticed, are very understanding of artist time and how it effects cost.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

thanks for the complement :]
i put alot of time (hours, days, weeks) into them to make sure they are done properly and that they are sealed tightly. so, i'm happy the effort i put into my work is shining through.

i never thought of bringing an album of my work. i think that's a great idea. normally i only think about that for my 2d work, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. i feel that would definitely be helpful :]

for the "L" shaped cubes, im not quite sure what your saying but ya im trying to make sure i do it in a way where i am not taking up my entire table, but yet able to hang stuff still. so far people have given me alot of ideas. i can either stack them 3 on top of each other to one side. or have a stand behind my table to hang them.

Either way all of you have been very very helpful. i cant thank you all enough ^^

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

For the L-shaped display, what I think was meant was something like this:Our display, sans merchandise. The bottom section is a full cube, open to the back with shelves inserted so we could put things there. The next level is just two panels, though, the back and the side. This way things can be put on top of the first cube, and you still have two sides to hang things. As shown, my cube set is 14".
Display again, minus red lines.

Play around with your set and find something that works well.

[quote=marikotoeii]You can also display things from behind your space

(like take one of those foam boards and insert the diff styles onto it and displaying the board on an easle behind you[/quote]

Just make sure you remember two things:
1. No taping (or tacking or whatever) things to the walls. Not allowed.
2. Make sure you don't block traffic for your neighboring artists. I know that at my space this past year, putting displays behind us was impossible. Our tables were just too close to the walls, so what space wasn't occupied by the artists in their chairs was leftover for walking (and the occasional low-profile suitcase or box). Easels would not have fit. If you luck out and get, say, a corner space or a space with good area behind it that will fit an easel and still allow for artist traffic, then this is an excellent idea.

And I'll second the suggestion of an album. I don't have enough space to display all my folding fans, so I print photos of them all and display them at the front of my portfolio binder. Since they're one-of-a-kind, I put little "sold" tags on each picture as they sell. Then I only have to display 1-3 of the folding fans and can keep the rest folded and neatly out of the way.
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

[quote=Kogarashi]For the L-shaped display, what I think was meant was something like this:Our display, sans merchandise. The bottom section is a full cube, open to the back with shelves inserted so we could put things there. The next level is just two panels, though, the back and the side. This way things can be put on top of the first cube, and you still have two sides to hang things. As shown, my cube set is 14".
Display again, minus red lines.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that! That is exactly what I meant :3
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

Thanks for the pics guys, now i get it :o. great idea!

and ya i really dont want to block anyone or be in anyones way so im just coming up with as many set up possibilities as possible since idk how the setup will be. some stuff may work and some stuff may not. i geuss i wont really know until im there, but atleast now i have more options and a pretty good idea of what i should do.

btw one more question, how early do you start setting up? how long does it normally take to set up your table? how early do you get there? i wont be able to get there the thursday so i will have to get there friday morning. i live in CT so im trying to think of a good time to leave and how long you think (estimated) that it will take to set up.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

This year was the first that I actually set up in the Alley on Thursday night. I put up the tablecloth and cubes, but no merchandise.

However, for Friday-morning setup, we usually get two hours (at least, that's been my experience), and two hours is usually enough for a four-foot or smaller space. I would try to show up as early as you can during the setup hours, since once they open the Alley traffic starts flowing and makes things a little more difficult. Not impossible, just difficult. I have set up before after the Alley opened, and you just really have to deal with the crowds and the fact that you lose some potential business by not being set up yet.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

ya even though i know its doable, i wouldn't want to set up after the alley has been open. i wouldn't be able to relax and id feel like id need to rush and id probably make everything fall down or get really clumsy.

do you know if we are assigned places or when we get there do we get to pick are places? how has it been in the past?
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

*tears up*

thanks so much! always love to hear feed back!

I'll have book one and the highly anticipated book two at AB!

As far as time you should be fine with the two hours friday. I had a massive set up and we just finished in 2 hours. so youre should be good in an hour.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

thanks,
and i look forward to seeing your comic there!
its very original ^^
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

all table spaces are assigned. i take into consideration all special requests and do my best to fill them...
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
chibikakashi0101
Veteran Poster

Post by chibikakashi0101 »

I have one idea for you, Coat-racks with the things hanging from them.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=chibikakashi0101]I have one idea for you, Coat-racks with the things hanging from them.[/quote]

If you go with something like coat-racks, make sure you request to have an end/corner space so you have the room for the racks. It's a lot harder to find a spot for them when you're a middle table.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

ya i can imagine people tripping over them if i was in a middle table @_@
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Burnhym1]ya i can imagine people tripping over them if i was in a middle table @_@[/quote]
:) Yeah. Either you put them in front of your table and create a trip hazard for the attendees, or you put it behind your table and create an obstacle for your fellow artists. With an end or corner table, you usually have a bit of space next to your table where you can put something like that.
Blitzava
Expert Poster

Post by Blitzava »

For the first time this year I DON'T have only 2 ft, so I have a lot of practice fitting into small areas (and I do 3D media)

I find building up verticle in a "staircase" fashion from the front of the table works best, then stand behind your table and interact with people when they come over (so you don't have that "hermit artist" hiding behind your spot. The wire cubes are good towards the back, diagonaling positioning your display against the flow of traffic with the brighter colors at eye level usually does the trick to draw people in :)
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

Thanks that was very helpful, i'll keep it all in mind :]