Panel for Comic Artists?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by marikotoeii »

So I was looking to get an idea if there are artists out there, particularly artists with original comics, that would be interested in coming to a meet and greet style panel.

I am especially hoping that a number of us who are at that "jobby stage" will come so we can get an indepth discussion on some of these points:

1. Publishing Techniques
2. Websites
3. Experience Sharing
4. Marketing and Branding Your Studio
5. Business Matters (Money, Copyrights...)

I'd like to think of it as a meeting of the minds kinda thing. We can all talk a little bit about our work, how long we've been at it, share stories, tips, and tricks.

And maybe also talk a bit what its like to be a self published original artist in the fandom these days.

I am looking for fellow panelists, and if we can get enough interest for this, I'll submit a panel syggestion.

This can also be part of a "jam session" that Nikki had thought about earlier in which artists can come and work on finishing up pieces.

It would also be a good chance for those artists just starting out (especially those with original material) to get some advice.

Now this is seperate from a "guide to the artist alley" panel, becuase I'd like the focus to go beyond just anime cons and talk abit about comic and other shows.

Any takers?

Last edited by marikotoeii on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: i cant spell
dolly
Getting the hang of this...

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by dolly »

While I am by no means an original comic artist, this is something I've always been interested in. Web comics are one thing, but actual printed comics are another.
ang
Committed Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by ang »

I can help out. I'm working on 2 books right now.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by marikotoeii »

im in a mad race to finish book two by the end of november!

bwahahahahahahahaha

Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by Bettina Marie »

At almost every anime con I've attended (mostly as a Guest than not) I've run the following panels:

Inside Manga: The Creating Process - which discusses the basic step-by-step process, tools, tips and techniques for your own creating manga.

Inside Manga: Getting Published - discusses tips on getting published in the US manga industry via competitions, company submissions and webcomics. I usually run this one as a 'round-table' discussion as well since there are, more often than not, audience members that can offer further valuable info.

Inside Manga: Character Design - which discusses, thru live demonstrations, basic tips and techniques for creating dynamic character designs that help bring your characters and stories to life!

I have run the first 2 panels for the past 3-4 years at AB, adding the 3rd to last year's list. So I've experiences and info from working in the professional comicbook field that I can provide as a participant on the panel. :D

I do run a 4th panel, but it's specifically for discussion and behind-the-scenes look at My Cat Loki ^_^;

I'm not sure whether or not I'll be signing up to do any panels this year, as it'll depend on whether nor not I'll actually get an AA table, considering it apparently appears I've been put on the Wait List despite sending in my LoI minutes after it opened ;___; But I MAY be available to participate in whatever you seem to be planning XD...again...will depend on getting that there now elusive AA table ;__;
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by marikotoeii »

Youve been put on a wait list? Im confused, as I thought that they hadnt moved on to phase 2 yet?

In any case it would be great to have you on the panel. Ill be sending in the submission when I find out if I have gotten a table, as that is the contingency on my attending the con in the first place.

Tabikat
Committed Poster

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by Tabikat »

I did the Character Design panel in 09 and would love to do it again if I get a chance to attend AB once more. I wouldn't mind helping but I want to make sure I'm set to actually go before making promises to anyone. If not, then I wish you guys a lot of luck.
Sarah Interrobang
Getting the hang of this...

Panel for Comic Artists?

Post by Sarah Interrobang »

I work in comics distribution (getting books to stores--direct and book markets) in addition to being with a self-published webcomics group with over 8 issues under our belts. If I can secure some space (eyeballin' the dealer's room), I'd love to contribute to a panel like this.

Please keep me in mind.