Artist Alley Feedback

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by chaobunny »

I noticed that as well. I didn't really stop by his table in the dealer's room, but it was pretty obvious that it was the same artist who did the work from the AA table and the Dealer's room booth.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by marikotoeii »

OK this is definately a WTF moment for me..

who would want to get a table in the dealers room and tables in the artist alley? I can see the point of one or the other but both just sounds idiotic.

Anyway onto my feed back:

A Note on Music and Visual Displays at Tables

I use both of these in my set up but i am CONSTANTLY dilligently checking the volume bc if i am having a hard time hearing my customers, odds are my neighboors are too.

I am also careful that no artwork / videos/ what have you that are on the LCD display are over the PG rating.

As far as dancing in front of my table, I Love it when people are into the music because 9 times out of ten it sucks them right into my table. I didnt really have an issue with people causing traffick japsm from that though. They mostly just danced there way to my table or kept moving in line.

I really loved my spot in the alley this year (153 Chaoric Kiss) We had a really successful run and a lot of traffic. Being an original comic artist this was a real improvement over years past.

Quantity Vs. Quality

Now I am not trying to hate on crafters, but I did see quite a few tables selling the same kinds of things (The loli accessories)(The crochetted anime doodles) I think it might work out better for you to pool your resources and get a table in the dealers room.

I just noticed that there wasnt as much variety in the crafting as I wouldve liked to see but thats just my observation.

I would really like to see more original artists in the artist alley so I would encourage those of you who are making good fan art to broaden your horizons and maybe create something of your own.

Other than that things went really well. Looking forward to next year.
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

It's the same reason that makes you go "WTF" when they bought 14 tables at Otakon a couple years back.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by marikotoeii »

i dont know what id even do with 2 tables lol
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MerchMaven »

Nothing better than real life spamming.

This would explain why, after the Dealer's room was closed up and we were taking a look around, I found about half a dozen AA badges in the trash by one table. I kept one because they are adorable. If you want it, Nikki, let me know.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Tuberat
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

se, i can't stop something like this, if i don't know who's doing the cover. this isn't the first time i've heard about this issue....its getting frustrating.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Tuberat
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

nah kerry, cons over, you can keep it! :)

i think christian and i will be working more closely on inter-room cross polinations....this is not good. it may take a while to fix though.

michelle - i appreciate taht you are checking your volume levels, etc...

ang - i believe the official count was 12 tables. but please note that otakon ALSO allows for the purchase of multiple tables - and from what i understand that wound up being three groupings of purchases - which is something we do NOT allow if possible.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Tuberat]i don't recall ramy getting a table or a badge.
[/quote]

According to the map, 94 and 95 were "Anonymous," so as far as I know, they could've been just about anyone. I spotted Sylvia at 64, and I do know I saw a Sylvia/Ramy table in the Dealer's Room because I recognized the style and spotted a print my husband got me two years ago. I thought nothing of it at the time because I didn't realize they still had space up in the Alley. Some stuff looked similar, but it's a common fanart style too, so it didn't register. Besides, I did my Alley run on Friday and my Dealer's Room run on Saturday, so it didn't click.

Perhaps take note of the names that signed up for 94 and 95 this year (Google them if it helps to spot the supposed artists' personal pages or DA accounts), and check for mass space-buying by those people again next year. I'd keep a list of the extra badge names too, and be ready to punt someone if you realize they're all buying spaces for the same person.

I wouldn't mind submitting an art sample or sample website with Letters of Intent if it's just to prove you're not getting more than one space, but that could create more hassles with signups. :shrug: Because it's NOT fair to the artists who didn't get in if someone else is getting a total of four tables for selling by cheating the rules.

That said, let's us as artists all keep our eyes open next year to help Nikki as we spot it. I would assume that even at-con, she can kick someone out of a space (refund or not depending on whether you want to reimburse them for breaking rules) and then sell it to someone else who wants it.
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by stray-x »

[quote=Kogarashi]I wouldn't mind submitting an art sample or sample website with Letters of Intent if it's just to prove you're not getting more than one space, but that could create more hassles with signups. :shrug: Because it's NOT fair to the artists who didn't get in if someone else is getting a total of four tables for selling by cheating the rules.[/quote]
I definitely support this. It's terribly unfair for R/SS to take up multiple tables in the AA and the DR when more deserving artists can't even get into the AA. I only got a 2ft spot this year, and I had to share my limited space with a friend b/c she got placed on the waiting list. If 2 artists can share a 2ft space, I don't see why Ramy and Sylvia need 4 tables.
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Cowboy »

Yeah, I think I will do that too.

If we want to keep rule breakers out of the alley we have to report them all as it happens to Nikki. We can not let ourselves get a bad name because of a few bad apples that can not follow rules.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by egyptianruin »

[quote=Kogarashi][quote=Tuberat]i don't recall ramy getting a table or a badge.
[/quote]

According to the map, 94 and 95 were "Anonymous," so as far as I know, they could've been just about anyone. I spotted Sylvia at 64, and I do know I saw a Sylvia/Ramy table in the Dealer's Room because I recognized the style and spotted a print my husband got me two years ago. I thought nothing of it at the time because I didn't realize they still had space up in the Alley. Some stuff looked similar, but it's a common fanart style too, so it didn't register. Besides, I did my Alley run on Friday and my Dealer's Room run on Saturday, so it didn't click.

Perhaps take note of the names that signed up for 94 and 95 this year (Google them if it helps to spot the supposed artists' personal pages or DA accounts), and check for mass space-buying by those people again next year. I'd keep a list of the extra badge names too, and be ready to punt someone if you realize they're all buying spaces for the same person.

I wouldn't mind submitting an art sample or sample website with Letters of Intent if it's just to prove you're not getting more than one space, but that could create more hassles with signups. :shrug: Because it's NOT fair to the artists who didn't get in if someone else is getting a total of four tables for selling by cheating the rules.

That said, let's us as artists all keep our eyes open next year to help Nikki as we spot it. I would assume that even at-con, she can kick someone out of a space (refund or not depending on whether you want to reimburse them for breaking rules) and then sell it to someone else who wants it.[/quote]

I am almost 100% it was Ramy at either 94 or 95 - I sat right across from them and noticed the same style of art as Ramy's DA page. This print I believe was there ( http://fav.me/d2i08yj ) Please don't take the things I say at face value right now because I am on morphine from surgery, lol and I can't remember every print at the table.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

...I don't understand why someone that good would do things like this o___o`;;
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=FluffC]...I don't understand why someone that good would do things like this o___o`;;[/quote]

Capitalism, would be my guess. More space = more sales = more money overall.

If it really did happen, and does happen again, we artists need to help the staff nip it in the bud right at the start. Nothing's going to get fixed if the staff doesn't know what needs fixing.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by egyptianruin »

I will definitely be on the lookout at the other cons I attend this year (acen and otakon) and report it to their staff if I see the same shenanigans. When the 12-14 table thing happened at Otakon that one year I didn't know anything about them until after the con when people complained.

cutenkitschy.com
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by egyptianruin »

[quote=marikotoeii]Now I am not trying to hate on crafters, but I did see quite a few tables selling the same kinds of things (The loli accessories)(The crochetted anime doodles) I think it might work out better for you to pool your resources and get a table in the dealers room.

I just noticed that there wasnt as much variety in the crafting as I wouldve liked to see but thats just my observation.[/quote]

I thought the crafting selection was pretty nice. I loved the papercrafts, cross stitching and such - some stuff I usually don't see at other cons I attend.

cutenkitschy.com
yuureikun
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by yuureikun »

94 and 95 were NOT Ramy and Sylvia (I was across from one of the tables in the infamous Otakon '08 and I know the style of their work). But they did seem to work together, which I'm not sure whether getting two tables would be against the rules. Also, when I asked if they had a website or DA they said it was only a convention thing - which doesn't sound right if you're an artist who actually wants to at least TRY to make a living off of your artwork.

*cries* and please don't say Ramy and Sylvia that good. They're not the worst artists I've seen, but they should be trying to do more than the same wait/bust up 3/4 face shot for their prints. It gets old. ED actually has overlays of Ramy's work: same face on 90% of them. And they need to learn how to really paint a picture rather than JUST using dodge and burn. >.> There were a few good artists there that do the convention circle who should be praised far more than them for artistic talent.
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

What I don't get, is why in heck would anyone sign up under 'anonymous'? Isn't everyone trying to promote their artwork and make more sales? Everyone should have a studio name, or DA account listed. Especially if you want to get more commissions, traffic, etc.

In fact, I think if you do away with this whole 'anonymous' listing, you would get to the bottom of people trying to get around the table limit rules really quick.

This brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves. I saw a few tables with just art, and no name, business cards, or any way to identify who the heck the artist was. ????? Why???? Are you just a n00b? And don't know any better, or do you really not want to expand your sales?

Business 101: Build a BRAND! Design a logo, get a website (or DA) and have business cards! Sell yourselves & your art people!!

FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

I ran out of business cards T-T
I brought older ones on the second day, and people who already took the first one took those too XD; ahhhhh XP
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

Agreed, hemlock_lynx. I like the idea of doing away with "Anonymous" signups, partly because a lot of the time it strikes me as somewhat suspicious. Why wouldn't you want someone to know who you are? What are you hiding?

No, really, what are they hiding? I'm curious.

As for business cards, I've found that if you've got anything even approaching a good design, regardless of what you sell, make sure to bring more than enough cards. My partner only brought one batch of Moo cards (~50?) with her because she never gives away enough cards to warrang more. Except that this year her cards featured new art I did for her as a gift, which was bright and eye-catching and, if I do say so myself, a good reason to take the business cards anyway. She had to resort to writing her info on the back of my extras because she ran out. If you bring more than enough, you can always get rid of the straggling extras before putting out your new designs in subsequent years.

It did bug me when I'd go around and see an artist I liked, but who had no website or business card for me to find them again later. At the very least, if you run out of cards, put up a piece of paper with your info so people can write it in their con guides.
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

I did consider going with anonymous because I had a stalker at one point who originally began stalking me through the internet T-T I thought if I listed myself as anonymous, then he wouldn't have a chance to find out I was going to be here, make plans to come to AB, and make trouble for me. But then I thought... if he does show up, my assistant will kick his ass. }:|
I don't know if he did show up or not. There was one strange person at one point who had the same mannerisms, but their face was completely covered... they left quickly enough, though. We couldn't understand what he was saying, so I guess he got embarrassed and ran away. o_o

I got a lot of compliments on my business cards when people were taking them @_@`; I didn't think they were that great... I did end up scribbling my info down on index cards towards the end, but I don't think anybody took those. lol.

Also, about calling this "Ramy" person good, I'm sorry! (´・ω・) I'm not familiar with him/her(?) at all.
TwinEnigma
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by TwinEnigma »

Lynx - also seconding the anon removal.

I can understand about people being concerned about identity issues, but if they want more customers they need a solid identity, even if it's just built around their username or group name.

Although, business cards do have this unfortunate habit of running out fast. I ended up resorting to a pack of pre-cut name badge inserts and using a stamp with my info on it this year (and man, I love that stamp, lifesaver that it was).

@yuureikun: This. It does, however, make them pretty easy to spot. I really do not think those two belong in artist alley at all, ever. They have a sales pitch that basically crams stuff down the customer's throats and they're pushing their product at an insane volume of prints.

The problem with them is the way they purchase tables through proxies. I would NOT mind having to submit samples with my letter of intent next year if it meant eliminating their proxies.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MerchMaven »

Ahem, might I suggest?

Best artist I've ever worked with had postcards printed in bulk. On the front was a picture from her current portfolio, whatever she really liked, and on the back, a full listing of her next couple of appearances.

They cost barely more than business card, they're a little bigger, so people tend to hang them up or put them on the fridge, and if someone likes your work, they can flip it over and say, "Oh, she's also going to be at Otakon! I need to look for her there!"

Also, people sign up for a mailing list if they get free fridge art. 8)
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Black Rose Mikage
Getting the hang of this...

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Black Rose Mikage »

[color:brown]I had a blast at Anime Boston, but I agree with what has been said. The AA was crowded, and there were massive crowds of people standing around when many con-goers were trying to look at art and get through to try and make purchases. Maybe a bigger space could be an idea, or maybe a different setup so it would cause less of a traffic jam :)
Some of the artists were amazing nonetheless![/color]
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by marikotoeii »

My issue is a lot of the time when I am billed in an artist alley or as a guest someplace they use my real name and I'd rather show my studio name :)
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by 021210 »

[quote=marikotoeii]
Now I am not trying to hate on crafters, but I did see quite a few tables selling the same kinds of things (The loli accessories)(The crochetted anime doodles) I think it might work out better for you to pool your resources and get a table in the dealers room.
[/quote]

This isn't feasible because none of us know each other, and aside from my table, I'm pretty sure the other lolita accessory tables came from out of state. And not to mention we probably wouldn't even break even if we got a booth in the dealers room, when we just barely broke even and made a (minuscule) profit in the AA and of course with the other, much larger lolita dealers, it would be a waste.
b-a-w
I'm new!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by b-a-w »

I just wanted to clarify one thing: Ramy was not at AnimeBoston, his sister was.

Also I have been attending AnimeBoston for three years now and I would like to say it is by far the BEST run convention that I have attended (I've been to a lot).

Those of you complaining about the crowding / too much space between the tables (rows and behind the table) be GRATEFUL that the space is there. I tabled at AnimeEXPO (last year in particular) and they have a similar set up to that of Boston BUT without the spaces between the tables in rows and there was significantly less space behind the tables. It was absolute murder to try and organize your stuff even if you shoved it underneath your table and underneath your table was pretty much your only escape if you weren't lucky enough to be positioned on the one of two ends.

Check in was fantastic. I got my convention and artist alley badges on Thursday and even though we got stopped for a bit by security that has absolutely nothing to do with Artist Alley thus, no complaints for this department.

I have NO complaints about AnimeBoston this year except that the large prop issue that everyone else has already addressed. Nikki thank you for doing a fantastic job with AA this year again, without your exceptional hard work AnimeBoston would not have been enjoyable for any of us.
Delicious Orange
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Delicious Orange »

I have to say, while I haven't been participating in Artist Alley's for very long, this has easily been the most enjoyable experience I have had in an Alley yet.

Registration was painless and quick, while I still think that there has to be some way to make the initial online Artist Alley application less hectic, overall things seemed to run smoothly.

The convention center was by far the nicest I've been to yet. Carpeted floors and excellent temperature control made it very comfortable to spend the weekend there.

I had a small, two-foot, booth and was situated between two other, much larger booths, so i felt a little bit like a tiny quick-mart between two skyscrapers, but I guess that might just have been the towering displays on either side of me all weekend. My table neighbors were all very friendly and helpful, I can definitely say I've made some new friends over the course of the weekend.

The Alley hours definitely helped improve traffic. Having the extra crowd around before the dealer's room opened and later after the dealer's room closed was very nice. I definitely feel like it helped improve my exposure and to a lesser extent, my business performance. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a particularly good time for me to sneak off and check out events or the dealer's room, but in the end I think it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Overall, I have practically nothing but accolades for Boston's Alley. Though it seems that according to this thread there were a few hickups, my overall experience was incredibly enjoyable and I hope to attend next year if at all possible.
---------------------------------
Delicious Orange Art
TinyLittleTohru
Obsessed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by TinyLittleTohru »

This may not be the place to put this..

but i'm looking for whoever made these:

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx18 ... 001803.jpg

I want to buy more of them ;__;
Yammark
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Yammark »

The artist alley was wonderful, just simply wonderful this year.
Yamma!
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by stray-x »

That's from my friend http://animegirl000.deviantart.com/ :) She's currently selling extras on LJ
MacX
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MacX »

Personally I had my best AA yet, due to my sales and who I was near...I was REALLY happy how AA had "dibs" on Fri vs the Dealers Room

I also ran outta cards by Sunday, BUT I did have an automatic stamp, which I used to pass my info and put them on other people's badges. I was kinda surprized cuz more peeps took my cards than the previous year...and also had a large foot traffic.

I thought the crafters (me being one of them) was pretty decent. I especially liked all the Crochet chars...the PaperCrafts (table partners from last year) and a few other clay sculptors besides me.

And yeah I agree with everyone's assessment on the anonymity thing for AA.
I can sculpt anything out of clay for you. Challenge me.

“I’ve known Macklin for a very long time and I think he is an incredibly talented person.” - Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Pokemon).

Follow me on twitter @ HeyLookASign
TheDeedlit
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by TheDeedlit »

[quote][quote=MacX]THe problem with an "extra" AA room is that it doesnt get as much traffic as the bigger hall, and those AA peeps suffer as a result becuz it is overlooked/hard to find

[quote=Kogarashi]Agreed. There were two "extra" rooms in 2008, and I remember the artists in there talking about how they got less traffic overall because people didn't realize there was more to the Alley.[/quote]
[color:purple]Not only that, but it's a logistical nightmare to patrol an extra two rooms.[/color]
[quote]I was wondering tho why Security at RANDOM times came up to the AA tables and ask to see my badge. Now granted I understand that this was to avoid "squaters" but I was thinking "R u kidding me? I've been here the entire time! XD "[/quote]

[quote=Kogarashi]And Security never bothered to come by and ask anyone around us that we saw. Which might have helped, as the four-foot space to one side of us had 2-3 friends behind the two people managing the table all day on Saturday, making for a very crowded space (not to mention that at least half of the friends had no Artist badges and were often asked to cover the table). The table to the other side frequently had a mini "party" going on as well, but never more than the alotted number of people for their space.[/quote]

[color:purple]I personally did badge checks several times. Only twice did I go by and purposefully ask EVERYONE for badges, even the people I knew or had checked in myself, because people kept saying no on was checking badges. And even on Sunday, I had people sitting at tables that didn't have badges. I'm sorry if people felt it was intrusive, but it was productive, and necessary.

As for props, pictures and congestion, if I had a quarter for every time I told people "take pictures in the hall", "You can't take that sword/flag/prop in here" or "Please don't stand in the walkways" I would be a very rich woman.[/color]
Kathy Lawton
Artist Alley Manager 2018-2020
artistalley@animeboston.com
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by basharoftheages »

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the average quality in the alley this year. Saw some really good stuff. That said, I was saddened by the lack of non-character art (landscape and the like). I'd love to spend more, but i'm not hanging character portraits on my walls.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Jacob

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Jacob »

[quote=FluffC]Well I looked them up and I think their dealer's room thing was for Fakku, while their artist alley booth was for this side-project of theirs which is supposedly more artist-based.

uuuwaaa, I don't want anyone to think I hate them or something ( ̄へ ̄)...but my assistant was very irked by this the whole time and wanted me to ask...

...and if anyone from that table ever comes across this, you didn't bother me personally I swear XD;;[/quote]
I am Jacob, the owner of FAKKU and I am the one who registered both our booth in the Dealer's Room and the one in the Arist Alley. We actually had a problem with the registration that Nikki was gracious enough to help us out with before the convention. I have been meaning to thank her and the entire Artist Alley staff for putting up with us and having an awesome weekend. Truly everyone involved did a great job.

To clarify yes we had a booth in both rooms but they were not made up of all the same things. The Artist Alley booth was promoting both our resident artist Arthur Gibree (found at http://artystic.com/ ) and some of the projects I work on with the artists of FAKKU. We had put together an "Art Book" on our forums (found at http://www.fakku.net/viewforum.php?f=37 ) that was only being sold in the Artist Alley as it was the most appropriate place for it.

If this is somehow against the rules I apologize. I only registered both booths under my name because it was the easiest thing to do. Our booth did attract a lot of attention due to people who wanted to meet us, but other than that I don't see why it would have been an issue. I have always done my best to promote the talented artists that reside in all of alleys at the conventions we visit, and if I ever did something to make it difficult for them to operate I would feel terrible.

But I am confused FluffC, because when you added me on Facebook and I asked who you were you told me this:

[quote=Fluffys Garamon]...I was the blonde who basically looks like Misa Amane everyday (...but I only cosplayed her one day) ... and in a bad mood because my friend who promised to be my assistant decided he "doesn't get anime anymore" and didn't want to come, and thus my MOM (who knows absolutely nothing about anime/manga/video games/Japan/the internet) volunteered at last minute to take his place... and while that was nice of her, it was kind of embarrassing... and she kept complaining about everything.[/quote]
So that would mean your assistant was your mother who you said "knows absolutely nothing about anime, manga, or video games and complained about everything the entire weekend". Please send her my apologizes, I know how difficult mothers can be at times as I have one of my own!
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

Jacobbbb :[
There's no apology needed, really. I already told her that the tables were two different things and she was just "ehh ok whatever".
I wanted to go back and edit-out those posts I made, but I can't find the edit option anymore... I think I waited too long.
Yuki of the Stars

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Yuki of the Stars »

[quote=TwinEnigma]Lynx - also seconding the anon removal.

I can understand about people being concerned about identity issues, but if they want more customers they need a solid identity, even if it's just built around their username or group name.

Although, business cards do have this unfortunate habit of running out fast. I ended up resorting to a pack of pre-cut name badge inserts and using a stamp with my info on it this year (and man, I love that stamp, lifesaver that it was).

@yuureikun: This. It does, however, make them pretty easy to spot. I really do not think those two belong in artist alley at all, ever. They have a sales pitch that basically crams stuff down the customer's throats and they're pushing their product at an insane volume of prints.

The problem with them is the way they purchase tables through proxies. I would NOT mind having to submit samples with my letter of intent next year if it meant eliminating their proxies.[/quote]

I think I may have bought prints from them just this year. I started out just looking at one of Lightning from FFXIII for my mother, but the vendor insisted that they were having a sale, and I ended up leaving with 8 pieces of art, costing me a good $40.

To be honest, I regretted it, and now that I'm looking at them... They all really do look the same. Pretty, but identicle expressions.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Yuki of the Stars][quote=TwinEnigma]@yuureikun: This. It does, however, make them pretty easy to spot. I really do not think those two belong in artist alley at all, ever. They have a sales pitch that basically crams stuff down the customer's throats and they're pushing their product at an insane volume of prints.

The problem with them is the way they purchase tables through proxies. I would NOT mind having to submit samples with my letter of intent next year if it meant eliminating their proxies.[/quote]

I think I may have bought prints from them just this year. I started out just looking at one of Lightning from FFXIII for my mother, but the vendor insisted that they were having a sale, and I ended up leaving with 8 pieces of art, costing me a good $40.

To be honest, I regretted it, and now that I'm looking at them... They all really do look the same. Pretty, but identicle expressions.[/quote]

Some of their stuff is pretty good (I've got a print of Anti-Form Sora from Kingdom Hearts II, which is atmospheric and cool), but yeah, most of it is cookie-cutter and they're infamous now for taking up more space than is fair or even allowed by con rules.

My rule of thumb when browsing the Alley and Dealer's Room is to give the room a once-over before even thinking of getting out my wallet, to make sure I've seen everything available and made a decision on what I want. I'm less likely to leave with things I don't want in the long run that way, so I end up with less buyer's remorse. The one exception was when I was looking for a particular Final Fantasy mini that I already knew the general price of and knew that it was extremely hard to find, so I bought it at the first booth I found that had it for the general price.

Just remember, you and evereyone else, that you can always say no to a sales pitch. Just because an artist is having a sale doesn't mean you have to buy from them. Including me. ;) Mark them on your Alley map, head off to think about it for a while, and go back when the pressure's not on. "I'll think about it," while frustrating for artists to hear, is a perfectly acceptable phrase (in my book at least).
Yuki of the Stars

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Yuki of the Stars »

[quote=Kogarashi][quote=Yuki of the Stars][quote=TwinEnigma]@yuureikun: This. It does, however, make them pretty easy to spot. I really do not think those two belong in artist alley at all, ever. They have a sales pitch that basically crams stuff down the customer's throats and they're pushing their product at an insane volume of prints.

To be honest, I regretted it, and now that I'm looking at them... They all really do look the same. Pretty, but identicle expressions.[/quote]

Some of their stuff is pretty good (I've got a print of Anti-Form Sora from Kingdom Hearts II, which is atmospheric and cool), but yeah, most of it is cookie-cutter and they're infamous now for taking up more space than is fair or even allowed by con rules.

My rule of thumb when browsing the Alley and Dealer's Room is to give the room a once-over before even thinking of getting out my wallet, to make sure I've seen everything available and made a decision on what I want. I'm less likely to leave with things I don't want in the long run that way, so I end up with less buyer's remorse. The one exception was when I was looking for a particular Final Fantasy mini that I already knew the general price of and knew that it was extremely hard to find, so I bought it at the first booth I found that had it for the general price.

Just remember, you and evereyone else, that you can always say no to a sales pitch. Just because an artist is having a sale doesn't mean you have to buy from them. Including me. ;) Mark them on your Alley map, head off to think about it for a while, and go back when the pressure's not on. "I'll think about it," while frustrating for artists to hear, is a perfectly acceptable phrase (in my book at least).[/quote]
Yeah... I still love all I got, but it kind of frustrates me, especially since I saw this beautiful stained glass that I really wanted. And I'm the daughter of a car sales-person!

Next year, I'll definatly keep this in mind.