Pro Row Question

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
caramelmilk
I'm new!

Pro Row Question

Post by caramelmilk »

Hello - I was just wondering for more clarification on what is and isn't allowed at pro row tables.

I understand that the website lists this rule:
"The majority of the artist's work must be original art and not fan art. The focus is on an artist's own creations, and not the intellectual property of someone else. If your website only shows fanart, you will be passed over."

I remember attending last year and seeing pro-row artists with fanart pieces for sale as well. Is there a certain percentage that artists should be aware of? (By majority does it mean more than 50% of the table should be original or should it be a larger amount?) Is it okay for pro row artists to have fanart at their tables as long as original art is also present? I just found the rule to be a little vague and would appreciate more detail.

Thank you so much!
Hokum_52
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Pro Row Question

Post by Hokum_52 »

The "standard" I've seen at most conventions was that fan art is allowed as long as it's not the majority of what you're selling, which means, yes, no more than 50%. Some other conventions don't put limitations on fan art, but that's mostly something I've seen happening in Europe, where it isn't that easy and fast to sue someone.
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Hokum_52 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm The "standard" I've seen at most conventions was that fan art is allowed as long as it's not the majority of what you're selling, which means, yes, no more than 50%. Some other conventions don't put limitations on fan art, but that's mostly something I've seen happening in Europe, where it isn't that easy and fast to sue someone.
While I appreciate your perspective, there are as many policies as there are events especially in the US, so anything that might be called a "standard" is far from one.

I would wait to see an answer from our Artist Alley staff.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

Unfortunately, it seems like the staff isn't as responsive on these boards as they used to be. I'm not sure if you will have better luck with email, but if you do, please update us here if you get an answer.

I can only give you my perspective as well from having done Pro Row for AB a few times, but as you've said, that's not really the specifics you'd like to get.

I hope you can get an answer!
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
TheDeedlit
AB Staff

Post by TheDeedlit »

It has been the policy, in the past, to allow artists a little wiggle room by not stating an actual percentage. I personally do not want to have to look at every table and do the math as to whether or not exactly half the table is fan art. As a general rule of thumb, no more than half your table should be fan art. Pro row should probably be no more than 25% fan art.
Kathy Lawton
Artist Alley Manager 2018-2020
artistalley@animeboston.com
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

Hey Kathy, can I clarify something? As far as I knew, regular tables have not had any fanart limits or restrictions in the past, is Anime Boston changing that this year? Thanks!
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"