Video Programming feedback for 2008

Discuss all of Anime Boston's video programming here...except music videos which have their own forum.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

I realize that there was no Video Programming Manager, so there was understandably less planning than would be ideal. However, neither the program book nor Con Chowder listed which videos were being shown subbed and which dubbed. I suggest that next year certain video rooms be designated for showing subs only and the others dubs only, so that we attendees know which will have which. (If only one room is for subs (my preference), so be it—just as long as I know.)
NurikoBaka
Getting the hang of this...

Post by NurikoBaka »

1) :thumbup: That is a good idea. Maybe someone can take note of letting the con attendees know what videos are dubbed and what are subbed. It should be announced before the con starts and should be listed in the video descriptions. Not that I will walk out if it's subbed instead of dubbed or vice versa.

2) Anyone want to give me an explaination on why Mazin Kaiser was canceled and Loki was shown in it's place? That ruined my Fri night. }:(

genibane
Expert Poster

Post by genibane »

I agree that is an EXCELLENT idea. I noticed that they did that at the last Otakon and it was very helpful for me, so I wouldn't be going in and out of the video rooms trying to find an anime in subs.

I also have a gripe about a showing getting cancelled. Bleach on Sunday. It was my sister's first time watching it on Friday(Saturday, whatever) and both of us were looking foward to watching it on Sunday. Sunday's are already quiet, so there's not all that much to do before heading off besides watching anime. So not only was it cancelled, but there really wasn't anything of similiar quality/genre to take it's place. I was very dissappointed.

I also felt that we could have had a better selection of anime. I've noticed that other con's often show classics or monster movies (like several of them, not one or two), or even spoofs like Evangelion: Redeath, Ghost Hunters or Shinesman, which I've always found to be a lot of fun.
diz
AB Staff

Post by diz »

Hi,
Diz here.
The subbed/ Dubbed listing could be found on the site here:

http://2008.animeboston.com/events/sche ... st08.shtml

I've found that being Video Programming Manager is quite the exciting job. Video screener copies sometimes don't make it into ones hands up to a few moments before a screening. We try our best to plan but issues crop up. Maizen kaiser was one of those issues. I won't bore you with the details lets just say fusses were kicked up.

I apologize for spoiled plans.

Unfortunately I don't think there is away to make this work any better. The alternative would be to put out a very curtailed schedule or not put out a schedule at all and simply play what's exactly on hand at con excluding any suprises bad or good. (Pumpkin Scissors and the Wallflower were both last minute additions to the schedule.)
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=Diz]Hi,
Diz here.
The subbed/ Dubbed listing could be found on the site here:

http://2008.animeboston.com/events/sche ... st08.shtml[/quote]
Okay, at least it was somewhere. Though given the warnings at the top of that page ("IMPORTANT NOTICE: [...]") and my personal lack of Internet access at the con, knowing that would not have done me much good. ^_^;

[quote=Diz]I've found that being Video Programming Manager is quite the exciting job. Video screener copies sometimes don't make it into ones hands up to a few moments before a screening. We try our best to plan but issues crop up.[/quote]
I don't mind changes in the schedule—announcing them is part of what Con Chowder is for.
NurikoBaka
Getting the hang of this...

Post by NurikoBaka »

IMO, the Dub/Sub listing should also be in print. Like DocWatson said, having it online didn't help any bit for those who didn't have internet at the con. But hey, at least it was listed somewhere. Even though I knew that program schedule was somewher, I didn't expect it to list Dub/Sub. I guess I learned something.

That's what I thought happened to Mazin Kaiser. Doesn't mean I won't vent about it. :p

Is it possible to make an announcement, in printed form like Con Chowder, about which videos are most likely to be canceled?
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=genibane]... or even spoofs like Evangelion: Redeath, Ghost Hunters or Shinesman, which I've always found to be a lot of fun. [/quote]
Eva: Redeath is a fan-made parody and the legality of fan parodies is even sketchier than AMVs. This may be why AB hasn't ever shown any, not to my knowledge, at least.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=genibane]... or even spoofs like Evangelion: Redeath, Ghost Hunters or Shinesman, which I've always found to be a lot of fun. [/quote]
Eva: Redeath is a fan-made parody and the legality of fan parodies is even sketchier than AMVs. This may be why AB hasn't ever shown any, not to my knowledge, at least.[/quote]
They played S.T.E.A.M. back in 06 IIRC.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=Kiarrens][quote=genibane]... or even spoofs like Evangelion: Redeath, Ghost Hunters or Shinesman, which I've always found to be a lot of fun. [/quote]
Eva: Redeath is a fan-made parody and the legality of fan parodies is even sketchier than AMVs. This may be why AB hasn't ever shown any, not to my knowledge, at least.[/quote]
They played S.T.E.A.M. back in 06 IIRC.[/quote]

Yep. And Otakon has a full track dedicated to fan parodies.

But a fan parody/AMV MEP track would be pretty chill.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

AB played S.T.E.A.M.? srsly? How did I miss that? :D
But yeah, it'd be really nice to see some "more" fan-parodies at AB, if it's possible. I'm a sucker for Nescaflowne, personally. tehe.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
genibane
Expert Poster

Post by genibane »

I watched fan parodies at both Otakon and Anime Next. And when I went to Otakon they mentioned that they played it every year.
Corellian Jones
I'm new!

Post by Corellian Jones »

Anime Boston does not have anything like a “Midnight Madness” where they can show parody dubs? And the last parody was shown in 2006?

Man, that a bit on the depressing side for me.

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=genibane]... or even spoofs like Evangelion: Redeath, Ghost Hunters or Shinesman, which I've always found to be a lot of fun. [/quote]

There really is no difference between the two legally speaking. If the video is greatly altered but the song remains intact, then you will risk a cease and desist letter from whomever you copied the song from. The reason why music moguls do not pursue this option is because there are simply too many people out there making and showing music videos.

Fan Parody dubs on the other hand are relatively rare by comparison (at least well done ones). Professional companies going to conventions only want to see their product being shown in the video rooms so that it will help boost sales in the dealer’s room. A Fan parody of the latest thing that has just come out on the market isn’t going to make the company that has the rights to it very happy when they realize it is being given equal treatment. This is the main difference between Fan parody dubs and music videos.