A Quick Guide to Registration 2009

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Quick Guide to Registration

Now that Anime Boston is less than 2 weeks away it's time to start thinking about how you will retrieve your registration badge. A few things are new this year so it's important to know how things will work.

Registration is located in Exhibit Hall A
Exhibit Hall A is on the first floor of the Hynes Convention center. If you are entering from the Prudential Mall, head straight down the hall and it will be on your left before you reach the escalators. If you are entering from the Boylston Street entrance, head up the escalators and walk straight down the hall. It will be on your right. Please Note: If you arrive before registration opens, you must wait by the Boylston Street entrance. No lines will be permitted by the mall entrance.

[color:red]NOTE: Due to construction on the sidewalk outside of the Hynes, the line for Registration will be inside. HOWEVER, the Hynes will not let any attendees in the building BEFORE:

3 PM on Thursday
7:45 AM on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Please stay away from the construction area for your own safety.[/color]

Registration Hours
Thursday, May 21 - 4pm-10pm Pre-registered members ONLY
Friday, May 22 - 8am-10pm
Saturday, May 23 - 8am-8pm
Sunday, May 24 - 8am-12noon

Lines
The registration lines will be sorted into “Pre-Registration” and “At-Con Registration”. (Except on Thursday when it's Pre-Reg Only.) These lines will be clearly labeled and there will be staff present to make sure you get in the correct line. Please note: If you tried to register for Anime Boston and failed to pay you will not be permitted in the Pre-reg line. You must pay for your registration in the at-con line. If you are unsure of your Pre-reg status, contact us and we will verify it for you. Also, If you are handicapped, please speak with one of our security staff to determine if you require assistance processing your registration.

I realize that many people are concerned about the line problem that we had last year. Let me assure you that every effort has been made to address this issue. We have contracted Expo Logic to run our on-site registration which gives us access to a professionally run database and increases our number of terminals from the 6-9 we had last year to 20 manned stations and 5 Express Pass Terminals.

Express Pass
Registration is trying out a new system to better improve your registration process. Everyone who pre-registered will be sent a barcode via email to use these express terminals. Please note: You still MUST present a valid ID in order to retrieve your badge. There will be at least 5 terminals open at all times, however if you forget your barcode there will still be plenty of normal pre-registration terminals where you can also retrieve your badge.

Group Pickup
Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen complication, group pickup will not be available. Everyone must pick up their own Badge. No exceptions

Pre-Registration ID Policy
In order to pick up your badge you must have a valid Photo ID. These include but are not limited to State ID, Drivers License, Passport, Liquor ID, Military ID, High School ID, College ID, Etc... If you are 12 and under, you do not need an ID but your guardian must present a valid ID to pick up their badge as well as yours. If you have any questions about this policy or are concerned you might not have the correct ID, please contact us. (PLEASE NOTE: You MUST have a Government Issued ID if you wish to attend any 18+ events)

At-Con Registration
If you are purchasing your registration at the convention, you do not need ID. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, money order, or travelers checks. No credit cards and no personal checks!

Customer Service Station
In order to serve you better we have created the Customer Service station. This station will serve to handle any registration issues that may come up. This is also where Press, Panelists, and Artists may also go to pick up their badge without waiting in line. Please Note: If you qualify for this privilege you will be contacted beforehand. Otherwise, you must wait in line with everyone else. No exceptions. And also, if you are picking up your registration at this terminal, the express pass barcode will not be needed.

Lost or Stolen Badge Policy
Anime Boston is not responsible for any lost or stolen badges. They are your responsibility and if they are lost or stolen you must purchase a new badge at the full purchase price. No exceptions.

Damaged Badge Policy
If your badge is damaged you may replace it for a new one, however you must turn in the damaged badge in order to retrieve the new one.

Transfer and Refund Policy
All convention badges are non-transferable and non-refundable. No Exceptions.

For a full list of Registration policies, please visit our website

If you still have any questions, please read through the registration FAQ or contact us if your question is not answered in our FAQ.

Note: Express Pass Terminals and the Customer Service station will be available during Registration hours only.

I hope this quick guide has been helpful, and we look forward to seeing you at Anime Boston 2009!

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Just wanted to make sure that the customer service station is open on Thursday since you don't mention it either way.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

as long as reg is open customer service will be too.

The secondary reason Customer Service was created was to remove the need to get the Reg Director for "special Cases" and "problems" and thus hopefully speed up the Line for everyone else.

The head of Customer Service is fully authorized by Jackie in 99% of the problems that can arise at con thus freeing Jackie and Jeni to monitor the REST of registration and only have to deal with the "High points" of problems and in essence allowing reg to operate that much more efficiently.

I'm certain I may be stepping on Reg's shoes by answering this, but since time is of the essence you deserved a prompt answer.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Mike is correct. The CS Station is open when reg is and is run by reg managers.
bright_red_atomsk
Getting the hang of this...

Post by bright_red_atomsk »

the express station sounds like a great idea! however, I don't suppose it'll work for group pickup since everyone has different bar codes? I'm the group leader for my group, does that mean the expression station doesn't apply for me?

thanks!
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=bright_red_atomsk]the express station sounds like a great idea! however, I don't suppose it'll work for group pickup since everyone has different bar codes? I'm the group leader for my group, does that mean the expression station doesn't apply for me?

thanks![/quote]

I'm in the process of verifying that. I will let everyone know once I hear word from Expo Logic.
samiti
AB Staff

Post by samiti »

If I'm picking up badges for a convention on con row, would I be going to the customer service station as well?
Alex Gingerich
Live Video Production Staff - 2012-2014
Special Projects Technical Staff - 2011
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=samiti]If I'm picking up badges for a convention on con row, would I be going to the customer service station as well?[/quote]
Yes you can.
konoha123
Experienced Poster

Post by konoha123 »

I'm 16 and I plan to use my drivers permit as my ID. It has my name, my picture and even my signature. That should be more than enough right?
Anime Boston 2013 Cosplays:
Friday: Sailor V- Sailor Moon
Saturday:Sailor Cosmos- Sailor Moon
mahoukiyoraka
Expert Poster

Post by mahoukiyoraka »

I got an e-mail about the express pass. I clicked on the pass... and opened it.
I was just wondering... why is the barcode/badge number different from the original badge number I received in my e-mail? I'm a bit confused about this.
Star-Twilight
I'm new!

Post by Star-Twilight »

I'm really excited about this new system with the Express Pass. I think that's really efficient. It does say it is open at "all times". Does this mean it is a 24-hour terminal because we are getting in a 12am on Friday from Amtrak and it would make life sooo much easier if we can get them before the rush in the morning.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

[quote=mahoukiyoraka]I got an e-mail about the express pass. I clicked on the pass... and opened it.
I was just wondering... why is the barcode/badge number different from the original badge number I received in my e-mail? I'm a bit confused about this.[/quote]

Yes, it will be different that any badge number you may have seen during the online pre-registration process, but it WILL print the same badge associated with your email address.

[quote=Star-Twilight]I'm really excited about this new system with the Express Pass. I think that's really efficient. It does say it is open at "all times". Does this mean it is a 24-hour terminal because we are getting in a 12am on Friday from Amtrak and it would make life sooo much easier if we can get them before the rush in the morning.[/quote]

Please see "Registration Hours" above.

"At All times" means all times that Registration is open. The Hynes closes operations at midnight. We cannot offer a 24 hour service.

~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=konoha123]I'm 16 and I plan to use my drivers permit as my ID. It has my name, my picture and even my signature. That should be more than enough right?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote=mahoukiyoraka]I got an e-mail about the express pass. I clicked on the pass... and opened it.
I was just wondering... why is the barcode/badge number different from the original badge number I received in my e-mail? I'm a bit confused about this.[/quote]

As stated in the express pass thread, Expo Logic has assigned their own numbers for the barcodes.
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

I added this to the main post but am posting it separately to make sure everyone sees this:

NOTE: Due to construction on the sidewalk outside of the Hynes, the line for Registration will be inside. HOWEVER, the Hynes will not let any attendees in the building BEFORE:

3 PM on Thursday
7:45 AM on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Please stay away from the construction area for your own safety.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

Didn't want to make a new thread and I can't seem to find it on the site, so I'll just ask here:

Does AB sell two-day passes? Like if I came on Friday, could I buy one for Friday and Saturday in one shot, or do I have to buy them separately on each day?

Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

No. You can either buy a day pass or a weekend pass, and considering you would pay more if you bought a pass each day, even if you're only going two days, a weekend pass is cheaper.
tobiinpajamas
Determined Poster

Post by tobiinpajamas »

There will be non-express pass terminals open on Thursday, right? I am quite certain I prereged but for whatever reason I never got the barcode in my email.
suza
AB Executive

Post by suza »

Yes, we will have regular manned pre-reg stations on Thursday as well as the express pass ones.

Did you check the spam folders on your email account(s)? We've had a few cases where the express pass emails ended up there. If you're not sure if you pre-regged or with what email you used and you'd like for us to check, please contact us via the Contact Form with your full name, mailing address and any email addresses you may have used.
Elisa Arteche
Anime Boston 2024 Director of Registration
Registration Staff 2008-2023
mistyhayes88
Expert Poster

Post by mistyhayes88 »

I know you may have gotten this question before, but I must ask, for my sanity's sake.

In New Hampshire they issue temporary IDs to us when we renew them. then they send it in the mail in about a month.

my birthday was the 15th, so I now have the temp ID. I just turned 21, but the issue I have is weather in Boston you will except it, since it is in black and white.

I'm nervous.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

The temp ID will be accepted for registration. However, it will not be accepted for 18+ events or if you try to use it to purchase alcohol.
BodaciousBasil
I'm new!

Post by BodaciousBasil »

The only ID I currently have is actually expired. I know I won't be able to attend 18+ events with it but will I be able to use it to pick up my badge?
Kitsoru
Veteran Poster

Post by Kitsoru »

Just a few things I wanted to make sure real quick about the expresspass barcodes:

1. Are they required to pick up prereg badges? Or is it just if you get to one of the unmanned terminals?

2. If so, we just need a really simple photocopy quality printout of it, right?
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Post by yunaofparadise »

So from what I read, any panelist/panel organizer of any panel like fan panels can skip the line and go to customer services to get their badge?
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=BodaciousBasil]The only ID I currently have is actually expired. I know I won't be able to attend 18+ events with it but will I be able to use it to pick up my badge?[/quote]

Expired ID is okay for reg only.

[quote=Kitsoru]Just a few things I wanted to make sure real quick about the expresspass barcodes:

1. Are they required to pick up prereg badges? Or is it just if you get to one of the unmanned terminals?

2. If so, we just need a really simple photocopy quality printout of it, right?[/quote]

1.) No. We will have normal terminals and express pass terminals.

2) As long as it's readable, it should be fine.

[quote=yunaofparadise]So from what I read, any panelist/panel organizer of any panel like fan panels can skip the line and go to customer services to get their badge?[/quote]

Yes, as long as they are on the panelist checklist, and you should know if you're on that list.
Skywise

Post by Skywise »

[quote=Eilonnwy]2) As long as it's readable, it should be fine.
[/quote]

They're not readable - the bar codes that is. I have a scanner and tested it. The problem is that the AB2K9 banner causes the page to shrink, making the bar code smear.

Now the solution is simple: you can just remove the banner on the web page, and save people a lot of trouble. In the meantime for people who read this, a workaround is to simply print the page in landscape mode.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=Skywise][quote=Eilonnwy]2) As long as it's readable, it should be fine.
[/quote]

They're not readable - the bar codes that is. I have a scanner and tested it. The problem is that the AB2K9 banner causes the page to shrink, making the bar code smear.

Now the solution is simple: you can just remove the banner on the web page, and save people a lot of trouble. In the meantime for people who read this, a workaround is to simply print the page in landscape mode.[/quote]

You could also just save the barcode image and print it seperately, no?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Skywise

Post by Skywise »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]
You could also just save the barcode image and print it seperately, no?[/quote]

That would also work, yes.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

The barcodes are readable as long as they haven't smudged or are printed on low ink.

I don't know what you tested with but Expo Logic has special orbital scanners and they have tested just fine.

Skywise

Post by Skywise »

If it works, great! All I know is that the resizing smudges the barcode so much that my reader can't handle it. Resizing the banner or removing it doesn't take that much effort, and would ensure that there's a greater chance of the barcodes working regardless.

That's up to you of course - I just figured I'd be doing people a favor and letting you know of a potential showstopper for registration, especially after the disaster last year.
Cinos
Determined Poster

Post by Cinos »

[color:red]I pre-registed but i have not recevied the bar code yet..... is there anyway i can get it still?
or did it go our to selctive people?[/color]
suza
AB Executive

Post by suza »

Unfortunately it's too late to resend the barcodes but you will be able to pick up your badge at any manne pre-reg station with your photo ID.
Elisa Arteche
Anime Boston 2024 Director of Registration
Registration Staff 2008-2023
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

This company is very efficient with the barcode scanners, I'm positive they have readers that can pick up the barcodes from any printer. And if there is a problem we have MANY regular terminals.