The Anime Boston 2009 Webcomic!

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Pham
AB Staff

Post by Pham »

Mystery... Intrigue...

Learn about this year's theme as A-chan and B-kun stumble around Tokyo in our first ever webcomic!

http://www.animeboston.com/press/webcomic
Tuan N. Pham
Asst Director of Public Relations, AB 2017, 2018
Director of Public Relations, AB 2007-2016
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Not that it makes that much difference for this one... but R->L or L->R?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Standard western L->R.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

I LOL'd. This is great, Hope. BKun is badass. I love the noir style of it all.
And he's apparently ON A BOAT!!
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
capybaron
Experienced Poster

Post by capybaron »

The use of artistic license is quite common in anime, manga and even webcomics :o

However, since I have recently done some research on Tokyo of the 1920s and 1930s (for an Anime Boston panel ;) ), I feel obliged to point out that skyscrapers are relatively new to Tokyo. While there was a considerable amount of rebuilding after the 1923 Kanto earthquake, the structures were of somewhat lesser stature than depicted in the May 22, 1929 panel (perhaps I am misreading the caption?). The Tokyo Tower (333 meters) was finished in 1958, while Hotel New Otani was the tallest building (at 72 meters/17 floors) from 1964 till 1968.

If the background is from an image that purports to be from the 1920s or 1930s, I would be curious to see a citation.

Your humble and obedient rodent,
the CapyBaron
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

I think the skyline has more to do with the fact that if an artist has to create a full manga page once a week while working full time they will use the skins available in their manga creator. :-P

Sounds like you know a lot about Japanese history, I'm sure your panel will be great. Next year you might want to talk to me about putting together a themed panel, I've been known to comp badges or give out small honorariums for panelists slightly more informed than the average. :-P
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Bryguy180
Expert Poster

Post by Bryguy180 »

Since it's understandably unreasonable to think updates to this webcomic will occur at a fast pace, I'm curious to see how this can be tied in to the theme for '09 with only three weeks to go. Will this continue on for a few more pages after the con, and be a sort of introduction and closure thing? That could be pretty cool~

I like it so far, though =B
SeanDonnanArt
Expert Poster

Post by SeanDonnanArt »

Haha, yes, that is something I had noticed while reading the webcomic, and I'm glad capybaron had the facts to point it out. In addition, I found this image of Tokyo in 1925. Don't think it would have changed that much. http://aboutjapan.japansociety.org/cont ... ginza_1925

Not to sound like a jerk but even if they're attempting to use what is available to them in their program, that's no excuse for not doing the proper research simply on the computer, to accurately portray the historic time. I'm saying this as a professional illustrator myself.

In addition to that, they mention in the small box at the bottom left of the second page that the Mitsukoshi Shopping Center was built in 1930, while the comic takes place in 1929. It will be interesting to see if they show it in construction or, incorrectly, finished and open for business. The picture I gave the link to was of the Ginza district by the way, so it will be interesting to see if they accurately portray it in the 3rd page.

Finally, and I'm sounding like a reeeeeaaal dick now, but the perspective on B-kun's hat is off in the 2nd to last panel of the 2nd page...