Anime Boston Contracts Expo Logic for Onsite Registration

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

I am pleased to announce that Anime Boston has contracted Expo Logic for On-Site Registration. Expo Logic brings lots of experience in Consumer Show registration, they have done registration for the NY Times Travel Show, Boston Globe Travel Show and the CHA Craft Super Show in Orlando, FL. For more details on what this means for AB Registration, check out the AB Registration Blog
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Absolutely awesome news. Great job bringing them in - trade show folk tend to know how to keep everything moving fast.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

Oh crap. This is amazing. Especially the part where you're basically tripling the number of stations for on-site reg.

Thank you!
Miyukichan11
Veteran Poster

Post by Miyukichan11 »

Was Expo Logic the same group you used the second day last year? The first day had scary lines... but the second day was a ton better.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=Miyukichan11]Was Expo Logic the same group you used the second day last year? The first day had scary lines... but the second day was a ton better. [/quote]

This will be the first time that we will be using Expo Logic's services.

I assume you're talking about how Friday of 2008 was worse than Saturday. That was because we reconfigured the room at midnight on Friday and borrowed peoples laptops to get 3 more reg stations. This had nothing to do with outsourcing but just reconfiguring our own setup for better flow.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

One question I forgot to ask earlier... The express pick-up option will still require ID, right? So if person A lost their barcode and person B found it they couldn't simply take A's badge from registration and be on their way, right?
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]One question I forgot to ask earlier... The express pick-up option will still require ID, right? So if person A lost their barcode and person B found it they couldn't simply take A's badge from registration and be on their way, right?[/quote]

Good question. I was thinking maybe they would do it where you put in the info you reg'd with and if it doesn't match then they don't get it or something like that.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

YES. ID will still be checked at the Express check-in.

That requirement is not changing.
So please remember to bring ID!!
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
oobedoob
Getting the hang of this...

Post by oobedoob »

Is there any news on press badge registration or is that still being worked on?
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

Press badges are coordinated through PR.

Please contact them via the CONTACT FORM.

(Select PR from dropdown.)
~~ Jeni

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
oobedoob

Post by oobedoob »

Either I'm blind or "PR" is not in the dropdown list. All I see is: "Panels, Programing, Publications and Registration". I don't see anything mentioning press at all in that list.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

Sorry! They must have changed it to "publications" during the webpage upgrade.

That one will at least redirect to the PR email address so the correct dept. will get it.
~~ Jeni

drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

This is awesome news, Anime Boston has such a large attendance that this will be completely worthwhile. Thanks much guys :D
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

No more Linecon? OMG NO WAI...

:p

This will make a lot of people happy though. Thumbs up to AB! :D
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Now, if they can just keep people from lining up for the masquerade more than 2 hours before, THEN there will be no more Linecon.

Oh, and for those Orange Shirts working the line: If the line has gone the whole way around the floor and up or down the stairs, PLEASE have someone at the stairs to tell people this.
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

[quote=Fetch]Now, if they can just keep people from lining up for the masquerade more than 2 hours before, THEN there will be no more Linecon.[/quote]

We tried with the Pillows x.x Worked for a while, then became a hallway clogging blob of people waiting to stand in the line... Lines are safer than hallway clogging blobs.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Idea: put sign with the schedule of events for the 3 hours prior to what's going on in Main Events at where the line starts with the following sign underneath:

Don't stand in line for hours. Go enjoy the other stuff of the con. If none of what we have scheduled appeals to you, go get some food.
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

[quote=Fetch]Idea: put sign with the schedule of events for the 3 hours prior to what's going on in Main Events at where the line starts with the following sign underneath:

Don't stand in line for hours. Go enjoy the other stuff of the con. If none of what we have scheduled appeals to you, go get some food.[/quote]
It will still have a hallway clogging blob close to line start time.
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

[quote=Eimi][quote=Fetch]Idea: put sign with the schedule of events for the 3 hours prior to what's going on in Main Events at where the line starts with the following sign underneath:

Don't stand in line for hours. Go enjoy the other stuff of the con. If none of what we have scheduled appeals to you, go get some food.[/quote]
It will still have a hallway clogging blob close to line start time. [/quote]

Quoted for truth. There will still be an insane line lasting for a long time for the Masquerade.

I'd probably go check out the video games room though instead of waiting in line for that long. That will be a real fun way to kill some time. :P
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

/me points to topic

Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

This is excellent news. I know I told someone last year that I wouldn't be back at AB unless I could get a guarantee that I wouldn't spend my entire Friday in the registration line. This has just assured me that I can safely plan on coming back. Thank you.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=LantisEscudo]This is excellent news. I know I told someone last year that I wouldn't be back at AB unless I could get a guarantee that I wouldn't spend my entire Friday in the registration line. This has just assured me that I can safely plan on coming back. Thank you.[/quote]

That makes me very happy to hear. I'm confident this company will make registration much more pleasant this year.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

[quote=Eimi][quote=Fetch]Idea: put sign with the schedule of events for the 3 hours prior to what's going on in Main Events at where the line starts with the following sign underneath:

It will still have a hallway clogging blob close to line start time. [/quote]

This sounds like a stupid idea, but I'm just tossing it out there. For the big events (like the Pillows), tell people that the line for the event will not be starting at the entrance to the room. Start the line somewhere else on the floor, maybe in an empty area. Just don't tell anyone where the actual line will start. Then about 30 min before the event starts (or whatever time you want), announce it on the PA system (or volunteers with megaphones, whatever), where the line starts.

If people start piling up at the doorway, tell them the line won't start there and they'll be the last ones allowed in. Then start the line in some other corridor, and start moving it to the event hall. Hopefully people will get the picture that there is no line, and if they go where they think the line will be, they'll miss the actual line.

Again, I'm pretty sure it sounds stupid, but it doesn't hurt to bring up suggestions.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

[quote=Faceman]This sounds like a stupid idea, but I'm just tossing it out there. For the big events (like the Pillows), tell people that the line for the event will not be starting at the entrance to the room. Start the line somewhere else on the floor, maybe in an empty area. Just don't tell anyone where the actual line will start. Then about 30 min before the event starts (or whatever time you want), announce it on the PA system (or volunteers with megaphones, whatever), where the line starts.

If people start piling up at the doorway, tell them the line won't start there and they'll be the last ones allowed in. Then start the line in some other corridor, and start moving it to the event hall. Hopefully people will get the picture that there is no line, and if they go where they think the line will be, they'll miss the actual line.

Again, I'm pretty sure it sounds stupid, but it doesn't hurt to bring up suggestions.[/quote]
A pre-line stamp method would be much more effective. Go through the line asking if each person is aware they are in violation of the rules by standing in line. When they say yes and don't move you stamp their hands with something semi-permenent. People with stamps aren't allowed in. Everybody will eventually get the message. :P
Last edited by basharoftheages on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: emoticons show i'm not serious...
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

guys this is drifting...

so topic please?!
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Graceria
I'm Special!

Post by Graceria »

I'm so glad you guys got some outside help for reg. It must've been hell on you all last year what with the fiasco there was with the lines. I hope it works out the way we all want it too. ^_^
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=AB Registration Blog]]Furthmore we will be trying out their express pass option for pre-registration as well as the classic manned pre-registration pickup. This means if you pre-registered you will be emailed a barcode a couple weeks prior to the convention that will allow you to get your badge at an express pass station. Details about this new feature will be blogged about closer to the convention.[/quote]

Well, it's just 14 days and some odd hours before prereg badge pickup, and still no barcode or any further info has come.
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Post by Zigfried »

[quote=Fetch][quote=AB Registration Blog]]Furthmore we will be trying out their express pass option for pre-registration as well as the classic manned pre-registration pickup. This means if you pre-registered you will be emailed a barcode a couple weeks prior to the convention that will allow you to get your badge at an express pass station. Details about this new feature will be blogged about closer to the convention.[/quote]

Well, it's just 14 days and some odd hours before prereg badge pickup, and still no barcode or any further info has come.
[/quote]

I'm assuming the operative time frame is "closer to the convention" rather than "a couple weeks prior."
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

This is my fault, and I am sorry for not setting clearer expectations from the get-go. I definitely could have done a better job of that since I was the one working closely with the vendors. Thank you for calling me out on that. I apologise and will try harder next time.

The barcodes will be mailed out VERY CLOSE TO THE CONVENTION.

The closer the better. The thinking behind this is that we do not want anyone's barcodes to become misplaced (if people print them early...) OR get buried under the tons of spam mail we all get in our mailboxes every day (if you save it to print later.)

I should have an exact date for the email blast by tomorrow, but it will be around the 1-week-out timeframe.

~~ Jeni

Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, but I payed for mine and my sister's pre-reg. badges, but I only got an express pass in the mail. I asked my sister and she said she did not get one. Should I be worried? :(
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Contact Us if you would like us to verify the registration, however it's important to note the express barcode is NOT necessary. There will be 5 express pass terminals but 10 regular manned terminals in which all your sister will need is her ID.
Caileen
I'm new!

Post by Caileen »

With this year's group pick-up issues that Expo Logic has brought up, will you try to find a different system next year? Or maybe ask Expo Logic to add a group pick-up feature before the next convention?
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=Caileen]With this year's group pick-up issues that Expo Logic has brought up, will you try to find a different system next year? Or maybe ask Expo Logic to add a group pick-up feature before the next convention?[/quote]

To be fair, AB is one of the VERY few cons that even thought to have a group pick-up option. So the fact the Expo Logic didn't have such a feature in their system is perfectly logical.

It does, however, mean a few of my friends will most likely not be attending AB, mostly due to time constraints, which the Group pick-up option was going to help with.
*sigh* That's the way the ball crumbles.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

That's something that will be dealt with when we start working on 2010.