COVID Policy Update Anime Boston 2022

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Xeliam
AB Staff

COVID Policy Update Anime Boston 2022

Post by Xeliam »

covidupdate2_25.png
covidupdate2_25.png (91.96 KiB) Viewed 13634 times

We know many have been asking about our COVID Policy due to the ever changing nature of the situation. The finalized COVID Policy for Anime Boston 2022 can be found here.
You will find easy access to this page in the navigation menu “Convention Info” > Covid Policies and via a large button at the top of the home page.

A second update will be sent at a later date that will detail our processes for these requirements.

Thank you for your cooperation and we look forward to seeing you all after such a long time!
Mike Cutipa
Social Media Team
2020-2023
reaper527
Determined Poster

Re: COVID Policy Update Anime Boston 2022

Post by reaper527 »

will anime boston be revisiting these draconian policies closer to the convention now that they are in direct conflict with the latest recommendations the CDC released today? (plus the city of boston has already started phasing out the various city level mandates)

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... ng-schools

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/bo ... e/2648414/

(currently no part of massachusetts is classified as "high risk")

the fact that your policy cites "as mandated by the city of boston" seems noteworthy because there is a very high probability that this will NOT be mandated by the city of boston by may.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
rolypolyloli
I'm new!

Post by rolypolyloli »

“Draconian?” Get a grip. Show some respect for your fellow humans and suck it up. It’s a shot (which everyone should have by now barring anaphylaxis, in which case you shouldn’t be attending a huge event in the midst of a pandemic anyway) and a mask. Do you really think AB wants the PR nightmare (at the very least) of a massive outbreak at their event?

I, for one, am happy with the Covid safety policy. I am immunocompromised and would prefer not to test the efficacy of my vaccination if I can help it. This is going to be a gathering of some 25k people, many of whom don’t practice basic hygiene in the best of times. I don’t care what the CDC says—they also wanted us to shorten quarantine just so that the corporate machine could have its cogs back with no regard for human health. Covid is far from gone, contrary to what many seem to believe, and an abundance of caution is the best course of action.

Thank you for considering the health and safety of all attendees, AB!
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

From the wording of the update and prior updates Anime Boston has made in regards to masks, it always seems like they reference the Massachusetts mask mandate. So I would guess if the mandate goes away in Massachusetts AB will re-evaluate again and decide what makes the most sense.

I'll follow what ever rules are put in place but I would prefer to be able to take the mask off if I'm distanced from others or for photos. But again I'll follow what ever rules are in place by AB.

Also there is a huge chance rules and expectations could change up to the actual con, and even during the con.

As for press they are in a pickle either way because they will have bad press if they force masks when the state and CDC say they don't need too, and they'll have bad press for holding a convention while masks are needed. We all know this is a spotlight situation and they will not please everyone.
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

rolypolyloli wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:18 pm “Draconian?” Get a grip. Show some respect for your fellow humans and suck it up. It’s a shot (which everyone should have by now barring anaphylaxis, in which case you shouldn’t be attending a huge event in the midst of a pandemic anyway) and a mask. Do you really think AB wants the PR nightmare (at the very least) of a massive outbreak at their event?

I, for one, am happy with the Covid safety policy. I am immunocompromised and would prefer not to test the efficacy of my vaccination if I can help it. This is going to be a gathering of some 25k people, many of whom don’t practice basic hygiene in the best of times. I don’t care what the CDC says—they also wanted us to shorten quarantine just so that the corporate machine could have its cogs back with no regard for human health. Covid is far from gone, contrary to what many seem to believe, and an abundance of caution is the best course of action.

why should 25k people be forced to comply with security theater which even the CDC says is unnecessary? remember when everyone was saying "trust the science" for the last 2 years? because the science is very clear. the fact of the matter is that an ineffective paper mask is just for show when you have 25k people (whom you've called unhygienic) sitting shoulder to shoulder with no social distancing for hours at a time in rooms just as packed as 2019.

someone who is fearful of the virus shouldn't be attending a 25k person event regardless of mask/vaccine policy, because the science has shown they do little to nothing in terms of controlling the spread. it's hard to imagine ANY doctor would advise an at risk individual to attend such a large, undistanced event.

ab's policies aren't keeping anyone safe any more than the tsa making people who aren't willing to pay an annual fee take their shoes off at the airport. if someone wants to wear a mask because it makes them feel safe, more power to them. that shouldn't be forced on everyone else. saying that AB is at risk of a "massive outbreak" if they don't implement these unscientific, fear mongering policies flies in the face of what is right in front of everyone's face with every large sporting event throughout the country abandoning these draconian, ineffective mandates.

holding con goers to different standards than the celtics/bruins games going on a few t-stops away makes no sense. ab absolutely should be revisiting these policies given that they aren't in line with the recommendations of the medical experts nor societal norms.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Speaking from experience. I volunteered at RI Comiccon last Nov. Their policy was mandatory mask. Loosely followed maybe 1/3 wore them, we were informed not to confront guest and leave that to center staff and the police on duty, actually police and convention center staff were the worst offenders, There was no vaccine mandate though. The attendance is similar to AB in a MUCH smaller venue foot traffic is almost shoulder to shoulder everywhere.
So after all that most mask less, optional vaccine, and tightly packed the positivity rate saw not spike afterwards.

At this point everyone wants to get the vaccine has got it. To me just seems like overkill to bar people who either don't want it or can't get it. With the Bruins/Celtic lifting their mandate AB will pretty much be the last venue to have it in place 3 months after everyone else lifts theirs.
Kashimalin
Experienced Poster

Post by Kashimalin »

I mean, they literally just published the policy. It JUST happened. The staff are volunteers who wrote these when they had the information they had at the time - which was masks and City of Boston vaccination mandates. And because they're a team tasked with keeping all of us safe in a pandemic, and not one person running the show, they can't update these overnight on a whim. Discussions will have to happen, individuals consulted, the safety of every option evaluated.

Of course these will be re-visited and could be updated - it even says it right there in the policy: "They may be updated as situations dictate." They're also going to put out a second update later, so it's not like there won't be more information. This is not the end-all, be all until they say it is.

For all we know, a new variant could come crashing through. The CDC could change their guidelines in April to say a fully vaccinated individual is someone with three shots.

We are three months out from the convention. They most likely wanted to give people ample notice so they can decide if they want to book a ticket/keep their ticket, or if they need a refund due to the vaccination mandate. (Can you imagine if they posted this like, a month out?) They're doing their best to keep us informed and you can always buy a ticket right before the con in mid-May. Staff will definitely have the policy ironed out by then, and you can decide if the policies align with what you need to comfortably and happily attend the convention!!
Also known as Kashi Cosplay!
Currently Sewing: Leif from Bug Fables; Iori Izumi from Idolish7
Future Cosplay Plans: Marielle from "The Tales of Marielle Clarac," Trey Clover from Twisted Wonderland, Yor from SpyxFamily
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Xeliam wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:56 pm covidupdate2_25.png

We know many have been asking about our COVID Policy due to the ever changing nature of the situation. The finalized COVID Policy for Anime Boston 2022 can be found here.
You will find easy access to this page in the navigation menu “Convention Info” > Covid Policies and via a large button at the top of the home page.

A second update will be sent at a later date that will detail our processes for these requirements.

Thank you for your cooperation and we look forward to seeing you all after such a long time!

<NOT Convention Staff - Personal Opinion Only>

Should masks still remain required at the final 30 day point before the convention, I hope a mass mailing to registration billing addresses will be initiated, not just a post thru the web, detailing mask requirements as 90% of attendees show up & learn of policy changes live at the con or within final 7 days just before arrival.

The blue cloth masks, that all state "Non Medical" upon the manufacturer packaging, that were the standard for the public & not fit the sides of the face properly or became associated with the phrase "chin diaper", below the N95 masks that were not widely available most of prior two years, have been proven/stated officially ineffective by the CDC in preventing spread or infection & labeled a mass population placebo. There are thousands of crafters out there who have been/will be making custom masks to fit their cosplay.

1) There needs to be a clear stated expectation/policy, that explains to the public/attendees the exact definition of acceptable forms of masking, as the City of Boston Order also does not define what a mask is beyond above cloth masks 2) Is cosplay considered performance under the City of Boston Order, with a 6 ft. waiver in effect for it? & 3) Who do the attendees expect as the acting gatekeeper for enforcement to gain entry, will it be convention volunteers/staff or city/state public/private officials?

Depending upon where cosplay fits as part of that "performance" statement in the City of Boston Order, there would also likely require a need for a similar cosplay mask check policy or a requirement of no head coverings for all cosplay that interfere with a clear & visible standard mask. Another option - the convention purchases & distributes their defined & acceptable face mask to attendees prior to entry & disqualify all other head covering / masks for a standard.

Lacking this, I would clearly expect an absolute need of several dozen/hundred agents at each entry point to the convention center & a guaranteed bottlenecking / linecon to be inevitable. I would hope planning is already being done on where to que the thousands of attendees as the mall entrance, potential side entrances & Prudential Mall were barely adequate for controllable space pre-pandemic.
rolypolyloli wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:18 pm

Based upon the actual AB Policy - if I was an individual at risk below the standard immune capacity, I would avoid these type of public gatherings as they are not infection-free, just hysteria-reduced to provide a version of public calm. Covid is never going away - it will remain in the environment similar to the Spanish Flu that always comes back each Fall/Winter.
waynoinsano wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:42 pm Speaking from experience. I volunteered at RI Comiccon last Nov. Their policy was mandatory mask. Loosely followed maybe 1/3 wore them, we were informed not to confront guest and leave that to center staff and the police on duty, actually police and convention center staff were the worst offenders, There was no vaccine mandate though. The attendance is similar to AB in a MUCH smaller venue foot traffic is almost shoulder to shoulder everywhere.
So after all that most mask less, optional vaccine, and tightly packed the positivity rate saw not spike afterwards.

At this point everyone wants to get the vaccine has got it. To me just seems like overkill to bar people who either don't want it or can't get it. With the Bruins/Celtic lifting their mandate AB will pretty much be the last venue to have it in place 3 months after everyone else lifts theirs.
I attended TFCon 2021 in Baltimore this past October 22-24. They had an increased staffing presence & barely were able to maintain the mask behavior inside the Baltimore Hilton. I would expect any event to scale will have similar issues of enforcement, sort of negating any hope of perceived insurance liability coverage.

I would consider AB a success if they can achieve a similar 1/3 compliance in an anticipated warm/hot weather condition. Did the con operators have replacement masks available in event of breakage/failure during use?
Kashimalin wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:08 am We are three months out from the convention. They most likely wanted to give people ample notice so they can decide if they want to book a ticket/keep their ticket, or if they need a refund due to the vaccination mandate. (Can you imagine if they posted this like, a month out?) They're doing their best to keep us informed and you can always buy a ticket right before the con in mid-May. Staff will definitely have the policy ironed out by then, and you can decide if the policies align with what you need to comfortably and happily attend the convention!!
Just to clarify - many staff have previously stated that registration badges are non-refundable over the years. I would imagine that remains in effect regardless of policy changes. If that was to change, they would likely have included that in this posting.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Kalyoth wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:47 am
Kashimalin wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:08 am We are three months out from the convention. They most likely wanted to give people ample notice so they can decide if they want to book a ticket/keep their ticket, or if they need a refund due to the vaccination mandate. (Can you imagine if they posted this like, a month out?) They're doing their best to keep us informed and you can always buy a ticket right before the con in mid-May. Staff will definitely have the policy ironed out by then, and you can decide if the policies align with what you need to comfortably and happily attend the convention!!
Just to clarify - many staff have previously stated that registration badges are non-refundable over the years. I would imagine that remains in effect regardless of policy changes. If that was to change, they would likely have included that in this posting.
They offered refunds the past few years since things weren't normal many opted to hold onto theirs for the next AB. But are now claiming they won't refund this year due to it being a "normal" year. well with these policies and a mandatory vaccine that didn't exist 3 years ago when many purchased their tickets at AB 19 I don't see how you can consider this a normal year and they should extend their refund policy to this year too. They did it when they hoped to be able to have the con in 21 they allow refunds for people that were unsure of coming with the at the time covid policies and situation. If we are still worried about masks and vaccines then this isn't a normal year.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

waynoinsano wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:54 am They offered refunds the past few years since things weren't normal many opted to hold onto theirs for the next AB. But are now claiming they won't refund this year due to it being a "normal" year. well with these policies and a mandatory vaccine that didn't exist 3 years ago when many purchased their tickets at AB 19 I don't see how you can consider this a normal year and they should extend their refund policy to this year too. They did it when they hoped to be able to have the con in 21 they allow refunds for people that were unsure of coming with the at the time covid policies and situation. If we are still worried about masks and vaccines then this isn't a normal year.
Since vaccines are associated with a Pandemic, one would think if a Pandemic is declared over, that level of public demand of private information should be over at that point as well. It will be difficult continuing to have the public accept domestic/local travel is equivalent to exotic, international travel with unique regional contagions that required a vaccination to return from. To be determined over coming decade.

The refunds I have seen offered or personally inquired upon recently were in response to event cancellations backed by insurance considerations. Publicly, they have attached limited windows on how to address those funds before rolling them into the next convention cycle. I am sure they will likely direct anyone with a concern to the Registration question box to be addressed privately.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Honestly I'll be very surprised if AB keeps these specific guidelines by opening day. I doubt Boston will have an indoor mask mandate come end of May, but we'll see!
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Kalyoth wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:53 am

The refunds I have seen offered or personally inquired upon recently were in response to event cancellations backed by insurance considerations. Publicly, they have attached limited windows on how to address those funds before rolling them into the next convention cycle. I am sure they will likely direct anyone with a concern to the Registration question box to be addressed privately.
I've seen people ask about this year and staff had stated that "This year's con is considered a normal year and registrations are non-refundable". Basically telling anyone who rolled over and has a valid reason they can't get the vaccine, major allergic reactions etc, they are SOL. Which is why I said having new mandatory requirements instituted after the time of purchase doesn't seem like a "normal" year.
compressedbread wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:27 pm Honestly I'll be very surprised if AB keeps these specific guidelines by opening day. I doubt Boston will have an indoor mask mandate come end of May, but we'll see!
The main post stated that these are the "finalized" policies which sounds like there will be no change. They are free to loosen them up at anytime but their wording sounds like they don't plan to. Which means by the time the end of may comes around AB's policies will be 3 months behind every other major venue pretty much everywhere. Even NY which had the most strict restrictions since the beginning have eased theirs more than AB at this year with the allowance of non-vaccinated to take a pcr test within 72 hours of events.
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

I'm most concerned with two things with this policy: Use of masks and having to carry vaccination cards. Insofar as the use of masks goes, this evening the City of Boston declared that the local indoor mask mandate will end this Saturday, 3/5/2022, with certain exceptions (schools, public transportation and healthcare facilities chief among them), so I wonder how the policy requirements will reflect this, if at all.

More concerning to me is having to carry the original CDC vaccination card everywhere with you. I'm concerned with this because of the heightened risk of losing the card somewhere, and not being able to retrieve it later, and at a con like AB in a big place like the Hynes, that is a risk I don't want to have to subject myself to. I have both a photocopy of my own card printed up, as well as an image of it in my cellphone photos library; both have been accepted in other places where the card was required, but for neither to be acceptable at AB contributes to the risk of losing the original card IMHO. Surely there must be a better way for this to be done; perhaps there is still time to implement a better system of identification. In any event, it's an issue that I think needs to be addressed, and should be before the con.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

can we maybe get some kind of "proof of vaccination shown" sticker on our badges?
So I can just bring my card on badge pick-up, get my sticker and not worry about it rest of weekend
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

annaneko wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 am can we maybe get some kind of "proof of vaccination shown" sticker on our badges?
So I can just bring my card on badge pick-up, get my sticker and not worry about it rest of weekend
We use that at work at Amazon. However, with so much concern with knock-off or fake badges, I would not be surprised if the answer would be a no - even though it could be designed right into the holographic sticker, to be placed on the badge by designated Registration or AB Staff - I would venture AB wants to play no part in the verification process of vaccinations for liability reasons & will defer solely to the actual personnel in place at the Hynes....meaning the line-convention version 2.0, that I mentioned likely to happen, continues it's preparations...

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Ok, there’s a lot to unpack here so let's take it one step at a time. There seems to be a lot of misinformation circulating around this topic, especially as it relates to Anime Boston and the city/state/CDC guidelines.

Firstly and most importantly, I’d like to ask the community to please refrain from conjecture. Anything we have to say will be said. If you have questions, please ask us and we will answer. However, conjecture only leads to rumors and issues in communication. We are being especially careful in announcing these policies for a reason. This is not the last update we have on our COVID policy.

Second, at the time of this writing, we do not foresee these policies changing drastically by the time Anime Boston rolls around. Cases may be down at the moment, but the pandemic is not over yet. Anime Boston is still 3 months ahead and there is still time for the world to change completely. We must remain vigilant. In order to plan an event for what is typically 25k+ people, there needs to be stability in the guidelines so that no one is surprised by them. We gave this warning back in October. Anime Boston leadership has decided this is the best path forward for safety and logistical planning. We’ve seen in recent times how the government mandates can change on a whim. This can still be true 3 months from now. We cannot plan around that possibility.

Third, we are aware of the CDC regulations being more lenient as of late, especially in regards to school, but again, see the second point. We are not a school. We are a large event that typically hosts 25k+ people through one weekend. This isn’t just about what attendees find to be reasonable but we also must consider the needs of guests and more importantly, our staff. These are not easy measures to take and we realize it will have an impact, however, these are the steps that need to be taken in order to safely hold our event. With this policy firmly in place, we can now also finalize our guest list in earnest, something that has been on everyone’s mind.

The rest of the commentary really needs to be addressed as a group. Let's tackle some of the talking points brought up from this forum thread and how the requirements we’ve made are still consistent with CDC recommendations.
Claim: Masks are ineffective, CDC dropped their mask recommendations, anything less than N95 is worthless, etc.
False. Here is what the CDC has to say on masks. Please note their first two key messages

• Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.

• To protect yourself and others from COVID-19, CDC continues to recommend that you wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently.

Claim: COVID policies such as these are not impactful on the spread.
False. Our good friends at AnimeNYC have already gone through this and the CDC recently released this report. The study directly cites that the vaccine and mask policies are directly responsible for preventing transmission and spread despite the presence of the newer and highly transmissible Omicron variant.

Anime Boston fully realizes that preventing a virus from infiltrating the event is nigh impossible but that does not mean we do nothing as a solution. There is an inherent risk to attending any large event such as ours and that is up to the individual to choose. Testing 2 or 3 days before the start of the convention does not cover the period of when the test was taken to the individual’s arrival. A person can be easily infected and enter with a test giving clearance. It is certainly good knowledge and we recommend people to get tested before and after the show. I personally plan to. That being said, we are not requiring it at this time. To be clear, our goal is to mitigate the spread instead as that is something that has been consistently proven to work. As a result we are, unfortunately, unable to safely accommodate individuals with a real medical exemption. This was something that was addressed in the city of Boston’s mandate when it was in effect. As stated in our COVID policy, if you find that this policy causes a conflict with an already purchased badge, please contact our registration customer service.

On a final note, it was very clear to me throughout this time and the rest of the board that attendees were increasingly frustrated with how fluid the situation was and with how close we’re getting to the convention dates. Will AB do this or that? The board has tried to remain flexible and hold out as long as possible but that anxiety and frustration was also exhibited between us. Will we do this or that? How long can we wait until we decide? As a volunteer organization, we frankly do not have the luxury of time when it comes to event planning and we needed a strategy with or without state/city requirements in order to move forward. We are three months away from holding the event and we can no longer hold out on seeing where the wind may blow. With this, people know exactly where we stand on this issue and can make the choices they feel they need to make. We have no plans to pull the rug from the individuals who have purchased their memberships due to them deciding that these risk management measures were sufficient for them to attend.

In full transparency, we had drafted this policy and it was set to be released in December. However, at the same time the policy was put to a vote, the city announced it’s mandates effective January. This put everything on hold as we tried to coordinate with our two major facilities on what that would look like. Are there multiple checks as you enter each building? Do we even have a say in how the checking procedure looks like? We finally had our footing towards the end of January except now the city dropped their mandates and it’s back to square one. This was all within one month. We do not seek to repeat this process should they be brought back or dropped a second time. This is it.
Kanechan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:39 pm More concerning to me is having to carry the original CDC vaccination card everywhere with you. I'm concerned with this because of the heightened risk of losing the card somewhere, and not being able to retrieve it later, and at a con like AB in a big place like the Hynes, that is a risk
annaneko wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:08 am can we maybe get some kind of "proof of vaccination shown" sticker on our badges?
At present, we are still in discussion and have not finalized neither the process on what we would accept for proof of vaccination beyond the obvious physical card, nor the logistics beyond that. That will come in a second update. Please be assured we are looking at this topic with the same concerns in mind.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Thanks Nemra ^^ Here is to hoping that both the City of Boston & AB keep moving towards treating the event more like the sports venue's moving forward, closer to May. If they can do it, we certainly can mimic ^^

reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Nemra wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:29 pm In order to plan an event for what is typically 25k+ people, there needs to be stability in the guidelines so that no one is surprised by them.
tell that to the TD garden, who host 20k people per night (not including staff), multiple nights per week all year round. unlike anime boston, they have dropped the scare tactics and accepted the recommendation of the medical experts at the CDC. funny how they were able to tell people mere days before an event that they were eliminating their requirements due to the city no longer mandating them.

AB's take on this has been a complete and utter disgrace, and they should be ashamed of the excuses being spewed. you're putting 200+ people in a small to medium sized room sitting shoulder to shoulder for an hour at a time. stop pretending you're worried about the spread of covid. you're worried about looking like you're doing something, even if it's purely security theater. if you actually cared, you wouldn't be reducing the number of entrances to the con, meaning people are standing grouped together in line for longer periods of time to get in.

the draconian measures that you are pushing are completely unreasonable. at a time when everyone is getting back to a normal way of life (after all, lets not forget AB claims this is a normal convention year) from schools, to concert/sports venues, to the state of the union address the other night, AB continues fear mongering while trying to hide behind mandates and recommendations that don't exist.

holding AB attendees to a different standard than literally every other large venue in the country is an absurd expectation. the situation has changed, and doubling down on old, obsolete information is unacceptable. the science is clear, and AB should stop being anti-science.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

The only comment I will make here is that I am being egregiously misquoted because the context in which that referenced comment was made is being ignored. That is my mistake for not being clear there but I will make it abundantly clear here.

When refund periods were first brought up in the October update, here was my response

In that same thread, it was brought up again and again I responded with the same response, worded differently. The "normal" in this context is the fact that the convention is being held and not cancelled like the previous two.

To reiterate here and make abundantly clear, refunds in 2020 and 2021 were allowed because the shows were canceled, not because COVID existed. The refund time period was one and a half months after the announcement of cancellation for that given con year, not before.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Assuming that these policies are in place exactly as written here by convention weekend, I actually have quite a few concerns programming-wise about how AB is going to manage this.

In regards to on-stage events - such as the Cosplay Death Match, Cosplay Chess, the Masquerade and Idol Showcase - will performers on stage be required to have face coverings on during the performance?

Will masks be required to be worn by all participants of the Lip Sync Battle during their on-stage performances? Will cheering/shouting be allowed by the audience this year?

How will Karaoke programming be handled this year, taken that it's assumed so far that masks will be required during convention events?

Forgive me if I missed any part of this announcement that answered these questions.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Another concern I forgot to include in my previous post, craftsmanship judging. Will judges be allowed to approach cosplayers and examine their cosplays up close, or will there be social distancing during craftsmanship judging? How will judges be able to accurately judge costumes this way?
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

compressedbread wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:19 pm Forgive me if I missed any part of this announcement that answered these questions.
No worries, you didn't miss it! We purposefully did not include programming events in these policies as those are a separate beast altogether. These are the baseline requirements for entering Anime Boston, not the guidelines for anything else. Adding unnecessary details that don't apply to most will only confuse people.

Keep in mind, we haven't figured everything out yet. One step at a time. Right now we're dedicating most of our efforts on solidifying the base guideline requirements and logistics for entering AB2022.
In regards to on-stage events - such as the Cosplay Death Match, Cosplay Chess, the Masquerade and Idol Showcase - will performers on stage be required to have face coverings on during the performance?
Depends on the event. I can't make a blanket statement because each event is different from the other. The best response on what each event is planning to do is to contact their respective coordinators directly using the contact form on our website.
Will masks be required to be worn by all participants of the Lip Sync Battle during their on-stage performances? Will cheering/shouting be allowed by the audience this year?
Please contact the cosplay games coordinator to see what their plans are for the event. As for the question about the audience, everyone should be wearing masks at all times per the COVID policy so I don't see why there would be a limitation on cheering for any event.
How will Karaoke programming be handled this year, taken that it's assumed so far that masks will be required during convention events?
I know the COVID measures for this one are still being discussed so they might not have an answer for you at this time, but you can reach out to them here. I realize that the lack of tone through text makes that response sound a little cryptic so I do also want to say that Karaoke is still an event that is on the schedule :)
craftsmanship judging.
Your best bet is to contact the Masquerade Coordinator. Our only current requirements as a convention are vaccine and masks only.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I just want to clarify that AB has N O intention on dropping the masking and vaccine requirements before the event, am I correct in this? I’m mostly asking for planning purposes but also because I want to go, but have a hard time with long term masking.
If the masks are required at all times, I’ll have to take frequent breaks and don’t want to have to keep stepping outside to do so because let’s face it, even on a good year the lines to return back to the con are not always the greatest.
What I’m asking here is will there be areas inside the con where we can take masks breaks without being yelled at for it?
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

MomoMiraculous wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:27 pm Not to beat a dead horse here, but I just want to clarify that AB has N O intention on dropping the masking and vaccine requirements before the event, am I correct in this?
correct
What I’m asking here is will there be areas inside the con where we can take masks breaks without being yelled at for it?
We do not plan on having mask free areas. The only time a face covering will be allowed to be taken off is during a time where the individual is eating or drinking.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

OK that’s fine. I’m just asking so I can prepare ahead of time as I said. Thanks for the clarification.

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

MomoMiraculous wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:44 am OK that’s fine. I’m just asking so I can prepare ahead of time as I said. Thanks for the clarification.
No worries! I actually forgot to also mention an important side note on entrances that are often overlooked. There are a total of three entrances in and out of the Hynes convention center.
image_2022-03-06_100721.png
image_2022-03-06_100721.png (111.54 KiB) Viewed 12792 times

A) This is the Prudential center entrance that is well known and the most often used.

B) Dalton St entrance is right across the street from the Hilton Hotel.

C) Boylston St Entrance is another overlooked entrance. You can get here two ways. The easiest way is from the Prudential mall exit on the same street by the Eataly. Take a left when you exit and the entrance is almost immediate.

The second way is by exiting through the Sheraton's main entrance, and taking a right on the street. You'll be passing by the Dalton St entrance (B) on the way but as you can see, its right around the corner from there.

We've been monitoring the lines quite frequently since 2016 and, while the Prudential entrance (A) is often in the 15 min wait time, the Dalton and Boylston St entrances (B & C) are practically non existent.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Nemra wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:13 am We've been monitoring the lines quite frequently since 2016 and, while the Prudential entrance (A) is often in the 15 min wait time, the Dalton and Boylston St entrances (B & C) are practically non existent.
except this isn't 2016, the policies aren't the same.

when animenyc implemented the draconian policies that AB is planning (animeNYC had city mandates to comply with, AB does not) it resulted in lines that were 2-4 hours long.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/anime/cold ... cs-return/

you spewed some crocodile tears about how dropping these irrational policies "wouldn't be fair to the people who registered after they were announced", but what about the people who registered back in 2019/2020? you know, the people you guys begged to roll over their membership because AB desperately needed the money?

also, if you genuinely were concerned about what AB attendees thought, you'd be emailing out a poll to all registered attendees (or on twitter, or on facebook) that says "In light of the newest CDC guidelines and the end of City of Boston mandates, AB is asking attendees for their position if AB should make any measures above Boston rules and regulations optional" rather than assuming everyone supports this fearmongering nonsense. it's very telling that AB has made zero effort to see what the attendees position on this is. you don't care what the city says, you don't care what the attendees says, you just care that you get to force your own views on people.

the fact of the matter is that AB very clearly has very little respect for their attendees and believe that adults aren't capable of making their own decisions about their health and well being.
coffeecake
Veteran Poster

Post by coffeecake »

reaper527 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:01 pm
Nemra wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:13 am We've been monitoring the lines quite frequently since 2016 and, while the Prudential entrance (A) is often in the 15 min wait time, the Dalton and Boylston St entrances (B & C) are practically non existent.
except this isn't 2016, the policies aren't the same.

when animenyc implemented the draconian policies that AB is planning (animeNYC had city mandates to comply with, AB does not) it resulted in lines that were 2-4 hours long.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/anime/cold ... cs-return/

you spewed some crocodile tears about how dropping these irrational policies "wouldn't be fair to the people who registered after they were announced", but what about the people who registered back in 2019/2020? you know, the people you guys begged to roll over their membership because AB desperately needed the money?

also, if you genuinely were concerned about what AB attendees thought, you'd be emailing out a poll to all registered attendees (or on twitter, or on facebook) that says "In light of the newest CDC guidelines and the end of City of Boston mandates, AB is asking attendees for their position if AB should make any measures above Boston rules and regulations optional" rather than assuming everyone supports this fearmongering nonsense. it's very telling that AB has made zero effort to see what the attendees position on this is. you don't care what the city says, you don't care what the attendees says, you just care that you get to force your own views on people.

the fact of the matter is that AB very clearly has very little respect for their attendees and believe that adults aren't capable of making their own decisions about their health and well being.
I think your concerns are better left being DM'd to staff directly.
If you think the way guidelines and information are being handled by AB staff is so abysmal then you don't have to go. But don't get so haughty about it, everyone is doing the best they can with what they have going forward and your attitude helps no one.
Anime Boston 2024:
Forest Minish (Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap)
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

coffeecake wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:22 pm everyone is doing the best they can with what they have going forward and your attitude helps no one.
clearly it's not true that "everyone is doing the best they can", because AB's decision makers very clearly aren't. they're making lazy copout decisions.

if vocalizing displeasure and putting the spotlight on how poorly AB is handling this situation results in them ACTUALLY asking the community what we think about their policies, that helps everyone.

for an example of something that helps no one, that would be AB's "we don't care what the city of boston says or CDC recommends, we'll say things are subject to change but intend to change nothing even though the situation very clearly is different now" position.

when the city of boston and CDC updated their policies, the agganis arena didn't tell those of us with AEW tickets for april "it wouldn't be fair to those who already bought tickets under the old guidelines if we dropped our requirements",the venue dropped the nonsense with 4 days of notice.

https://twitter.com/AgganisArena/status ... 2394787843

same for the 25k+ people per night with celtics/bruins tickets at the td garden.

https://twitter.com/tdgarden/status/1499160820088987648
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

reaper527 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:36 pm
when the city of boston and CDC updated their policies, the agganis arena didn't tell those of us with AEW tickets for april "it wouldn't be fair to those who already bought tickets under the old guidelines if we dropped our requirements",the venue dropped the nonsense with 4 days of notice.

https://twitter.com/AgganisArena/status ... 2394787843

same for the 25k+ people per night with celtics/bruins tickets at the td garden.

https://twitter.com/tdgarden/status/1499160820088987648
As one in a position of hope towards a review & significant update to these rules, I also do not expect one to occur. Private business is still at the mercy of the insurance industry. After the event being cancelled twice, and more across the country also, there is tremendous financial pressure, some label this behavior reverse blackmail, on all events to meet the requirements of the insurance industry in order to perform or be denied the ability to occur. Only one difference between the sports venue's & the convention center in use - one is a very wide open meeting space of a single room & the other is a confined series of smaller, individual rooms, all wrapped together. With that in mind, it is sad that they can't be considered the same or similar for regulation.

In the end, regardless of the attendee's personal feelings towards the policies, each of us as attendees has to make our own determination if our time & enjoyment are best served by submitting ourselves to the regulations & accepting how that changes the execution of the event (I still fully believe we are guaranteed a Line-Con - just a matter of how bad it will be). The only method an attendee has to enact change upon a private organization, is to opt out of attendance & not spend money. I am curious to see how the public will respond to the event's regulations, where said guidelines are likely to have a direct impact upon certain classes of attendees more than others, as is the designed intention - think of kids on the other side of the big glass windows wanting in & can't, because they are different.

I am also curious as to the extent all events with similar regulations on them will experience attendance outside the locality of the event. Society is not yet back to a sense of normalcy & that new normal is still being shaped daily. Covid is permanent & will be seasonal like the flu & cold season. Some form of policy will likely always be there as well as a result, because AB is currently fixed as a Late Winter/Spring event vs. the summer season where the larger cons occur & have less of a issue facing the brunt.

What I am curious as to why it's not being discussed yet openly, would be what the Sheraton is also doing since it is also owned in the same block as the convention center & would be subject to the same regulations as a meeting space. If it is behaving different than the Hynes, I would find cause to worry more...

BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

I'm personally in full support of most of the policies that Anime Boston wants to pursue, taken the circumstances. Things are fluid and the tides of the pandemic do change.

However, from the information I've gathered from coordinators, masks are required to be worn during all Cosplay Games and Masquerade performances. I have a few personal issues with this, especially taken most performers are on stage (in the case of the Masquerade especially) and socially distanced, on top of being vaccinated. I don't personally see a problem with someone who is separated from others by a distance being able to remove their mask, but this is just me, and I won't knock AB for it.

What I do have a problem with is how Anime Boston is handling transparency of this change. Nowhere in the Masquerade guidelines or rules is it stated that masks must be worn by the performers at all times. It's not stated anywhere in the Cosplay Games page, either. There's no transparency on how this impacts craftsmanship judging. Having to wear a face covering can seriously impact many performances that competitors have planned, and it isn't announced or stated anywhere that this is the case.

Masquerade and Cosplay Games applications are open, and submissions are - I assume - coming in. How many of these Masquerade applications involve singing or dancing? How many Idol Showcase performers aren't prepared for this change because they weren't informed of it? What about Lip Sync Battle?

I understand, "our COVID guidelines are outlined on our website", but taken the state of the city mandate, what's been taught to different people as "safe" and how other conventions have handled it, transparency doesn't hurt. It's very easy for someone to assume that a socially distanced cosplay performance may be exempt from the mask mandate, or that a Lip Sync Battle contest may not require masks, taken the nature of the contest.

We know that these policies are "subject to change" or can change at any time, but as of right now these are the rules and I personally believe that it's very important to outline these policy changes in the Masquerade Rules and Cosplay Games Guidelines. A simple "MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES, INCLUDING PERFORMANCES" is all it takes to ease confusion.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

compressedbread wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:35 pm However, from the information I've gathered from coordinators, masks are required to be worn during all Cosplay Games and Masquerade performances.
Please message me on who you've been in contact with since that is actually not true. There are very few exceptions to this and you may have contacted someone who is not part of that exception.
A simple "MASKS MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES, INCLUDING PERFORMANCES" is all it takes to ease confusion.
Yes, that is what masks must be worn at all times means. The convention rules generally apply to everything. There are exceptions to this rule and the individuals to who it will apply to will know. Every event is going to be different with different needs, therefore, we are looking at every event and every skit within it on a case by case basis.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Please message me on who you've been in contact with since that is actually not true. There are very few exceptions to this and you may have contacted someone who is not part of that exception.
I contacted the individuals you directed me to contact. If there are exceptions to these rules I'd appreciate those exceptions being publicly transparent.
Yes, that is what masks must be worn at all times means. The convention rules generally apply to everything. There are exceptions to this rule and the individuals to who it will apply to will know. Every event is going to be different with different needs, therefore, we are looking at every event and every skit within it on a case by case basis.
But according to you, "masks must be worn at all times" has exceptions. Individuals who will apply to these exceptions must know if they apply to them, and so far I haven't seen any exceptions outlined anywhere. If the masquerade and cosplay games performers are exempt, please confirm this for me now. Please forgive me, I don't mean to come off as rude or angry in my responses, I just really need clarification.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Kalyoth wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm What I am curious as to why it's not being discussed yet openly, would be what the Sheraton is also doing since it is also owned in the same block as the convention center & would be subject to the same regulations as a meeting space. If it is behaving different than the Hynes, I would find cause to worry more...
as far as i can tell, there's nothing on their website about it:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/b ... /overview/

if it's there, it's REALLY buried.

for what it's worth though, sheraton boston (not really boston) in needham explicitly states that it's option "unless required by local law".

https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/bossi

furthermore, following that up to the more national level, the marriot (parent company of sheraton) page has the same policy listed

https://clean.marriott.com/

specifically
For the U.S. - fully vaccinated guests are no longer required to wear face coverings or social distance in indoor or outdoor areas of the hotel, unless required by local law. We ask that unvaccinated guests and associates continue to wear face coverings and practice social distancing when they are in public spaces inside the hotel. All Associates working in HIGH CDC-designated Community Level transmission areas are required to wear face coverings when indoors.
someone else can verify, but it looks very likely that the sheraton as a chain is NOT participating in the nonsense, and is instead using a simple "we comply with local regulations and follow CDC guidelines". again, just a case of AB being out of touch with the rest of the country.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

compressedbread wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:03 pm
I contacted the individuals you directed me to contact. If there are exceptions to these rules I'd appreciate those exceptions being publicly transparent.
Someone from cosplay games reached out to me and we found the source of the miscommunication. Sorry about that. It seems some things didn't quite reach people as it should have but that should be fixed now. They should be re-contacting with some clarifications soon.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Jeez this whole ordeal is a mess. I have one more clarification. I believe I read that there’s no medical exemptions from wearing masks, correct?
Also I’m staying at the Hilton so you’re saying that the Dalton Street entrance is right across the street and I believe I know where it is but I’ve never used it before. Is it only an entrance or can you exit through there as well?

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

MomoMiraculous wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:41 pm I believe I read that there’s no medical exemptions from wearing masks, correct?
correct
Also I’m staying at the Hilton so you’re saying that the Dalton Street entrance is right across the street and I believe I know where it is but I’ve never used it before. Is it only an entrance or can you exit through there as well?
My memory failed me here because its been a few years, but it's about a 30 second walk down the street. Here's a google street view map. The shut double doors by the bus is the Dalton St entrance. You may enter and exit through them. If you look to the right, you can see the Hilton and the Sheraton main entrances.

Now, one important note is that the Dalton St entrance is not open as long as the other two because they're emergency exits but I'll check to see what the hours are since the ones currently posted are likely out of date. The hours listed currently are 9am to 3pm but I'll double check and see if anything has changed with the hours for that and get back to you.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Someone from cosplay games reached out to me and we found the source of the miscommunication. Sorry about that. It seems some things didn't quite reach people as it should have but that should be fixed now. They should be re-contacting with some clarifications soon.
Thank you! I would appreciate if we could receive an update once these clarifications are made.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
damandav
Getting the hang of this...

Post by damandav »

Would it be possible to have like stickers that can go on our convention badges to show our vaccine cards have been checked? Or will they be checked every time we enter
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

damandav wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:53 pm Would it be possible to have like stickers that can go on our convention badges to show our vaccine cards have been checked? Or will they be checked every time we enter
We don't have an answer to that yet. We are currently discussing and working on the enforcement logistics but we will update the page and announce it as soon as it is ready.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

stokage
Expert Poster

Post by stokage »

As a longtime attendee and supporter:

Guidelines can set to whatever all parties demand down the chain, i.e. Federal. State, Municipal, Venue, and Event. All, including AB, have the right to enforce policies, whether any agree or disagree with them. I feel that should be made clear.

However, the standard refund policy is not satisfactory for 2020 pre-reg that have remained.

Those of us in such a situation should not be subject to the "standard" refund policy, because the convention is not currently under the same "standard" guidelines as when the registrations and monies were paid. Yes, 2020 and 2021 had refund options, but if we trusted our money in AB through 2020 AND 2021 as a gesture of goodwill (and hopes to avoid AB just dissolving forever in this mess), AB should be amenable and fluid. I am certain the vast majority of guests and dealers would understand, as everyone has been forced to be fluid throughout the last couple of years as it is.

If this is indeed a possibly negotiable situation with a customer service contact, I would find that an acceptable compromise option. Reading above, though, it doesn't sound like it is - clarification on this would be appreciated.

S

Disclaimer: My only real dealbreaker with attending per the "current" stated guidelines is the requirement of a shot. I voluntarily did so last year, as a healthy individual, and had an unexplained major reaction. I'm not going through that again. But even if a shot wasn't required and I attend, I would still support an option for multi-year pre-reg customers to be refunded if they disagree with any of the set guidelines as, in all fairness, they are vastly different.
AB 2012: S-Kogure Kiminobu (Slam Dunk)
AB 2013: F-Harima Kenji (School Rumble), S-Tuxedo Mask
AB 2014: F-Harima Kenji, S-Chinese Dragon, Tuxedo Mask
AB 2015: S-Jin (Samurai Champloo)
AB 2016: F-Jin, S-Yu Narukami
AB 2017: S-Jin
AB 2018: F-Tuxedo Mask, S-Yu Narukami, Su-Jin
AB 2019: F-Clark Kent, S-Tuxedo Mask, Su-Jin
AB 2020: Cancelled
AB 2021: Cancelled
AB 2022: AB Boycott due to shot requirement
AB 2023: Same as above
AB 2024: Maybe (IF shot requirement is rescinded)
wateriestfire
I'm new!

Post by wateriestfire »

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you had gotten your vaccine in the state of Massachusetts you can go to this webpage and print out your official vaccination status.

https://myvaxrecords.mass.gov/

if you live in Rhode Island you can also go here to find your vaccination records.

https://covid.ri.gov/vaccination

I don't know about any of the other states

Will AB be accepting these? they are official from the state. It would make it a lot easier to implement because you can get it on your phone and don't need to worry about a physical card.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

stokage wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 pm As a longtime attendee and supporter:

Guidelines can set to whatever all parties demand down the chain, i.e. Federal. State, Municipal, Venue, and Event. All, including AB, have the right to enforce policies, whether any agree or disagree with them. I feel that should be made clear.

However, the standard refund policy is not satisfactory for 2020 pre-reg that have remained.
Not Staff - They usually direct everyone with concerns to the contact form on the main page for the appropriate department. Where each concern is individual & of concern to the public image of an organization, you will not see discussions occur wide open for all to see for the parties involved privacy reasons.

Just an FYI - Registration did address my concerns timely & satisfactorily. Been the best department so far for communication in regards to the 2022 convention.
wateriestfire wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:51 pm Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you had gotten your vaccine in the state of Massachusetts you can go to this webpage and print out your official vaccination status.

https://myvaxrecords.mass.gov/

if you live in Rhode Island you can also go here to find your vaccination records.

https://covid.ri.gov/vaccination

I don't know about any of the other states

Will AB be accepting these? they are official from the state. It would make it a lot easier to implement because you can get it on your phone and don't need to worry about a physical card.
AB may wish to keep researching acceptable methods on vaccination verification as I am finding more of my friends & family have either lost or have excessively damaged cards making them questionable. On top of that, the cards are not significantly difficult to forge or knock off - as has been the case in the news over the past year with cases of counterfeiting. Will certainly be a time-intensive process for verification.

ULTI-mages
I'm new!

Post by ULTI-mages »

Hello, do you think now that the Boston mandate is gone the rules will change. I mean now you don't even need a mask in gyms. At the very least I think they need to reclarify their stance after the mandate ended and take it the mandate part out of the covid policy. It makes it look like their making a decion on old information and that things will change.
Last edited by ULTI-mages on Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

will AB staff/volunteers be properly trained on where they do/don't have the authority to enforce these draconian mandates?

given how out of touch with societal norms and the recommendations of medical experts AB's position is, it seems almost certain that AB will be the only ones in the building pushing these unwarranted measures. AB being out of step with literally everyone else could potentially lead to confusion, especially without adequate training.

it seems EVERY year there are forum posts after the con about how an overzealous staffer/volunteer overstepped their bounds with someone. while this is absolutely the exception and not the rule, the flip side is that this is the exception and not "something that doesn't happen".

logically one would assume that anyplace someone without a badge can go (aside from badge pickup) would be outside of AB's jurisdiction. of course, given these mandates being imposed, obviously logic doesn't dictate what AB believes so one shouldn't assume they have a rational stance on this.

examples of places that can be accessed without a badge would be that area of the pru in front of the hynes entrance (by the dunks), the sheraton lobby, the sheraton elevator area, and sheraton hallways (leaving the entirety of the hynes, and inside any sheraton panelrooms as badged areas)

so to reiterate, will AB be attempting to harass unmasked people in those non-AB areas that AB attendees routinely go?
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Kalyoth wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:00 am
stokage wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 pm As a longtime attendee and supporter:

Not Staff - They usually direct everyone with concerns to the contact form on the main page for the appropriate department. Where each concern is individual & of concern to the public image of an organization, you will not see discussions occur wide open for all to see for the parties involved privacy reasons.

Just an FYI - Registration did address my concerns timely & satisfactorily. Been the best department so far for communication in regards to the 2022 convention.
With such a giant admission change requiring vaccines they should make a front page announcement along with and email to all those who have pre-registered whether or not refunds are available to those who don't want or can't comply. The whole behind the curtain "email registration" just doesn't fly for this. AB took payment for badges before the the idea of Covid and its vaccine even existed. To not have it CLEARLY spelled out whether people with medical or religious exemptions can get refunded looks poorly on the AB organization and how they view their attendees. I wonder if they even consulted with a lawyer on the legality of adding a huge admission requirement without offer refunds. They are free to do what they want but the whole secrecy on the refund issue nees to stop.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

waynoinsano wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:08 pm With such a giant admission change requiring vaccines they should make a front page announcement along with and email to all those who have pre-registered whether or not refunds are available to those who don't want or can't comply. The whole behind the curtain "email registration" just doesn't fly for this. AB took payment for badges before the the idea of Covid and its vaccine even existed. To not have it CLEARLY spelled out whether people with medical or religious exemptions can get refunded looks poorly on the AB organization and how they view their attendees. I wonder if they even consulted with a lawyer on the legality of adding a huge admission requirement without offer refunds. They are free to do what they want but the whole secrecy on the refund issue nees to stop.
there's not really any secrecy, they are pretty blunt about the fact they don't care about the people who pre-reg'ed back in 2019 since those people are inconvenient for the excuses they're using to justify their position today.

AB's position on dealing with attendees who have legitimate complaints about how things are being handled can be summed up in one clip.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

reaper527 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:25 pm
there's not really any secrecy, they are pretty blunt about the fact they don't care about the people who pre-reg'ed back in 2019 since those people are inconvenient for the excuses they're using to justify their position today.

AB's position on dealing with attendees who have legitimate complaints about how things are being handled can be summed up in one clip.
That's why I asked if they consulted a lawyer. It seems like their no refund policy wouldn't hold up in a courtroom with their change in policy if someone was to pursue it. They just need to be fully transparent and not just direct those who actually ask to email them. If they don't follow Social media or the forums they are out of the loop and wouldn't know to ask which is why I said there should be a mass email to all those pre-registered.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

waynoinsano wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:47 pm
reaper527 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:25 pm

That's why I asked if they consulted a lawyer. It seems like their no refund policy wouldn't hold up in a courtroom with their change in policy if someone was to pursue it. They just need to be fully transparent and not just direct those who actually ask to email them. If they don't follow Social media or the forums they are out of the loop and wouldn't know to ask which is why I said there should be a mass email to all those pre-registered.
After the past 2 years & the insurance payouts, I would hope the process has been through legal - can't speak for AB as we all hope it's professionally done for us each year. But, in regards to the mass mailing - they have refused for over a decade to do just that because they have fully embraced social media, like many aspects of the western world & feel it's sufficient to meet the letter of the law for notification because it also is how the US Government, which is the standard, does it.

waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Who knows? Up until Massachusetts lifted their restrictions they had no say in the matter so legally they were covered now the are independently making the choices it's a whole different beast.