Status of Anime Boston 2021

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Status of Anime Boston 2021

Post by Nemra »

In March, Governor Charlie Baker announced a ban on all gatherings of 250 people or more in Massachusetts. Over the past several months, the state of Massachusetts has been enacting a phased re-opening. Based on this plan, Anime Boston would be part of a Phase 4 reopening. Massachusetts is currently in Phase 3. We are closely monitoring the Governor’s reopening plans. We anticipate that once Massachusetts reaches phase 4, the Governor will have a set of guidelines on how to proceed with reopening conventions. We are patiently waiting for these instructions.

Our executive board has decided that we will continue planning for the 2021 convention, scheduled April 2nd-4th, as normal until such time that we can no longer hold the event. A virtual Anime Boston experience is not planned at this time. However, we are organizing a one day virtual event in collaboration with the Japan Society of Boston to be held on Saturday, October 24th.

We’d also like to take a moment to thank all members who rolled over their memberships to 2021. We can not express how much it has helped us manage this new environment.

We hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy. We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Selestyl
Determined Poster

Re: Status of Anime Boston 2021

Post by Selestyl »

I'm holding all my hope in my heart that we'll all see each other in person very soon. 💕 thanks for everything you do to plan, staff, and for keeping us in the loop!
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

Even though I know I can't go in 2021 (because of work) I hope Anime Boston does happen.
*fingerscrossed*
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I have full faith in the staff to make it work, if allowed to. I feel there'd be more volunteers than normal now that more people see what life is like without AB to make it work.

I do wonder on how short notice guests and such could be gathered given the uncertainty.
Project: J-ko
Veteran Poster

Post by Project: J-ko »

*deep breath and fingers crossed* Let's do this.
"...I guess hopping ghosts are kind of like monsters, huh?"

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a knuckle sammich today!"
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:24 pm In March, Governor Charlie Baker announced a ban on all gatherings of 250 people or more in Massachusetts. Over the past several months, the state of Massachusetts has been enacting a phased re-opening. Based on this plan, Anime Boston would be part of a Phase 4 reopening. Massachusetts is currently in Phase 3. We are closely monitoring the Governor’s reopening plans. We anticipate that once Massachusetts reaches phase 4, the Governor will have a set of guidelines on how to proceed with reopening conventions. We are patiently waiting for these instructions.

Our executive board has decided that we will continue planning for the 2021 convention, scheduled April 2nd-4th, as normal until such time that we can no longer hold the event. A virtual Anime Boston experience is not planned at this time. However, we are organizing a one day virtual event in collaboration with the Japan Society of Boston to be held on Saturday, October 24th.

We’d also like to take a moment to thank all members who rolled over their memberships to 2021. We can not express how much it has helped us manage this new environment.

We hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy. We miss you and look forward to seeing you soon.
For those of us where employment in these challenging times has become dramatically changed & more difficult to arrange time off, are there plans to have a date where a decision to continue forward or make the hard call will be announced? Where the Flu season will still be in effect, the label of "essential worker" will come into effect for some of us. Just want to plan best as the convention does require six work shifts now for me personally to take off.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
SM1
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SM1 »

For those who want some additional clarity on what "phase 4" means in massachusetts:

Per repeated statements from the governor, phase 4 requires a "vaccine or medical breakthrough."

Strictly speaking, the governor has never qualified the statement to say "widely available" and so you might see phase 4 start soon after the approval of a vaccine or say a monoclonal antibody treatment. However it's hard to imagine a vaccine that isn't broadly available (e.g. prioritized to front line medical workers) being used as a pretense for a reopening. So unless a vaccine is approved very soon, there's a time crunch here in terms of the logistics.

I pray that this is the case as ending this pandemic one day, one cancelled con, etc. sooner would be great...
Kayube
Expert Poster

Post by Kayube »

Something I've been wondering about: when AB 2020 was cancelled, it was stated that the Hynes offered AB a date in December but they decided not to go with that because it would interfere with plans for 2021. If April 2021 ends up not happening, would it be possible for AB to go with December this time, just to get something in next year? Even if it requires the con to be moved permanently, I feel like after such a long wait it'd be worth it. Of course, that might require knowing that April is out sometime around this December so that the plans can be shifted.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Kayube wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:07 pm Something I've been wondering about: when AB 2020 was cancelled, it was stated that the Hynes offered AB a date in December but they decided not to go with that because it would interfere with plans for 2021. If April 2021 ends up not happening, would it be possible for AB to go with December this time, just to get something in next year? Even if it requires the con to be moved permanently, I feel like after such a long wait it'd be worth it. Of course, that might require knowing that April is out sometime around this December so that the plans can be shifted.
Not staff but working for large corporations, time change logistics can be very tricky - especially for volunteers as real life & time always are factors to availability. Especially to the major retailing holiday season. I would imagine they also potentially impact guest availability based upon their work schedules as well.

In regards to a vaccine, I fully interpret the Gov.'s order to mean a vaccine that the majority of the population has received & not just bamn we have it - proceed. Only he can clarify what he meant & all of us living in MA await that clarification. I would not be surprised if they modify the order to reflect some form of requirement of being vaccinated to attend the events being scheduled. The way things are increasing again, I would not be shocked if we still had travel restrictions outside of MA in some form in place as well. I say this with the history of the Biogen Conference in MA that was identified as an early super spreader event. Again, we shall have to see what comes from the Gov.'s or Legislatures' mouths.

Opens up a big question to AB organizers: Any idea if there will be consideration to a first time requirement of vaccination proof as part of the registration process?

Personal Opinion: I want a convention like all of us do. But, I'm starting to believe in 2022 at this point...
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

From what I've been reading about the vaccine timetable in terms of priorities and nationwide availability (and given that the vast majority of AB attendees will be at the end of the list based on their youth), I believe that 2021 will also be a scrub. Especially given that most of the in-work vaccines will require two shots, spaced weeks apart, and perhaps boosters after that. Frankly, I don't see myself (especially at my age) coming back to AB until 2022, assuming 2021 is even held.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
aresef
AB Staff

Post by aresef »

You’re seeing cons in 2021 already start to pack it in, Katsu being the latest. I really hope AB can get off.

But building off one of the other responses, I know I’m not expecting to return to my work’s premises until at least next spring. And I know that when the vaccine is ready to go, I won’t (and shouldn’t) be among the first to get it.

I have two worries, and they don’t just go for AB, they go for a lot of cons. What kind of attendance hit will cons like AB and Ota take either as a result of economic troubles or lasting skittishness among potential attendees? And how will measures still required by state and local government impact the con’s ability to offer what it promises to everyone who plans to attend? That last one is kind of broad since there’s so much that does remain unknowable.
Tyler Waldman
Press Liaison, AB 2022
Elsewhere: Exhibits staff at Zenkaikon 2022, crew at Anime NYC 2021, longtime Otakon gofer
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

aresef wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:03 am You’re seeing cons in 2021 already start to pack it in, Katsu being the latest. I really hope AB can get off.

But building off one of the other responses, I know I’m not expecting to return to my work’s premises until at least next spring. And I know that when the vaccine is ready to go, I won’t (and shouldn’t) be among the first to get it.

I have two worries, and they don’t just go for AB, they go for a lot of cons. What kind of attendance hit will cons like AB and Ota take either as a result of economic troubles or lasting skittishness among potential attendees? And how will measures still required by state and local government impact the con’s ability to offer what it promises to everyone who plans to attend? That last one is kind of broad since there’s so much that does remain unknowable.
Considering this is another permanent environmental virus like the seasonal flu, the permanent societal impacts won't be visible for 3-5 years. Basically, all large events are in a wait & see, hope for the best, prepare for the worst case scenario atm. I would not be shocked if conventions that do survive do not resume similar to their early year versions, under extreme regulation, of small size & attendance caps. Government tends to freak out in unpredictable ways. But, you can always count on it reacting based upon its political leanings. So, keep an eye on the state government & you will see how strict or friendly they will be to the return of conventions in each state. They will not be the revenue draws they formerly were for the states & local governments. I expect significant changes. What those changes result in are wait & see. But, it is yet another opportunity to reinvent an event for a new generation.

Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Pro tip: Keep an eye on Governor Baker's daily briefings once the vaccine comes out. This will be the primary way he shares rules and regulations for large scale events, and it will likely be the first time we're all hearing it when he does.
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
SM1

Post by SM1 »

For those who are interested, the governor has a YouTube channel (Mass Governor). It's worth following for the next few weeks.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I am going to be honest here and of course, this is what I believe, but I do not see any large functions happening prior to Summer 2021. Recovery is going to be extremely slow in all sectors and I just don't see the approval for large gathering before then unless it was outside.

For those unaware, I work at the Aquarium for the Events department and during Covid last year, we had a total of 2 events. The tent the events took place was a 50'x75' (3750 sq. ft) with a height of at least 20'. Even though it was outside, we were only permitted up to 50 people.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

My worry: because I know how divided before 2020 society was on vaccines & immunizations in general - keep looking for the phrasing from Gov. Baker on whether he will require proof of vaccine prior to attendance for large events. There is growing local belief that it will become a fixed requirement for anyone to attend k-12 & college once available. They also require something similar now for transit in & out of the state for testing. The vaccine becoming available merely ups the ante on requirements.

Let us all hope, even if the best of situations occur, the state is even interested in cleaning or maintaining the Hynes to allow events to occur. Aging buildings are not always the easiest to large scale industrial clean on a rapid or repeat basis for low cost. Hope they do not attempt to void or renegotiate contracts to loop these new costs in going forward. Can only imagine the cost matrices moving forward & hope they are reasonable enough to keep volunteering for & seeing AB run again in the future.

SM1

Post by SM1 »

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/when- ... 19-vaccine
^^
Official vaccine timeline, from the Massachusetts department of public health, in case anyone is interested in terms of making their plans for next year.

The timelines assume that both Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines get approved and distributed as expected. (If a 3rd vaccine were approved, it may accelerate the timeline.)
Lone_Wulf91
AB Staff

Post by Lone_Wulf91 »

Late to the post due to issues technical and personal. Hppe next year happens cause miss everyone and do need an escape to convention and see familar and new faces. Praying for 2021
Richard Rivera
Rick Rivera

Rich Rivera
Security Staff
Lone_Wulf91
AB Staff

Post by Lone_Wulf91 »

Late to the party. I miss the meeting and I am upset. But if what I read is true then I hope the convention is happening with whatever precautions need to be taken. Will make the next meeting for sure and glad that its a possibility for 2021 to occur.
Richard Rivera
Rick Rivera

Rich Rivera
Security Staff
InuMiroLover

Post by InuMiroLover »

I dunno, I think we may have to think about the very real possibility that AB 2021 may not happen this year either. Yes word of the vaccine is out, but it'll take a long time to get to everyone and I heavily doubt in 3 months large scale gatherings will be a thing again. (Here's hoping of course! But im not sure of how likely it will be.) Plus, AB has no word whatsoever on official hotels or registration, and how realistically are they going to be able to put together the convention in such a short time frame in the same quality we expect?

I dont want to be a downer and I still want some miracle to occur, but I think we may need to prepare ourselves for that possibility.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I agree, but the possibility for a delay, I don't think, is out of the question yet. AB is currently less than 3 months away. To plan for the con with less than three months until seems very unrealistic. I definitely doubt it will happen on the current scheduled date, but depending how far out it could potentially be pushed, it could be delayed.

I'm not staff. I don't know. But to have it early April, I can see the state and city putting a stop to it still. I think we'd need at least a sampling that the virus is lowering numbers before it would be seriously considered to still run this year.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
SM1

Post by SM1 »

It takes 31 days (Pfizer) or 38 days (Moderna) to have full protection from the date of your first shot, assuming you get the second shot on the exact date you're eligible.

So some people will be "fully vaccinated" by April 2 but not really close to everyone. It's a shame that the convention doesn't have a few weeks of flexibility as I suspect that will be a time period where loads of people will be getting shots. But, you can't move a convention like it's a birthday party.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

MA has released vaccine guidelines for the general population. Hopefully convention people are aware of them & are reviewing. General public are not scheduled to begin receiving access in MA until at least April 2021. That may be different in each state & country. But I also suspect these different schedules will also wreck havoc on planning etc. Awaiting more info as it's made available.

reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Sayoria wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:30 am I agree, but the possibility for a delay, I don't think, is out of the question yet.
worth mentioning, last year when staff announced the cancellation before anyone knew how long this mess would last, they were saying postponement isn't an option "due to the logistics of bringing in guests, securing the venue, and all the behind the scenes stuff".

given what they said a year ago, it seems pretty likely that they'll ultimately be telling us it goes on as scheduled, or it doesn't happen until 2022. (of course, i'm not staff and am just speculating based on what we've seen already)
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

reaper527 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm
Sayoria wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:30 am I agree, but the possibility for a delay, I don't think, is out of the question yet.
worth mentioning, last year when staff announced the cancellation before anyone knew how long this mess would last, they were saying postponement isn't an option "due to the logistics of bringing in guests, securing the venue, and all the behind the scenes stuff".

given what they said a year ago, it seems pretty likely that they'll ultimately be telling us it goes on as scheduled, or it doesn't happen until 2022. (of course, i'm not staff and am just speculating based on what we've seen already)
There is a very good chance they need to have the proper conditions met before any statement can be made. Having not announced information tends to not place legal hurdles or obligations for them to clear. The smart money also tends to mean international travel casually is a several year freeze for the wise traveler as there is no guarantee of the conditions at your destination. You would have many professionals heavily pressured by employers to not leave the country as a protection on their investment/sales product.

I suspect contractually it will be a repeat of last year due to the timing issues & this is more a see you in 2023 for international guests potentially based upon vaccinations & societal conditions. Remember, its government that needs to be willing to open up the Hynes to large gatherings. Until they feel they have no reason to keep doing that, expect conventions to be endangered/extinct species. Expect a more local style convention when they are allowed to start back up as caution & smaller scale to stabilize the entire convention apparatus may be what most decide upon. Once you see what Comicon becomes, you will know for sure what the industry chooses as it's model.