Changes for the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley in 2020

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
eevee
AB Staff

Changes for the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley in 2020

Post by eevee »

We are excited to announce new changes for the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley at Anime Boston 2020.

This year we will be relocating both the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley. The Dealers' Room will be moved to the second floor of the Hynes Convention Center, in Exhibit Halls C and D. Over the years we've received numerous inquiries from our vendors to have larger booth configurations and hanging signage. Unfortunately we were unable to accommodate these requests due to the column placements and low ceilings of Exhibit Halls A and B. Placing the Dealers' Room in Exhibit Halls C and D will allow these options for our larger vendors.

The Artists' Alley is being relocated to the first floor of the Hynes, in Exhibit Hall A. Exhibit Hall A has more square feet than Exhibit Hall C and will allow for a few more booths within the Artists' Alley. It will also have wider aisles than it did in Hall C, to help ease the flow of foot traffic.

Additionally, Exhibit Hall B on the Hynes' first floor will become our new Entertainment Hall. It will have dedicated space for Guest Autograph tables, Live Gaming, cosplay photo shoot areas, and more. The dedicated space for Guest Autographs will relieve the congestion encountered in the former autograph areas on the Sheraton 3rd floor.

These changes were not taken lightly and we took time to analyze the pros and cons of each option before moving forward. Once we made our decision the new floor layouts had to be approved by the Boston Fire Marshall for safety purposes. This took more time than initially anticipated, as some adjustments were required to meet the Fire Code. We did not make any advance notice of the tentative changes to avoid confusion in the event of rejection from the Fire Marshall.

We just recently received final approval for the new layouts. As such we have started the next phase of the Artists' Alley registration process. Artists will have already begun receiving notification of their acceptance. Please check your email, including spam folder, for your notifications. Artists have 72 hours to complete their registration. Notifications are sent in waves, so some will still be forthcoming.

We understand the delays in the Artists' Alley registration have not been ideal and appreciate your patience and understanding. We are continually striving to improve Anime Boston for both our exhibitors and attendees. Our hope is that with the baseline established for these new layouts, future years will not require such a lengthy approval process.

Of final note, the Hynes Hall C entrance from the Sheraton 3rd floor will now be closed. This is to address security and layout requirements for the new Dealers' Room location. The other entrances into the Hynes building from the Prudential Mall, Dalton Street, and Boylston Street will all be open their standard hours.
Winnie Chen

Social Media Coordinator 19 20 21
Social Media Staff 18
Assistant Customer Service Manager 16 17
Press Liaison 16
Registration Staff 12 13 14 15
YandereKiwi
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Changes for the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley in 2020

Post by YandereKiwi »

So I assume we can once again expect long lines just to get inside. Still going to send people outside in the line despite it being cold or raining?
Anime Boston 2020
Friday: Miles Edgeworth (am), Idol!Majima Goro (pm)
Saturday: Tricolor Airline Hatsune Miku
Sunday: Bouquet Eli Ayase
KaizoZelda
I'm new!

Post by KaizoZelda »

Made an account just to say I think this is a horrible idea for multiple reasons. First off, the elimination of the 3rd floor entrance will dramatically increase lines getting into the con, which obviously everyone hates. Second, IIRC there's only one way out of the exhibition halls, there's without a doubt going to be some congestion from people entering and leaving the room. I honestly have no idea how the fire marshal couldn't see that. Third, since the exhibition halls are all being taken by the dealers room and artist alley, what's going to happen to popular panels like the Opening Ceremony or Bad Anime Bad? Panels like those need all the space they can get as a pretty big chunk of con goers go to them. If the main big rooms are taken away, I'm afraid it'll be way too cramped and there won't be enough seats to go around. These are just a few of my concerns regarding this news.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

YandereKiwi wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:54 pm So I assume we can once again expect long lines just to get inside. Still going to send people outside in the line despite it being cold or raining?
It's the Pru's security that makes AB send the line outside and through that alleyway.
I myself have only used the Pru door as exit since they started using the metal detectors.
Boylston Street entrance is faster, as the detectors are right inside the doors, not halfway into the building like the Pru entrance is (which just goes to show that it's 'security theater')
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Eevee wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 pm We are excited to announce new changes for the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley at Anime Boston 2020.

This year we will be relocating both the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley. The Dealers' Room will be moved to the second floor of the Hynes Convention Center, in Exhibit Halls C and D. Over the years we've received numerous inquiries from our vendors to have larger booth configurations and hanging signage. Unfortunately we were unable to accommodate these requests due to the column placements and low ceilings of Exhibit Halls A and B. Placing the Dealers' Room in Exhibit Halls C and D will allow these options for our larger vendors.

The Artists' Alley is being relocated to the first floor of the Hynes, in Exhibit Hall A. Exhibit Hall A has more square feet than Exhibit Hall C and will allow for a few more booths within the Artists' Alley. It will also have wider aisles than it did in Hall C, to help ease the flow of foot traffic.

Additionally, Exhibit Hall B on the Hynes' first floor will become our new Entertainment Hall. It will have dedicated space for Guest Autograph tables, Live Gaming, cosplay photo shoot areas, and more. The dedicated space for Guest Autographs will relieve the congestion encountered in the former autograph areas on the Sheraton 3rd floor.

These changes were not taken lightly and we took time to analyze the pros and cons of each option before moving forward. Once we made our decision the new floor layouts had to be approved by the Boston Fire Marshall for safety purposes. This took more time than initially anticipated, as some adjustments were required to meet the Fire Code. We did not make any advance notice of the tentative changes to avoid confusion in the event of rejection from the Fire Marshall.

We just recently received final approval for the new layouts. As such we have started the next phase of the Artists' Alley registration process. Artists will have already begun receiving notification of their acceptance. Please check your email, including spam folder, for your notifications. Artists have 72 hours to complete their registration. Notifications are sent in waves, so some will still be forthcoming.

We understand the delays in the Artists' Alley registration have not been ideal and appreciate your patience and understanding. We are continually striving to improve Anime Boston for both our exhibitors and attendees. Our hope is that with the baseline established for these new layouts, future years will not require such a lengthy approval process.

Of final note, the Hynes Hall C entrance from the Sheraton 3rd floor will now be closed. This is to address security and layout requirements for the new Dealers' Room location. The other entrances into the Hynes building from the Prudential Mall, Dalton Street, and Boylston Street will all be open their standard hours.
Can I ask where the Dalton Street entrance is exactly? I stay at the Hilton every year and that entrance would definitely be easiest for me since I can't walk far/wait in the line for the Pru entrance.

Also, for those of us with disabilities, do we have to wait in the line for the Pru entrance if I chose to use that? I have bad knees and can't stand in long lines.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

I'm very happy to see that the Dealers' Room is getting bigger. I hope this means that you can now welcome more dealers. One store that I occasionally work with would love to come to AB but hasn't been able to get in due to the high competition.

On the other hand, I, like some others, am sad about the closing of the Sheraton entrance. I hope there will be alternatives available to relieve congestion.

I do have one question about autographs. With the move from the Sheraton 3rd floor to Hynes Hall B, will you also be changing the autograph ticketing procedure? I hope not, because it feels like you finally found a formula that works well since the 2018 revamp.
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

KaizoZelda wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm Second, IIRC there's only one way out of the exhibition halls, there's without a doubt going to be some congestion from people entering and leaving the room. I honestly have no idea how the fire marshal couldn't see that.
Hall use is basically what's it's been for the past several years. A/B is essentially transposed to C/D and there are still two primary entrance/exits. Each hall has many emergency exits available, in case of an emergency requiring evacuation. Nothing is blocking emergency egress and all floor plans have been approved by the fire marshall.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

MomoMiraculous wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:06 pm Can I ask where the Dalton Street entrance is exactly? I stay at the Hilton every year and that entrance would definitely be easiest for me since I can't walk far/wait in the line for the Pru entrance.
The Boyleston Street Entrance, As you walk out of the Hilton, you cross the road to the Sheraton Entrance. Facing the Sheraton Entrance, turn left & follow the road, taking one right when you hit the first intersection. It is down that Sidewalk. The Dalton entrance, along this route was also an alternative entrance in the past, across from King's. It is a slight walk outside, uphill, perhaps in total a quarter city block?, but a significantly smaller security theater experience with no stairs to navigate as you are on the first floor.
Last edited by Kalyoth on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
T-Money
AB Staff

Post by T-Money »

MomoMiraculous wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:06 pm Also, for those of us with disabilities, do we have to wait in the line for the Pru entrance if I chose to use that? I have bad knees and can't stand in long lines.
Hey there! If you have an accessibility sticker on your badge, you won't have to wait in line, no matter which entrance you use. If you want to read more about our Accessibility Policy, you can do so here: https://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/con ... essibility or you can reach out to us directly with any questions at accessibility@animeboston.com.
Theresa Hofacre
Member Relations Manager
Anime Boston 2024
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Kalyoth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 am
MomoMiraculous wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:06 pm Can I ask where the Dalton Street entrance is exactly? I stay at the Hilton every year and that entrance would definitely be easiest for me since I can't walk far/wait in the line for the Pru entrance.
The Dalton Street Entrance, As you walk out of the Hilton, you cross the road to the Sheraton Entrance. Facing the Sheraton Entrance, turn left & follow the road, taking one right when you hit the first intersection. It is down that Sidewalk. Unless the additional entrance here was discontinued, along this route was also an alternative entrance in the past. It is a slight walk outside, uphill, perhaps in total half a city block?, but a significantly smaller security theater experience & you are at the escalators that you are using to span the floors of the convention center.
What you described is the Boylston St entrance. The actual main entrance to the Hynes.
Dalton St entrance is the other one you mentioned, which in on the side of the Hynes, across street from King's.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Thanks! changed it ^^ too many directions to get lost in Boston.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

Kalyoth wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 pm Thanks! changed it ^^ too many directions to get lost in Boston.
I know the feeling. I drive a truck Boston quite a bit for my day job. As this is my first Anime Boston, I’ll probably need some help myself.
Jason Hopkins
2020-2022 Photo Studio Assistant
2023: At Con Registration staff
2024: At Con Registration staff

Takumi Fujiwara is my spirit animal...
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

For those who are like me, more on the visual learning end of the spectrum, here's a quick map I made to easily visualize where those entrances are while the AB graphics team creates a cleaner version of it.

Now to put some things into perspective, these are not long walks at all. From the Hilton/Sheraton front entrance to the Dalton St entrance is a one minute walk (300 ft according to google). If you decide to go around the corner to the Boylston St instead, that's a 3 minute walk with a large overhang that goes from the corner to the entrance.

Now if you go to the Boylston St entrance from the Eataly side, That's a 1 minute walk (~250 ft according to google, from when you step foot outside) but no overhang.

Historically speaking, over the past three years, the wait times on the entrances have been:
  • Prudential Entrance: 15 min
  • Boylston St.: less than a minute
  • Dalton St.: less than 5 minutes
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

KaizoZelda wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pmOpening Ceremony or Bad Anime Bad?
Opening Ceremony is in the Auditorium. Bad Anime, Bad is another matter. If there are no night concerts, it could be moved to the Auditorium; the 3rd floor ballrooms may well be too small.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
SM1
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SM1 »

Losing the Sheraton entrance is hot garbage. This convention did not need to get _less_ accessible.