Announcing the Beautiful Machine Ball!

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
striker923
AB Staff

Announcing the Beautiful Machine Ball!

Post by striker923 »

Anime Boston is pleased to announce the return of our Formal Charity Ball! The Beautiful Machine Ball will be held Friday evening in the Hynes Convention Center. For tickets and further information please visit the Formal Ball page here.
minkalink19
Expert Poster

Re: Announcing the Beautiful Machine Ball!

Post by minkalink19 »

Now when I was filling the order out it said:
"formal ball ticket-2 qty. 1"

So did I get one ticket or two?

If I'm paying for someone else's ticket. Do I give my information or theirs?
:geek:
~~~~~CinnaMama~~~~~
NOlemons
Veteran Poster

Post by NOlemons »

This may be a stupid question, but as my cosplay requires a Eye patch, I'm guessing that doesn't impede the vision rule as its not a prop but a part of the cosplay?
2016 confirms
Fuhrer King Bradley
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

minkalink19 wrote:Now when I was filling the order out it said:

You bought one ticket, for the second (7-9pm) time slot. Put down the information of the person picking up the ticket. Their badge will be checked to match. If you put your information, you will have to pick up the ticket yourself.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

Hey Anime Boston,

I'm glad you're including eastern formal-wear as a part of the ball:
http://www.animeboston.com/programming/formal_ball/
Those wearing formal attire from Japan or other eastern countries should be clothed neatly and in full attire. For gentlemen this means the full Haori-Hakama, for women a formal Kimono such as the Furisode or Kurotomesode.
but I'm not sure if the kimono types you've listed are entirely appropriate. While furisode for unmarried women under 25 is ok, kurotomesode (black kimono with a large motif on the bottom) is really only for married women to wear at japanese-style weddings (especially the mom): think of it this way -- you wouldn't wear a graduation cap and gown outside of a graduation ceremony, right? Kurotomesode is the uniform that mothers wear to send off their sons and daughters o_o

The right choice of Kimono for a married woman or a woman over 25 for a party would be an irotomesode (a little more formal than expected, but appropriate to wear outside of weddings), and females of all ages can choose to wear houmongi (design flows from right shoulder to bottom left), iromugi (single color kimono; usually the fabric features a beautiful texture), tsukesage, or komon kimono.

Please consult this chart: http://www.immortalgeisha.com/wiki/inde ... Kimono#TPO
Please also reach out to your local Japanese society to see if they offer a Kimono wearing workshop :D there are tons of ways to adjust the formality of a kimono by choosing the proper obi and other kimono accessories.
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
minkalink19
Expert Poster

Post by minkalink19 »

Miyu chan wrote:
minkalink19 wrote:Now when I was filling the order out it said:

You bought one ticket, for the second (7-9pm) time slot. Put down the information of the person picking up the ticket. Their badge will be checked to match. If you put your information, you will have to pick up the ticket yourself.
oooookie thank you!!!
~~~~~CinnaMama~~~~~
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

skim wrote: The right choice of Kimono for a married woman or a woman over 25 for a party would be an irotomesode (a little more formal than expected, but appropriate to wear outside of weddings), and females of all ages can choose to wear houmongi (design flows from right shoulder to bottom left), iromugi (single color kimono; usually the fabric features a beautiful texture), tsukesage, or komon kimono.

Please consult this chart: http://www.immortalgeisha.com/wiki/inde ... Kimono#TPO
Please also reach out to your local Japanese society to see if they offer a Kimono wearing workshop :D there are tons of ways to adjust the formality of a kimono by choosing the proper obi and other kimono accessories.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I will be sure to adjust the dress code to include this.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
MikanKomaeda
Experienced Poster

Post by MikanKomaeda »

I haven't been to AB since '13, will the ball be held in the same location as it was then?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

s0ra wrote:I haven't been to AB since '13, will the ball be held in the same location as it was then?
No, the ball will be held within the Hynes Convention Center, the same location as last year, and AB 2008.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
MikanKomaeda
Experienced Poster

Post by MikanKomaeda »

Oh that's much better. Thank you!
Executionervt009
Experienced Poster

Post by Executionervt009 »

I wasn't that excited last year when it was announced the ball would be in the convention center as opposed to off property, but I think it worked out really well, and was happy it was there. We didn't have to catch a bus or cab or walk back to the con, so we didn't have to miss things that were right after. Plus makes sense to not rent out another building for it.