Anime Boston 2023 Update

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Anime Boston 2023 Update

Post by Nemra »

To the AB Community,

Anime Boston 2022 was only 6 months ago and yet Anime Boston 2023 is 4 months away already. 2022 was our largest convention to date with 30k members. To everyone who made it possible, you have our sincerest gratitude.

Despite the convention’s success, there will always be places where we can and must improve. After experiencing the convention for the first time in three years and looking over the feedback we’ve collected, we’ve found that there were some organizational and economic issues that no longer made sense and hindered our desired goals to increase the quality of the show. While most of the changes will be felt behind the scenes, here are some of the changes you can expect to see starting this convention year as well as some rough timeline estimates for important dates.

Vaccination and Mask Requirements

Anime Boston will maintain the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. We will, however, be updating the language to require ‘up-to-date’ vaccinations instead of ‘fully vaccinated’. To check if you are considered ‘up to date’, please check the CDC guidelines on their website, under the ‘Find Out When You Can Get a Booster’ section. Masks are strongly encouraged but not required at this time. Anime Boston may change this into a requirement as we continue to monitor cases leading up to the convention.

Please visit our covid policy pagefor the most up to date policy for Anime Boston 2023.

Membership Price and Early Registration

There was confusion regarding our early registration for 2023 immediately after Anime Boston 2022. Early registration has always been available at the Anime Boston Merch booth in the Dealer’s Room every year. Because of logistical and staffing constraints, we decided to explore opening this offer up online instead and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Our original intention had been to increase the price of memberships in 2022 in such a way where we would not need to increase it further for a while. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the state of the financial world has not been conducive towards this goal and the cost of business has increased further still since last year. However, in order to keep the price of memberships from increasing this year, we have implemented some alternate changes to our event.

Program Guide

Our first major change is regarding the printed program guides. After reviewing feedback and looking at significantly increased printing costs, we considered the option to rely completely on Guidebook, our app-based digital program guide. We understand, however, that the experience of a physical booklet can be important for many, both due to accessibility and ease of use compared to digital technology and also as a collectors item. Therefore, we will be having a limited print run of program guides sold at a cost of five(5) dollars per copy. Additionally, we are overhauling the design and content of the program guide to modernize it and present it in full color, to make it worthy of the price. You will be able to pre-purchase the program guide during the online preregistration process. Charging separately for the printed program guides also allows us to not have to "bake the cost" into the membership prices of all attendees, thereby helping us avoid increasing membership rates this year.

Theme

Themes will still be a part of Anime Boston, but they will not be highlighted in the same way as before. Our convention themes began in 2006, when our maximum attendance was 9,000 members. Since then, our themes have become grander and more impressive. However, their greater complexity has come at the cost of our financial resources, storage space, and time. Each year we would produce a large quantity of themed decor that would inevitably be discarded post-convention. As such, from this point forward, our themes will be more integrated into our programming events with a more subtle appearance. Additionally, we will continue to use Anime Boston-focused decorations for the convention center and produce pieces that can be reused each year, regardless of the theme. By producing more reusable pieces and re-using our current decorations, we will be able to cut costs and make Anime Boston a more sustainable event.

Guest Autographs

Last year highlighted a culture shift that changed while we were away. It no longer makes financial sense for the convention to pay for free guest autographs that only 100 people per guest would be able to utilize. As a cost and logistics saving measure, we will no longer be holding free autograph sessions. All autograph sessions will still be held in Hall B, same as last year, at the time and price of the guest’s discretion as they always have been. Again, this prevents us from having to subsidize free guest autographs that only a slim majority of members would be able to access by paying for it with costs from all membership fees.

Masquerade

To end on a high note, as previously mentioned, Anime Boston has had to truly look inward to consider the type of event we want to be and adjust our budget to match those goals. Cosplay has always been an integral part of our convention and oftentimes, the best way to increase the quality of the show is to put money where our mouth is.

We are extremely excited to announce that our ‘Best in Show’ prizes in both Craftsmanship and Performance categories will be $5,000 each. Additionally, Masters Level first place prize will be increased to $1,000 and second place prize will receive $500, in both Craftsmanship and Performance. Additional information for the Masquerade can be found here.

Other Status Updates

Panels: Live
Staff Applications: Live
Hotels: Waiting on contracts from hotels. No ETA yet.
Preregistration: November 16th, 2022
Press: December 1st, 2022
AA: A new system is being set up to handle applications more easily. Target date is sometime in December.
Cosplay Events: January 1st, 2023
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Selestyl
Determined Poster

Re: Anime Boston 2023 Update

Post by Selestyl »

Thanks for all of the information - I know these can’t have been easy choices to make and it’s good to know so far in advance.

If we already pre registered at the con this year, will it still be possible to pre-purchase a physical guidebook? Would like to make sure I can get one if possible!
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

Thank you AB!! we're so excited!!

Any chance Art Alley people will be able to pay for their badge when they register or are those going to stay separate systems? 🥰
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Selestyl wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:25 pm Thanks for all of the information - I know these can’t have been easy choices to make and it’s good to know so far in advance.

If we already pre registered at the con this year, will it still be possible to pre-purchase a physical guidebook? Would like to make sure I can get one if possible!
yup! Should be able to log into your registration account and add it from there :)

If that doesn't work, you can reach out to registration customer service and they'll help out https://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/127
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Lone_Wulf91
AB Staff

Post by Lone_Wulf91 »

Thanks for all this update. Definitely going to look forward to Anime Boston 2023 and whatever the future holds next here on out
Richard Rivera
Rick Rivera

Rich Rivera
Security Staff
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

SailorAstera wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:29 pm Thank you AB!! we're so excited!!

Any chance Art Alley people will be able to pay for their badge when they register or are those going to stay separate systems? 🥰
Those will remain separate systems but I'll make a note of it for end of year feedback
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

Nemra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:50 pm
SailorAstera wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:29 pm Thank you AB!! we're so excited!!

Those will remain separate systems but I'll make a note of it for end of year feedback
Ah awesome! Thank you! It's always been something we've dreamed of for so long :')
Sprucing up my portfolio for the apps! 8-)
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
kittehspring
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kittehspring »

Super excited!! Just wondering if the con has any intention of combatting AI artists trying to get into the artist alley?

I heard it was an issue at AX Chibi and I want to be sure I’m supporting artists who put time, effort, and emotion into their craft!
~Cosplays~
AB 11: Taiwan, Seychelles
AB 12: Eclectica Jade, Gakuen Seychelles
AB 13: Meulin
AB 14: Konohana Sakuya
AB 15: Monomi
AB 16: Monomi
AB 17: Junker D.VA
AB 18: Emily (Overwatch) , Kageyama
AB: 19: Junker D.va
AB 22: Haru (Beastars), Sasori
animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

Thank you for the information. From the sound of it, the past 2 to 3 years really hit AB's finances hard. It's understandable that some of these changes are being made.
Nemra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:46 pm As a cost and logistics saving measure, we will no longer be holding free autograph sessions. All autograph sessions will still be held in Hall B, same as last year, at the time and price of the guest’s discretion as they always have been.
Regarding the end of free autographs, I hope AB will take into account that this means its most popular guests will now have huge, huge lines in Hall B. AB will now need to consider where and how people are going to line up in that already congested hall. There will for sure be people queuing up hours in advance before a guest arrives at their booth.
Nemra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:46 pm After reviewing feedback and looking at significantly increased printing costs, we considered the option to rely completely on Guidebook, our app-based digital program guide.
If you do this, please offer a web-browser-based version of Guidebook in addition to the mobile app version.

I mentioned this before in the feedback thread for AB 2022 but one of my friends does not use a smartphone for accessibility reasons. They carry a laptop and use wi-fi to connect to the internet. Without a physical program book or a browser-based version of Guidebook, they will not be able to figure out the schedule on their own.

We've been to other conventions together that use the browser-based Guidebook and we know that it does offer a very good user experience just like the app version. I hope AB can use it too.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

animosc wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:50 am
Regarding the end of free autographs, I hope AB will take into account that this means its most popular guests will now have huge, huge lines in Hall B. AB will now need to consider where and how people are going to line up in that already congested hall. There will for sure be people queuing up hours in advance before a guest arrives at their booth.
Both free and paid autographs were in Hall B last year. After trying Hall B last year for the first time, there will be a few tweaks here and there to improve it's flow and whatever notes we have on 'lessons learned' but that's always an every year process like everything else.
If you do this, please offer a web-browser-based version of Guidebook in addition to the mobile app version.
Just to clear up some confusion on this, the program guide(booklet) is not the same thing as the con chowdah(paper schedule separate from the PG). We are still planning on having a physical copy of the schedule handed out for those who want it, barring some crazy happenstance.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

I get it; inflation is a fact of life. Changes needed to be made to make AB financially viable for years to come. I'm just grateful for the heads up coming so many months before the event! :)

See you all in '23!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

Hello,

I had a question about the Covid Vaccine Policy. If a person who has the complete 2 Pfizer vaccines in 2021 but does not have the booster. Comes to AB 2023, will they be turned away from at the door?

(This question doesn't effect me personally I'm planning on getting my fourth booster in January 2023), but it will effect another person coming with me this year. Wasting hundreds of dollars on the hotel, transportation, and actual badge costs is a major concern, so I'm trying to fully understand this policy. I do not want to get to the convention on Thursday and find out having the vaccine isn't enough).
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

That depends but most likely yes since you've indicated they already have their primary doses.
To check if you are considered ‘up to date’, please check the CDC guidelines on their website, under the ‘Find Out When You Can Get a Booster’ section.
There is a tool outlined there (click the 'find out when to get a booster' button) that will ask you a series of questions and let you know if you are considered up to date or not
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

A clarifying question: would it be possible to disclose whose decision it was for the vaccine/mask mandate - the organization or insurance - as there currently is no government requirement to my knowledge of this either in MA or on national level via law enacted. Not a debate, just looking for the basis to be explained. There will likely be significant pushback on the continuance considering the ending of all such mandates across previous six plus months. Thanks.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

I feel like the convention wouldn't disclose who made the choice for the vaccine rules, because it would be throwing someone under the bus. And no one wants to be under the bus.

I do question how the updated vaccines will be enforced, when reading the CDC guidelines if you had covid you can push off the vaccine booster for 6 months. So how would AB treat that? Would a doctor's note or positive test be needed to show the person had covid within the 6 month period? It doesn't seem as easy as looking at a license/ID to check to see if someone is over 18. Even Japan's own rules to enter the country seem easier than the up to date vaccine rule. You can enter Japan without a covid test as long as you are vaccinated and have the booster (none of this up to date stuff). They are just looking for 3 shots.

I feel like there is a political aspect to this (total speculation) but it's interesting that we can go to Foxboro to see a Pats game, a sold out concert at Paradise Rock Club, or a sold out AEW show at the Agganis arena and not need to show vaccination of any kind.

There is still time before the convention so there is a chance this could change, but I think there will be lots of confusion between con-goers and staff, and long lines trying to confirm everyone's up to date status.

(Subject to Change)
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Goldfish221 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:47 am I feel like the convention wouldn't disclose who made the choice for the vaccine rules, because it would be throwing someone under the bus. And no one wants to be under the bus.

I do question how the updated vaccines will be enforced, when reading the CDC guidelines if you had covid you can push off the vaccine booster for 6 months. So how would AB treat that? Would a doctor's note or positive test be needed to show the person had covid within the 6 month period? It doesn't seem as easy as looking at a license/ID to check to see if someone is over 18. Even Japan's own rules to enter the country seem easier than the up to date vaccine rule. You can enter Japan without a covid test as long as you are vaccinated and have the booster (none of this up to date stuff). They are just looking for 3 shots.

I feel like there is a political aspect to this (total speculation) but it's interesting that we can go to Foxboro to see a Pats game, a sold out concert at Paradise Rock Club, or a sold out AEW show at the Agganis arena and not need to show vaccination of any kind.

There is still time before the convention so there is a chance this could change, but I think there will be lots of confusion between con-goers and staff, and long lines trying to confirm everyone's up to date status.
It's why I was trying to generally seek some information. Where this requirement is not the majority in society, it's more like a barrier placed in front of the public, that will make the convention more of a "private" / exclusive event over time as it remains vs. a public event. That will impose long term consequence over time & give rise to competition without the rules in place. Time will tell.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

toyrobin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by toyrobin »

Thank you so much for keeping the vaccination requirement in place, I was really worried it would be pulled back so I held off on registering early like I usually do for this reason. My friend and I both have family members who are immunocompromised and we really wouldn't feel comfortable attending with no covid restrictions in place.
2024 marks 10 years since my first AB...
sylvrkatk
Experienced Poster

Post by sylvrkatk »

Sorry to sound ignorant, but for clarification, I've had my vaccination in 2021, but I would be turned away for not having a booster since then? Not trying to be argumentative, just needed a clear answer.
Thank you
stokage
Expert Poster

Post by stokage »

Kalyoth wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:45 am It's why I was trying to generally seek some information. Where this requirement is not the majority in society, it's more like a barrier placed in front of the public, that will make the convention more of a "private" / exclusive event over time as it remains vs. a public event. That will impose long term consequence over time & give rise to competition without the rules in place. Time will tell.
Exclusive is the more accurate description, I would agree. I've already seen smaller, more local events mirror your supposition. I saved a considerable sum last year by my forced absence, and now I can look forward to that same savings moving forward. If anything, it allows me to spend additional funds on Anime, which I feel is a more direct support to the industry at large rather than attending a con that only wants a specific demographic.
AB 2012: S-Kogure Kiminobu (Slam Dunk)
AB 2013: F-Harima Kenji (School Rumble), S-Tuxedo Mask
AB 2014: F-Harima Kenji, S-Chinese Dragon, Tuxedo Mask
AB 2015: S-Jin (Samurai Champloo)
AB 2016: F-Jin, S-Yu Narukami
AB 2017: S-Jin
AB 2018: F-Tuxedo Mask, S-Yu Narukami, Su-Jin
AB 2019: F-Clark Kent, S-Tuxedo Mask, Su-Jin
AB 2020: Cancelled
AB 2021: Cancelled
AB 2022: AB Boycott due to shot requirement
AB 2023: Same as above
AB 2024: Maybe (IF shot requirement is rescinded)
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

stokage wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:38 pm

Exclusive is the more accurate description, I would agree. I've already seen smaller, more local events mirror your supposition. I saved a considerable sum last year by my forced absence, and now I can look forward to that same savings moving forward. If anything, it allows me to spend additional funds on Anime, which I feel is a more direct support to the industry at large rather than attending a con that only wants a specific demographic.
I'd like to invite you to spend that money you saved at RI animecon at they end of july. NO mandates. Will be their first year but it run by the people that have done RI comiccon the past 10 years.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:46 pm To the AB Community,

Anime Boston 2022 was only 6 months ago and yet Anime Boston 2023 is 4 months away already. 2022 was our largest convention to date with 30k members. To everyone who made it possible, you have our sincerest gratitude.

Despite the convention’s success, there will always be places where we can and must improve. After experiencing the convention for the first time in three years and looking over the feedback we’ve collected, we’ve found that there were some organizational and economic issues that no longer made sense and hindered our desired goals to increase the quality of the show. While most of the changes will be felt behind the scenes, here are some of the changes you can expect to see starting this convention year as well as some rough timeline estimates for important dates.

Vaccination and Mask Requirements

Anime Boston will maintain the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. We will, however, be updating the language to require ‘up-to-date’ vaccinations instead of ‘fully vaccinated’. To check if you are considered ‘up to date’, please check the CDC guidelines on their website, under the ‘Find Out When You Can Get a Booster’ section. Masks are strongly encouraged but not required at this time. Anime Boston may change this into a requirement as we continue to monitor cases leading up to the convention.

Please visit our covid policy page for the most up to date policy for Anime Boston 2023.
Hi - just looking to see some clarity here as this has now been struck out in the original announcement, but still links out to CDC information & a policy page that might not be relevant? - is this no longer a policy in place or more in flux pending forthcoming changes? Want to be sure as we move closer what I may need to comply with. Thanks!

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Turns out, strikethroughs don't affect links and I didn't bother to check before. Removed the URL.

The policy is always being discussed as we watch cases in MA, but to answer your question: the policy page linked has and will have the most up to date language
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Nemra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 pm Turns out, strikethroughs don't affect links and I didn't bother to check before. Removed the URL.

The policy is always being discussed as we watch cases in MA, but to answer your question: the policy page linked has and will have the most up to date language
Thanks. I will keep an eye on the page. Where it refers to specific time frames for shots administered, will there be a final update point on the policy where it won't change from that form, for final convention use? I suspect many are watching it for changes as I am.

waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Kalyoth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:10 pm
Nemra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 pm Turns out, strikethroughs don't affect links and I didn't bother to check before. Removed the URL.

Thanks. I will keep an eye on the page. Where it refers to specific time frames for shots administered, will there be a final update point on the policy where it won't change from that form, for final convention use? I suspect many are watching it for changes as I am.
Hoping they drop this whole thing like most of the world has. I've gone to concerts, events and other con since last year without mandates. AB is the last hold out. The people that still want it must not be leaving their houses still because world is back to normal around them. Markets, stores, and anywhere else you can think to go people are going around not worrying who did or didn't get shots or boosters. The whole preventing spread has been completely debunked and should be a personal choice of your own comfort level.
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

waynoinsano wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:59 pm Hoping they drop this whole thing like most of the world has. I've gone to concerts, events and other con since last year without mandates. AB is the last hold out. The people that still want it must not be leaving their houses still because world is back to normal around them. Markets, stores, and anywhere else you can think to go people are going around not worrying who did or didn't get shots or boosters. The whole preventing spread has been completely debunked and should be a personal choice of your own comfort level.
AB is absolutely not the last holdout and I've seen many events including conventions still have mask mandates and even more strict vaccination mandates than AB.

Something I don't think you guys realize is that the vaccination/mask policies at cons are for attendees and also especially for staff. Staff is all volunteers and don't get paid, if the staff doesn't feel safe going to the con, they won't participate. Then you have no staff, and you have no convention. A significant amount of attendees wouldn't personally attend a con without some sort of applicable Covid policy.

Sure, you may not deem it acceptable or you might not believe it's needed, but a large enough amount of attendees think it's important as well as any other contributing factors (the convention center, any sponsors/organizers, staff, etc.). Please keep this in mind.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

compressedbread wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:18 am
AB is absolutely not the last holdout and I've seen many events including conventions still have mask mandates and even more strict vaccination mandates than AB.

Something I don't think you guys realize is that the vaccination/mask policies at cons are for attendees and also especially for staff. Staff is all volunteers and don't get paid, if the staff doesn't feel safe going to the con, they won't participate. Then you have no staff, and you have no convention. A significant amount of attendees wouldn't personally attend a con without some sort of applicable Covid policy.

Sure, you may not deem it acceptable or you might not believe it's needed, but a large enough amount of attendees think it's important as well as any other contributing factors (the convention center, any sponsors/organizers, staff, etc.). Please keep this in mind.
I volunteered at a con with no mandates last Nov. there was no problem finding volunteers and attendance was as high as pre-covid. The general population is done with these rules only a tiny % is still holding on to live under fear. Each person should be able to make the risk assessment for themselves with being forced to do something they fell is unnecessary for them. YOU fell you want a booster YOU go get one, YOU want to still wear a mask YOU do that, but for the 99.9% that have gone back to our normal lives mandates are unneeded. I be glad on May 11th when the federal govt ends the national emergency and public health emergency declarations at which point no venue will be able to continue to force medical decisions on
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

waynoinsano wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 am

I volunteered at a con with no mandates last Nov. there was no problem finding volunteers and attendance was as high as pre-covid. The general population is done with these rules only a tiny % is still holding on to live under fear. Each person should be able to make the risk assessment for themselves with being forced to do something they fell is unnecessary for them. YOU fell you want a booster YOU go get one, YOU want to still wear a mask YOU do that, but for the 99.9% that have gone back to our normal lives mandates are unneeded. I be glad on May 11th when the federal govt ends the national emergency and public health emergency declarations at which point no venue will be able to continue to force medical decisions on
Frankly, I'd love to see some sources for these magical statistics you keep pulling out of fantasy land. 99.9% is quite the number.

I also went to a con with no mandates last October. It's a case by case basis depending on staff and attendees. Maybe you should look into attending some conventions that you feel more comfortable going to instead of flooding the forums with your complaining for the second year in a row.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

waynoinsano wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:59 pm Hoping they drop this whole thing like most of the world has. I've gone to concerts, events and other con since last year without mandates. AB is the last hold out. The people that still want it must not be leaving their houses still because world is back to normal around them. Markets, stores, and anywhere else you can think to go people are going around not worrying who did or didn't get shots or boosters. The whole preventing spread has been completely debunked and should be a personal choice of your own comfort level.

I can understand from both sides, but at the end of the day unless conventions force every attendee to covid test and submit those test results back to the con to publish to prove or disprove covid was spreading, it's all speculation. People can't prove where they got it. They could have got it at the Jo-Anns run day(s) before the con or eating a a restaurant or from a family member who didn't know they had it.

Also from what I'm seeing on friend posts, twitter, and youtube it seems conventions are having a harder time enforcing mask rules. Katsucon that just happened this past weekend I saw so many posts saying staff and attendees not wearing masks. (Which I think is fine I'm all for choice). But it upsets people because the rule is in place and then when staff don't follow/enforce the cons own rule, it sets a tone of confusion because if hotel staff, con staff, security aren't wearing masks then why should the attendees? (Unless they want to wear a mask then go for it :) ) And I've seen similar posts/videos from larger cons. Only Anime Expo was the can I saw posts of staff saying they needed vaccine cards then not even checking for some of the attendees that got in.

At the end of the day people will adhere or not, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And if people lost money because of misunderstandings it will make the con look bad which I worry about.

(Subject to Change)
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

I've had an exhaustive amount of conversations with people that told me we're not doing enough. I've had an equally exhaustive amount of conversations with people telling me we're doing too much. Each believes they speak for everyone else. No matter the decision, there will be a population that is unsatisfied. What doesn't help is people becoming increasingly aggressive when they don't like the reply and frankly, we don't have the time, energy, or resources to discuss the merits of every 'hot take' we get thrown our way.

At the end of the day it's a decision that was announced in November, before pre-registration opened, to allow everyone to decide what is best for themselves. Arguing for or against is frankly meaningless if there aren't actual facts and data applied to support those stances; something that both sides of this argument state they have to prove their case. AB will continue to monitor several factors that go into these decisions, as we have always done, with each factor equally as important as the other, and make adjustments based on those facts alone to do what is best for the convention, it's staff, and attending members.

I am now going to lock this thread as this conversation continuously circles around endlessly and leads to nowhere time and time again, for the past two years.

If anyone has any questions regarding the covid policy, please message the registration customer service team where they will be able to answer your questions most accurately. I cannot guarantee you accuracy if you message a different department that will not be handling the check at registration.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR