Anime Boston 2021 Cancellation Notice

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Anime Boston 2021 Cancellation Notice

Post by Nemra »

We at Anime Boston and the New England Anime Society (NEAS) have been closely monitoring the status of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and its effect on events of our size. Although the recent developments with vaccines is fantastic news, the governor's order prohibiting larger gatherings is still in effect. With less than two months until the scheduled dates for Anime Boston 2021, it is extremely unlikely the ban will be lifted before then. As such, we unfortunately have no choice but to cancel Anime Boston 2021.

Our executive board has reviewed the possibilities of postponing the 2021 convention for later in the year or hosting an online version of Anime Boston. After careful consideration, we have decided it would not be feasible to do either at this time. We are a completely volunteer organization and all of the preparation is done on our personal time. Reorganizing the convention for later this year would be extremely difficult to achieve especially with the added uncertainty.

For our pre-registered members who had 2020 memberships transferred to 2021, by default we will be transitioning your memberships to Anime Boston 2022, set for May 27 - 29, 2022. Anime Boston is operated by the non-profit New England Anime Society (NEAS) and all revenue goes back into the operational costs of our convention and NEAS. Members who allow us to transition their membership to 2022 help us remain financially stable and cover expenses we already incurred for 2020 and 2021.

We understand that not everyone is certain if they will be able to attend Anime Boston 2022. Anyone who would prefer to be refunded for their Anime Boston 2020/2021 membership, please contact Registration Customer Service. Please include your full name and the email address used when registering. Please allow at least three to four weeks for processing of refund requests, based on the volume of requests. Please also note that refunds will be delivered by mail because it has been more than one year since the card transaction. This means that there will be a further delay between processing on our end and the refund getting back to you. A request for refund must be submitted by March 14th, 2021. Any memberships without a refund request will be transferred to Anime Boston 2022.

Hotel reservations made directly through a hotel must be cancelled through the hotel’s website or at their phone number. Reservations made via a third party vendor should be cancelled through the same vendor. Please refer to your reservation confirmation for refund information for direct hotel or third party bookings; Anime Boston is unable to intervene in these circumstances.

Participants of the 2020/2021 Artists’ Alley who have already been confirmed and completed their registration will be migrated to the 2022 Artists’ Alley. Similarly, for our exhibitors in the 2020/2021 Dealers’ Room, we will be migrating all who completed their registration to the 2022 Dealers’ Room.

Participants of Anime Boston 2020/2021 programming, such as the Masquerade, Cosplay Games, Idol Showcase, AMV Contest, panels, contests, and other events will be contacted in the upcoming weeks by their event coordinators.

We appreciate your patience and understanding while we worked to figure out a new path for Anime Boston 2021. Though we had considered cancellation earlier, we had certain contractual and financial obligations that made it difficult for us to cancel on our own before a certain time frame without jeopardizing the convention long term.

We hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy, and we encourage everyone to do their part in getting a vaccine when it is available to you. We hope to see you at a better time at the next Anime Boston, May 27 - 29, 2022.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Sayoria
AB Staff

Re: Anime Boston 2021 Cancellation Notice

Post by Sayoria »

Gut-wrenching to have two years cancelled, but it is understandable. I hope we can meet up in 2022. I miss this con so damn much.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
leadfootnh
AB Staff

Post by leadfootnh »

I understand why, but it’s still a drag. Guess I’m going to have to wait another year for my first AB.
Jason Hopkins
2020-2022 Photo Studio Assistant
2023: At Con Registration staff
2024: At Con Registration staff

Takumi Fujiwara is my spirit animal...
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

I was hoping it would happen,
But I'm NOT surprised it didn't.
Hang in there everyone.
InuMiroLover
Getting the hang of this...

Post by InuMiroLover »

I was preparing myself for this. Heck, Ive honestly made no con/cosplay plans whatsoever for the rest of the year. And I cant help but worry about the future of cons in general. Canceling once is hard, but twice? What if cons have a huge problem trying to get up and running again? Otakon is currently having issues trying to stay alive, and I can't help but feel like the writing is on the wall for other cons. I just hope we can all do whatever it is we can to support cons.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

InuMiroLover wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:03 am I was preparing myself for this. Heck, Ive honestly made no con/cosplay plans whatsoever for the rest of the year. And I cant help but worry about the future of cons in general. Canceling once is hard, but twice? What if cons have a huge problem trying to get up and running again? Otakon is currently having issues trying to stay alive, and I can't help but feel like the writing is on the wall for other cons. I just hope we can all do whatever it is we can to support cons.
The concern is real. Expect the majority of the industry on scale below Anime Boston to undergo significant shrinkage/consolidation. Just as in other industries post-covid, expect a minimum of 1 in 3 to disappear. With larger conventions such as AB & Otakon, it all comes down to planning & financial management. They may not crumble entirely, but there will be significant impacts likely to be seen for years.

Just remember, as long as there are Fans, there will be Fandom Meetings. Just the names & faces may change to protect the uninitiated...
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
TaeyangBigBang1989
Experienced Poster

Post by TaeyangBigBang1989 »

twice in a row, what is certain that there is gonna even be ANIME BOSTON 2022, i'm sick of this covid crap
AB 2012: TAEYANG/G-DRAGON (BIGBANG)
AB 2013: ZELO - B.A.P.
AB 2014: EXO - KAI (GROWL&WOLF) & TAEYANG: RINGA LINGA
AB 2015: KPOP FANBOY
AB 2016: JIMIN(BTS) FROM DOPE VIDEO
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Disappointing, but utterly rational. At my age, even if 2021 were held, I would not be attending in any event without a vaccine.

Discussed it with the missus: we will allow our pre-reg to roll over to 2022. It's the least we can do.

Hang in there, everyone! This nonsense cannot last forever. 2022 awaits!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Sayoria wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:43 pm Gut-wrenching to have two years cancelled, but it is understandable. I hope we can meet up in 2022. I miss this con so damn much.
We all do.
KQBeans
Experienced Poster

Post by KQBeans »

Though the news is painful, it is understandable, so thank you for giving us the heads up early.

Here's hoping for a more-successful 2022...Stay safe out there, everyone. :0
aresef
AB Staff

Post by aresef »

I guess I have to cop to having gotten a refund for last year (legit didn't know if I could make it even if the con had gotten off). But the announcement only sort of touched on this: What is NEAS' financial situation? I'm looking at 990s, you guys had $730k in the bank at the end of 2018. We all know what position Otakon is in, Otakorp had like $400,000 socked away, and they're saying that if there's no con this year, that might be all she wrote. Is there any reason for us to worry about the future of AB?
Tyler Waldman
Press Liaison, AB 2022
Elsewhere: Exhibits staff at Zenkaikon 2022, crew at Anime NYC 2021, longtime Otakon gofer
SM1
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SM1 »

Not surprising. Sad, but not surprising.

I'll be getting the vaccine soon, but I also just lost a fairly young (by covid standards) family member to the disease last month, so it would have been tough to stomach going anywhere crowded just on that level. But to see AB canceled is still rough even if you know it's the right call from an epidemiology standpoint.
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

We're all supremely bummed about it, too, of course. And nobody has a crystal ball, so anything about 2022 is entirely speculative at this point, and I think it's important that I mention that everything I say on here is strictly my own opinion. That being said, I am really optimistic with the vaccine rollout that we will be on track for a big return next year to the kind of experience we all miss and love so much at Anime Boston. And while every fan convention is different, and we wish nothing but the best for all of our fellow conventions, I can say that NEAS is in very good shape financially, and we do not foresee any chance of running into any fiscal concerns that would put us at risk. We are of course always looking at potential alternate revenue streams and trying to adapt for a constantly changing future, but as of right now, we are okay. We're a non-profit corporation, and none of us get paid, so a vast majority of the money we bring in turns right around to make the next con and beyond, and all that money is still sitting there waiting to get used to make you guys another spectacular AB, and we are all itching like crazy to get to a world where we can do that. AB will be back waiting for you, just like you remember it, but even better. Vast improvements lie ahead; like imagine a world where you could actually be in a large room with lots of people and not worry about impending viral doom. The mind reels. You may even be able to yell "marco!" in such a room, and experience the unbridled joy of a costumed maniac yelling back "polo!" from an escalator two floors above you. All this and more awaits us.

We miss you all a ton, but we'll be back. Promise.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

lordshamus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 pm ...I can say that NEAS is in very good shape financially, and we do not foresee any chance of running into any fiscal concerns that would put us at risk.

We miss you all a ton, but we'll be back. Promise.
Thanks for the update! I daresay that when events can be run again, they'll be a lot of pent-up demand. Haven't missed one yet and I have no intention of spoiling that.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

lordshamus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 pm The mind reels. You may even be able to yell "marco!" in such a room, and experience the unbridled joy of a costumed maniac yelling back "polo!" from an escalator two floors above you. All this and more awaits us.

Them's fighting words. Next you'll tell me people will be yelling "BUTTSCRATCHER!" too.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Kayube
Expert Poster

Post by Kayube »

I personally think it might be interesting if, rather than simply going with the Bento theme again, the theme for 2022 was instead "Three Cons In One" with a different theme each day, and everybody would be given 2020 and 2021 badges along with their 2022 badge.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Kayube wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:33 am I personally think it might be interesting if, rather than simply going with the Bento theme again, the theme for 2022 was instead "Three Cons In One" with a different theme each day, and everybody would be given 2020 and 2021 badges along with their 2022 badge.
All depends on if they were printed yet. Much of the materials would be printed as close as possible to the convention date. If they were not yet even printed, no 3 badges unless ordered that way for '22. However, outside of the longer lead time materials, they do have an opportunity for graphics & badge designs for a concept dubbed the Carmen San Diego (Where in World Did Anime Boston Go?) Convention if they so wanted to...
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn