Judge's Awards?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
hamstar138
Dedicated Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by hamstar138 »

What about the awards of the jugdes what happens with those. No news has been given.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Judge's Awards?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=hamstar138]What about the awards of the jugdes what happens with those. No news has been given. [/quote]
[quote=The Rules]
Technical Categories (Judged Awards)

* Best Editing - A nice visual effect is something, but a nice integration is another thing. Editing matched to perfection with the flow of the video. Playing in accordance to the music, note by note, image by image, fusioned to the AMV with harmony and integrity, something that if misplaced or done incorrectly would have made the video forgettable, but because it was done with perfect accordance it became unforgettable? Then this AMV deserves the Best Editing award.
* Best Concept - The things that never happen, the story, that never exists, the point of view, that you've never met before. Something, that makes you imagine things. Alternative ways of thinking, imagining and creating. Alternative stories, relationships and concepts. An elusive something that makes a video different and stands out. Then this AMV deserves the Best Concept.
* Judge's Choice - Competition is by nature survival of the fittest. This award is for that special video that astonishes us with imagination and creativity that we want to recognize, that may end up being overlooked otherwise. [/quote]

The judge's awards are traditionally presented along with the audience choice awards during the masquerade intermission. So, you'll have to wait until then.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
hamstar138
Dedicated Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by hamstar138 »

ooooh. So you have to be nominated from the other finals to get one of those awards right?

~AMV Maker~

dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=hamstar138]ooooh. So you have to be nominated from the other finals to get one of those awards right?[/quote]

Exactly.
Aidan2
AB Staff

Judge's Awards?

Post by Aidan2 »

And these awards are not given by the pre-screeners.

They are given by an entirely separate, unbiased group that has not seen ANY of the entries. And generally this batch of judges are professional video and audio people who can tell the difference.

And enjoy good scotch. just send it to Adam's home and it will find its way to the jundging screening. Just make sure the price tag is still on it, and your studio and video name are clearly marked on the bottle. And remember it is generally a panel of 4 to 6.

Not that I'm hinting anything.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=Aidan2]And these awards are not given by the pre-screeners.

They are given by an entirely separate, unbiased group that has not seen ANY of the entries. And generally this batch of judges are professional video and audio people who can tell the difference.

And enjoy good scotch. just send it to Adam's home and it will find its way to the jundging screening. Just make sure the price tag is still on it, and your studio and video name are clearly marked on the bottle. And remember it is generally a panel of 4 to 6.

Not that I'm hinting anything. [/quote]

It's scotch this year? Damn.

Does MA allow booze via internet order? I can't keep track of your blue laws :p
hamstar138
Dedicated Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by hamstar138 »

So pretty much bride him right? ¬_¬

~AMV Maker~

dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=hamstar138]So pretty much bride him right? ¬_¬[/quote]

Well, not that I swing that way, but at least I know that this is the only con that I could if I wanted to :p
LantisEscudo
Obsessed Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by LantisEscudo »

You could at Baku, too.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
hamstar138
Dedicated Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by hamstar138 »

*sighs* Well I was slightly hoping I would get a judges award. I worked hard on my AMV'S.

~AMV Maker~

Shiva
Expert Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by Shiva »

Or just cut out the middle man and buy it for yourself at AAC. ;)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=hamstar138]*sighs* Well I was slightly hoping I would get a judges award. I worked hard on my AMV'S.[/quote]

I wouldn't sweat it that much - awards given by judges are nice (especially because more often than not judges focus on technical merit and so they're overlooking things like fangirl appeal and stupid outliers that can tweak the audience), but as much as some editors loathe the audience it's nice to be recognized by the masses - see the reaction to kiarren's Romance vid in '06 for probably the best example of this in AB history.

And remember, everyone worked hard on their vids, and only a little over 20% of the submissions actually made the finals, which means that many, many other editors were left on the outside. If hard work was the only thing you needed to make the finals, the contest would be twice as long as it already is.

Look on the bright side, you still get your videos screened during the overflow blocks (which is better than some cons offer), and you'll have the benefit of experience in planning next year's vids.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Judge's Awards?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=dokool]see the reaction to kiarren's Romance vid in '06 for probably the best example of this in AB history.[/quote]
I still feel happy inside when I think about that. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=dokool]see the reaction to kiarren's Romance vid in '06 for probably the best example of this in AB history.[/quote]
I still feel happy inside when I think about that. :)[/quote]

Can that happen again this year? I think your song might be too fast for phone-waving :p
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Judge's Awards?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=dokool]
Can that happen again this year? I think your song might be too fast for phone-waving :p [/quote]
Probably too fast, but the fan-girl "awwww"ing will be more than worth the time and effort. :D
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by DriftRoot »

This is great - Kiarrens is waiting for awwwwing, dokool is waiting for cries of outrage, I'm waiting for a collective gasp of disbelief...

The heck with the AMVs, it's the audience that's going to be entertaining us. lol
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Judge's Awards?

Post by basharoftheages »

The audience always is the entertainment from the upper balcony - especially on Saturday.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by DriftRoot »

Well that's when I plan to be watching the show, so that's PERFECT. :D Maybe I'll bring binoculars so I can study people's reactions up close!! ^_^
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
hamstar138
Dedicated Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by hamstar138 »

[quote=dokool][quote=hamstar138]*sighs* Well I was slightly hoping I would get a judges award. I worked hard on my AMV'S.[/quote]

I wouldn't sweat it that much - awards given by judges are nice (especially because more often than not judges focus on technical merit and so they're overlooking things like fangirl appeal and stupid outliers that can tweak the audience), but as much as some editors loathe the audience it's nice to be recognized by the masses - see the reaction to kiarren's Romance vid in '06 for probably the best example of this in AB history.

And remember, everyone worked hard on their vids, and only a little over 20% of the submissions actually made the finals, which means that many, many other editors were left on the outside. If hard work was the only thing you needed to make the finals, the contest would be twice as long as it already is.

Look on the bright side, you still get your videos screened during the overflow blocks (which is better than some cons offer), and you'll have the benefit of experience in planning next year's vids.[/quote]

wait it will still be shown?

~AMV Maker~

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Judge's Awards?

Post by basharoftheages »

Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=DriftRoot]The heck with the AMVs, it's the audience that's going to be entertaining us. lol[/quote]

We're the goddamned puppetmasters of the convention, you do know that, right? :P

Also you need to stop playing the 'woe is me' card viz. audience reaction, the thread on the 'Org is a testament to the fact that it doesn't suck and people enjoy it so take a little pride in the damned thing.

[quote=hamstar138][wait it will still be shown?
[/quote]

Yes, as has been mentioned in the forum several times across several threads, all videos that didn't make the finals will get shown in the Overflow blocks. Normally it's all at once, but because of the number of entries this year Adam's split it by category. See the schedule Bashar posted to figure out when and where your videos will be screened.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Judge's Awards?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=dokool]
[quote=hamstar138][wait it will still be shown?
[/quote]

Yes, as has been mentioned in the forum several times across several threads, all videos that didn't make the finals will get shown in the Overflow blocks. Normally it's all at once, but because of the number of entries this year Adam's split it by category. See the schedule Bashar posted to figure out when and where your videos will be screened. [/quote]
Unless, of course, you didn't check off the "Yes! I want it to be shown no matter what!" box on the submission form. Then it won't.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

thanas
Expert Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by thanas »

[quote=DriftRoot]This is great - Kiarrens is waiting for awwwwing, dokool is waiting for cries of outrage, I'm waiting for a collective gasp of disbelief...

The heck with the AMVs, it's the audience that's going to be entertaining us. lol[/quote]
reminds me of that uber video last year at AB, the My Neighbor Totoro video. I got entertained more by the audience then i did the video itself, and came somewhat distracted by it. have to say i only saw like 50% of the video cause i was listening to the audience mostly. then i watched an full copy of it after the con, it was truely amazing video.
lina_inverse
Expert Poster

Judge's Awards?

Post by lina_inverse »

[quote=hamstar138]*sighs* Well I was slightly hoping I would get a judges award. I worked hard on my AMV'S.[/quote]

Me too!I hope I get a Judge awrad too. so good luck to the both of us!
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Judge's Awards?

Post by dokool »

[quote=lina_inverse][quote=hamstar138]*sighs* Well I was slightly hoping I would get a judges award. I worked hard on my AMV'S.[/quote]

Me too!I hope I get a Judge awrad too. so good luck to the both of us![/quote]

You don't seem to understand - only videos in the finals are eligible for judged awards.