Entries by the numbers

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
nekedo
Veteran Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by nekedo »

[quote=Chaobunny]Don't worry, I can take critique very well, that's why I asked for it. My videos are far from perfect, and that's why I ask for advice from experienced AMV makers. And I have been making AMVs for a few years now, these are just the first I entered in a contest.

By bashing, I was just refering to the people who were too immature to accept that my entries were allowed. [/quote]
Questioning eligibility of AMV =/= bashing it
Even if they were, like I said, just smile, say "thank you" and move on. Even if you don't agree with it. People will think more of you for keeping your cool instead of leaving the forums because of it.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Entries by the numbers

Post by dokool »

[quote=DriftRoot]What's hard or takes a "long time" for one person could be very easy or regarded as negligible by the next.[/quote]

The other matter is that "lots of time spent on a video" does not always equal "good video." I've spent 5 hours on videos that have made it to the final ballot, I've spent 50+ hours on videos that have made the final ballot, and I've spent 15-20 hours on videos that haven't made final ballot. It all comes down to how well the video works for you and how well you can execute what's in your head.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by DriftRoot »

[quote=dokool][quote=DriftRoot]What's hard or takes a "long time" for one person could be very easy or regarded as negligible by the next.[/quote]

The other matter is that "lots of time spent on a video" does not always equal "good video." I've spent 5 hours on videos that have made it to the final ballot, I've spent 50+ hours on videos that have made the final ballot, and I've spent 15-20 hours on videos that haven't made final ballot. It all comes down to how well the video works for you and how well you can execute what's in your head.[/quote]

Exactly. It also comes down to how fast you are at editing. I haven't decided yet if taking a hideously long time to make something that someone else could make in a quarter of the time is all that much of an accomplishment. lol
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
lina_inverse
Expert Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by lina_inverse »

I said it the rong way I put two of my first AMv in. I don;t think I made it.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Entries by the numbers

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=DriftRoot]I haven't decided yet if taking a hideously long time to make something that someone else could make in a quarter of the time is all that much of an accomplishment. lol[/quote]
I'm working on figuring that out myself.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
pettruchio
Determined Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by pettruchio »

[quote=breeman]
But it is true that someone in the audience is more likely to vote for an anime they've seen and a song they've heard. Because with obscure music/anime you have to worry a lot more about (Will lots of people like it? Will they actually get it?)

[/quote]

I think the Princess Tutu Hold Me Now video would go pretty far in proving your statement isn't always true. There is a prime example of an obscure anime and a song in german that isn't popular at all over here and yet it got the huge response that it did (not only at the convention but now nationally).

If your video is well done I don't think its all that relevant what the music and the series is that you used.

This is the first time I have submitted anything to the competition and although I didn't make it I am still excited that it will be seen in the overflow.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Entries by the numbers

Post by dokool »

[quote=pettruchio][quote=breeman]
But it is true that someone in the audience is more likely to vote for an anime they've seen and a song they've heard. Because with obscure music/anime you have to worry a lot more about (Will lots of people like it? Will they actually get it?)

[/quote]

I think the Princess Tutu Hold Me Now video would go pretty far in proving your statement isn't always true. There is a prime example of an obscure anime and a song in german that isn't popular at all over here and yet it got the huge response that it did (not only at the convention but now nationally).

If your video is well done I don't think its all that relevant what the music and the series is that you used.[/quote]

Hold Me Now, while an amazing video, was somewhat of a fluke - nobody saw it coming. 95% of "popular" videos (I'm talking Audience-popular here) are popular because not only are they well made but because they do latch onto a current trend, whether it be the choice of anime or the style of video.

Furthermore, AB has been in a very weird position over the years of having a strong local editor presence, and a reputation for a good (if slightly inconsistent depending on the category) contest overall, but lacking the "star power" that contests w/ national reputations (namely ACen, Otakon, AX, of course AWA) have. We get stuff like Hold Me Now, but at the same time I believe at least half of the trophies (if not more) have been picked up by editors at the convention. That's really impressive for a 'regional' con.

That said, given the hype of this year's contest, we could be entering a new era, especially if submissions keep rising next year and beyond. I think as AB's submission count continues to rise you'll see more and more videos that step outside the path of "popular" source - there will be less of a chance of 5 Advent Children vids making the finals and better odds of older/obscure anime replacing them. It's a brave new world.
thanas
Expert Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by thanas »

[quote=dokool][quote=pettruchio][quote=breeman]

[/quote]

If your video is well done I don't think its all that relevant what the music and the series is that you used.[/quote]

Hold Me Now, while an amazing video, was somewhat of a fluke - nobody saw it coming. 95% of "popular" videos (I'm talking Audience-popular here) are popular because not only are they well made but because they do latch onto a current trend, whether it be the choice of anime or the style of video.

Furthermore, AB has been in a very weird position over the years of having a strong local editor presence, and a reputation for a good (if slightly inconsistent depending on the category) contest overall, but lacking the "star power" that contests w/ national reputations (namely ACen, Otakon, AX, of course AWA) have. We get stuff like Hold Me Now, but at the same time I believe at least half of the trophies (if not more) have been picked up by editors at the convention. That's really impressive for a 'regional' con.

That said, given the hype of this year's contest, we could be entering a new era, especially if submissions keep rising next year and beyond. I think as AB's submission count continues to rise you'll see more and more videos that step outside the path of "popular" source - there will be less of a chance of 5 Advent Children vids making the finals and better odds of older/obscure anime replacing them. It's a brave new world.[/quote]

sounds like an good world. i got sick quickly of seeing the same series in AMVs over and over again (yes i watch AMV's alot on youtube, and i swore one week was just naruto AMVs being uploaded, that was it). Variety of videos and making SURE you pick something that is popular.... but not AS popular i think is going to becoming in handy as well. simply because out of an 100 videos say this year, how many do you think was naruto or Ouren school high? (sorry for bad spelling of that) by ensuring that you pick an somewhat popular (but not popular trend) video, i am pretty sure that is an leap up from the competition if you can make the video work and do it well. it doesn't drown in the multiples out there that will squash together if you have so many AMVs of the same anime. it will have an identity among the crowd, which i think is going to become very very valued if the contest keeps going. if have the "one" trigun video that is entered in the contest, it makes the final cut, it's done reasonably well enough for the audience to like it, your going to win. Making sure you make your AMV not be lost out in an crowd is going to become harder and harder every year from now i believe.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Entries by the numbers

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=thanas] if have the "one" trigun video that is entered in the contest, it makes the final cut, it's done reasonably well enough for the audience to like it, [color:red]your going to win[/color]. Making sure you make your AMV not be lost out in an crowd is going to become harder and harder every year from now i believe.
[/quote]
Your video being done to a "non-mainstream" anime and well edited are not enough to make it win.
There are a great many factors which go into a "great" video... story-telling, effects (though not necessary), and instilling a sense of FEELING in the crowd are important, as well.
I do agree that there are far too many AMVs done to popular anime.... but they're popular. The more people who like them, the more people will try to make AMVs to them. It's just the nature of the beast. (Or maybe the nature of the BEAT, heh.)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
thanas
Expert Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by thanas »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=thanas] if have the "one" trigun video that is entered in the contest, it makes the final cut, it's done reasonably well enough for the audience to like it, [color:red]your going to win[/color]. Making sure you make your AMV not be lost out in an crowd is going to become harder and harder every year from now i believe.
[/quote]
Your video being done to a "non-mainstream" anime and well edited are not enough to make it win.
There are a great many factors which go into a "great" video... story-telling, effects (though not necessary), and instilling a sense of FEELING in the crowd are important, as well.
I do agree that there are far too many AMVs done to popular anime.... but they're popular. The more people who like them, the more people will try to make AMVs to them. It's just the nature of the beast. (Or maybe the nature of the BEAT, heh.)
[/quote]
I apogilze, i'll correct that, you'll have an better chance of winning in my opinon. Actually the anime video i did this year was somewhat main stream just so you know i am not talking about my amv that i submitted. perhaps but it's also making your AMV stick out. if you can get it lodged in their brain for an bit, simply for being unique in itself. It really comes down to people liking what ever AMV more but if they can remember it, you won half the battle then the editing/(insert whatever factors) will do the rest and i guess crowd will decide. I never excluded those factors that you said when i was writing my post. I don't believe an AMV is good without those factors but i was assuming at the time that those factors were accounted for and probably should have mentioned that as well in my previous post.

yup it's the nature of the beast. what's really throwing me into an hissy fit is on youtube when they have "slideshows and random pictures" and call it an AMV. >_<
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Entries by the numbers

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=thanas]I apogilze, i'll correct that, you'll have an better chance of winning in my opinon. Actually the anime video i did this year was somewhat main stream just so you know i am not talking about my amv that i submitted. perhaps but it's also making your AMV stick out. if you can get it lodged in their brain for an bit, simply for being unique in itself. [/quote]
I agree on principle. Personally I love unique, artsy videos - but USUALLY the audience is more inclined to vote for an anime they recognize. Example: Tom did an awesome video in, um, 2005 I think it was, in drama. It was to Lain and very dark + creepy, set to a VERY unique song. It was beautiful and I loved it, but of course the "popular" anime won in that category. *cough*
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Entries by the numbers

[quote=thanas]what's really throwing me into an hissy fit is on youtube when they have "slideshows and random pictures" and call it an AMV. >_< [/quote]
Well, there's your first problem, youtube. It takes the bar for what Joe Average (or the ANN Answerman) thinks is good and it digs a hole with a back-hoe and drops the bar in.
thanas
Expert Poster

Entries by the numbers

Post by thanas »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=thanas]I apogilze, i'll correct that, you'll have an better chance of winning in my opinon. Actually the anime video i did this year was somewhat main stream just so you know i am not talking about my amv that i submitted. perhaps but it's also making your AMV stick out. if you can get it lodged in their brain for an bit, simply for being unique in itself. [/quote]
I agree on principle. Personally I love unique, artsy videos - but USUALLY the audience is more inclined to vote for an anime they recognize. Example: Tom did an awesome video in, um, 2005 I think it was, in drama. It was to Lain and very dark + creepy, set to a VERY unique song. It was beautiful and I loved it, but of course the "popular" anime won in that category. *cough*
[/quote]

eh sadly, my first anime Boston was last year. :( yeah that sucks. sometimes it does come down to an popularity contest which is what i hate the most (rather have my AMV won because of the factors then because of popularity) but generally that's why they have the judges awards to even things out an bit.

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=thanas]what's really throwing me into an hissy fit is on youtube when they have "slideshows and random pictures" and call it an AMV. >_< [/quote]
Well, there's your first problem, youtube. It takes the bar for what Joe Average (or the ANN Answerman) thinks is good and it digs a hole with a back-hoe and drops the bar in.[/quote]

LOL, how true. tho i've noticed now there are less and less of the slideshows now, still enough to be noticeable tho. I don't have an really good high speed connection, so i tend to avoid AMV.org unless i really really want an specific video (IE - 2-3 hour download)
PatrickD
AB Staff

Entries by the numbers

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=dokool]That's really impressive for a 'regional' con.[/quote]
At what point, in your opinion, is AB no longer a "regional" convention? In my mind, it's not.

With over 11,000 people, major guests from North America and Japan, consistently in the list of the ten largest anime conventions in North America (#6 in the US), a reputation among guests as being the best convention, and attendees coming in from many states and at least three continents, I'm not convinced it qualifies as "regional" anymore.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Entries by the numbers

[quote=PatrickD][quote=dokool]That's really impressive for a 'regional' con.[/quote]
At what point, in your opinion, is AB no longer a "regional" convention? In my mind, it's not.

With over 11,000 people, major guests from North America and Japan, consistently in the list of the ten largest anime conventions in North America (#6 in the US), a reputation among guests as being the best convention, and attendees coming in from many states and at least three continents, I'm not convinced it qualifies as "regional" anymore.[/quote]
I think he means in terms of AMV submissions. And "regional con" isn't a bad think in that respect. When you cease being a regional con for AMVs everyone automatically thinks it's okay to submit (which by the rules it is okay, but ethical boundaries usually say no). Those will be Awesome Contests with maybe 5% local flavor on the ballot if you're lucky.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Entries by the numbers

Post by dokool »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]I think he means in terms of AMV submissions. And "regional con" isn't a bad think in that respect. When you cease being a regional con for AMVs everyone automatically thinks it's okay to submit (which by the rules it is okay, but ethical boundaries usually say no). Those will be Awesome Contests with maybe 5% local flavor on the ballot if you're lucky.[/quote]

This, more or less. Editors from across the country go to ACen, AX, and Otakon for the AMV Contests. Editors from across the world come to AWA for the VAT contests. Editors from... New England come to Anime Boston.

Again, not saying at all this is a bad thing but it's very much a different dynamic in terms of submissions.