Prescreening Date: March 8, 2008

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

The prescreening date has been set. Mark your calendars accordingly.

That is all.

^_^
Adam Ferraro
Anime Boston 2012 Music Video Contest Coordinator
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

Hmm, a one-day prescreening, which means that either you guys got a maximum of around 100-125 videos or you're gonna need alcohol sometime in thep rocess to get through it all.

On a vaguely related note, when do the Creator's Statements come into play? Are they read at the prescreening or is that afterward?
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

[quote=dokool]Hmm, a one-day prescreening, which means that either you guys got a maximum of around 100-125 videos or you're gonna need alcohol sometime in thep rocess to get through it all.

On a vaguely related note, when do the Creator's Statements come into play? Are they read at the prescreening or is that afterward?[/quote]

We're gonna try and get through it in one day. We start around 11:00am and go for as long as we can. If we need to do the Sunday as well, we will.

And yes, copius amounts of Alcohol are involved. That's part of the fun. ^_^

Creators statements are read during the technical judging, as the panel narrows down the winners.

Adam Ferraro
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Elder_God]And yes, copius amounts of Alcohol are involved. That's part of the fun. ^_^ [/quote]

Awesome, I've been told that I should have included a note on my comedy video to imbibe before viewing, so it's good to know you'll have that covered.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Go Adam! I can't wait to hear the results, and feel for your pain in having to pre-screen that many vids.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
algonzal
Expert Poster

Post by algonzal »

Good Luck Adam. Here's hoping that everything goes relatively smooth.

Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Yeah, exactly how many are there total? 3-5 minutes a video, times 100 = 300-500 minutes of sitting down for that one day.... 5 - 8.33hours of video viewing. Fun. :P

Oh...and theres the Hentai exhibition now too. How many total did you get for that one too?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]Yeah, exactly how many are there total? 3-5 minutes a video, times 100 = 300-500 minutes of sitting down for that one day.... 5 - 8.33hours of video viewing. Fun. :P[/quote]

My only mass-prescreening experience was Otakon 2003 (here's how long ago that was - the prescreeners were on tapes), and we did 75 or so videos in one day and even then we were all kinda going out of our minds. That said, one of the tapes was people who submitted through the FTP or in 'other' formats, which means that the majority of the videos were submitted by people who didn't know how to encode for contests. I still have nightmares about that day.

That said you'd be surprised at how many short videos will be submitted, plus trailers, so if you really pushed it you could do it in an afternoon/night with sufficient breaks, as long as everyone stayed sober, you could. The catch-22 is that you kinda need to drink to sit through that many videos.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

^ Touche. Yeah, I forgot about the trailers and disqualifications. Either way, it is nothing I could ever desire to do.
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

[quote=Elder_God]
And yes, copius amounts of Alcohol are involved. That's part of the fun. ^_^ [/quote]

Lol! :p Good luck!

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]^ Touche. Yeah, I forgot about the trailers and disqualifications. Either way, it is nothing I could ever desire to do.[/quote]

Even considering the trailers, short videos, and disqualifications I'm sure there is still at least 6-8 hours of videos. That's a lot of watching and judging. :o
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=MeliChan923]Even considering the trailers, short videos, and disqualifications I'm sure there is still at least 6-8 hours of videos. That's a lot of watching and judging. :o [/quote]

Totally. Like said, there are the Hentai videos he has to watch too, which I am sure Adam will enjoy every minute of. :D

....Normally, I have a hard enough time sitting still to watch a movie, let alone a few hours of AMVs.
ZelosWilder
Experienced Poster

Post by ZelosWilder »

Yeah I know that side of you all to well, Yukito.

Way to tease Adam. :P

Anyway *marks his calendar* I think I could stand a couple hours of AMVs (wait I do every year :P) but THAT much may be a bit much for me :P in one sitting anyway.
Hinano
Experienced Poster

Post by Hinano »

[quote=Elder_God] And yes, copius amounts of Alcohol are involved. That's part of the fun. ^_^

[/quote]

That's good! I think my video is better viewed drunk! :P
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

W00t, something else to look forward to :D I have to say, March of this year is the most exciting for me. (I also am going to find out shortly whether I got into a young writers conference thingy) Then, AB itself :D

And my vids won't get immeditaly disqualified this year, because I'm not longer an idiot. xDDD
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Chaobunny]And my vids won't get immeditaly disqualified this year, because I'm not longer an idiot. xDDD[/quote]

;)
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Oh my that was not intentional xD

*feels like an idiot again*

I'm counting down the days until the finalists are chosen, I'm really excited :D

And I wish I could get a job watching AMVs all day long. That would be awesome :3 :cool:
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
ElitePirateUpsilon
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ElitePirateUpsilon »

Be careful what you wish for...
Mewohkie
Expert Poster

Post by Mewohkie »

Will whoever are chosen as finalist be notified?
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Mewohkie]Will whoever are chosen as finalist be notified?[/quote]

Usually, yes...

[quote=FAQ]
When will you announce the results?
We will not announce finalist videos until the Thursday before the convention.[/quote]
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=Mewohkie]Will whoever are chosen as finalist be notified?[/quote]

Usually, yes...

[quote=FAQ]
We will not announce finalist videos until the Thursday before the convention.[/quote][/quote]
Wrong quote I think. Emails usually get sent out to the people that made it in. That general announcement that will happen on the Thursday before the con is the full contest ballot (they have to put it in the bags at pre-reg pickup, now don't they?).
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=Kiarrens][quote=Mewohkie]Will whoever are chosen as finalist be notified?[/quote]

Usually, yes...

[quote=FAQ]
We will not announce finalist videos until the Thursday before the convention.[/quote][/quote]
Wrong quote I think. Emails usually get sent out to the people that made it in. That general announcement that will happen on the Thursday before the con is the full contest ballot (they have to put it in the bags at pre-reg pickup, now don't they?).[/quote]

That's a holdover. What I've done the past few years is email the finalists after their video has been chosen, and then we will distribute ballots at the AMV showing itself as people walk in, and collect them when they leave.
Adam Ferraro
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Elder_God]That's a holdover. What I've done the past few years is email the finalists after their video has been chosen, and then we will distribute ballots at the AMV showing itself as people walk in, and collect them when they leave.
[/quote]

Will pencils also be distributed? I don't recall if they've been in past years, but it'd be nice to get the ballot totals up.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=dokool][quote=Elder_God]That's a holdover. What I've done the past few years is email the finalists after their video has been chosen, and then we will distribute ballots at the AMV showing itself as people walk in, and collect them when they leave.
[/quote]

Will pencils also be distributed? I don't recall if they've been in past years, but it'd be nice to get the ballot totals up.[/quote]

If they were, I sure don't remember. That is one thing I remember not liking was the lack of pencils where needed at the con. I will have to remember to bring one.
nightwalker
Veteran Poster

Post by nightwalker »

hope u guys drink a LOT of coffee!
Do You LIKE Me?
Or do you think I'm DEVIANT? ;)
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

[quote=dokool][quote=Elder_God]That's a holdover. What I've done the past few years is email the finalists after their video has been chosen, and then we will distribute ballots at the AMV showing itself as people walk in, and collect them when they leave.
[/quote]

Will pencils also be distributed? I don't recall if they've been in past years, but it'd be nice to get the ballot totals up.[/quote]

I hadn't planned on distributing pencils. That's be an awful lot of pencils and most wouldn't come back.

It's a trade off. Stuff them in the reg bags, and most people won't bother to vote. Pass them out and collect them at the door, the vote totals shoot WAY up, but some people will not have pencils and will have to borrow from friends.
Adam Ferraro
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

Just get boxes of golf pencils, they can't be that expensive, can they? Or hand'm out to every 3rd person or something. I think if people have pencils in their hand when they have a ballot they're more likely to vote than anything.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Then there'd be the pencils that wind up all over the floor, someone falls and breaks their neck, etc. etc. @_@ But I do agree pencils would help with the vote count.

Hmmm...you could redesign and perforate the ballots so people just tear off their favorites and then drop the little slips of paper in the ballot box when they leave. It would be easy to ignore ballots that weren't little slips of paper (vs. taking the time to figure out someone's pencil antics) and easy for people to carry them to the door - I'm usually clutching so much stuff that keeping my ballot ready for drop off is a slight challenge, nevermind with a huge crowd of costumed folks shoving me around. You could even go crazy and color code them somehow so it would be a no-brainer to sort them out by category. Might approach pencil expense, though...

Finding a printer than can custom perforate cheaply on short notice might be a bit difficult, of course. hehe
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=DriftRoot]Then there'd be the pencils that wind up all over the floor, someone falls and breaks their neck, etc. etc. @_@ But I do agree pencils would help with the vote count.

Hmmm...you could redesign and perforate the ballots so people just tear off their favorites and then drop the little slips of paper in the ballot box when they leave. It would be easy to ignore ballots that weren't little slips of paper (vs. taking the time to figure out someone's pencil antics) and easy for people to carry them to the door - I'm usually clutching so much stuff that keeping my ballot ready for drop off is a slight challenge, nevermind with a huge crowd of costumed folks shoving me around. You could even go crazy and color code them somehow so it would be a no-brainer to sort them out by category. Might approach pencil expense, though...

Finding a printer than can custom perforate cheaply on short notice might be a bit difficult, of course. hehe [/quote]

Because hanging chads are exactly what AMV contests need. *facepalm*
ElitePirateUpsilon
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ElitePirateUpsilon »

Golf Card pencils perhaps? Small, dirt cheap, easy to buy in bulk, expendable..
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

[quote=dokool]
[/quote]

AHAHAHA!! I KNEW you were going to say that!!! :p

I was going to say it myself, but it's much, much more amusing if someone else does. :D
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=DriftRoot][quote=dokool]
[/quote]

I was going to say it myself, but it's much, much more amusing if someone else does. :D [/quote]

I actually spent 5 minutes considering whether or not your suggestion was actually serious but knowing you it sounded like something you could actually believe would be feasible in the face of all common logic.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

[quote=dokool][quote=DriftRoot][quote=dokool]
[/quote]

I was going to say it myself, but it's much, much more amusing if someone else does. :D [/quote]

I actually spent 5 minutes considering whether or not your suggestion was actually serious but knowing you it sounded like something you could actually believe would be feasible in the face of all common logic.[/quote]

Guess this proves you don't know me as well as you think you do, eh? :P I have no problem coming up with outrageously outside-of-the-box ideas and airing them publicly, it gets the creative juices flowing. Besides, if I had been serious, you know I'd be haranguing you about the fantastic properties of perforated paper right now. lol

I was also going to throw out an Applause-o-Meter, a "Millionaire" type of electronic audience voting device and the concept of giving each audience row one writing instrument and making everyone share...but that would have completely blown my cover. ;)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=DriftRoot]I was also going to throw out an Applause-o-Meter, a "Millionaire" type of electronic audience voting device and the concept of giving each audience row one writing instrument and making everyone share...but that would have completely blown my cover. ;) [/quote]

AB penny-pinches enough that I could see them handing out pencils to every 3-4 people to save cash.

And remember, applause meters have been used in the past (mostly at AX, I believe), to disastrous results.
Robin291
Veteran Poster

Post by Robin291 »

My past AMV voting experiances have been pens stolen from our hotel rooms and dragged down to the contest. normally shared between 2 to 6 people{at Otakon it was me, my two friends, and three people we didn't know}
So remember, throwing the hotels pin in your registration bag might save you come contest time.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

I usually always carry some sort of pen or pencil with me at all times, but I know from experience that even having to ask someone for a writing implement is often too much effort for some people. We had several boxes of pens @ AAC this year and a much smaller audience and people still handed in blank sheets because they couldn't wait 2 minutes for someone to be done with a pen.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

[quote=Robin291]My past AMV voting experiances have been pens stolen from our hotel rooms and dragged down to the contest. normally shared between 2 to 6 people{at Otakon it was me, my two friends, and three people we didn't know}
So remember, throwing the hotels pin in your registration bag might save you come contest time. [/quote]

It had crossed my mind that making some kind of pen an official part of the Con grab bag might be a solution (and I'm not joking around this time.) I'm fairly sure people would be more careful with an AB pen than a cheap little golf pencil. Who knows, maybe some company would even be willing to sponsor the pen - make it a promo item. Way too late for this year, of course.

The main problem with an official pen serving as a solution to AMV balloting is that not everyone carries around their con bag 24/7. Giving out pens would still dramatically increase the sheer number of writing instruments floating around, though. :)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Either that or we can just not let people out of main events unless they fill out a ballot and stick it in the box. }:| Bwahahaha
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

[quote=Kiarrens]Either that or we can just not let people out of main events unless they fill out a ballot and stick it in the box. }:| Bwahahaha[/quote]

I think it'd make hanging chads look like the best idea EVAR. :D
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Well, by now the vids have most likely all been watched. I'm excited, and hopeful that Adam will send out finalist confirmation emails in the near future!
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

Robin291
Veteran Poster

Post by Robin291 »

hahahaha scary, but effective^^; I vote no matter what every contest but it might get people to vote. then again, the room would clear out slow and the next event might grow claws and eat us. O.O eee your right, the amv's should all be watched. once Adam gets his sanity back, the e-mails should be out.