Useig font/text in AMV?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
xMeowmeg
Getting the hang of this...

Useig font/text in AMV?

Post by xMeowmeg »

Hey guys! so I've attended some previous convetions and seen some of the winnng amv's online and I have noticed that no one seems to be useing text or font for there amvs I'm a big editor myself and always like to make effects useing the lryics of a song and just was curious If that was alowed? :]
~

Cosplays for 2014: Kingdom hearts [Sora], Attack on titan [Eren, Annie]
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Re: Useig font/text in AMV?

Post by Elli21486 »

When I see font/text, I think of Pixel Blended's "So In Sync" or Chiikaboom's "Attack of the Otaku." Seeing Lyrics, I think of, "So In Sync" pops to my mind again. I think it can be done if it is artistically done. Would check with people who do AMV's though.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

As an AMV watcher, text and fonts can be easy to do. But they're hard to do right. There has to be a real purpose to them.

Looking at "Attack of the Otaku" and "So In Sync", those AMVs are set up as lip-syncing songs. It's portraying the characters as singing the songs themselves. In that case, adding lyrics makes it a quasi sing-along-song. But notice that the words they add don't take away the focus from the main AMV content. They're using the words for a specific purpose, but it's not the main attraction.

Another use is when doing a fake-sub of what people are saying. Usually used with Japanese audio to change what's being interpreted while still having characters speak. A third may be to use it lightly to set a setting or tone of an AMV telling a story. Think the opening roll of Star Wars movies. They tell you what's going on in the beginning, but then they're gone and the video shows the rest.

However, more often than not we see text added to AMVs that wasn't necessary in the first place. If it's not helping your video, it's hurting. If your AMV is a drama about feeling alone and abandoned, then don't put in text "Alone." "Sad." "Depressed."; the video itself should be able to adequately portray those feelings. If it doesn't, no amount of text will help it. Similarly, if you're putting in the lyrics of a song, and it's not a sing-along, it distracts from your video's content.

TLDR: Less is more. Use text sparingly and as a means to support your audio and video. It should never be the main focus of your AMV. Otherwise it'd be called a Power Point Presentation.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Two years ago, 1337meatwad had a great one with the Panty and Stocking video. I still to this day am amazed at how well the lyrics he put into it flowed with the animation of P&S. I got to learn that.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

If you're skilled at it, then sure, knock yourself out. Most people can't use text well and it makes their stuff look terrible as a result. I'd also be mindful if you're going full kenetic typography mode, you risk sliding past the 25% non-anime maximum.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

You know, I completely forgot about this but a few years back, there was a submission called "Hetaria Sing-A-Wrong." That may be inline to what you want to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mjwqfPBtA
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked