2013 AMV feedback

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Halloween Kitsune
Expert Poster

2013 AMV feedback

Post by Halloween Kitsune »

Ok, not to sound like a total idiot but...the winner of Best Other. What the heck were those animes?.....
Last edited by kiarrens on Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split these posts off from the old AMV feedback thread and stickied it
2020: Bowsette/Senko-san
2019: Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya
2018: Lady Sephiroth
2017: Smash Brothers Brawl Dark Zelda

Past Cosplays:
2016: LoL Ahri
2015: FF14 Miqo'te Bard
2014: Twilight Princess Link
2013: Chell (Portal 2)/Kat (DMC)
2012: Chell (Portal 2)
2011: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara)/ Black Rock Shooter
2010: Cloud (Advent Children)
2009: KH2 Roxas

Owner and master of Fox and Bear Cosplay:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/FoxandBearCosplay
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: AMV feedback

Post by LantisEscudo »

Shinobi Kitsune wrote:Ok, not to sound like a total idiot but...the winner of Best Other. What the heck were those animes?.....
This is the feedback thread from last year, just so you know. :)

But to answer your question (and to point you toward where you can find more answers to similar questions), in the Ballot and Winners thread, there's a link to most of the videos' pages on A-M-V.org, which list all the sources used. Infinite Darkness used Natsume's Book of Friends, Another, and Kanon 2006 as sources.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
ModifierMR
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ModifierMR »

This years AMV's did not seem as good as last year. Many videos I found, in my opinion were mis-catagorized. The comedy section this year absolutely sucked because none of the AMV's were funny. They should have been in the "other" category.

All of the winners that were selected I feel were indeed the best of the lot.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

ModifierMR wrote:This years AMV's did not seem as good as last year. Many videos I found, in my opinion were mis-catagorized. The comedy section this year absolutely sucked because none of the AMV's were funny. They should have been in the "other" category.

Personally, I felt "Les Poissons," and "Gay Fish" were in the right category. "Call Me MayBuu" was just incredibly awkward
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Re: 2013 AMV feedback

Post by Shiroikami »

With only a couple of exceptions, I thought this year's submissions were really amazing. I had a very difficult time choosing just one video in almost every single category.

This is the quality that I love to see. Except for those two videos that were cringe-y... although one of those was still very well made (7 Days, I'm looking at you *shudders*), creepy as hell, but still very well made.

Congrats to all!
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

Post by drewaconclusion »

Shiroikami wrote:(7 Days, I'm looking at you *shudders*), creepy as hell, but still very well made.
That was mine. It's supposed to be creepy as hell.
Best Editing 2019 - Pachyderm Panic
Romance Finalist 2018 - D'awwww Wagon
Trailer Finalist 2016 - Xenomorph
Comedy Finalist 2015 - Rainbow Stalin Saves the World
Upbeat Finalist 2015 - My Nipples Can Pierce the Heavens
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

drewaconclusion wrote:
Shiroikami wrote:(7 Days, I'm looking at you *shudders*), creepy as hell, but still very well made.
I saw your name on the ballot and squee'd, you're one of my favorite editors (I'm the one from AAC that kept riding you to upload Kount Krausula :P), and that video was just.... bwah, my ears ;A; Well-edited, but ear violation!
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

RapaxGuardian wrote:that video was just.... bwah, my ears ;A; Well-edited, but ear violation!
Heh, that's just how the original audio is.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

RapaxGuardian wrote:
ModifierMR wrote:This years AMV's did not seem as good as last year. Many videos I found, in my opinion were mis-catagorized. The comedy section this year absolutely sucked because none of the AMV's were funny. They should have been in the "other" category.

Personally, I felt "Les Poissons," and "Gay Fish" were in the right category. "Call Me MayBuu" was just incredibly awkward

I felt the same exact way. Those two were the only ones I felt that worked in comedy, but I also didn't laugh to anything. Maybe it's about time I take another stab at comedy. I am so good with it IRL, but putting it in video form is one hell of a task.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

drewaconclusion wrote:
...Drew. Your avatar. You're just doing it to mess with me now, aren't you?

Btw I voted for you in Other. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Thalirin
Expert Poster

Post by Thalirin »

Yeah, I agree: "7 Days" was super-creepy but incredibly well-done. Props. :)

The winners of Comedy and Upbeat probably should have switched categories. As for Call Me Maybuu, I don't even know what people were thinking. I agree, it was just awkward. o_O
AB 2011 - Sync the Tempest (Tales of the Abyss), Kratos Aurion: Judgment (Tales of Symphonia)
AB 2012 - Kratos Aurion: Judgment (ToS), Jack Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
AB 2013 - Jack Vessalius, Roy Mustang: Formal Version (Full Metal Alchemist)
AB 2015 - Milla Maxwell (Tales of Xillia 2)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

About "Call me Maybuu", I heard about 5 people behind me saying "Why is this even in comedy? Sure, nut shots might be funny if you are 13."

I dunno though. I heard laughter, but none of it was from people in my area of the audience.
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

Kiarrens wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
...Drew. Your avatar. You're just doing it to mess with me now, aren't you?
Not specifically you, just those saying they were creeped out by my video.
Kiarrens wrote:Btw I voted for you in Other. :)
I know. You showed me right where you wrote "I HATE DREW" instead of marking it with a check.
Thalirin wrote:Yeah, I agree: "7 Days" was super-creepy but incredibly well-done. Props. :)
Thank you
Thalirin wrote:As for Call Me Maybuu, I don't even know what people were thinking. I agree, it was just awkward. o_O
Well, it's a very obvious troll; should be pretty evident what the thoughts behind it were.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

idk - the constant stream of feedback I'm getting is a resounding "hysterical" elsewhere.

I'm gonna be over here hating myself for posting that now...
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

drewaconclusion wrote:
You succeeded there 100%. I was... actually afraid to vote for it. Like, legitimately terrified. Please tell me we're not all going to die in *checks date* four days. o.O
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

Shiroikami wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
You succeeded there 100%. I was... actually afraid to vote for it. Like, legitimately terrified. Please tell me we're not all going to die in *checks date* four days. o.O
I've seen it about fifteen times over the last six weeks. I think you're safe. :)
Mike Montanye
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

LantisEscudo wrote:
Shiroikami wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
I've seen it about fifteen times over the last six weeks. I think you're safe. :)
I think you're a zombie.
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

Shiroikami wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
Check your voicemail lately...?
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

RapaxGuardian wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
I saw your name on the ballot and squee'd, you're one of my favorite editors (I'm the one from AAC that kept riding you to upload Kount Krausula :P), and that video was just.... bwah, my ears ;A; Well-edited, but ear violation!
I learned my lesson from having seen it at AAC. I had my ears covered from the beginning, but I still forgot that last screech at the end. >< lol Still a great video, just not much rewatch value for that reason alone. :P I voted for the Natsume one, Brian voted for 7 Days because he thought "it'd be funny for it to be played at Masquerade."

I felt the contest was about the same as last year. Though I felt that action was probably the weakest category. I voted for the Eva one, but only because it was the least bad. It was a good, solid video, just did not appeal to me personally much. I explained to Songbird that I loved her Soul Eater video, but the second half of it was not as strong as the first half. Of course, in comedy, my favorite was Hamstar's Higurashi video. At the showing, it definitely had the most amount of laughs, so I was really surprised it didn't win. :/ I think I chuckled a couple times during the Madoka one (sorry Basher), just not my taste, I guess.

This will be mean to say, but I was honestly very disappointed with best in show. It isn't even so much that the video was a fan-pandering (if that is the right word) video, but it was also not up to Warlike-standards and I love Warlike videos (as if me being a total fangirl doesn't make that obvious). :( I was excited at the beginning of the video, had a good laugh, and was expecting a quite awesome, funny parody, but then found it boring after the first 15ish seconds. Sorry for being harsh, but it is honestly how I felt while watching it. On a positive note, Gay Fish was my second favorite video in comedy!
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Chairman Miaow
AB Staff

Post by Chairman Miaow »

drewaconclusion wrote:
Thalirin wrote:As for Call Me Maybuu, I don't even know what people were thinking. I agree, it was just awkward. o_O
Well, it's a very obvious troll; should be pretty evident what the thoughts behind it were.
Call Me Maybuu can be considered a warning to all amv artists who should ever attempt to troll the pre-screenings again. Glob as my witness, we will troll 1800 people just to get back at one person. The other 1799 of you were regrettably just collateral damage. Such is our resolve.
Matt Miller (It's pronounced as one word)
Assistant Director of Guest Relations 2017 - present
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

Chairman Miaow wrote:Call Me Maybuu can be considered a warning to all amv artists who should ever attempt to troll the pre-screenings again.
Well, looks like I might as well retire :roll:
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Chairman Miaow wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
Call Me Maybuu can be considered a warning to all amv artists... Don't trust us to make legit decisions - in fact don't bother to submit at all, because we value a cheap joke more than the effort you put in to the stuff you send us.
FTFY ('cause that's all that the vast majority of people submitting that don't come on these forums will see it as)
JupiterAscending16
Expert Poster

Post by JupiterAscending16 »

First of I would like to congraulate all of the winners, you all did a wonderful job!

Second, I thought this year's AMV contest was great! There were some excellent AMV's (especially Kiarrens :-D )and it was really hard to choose a winner in some of the catergories. There was one AMV though that I really didn't understand the point of and it was Call Me Maybuu. Did anyone else understand the meaning behind it?

Bashar of the Ages: Loved your AMV as well I have the Pokemon song stuck in my head LOL great fun and very entertaining :-)
Holly Medeiros

Event Photography Staff AnimeBoston 2022

Celebrating 15 years of attending AnimeBoston!
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

GlaDosLovestoTEST wrote:There was one AMV though that I really didn't understand the point of and it was Call Me Maybuu. Did anyone else understand the meaning behind it?
It was a troll video and we were all collateral damage ;A;
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

RapaxGuardian wrote:

Well despite me losing, I did hear great laughter with my Les Poissons AMV. ^_^ So I am content and happy to make other laugh to it, wether comfortable or not. :D
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

hamstar138 wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

Well despite me losing, I did hear great laughter with my Les Poissons AMV. ^_^ So I am content and happy to make other laugh to it, wether comfortable or not. :D
Bravo, Hamstar! I had turned to my friend and even asked, "How do you make a comedy out of Higurashi??" and then you surprised me and I loved every moment! :D You got my friend and I's votes!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

RapaxGuardian wrote:
hamstar138 wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

Bravo, Hamstar! I had turned to my friend and even asked, "How do you make a comedy out of Higurashi??" and then you surprised me and I loved every moment! :D You got my friend and I's votes!

There was actually a Higurashi comedy video a few years ago to the "Ferrets" youtube video.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:
hamstar138 wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

There was actually a Higurashi comedy video a few years ago to the "Ferrets" youtube video.
Is everyone forgetting Al's Higurashi video? Really? Get out of here, you're all fired.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

dokool wrote: Is everyone forgetting Al's Higurashi video? Really? Get out of here, you're all fired.
You're not happy enough!

Hamstar, your video was excellent, I loved it. It was the only video that actually made me laugh in comedy. Well done!
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Kiarrens wrote:
dokool wrote: Is everyone forgetting Al's Higurashi video? Really? Get out of here, you're all fired.
You're not happy enough!

Hamstar, your video was excellent, I loved it. It was the only video that actually made me laugh in comedy. Well done!
:cry:
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

BasharOfTheAges wrote: :cry:
Yours was more... disturbing-funny than laugh-out-loud-funny. But we've known for a long time that you and I have very different senses of humor. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8vfqG-sJY >>>>>>>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scy7-CIj9Pc
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Shiroikami wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
I think you're a zombie.
While I do desire brains, it's more a wish for people to use them, rather than to eat them. :)
Mike Montanye
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

LantisEscudo wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Shiroikami wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
I think you're a zombie.
While I do desire brains, it's more a wish for people to use them, rather than to eat them. :)
So you say...
tobiinpajamas
Determined Poster

Post by tobiinpajamas »

Chairman Miaow wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
Call Me Maybuu can be considered a warning to all amv artists who should ever attempt to troll the pre-screenings again. Glob as my witness, we will troll 1800 people just to get back at one person. The other 1799 of you were regrettably just collateral damage. Such is our resolve.
I'm sorry, this was just stupid. Dokool's troll was legitimately funny. This was not and it did not deserve to make the cut to finals.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the contest this year. Drama and Action were so fantastic that I couldn't predict what was going to win. Other was also very good, and I enjoyed a few of the romance ones (much better than romance last year. Romance seems to be lacking in recent years. I may go for a romance entry next year). But overall, great contest. And like I said this at the editor's choice meeting, I really liked the addition of the summary section at the end of each category.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Ugh, wish I'd seen the contest. I am making a list, however, of all the AMVs which made the finals and am putting it in my "to do" bucket to watch.
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
JupiterAscending16
Expert Poster

Post by JupiterAscending16 »

Bashar of the Ages my apologies I goofed up your AMV with the person you did the Pokemon theme song to Bleach. I loved magic and that cat is sooo cute but sooo evil :-) lyndsey said that AL had a video in the contest this year? What was his video? Thanks!
Holly Medeiros

Event Photography Staff AnimeBoston 2022

Celebrating 15 years of attending AnimeBoston!
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

GlaDosLovestoTEST wrote:Bashar of the Ages my apologies I goofed up your AMV with the person you did the Pokemon theme song to Bleach. I loved magic and that cat is sooo cute but sooo evil :-) lyndsey said that AL had a video in the contest this year? What was his video? Thanks!
He did not, I was mistaken. Thought he'd submitted but he didn't.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

hamstar138 wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:

"Hee hee hee hoo hoo hoo" Yea, that part had the entire room laughing. As for the contest, I was actually surprised your Les Poisson didn't win Comedy.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked