formatting/size help for a newbie?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

formatting/size help for a newbie?

Post by Sakura-chan »

Hi there! I was wondering if you veterans knew any good websites or tutorials about amv formatting or "re-sizing" video. I have made a few aMvs before and know quite a bit about editing and such, but I eventually want to submit my work into an AMv contest,and I know that most of them require submitted AMvs to be in a certain format and size, so I figure I had better learn these things. xD
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: formatting/size help for a newbie?

Post by LantisEscudo »

The requirements for submitting to conventions vary from con to con and change as time goes on (we're not submitting on VHS tapes any more, for example :) ).

Your best bet is to export from your editing program as an uncompressed or lossless AVI file (HuffYUV, Lagarith, and UTVideo are all good lossless codecs to use) at the highest quality you can, and to encode copies from that master file to send to conventions.

Personally, I usually do my resizing in AviSynth, which is a simple text script interpreter for video manipulation, and use Zarx264GUI to do my encodes.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Thank you so much! Can you tell me a little more about exporting the master file encoding the copies? Is there a specific program I will need to encode things? Sorry for my dumb questions...I havent done anything with my AMVs other than let them sit on my computer..xD
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

Reading the guides at animemusicvideos.org, especially this one is probably your best resource for getting started. You can skip most of the theory guides; they're really good for background information and understanding why things are done the way they are, but they're not necessary if all you want to do is edit and share videos.

You should probably read everything from the "Producing your AMV..." header on. They're pretty quick reads, and if you've still got questions afterward, ask here or in the forums on the Org and we'll see about getting them answered.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

Thank you very much! I will go do some reading. Hopefully I won't have to pester yoy guys again. :p
Dragonrider1227
Expert Poster

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

Don't feel bad. You're not the only one trying to feel your way around all of this XD
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need