Idol Showcase 2023

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Idol Showcase 2023

Post by Cosmic Lune »

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and a very happy New Year! I come bearing this (semi-belated) post regarding Anime Boston's annual ImageIdol ShowcaseImage for 2023!

For those who may not know me, I'm Roo! I've been on the Idol Showcase team at Anime Boston since 2019, but this year I will be stepping up as the primary Idol Showcase Coordinator. Please refer to this thread for additional information regarding this year's Idol Showcase, and feel free to reply with any questions or concerns you may have for the event going forward.
Anime Boston's Idol Showcase: Overview
The Idol Showcase is a one day event held at Anime Boston each year that provides cosplay + dance-centric idol groups a chance to perform an original or covered song(s) of their choosing. As the title suggests, this event is an opportunity for individuals and groups of all experience levels, from new debuts to seasoned groups, to showcase their idol charisma and celebrate our community and appreciation for all things idol. Each accepted performance will be given either a 4 or 5 minute maximum time slot (dependent on the number of group members) during which the selected song/mashup of songs will be played for the participant to perform their corresponding choreography live on stage.

The Idol Showcase is not a judged competition. Instead, our event gives idol performers a platform to shine bright on the main stage and exhibit their dance skills, cosplays, and idol charm alongside a passionate, ever-growing community!

* ( Note: As per Anime Boston rule of thumb, the Idol Showcase consists of performances derivative of Japanese idol anime, mobile/video games, or manga series. K-pop and other non-Japanese entries will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but are not generally accepted. )

Requirements: Cosplay
Unlike the Masquerade, costumes for the Idol Showcase do not need to be handmade. While cosplay is required for acceptance into the Idol Showcase, the inspiration behind the Idol Showcase is heavily focused on performance over craftsmanship. That doesn't go to say that homemade costumes are discouraged, applicants with handmade costumes are more than welcome to apply. However, entries will be evaluated with a focus on performance capability and energy rather than costume quality.
  • While cosplays of official outfits/canon character designs are amongst the greater majority of our show, custom designs and original idols are also permitted.
  • Cosplay is not a requirement for auditions. However, when possible and preferred, participants are encouraged to record their audition videos in their performance-specific costumes, even if only certain elements of the cosplays are accessible at the time of recording (wigs, shoes, partial cosplays, etc.).
Requirements: Songs
Each performance will be allowed no more than 4 minutes for groups of 5 members or less. Groups with 6 or more members will be permitted a time slot of no more than 5 minutes. Applications must contain a working MP3 file of the song you have chosen to perform that is already cut down (if necessary) in order to meet the time limit corresponding to the number of members in your application.
  • While pre-existing songs from official idol series are preferred, original songs and personal covers are allowed. However, with our current setup and technological accessibility, original songs and self-covers will be evaluated more thoroughly, and may only be accepted if the production quality of the song is indistinguishable from that of our other professionally recorded participant-selected songs.
  • Live singing is not supported by the Idol Showcase at this time. All performances may only utilize songs that have been pre-recorded and approved by staff. If you are interested in singing live, please check out out our brand new Cosplay Singer event!
  • The MP3 file of the song uploaded with your application MUST be the song you intend to perform on stage. Assembly of our lineup takes time, and we cannot accept song swaps/significant changes of song length after applications close.
  • Please make sure to download/upload the song used in your application at it's best quality. By default, this file will be what we play over the auditorium speakers for your performance. Do not add any heavy audio filters, and when necessary, please export your audio file at the highest possible quality. Tip: Try listening to the song file both with headphones and over your speaker/on multiple devices to ensure there are no notable quality issues!
Requirements: Audition Video
Applications must include an audition video for consideration. Audition videos do not need to contain all group members in cosplay, but the more complete and polished the video is, the better it will be received.
  • Audition video MUST contain the song/choreography the participant intends to perform at the Idol Showcase in the event of acceptance.
  • Videos should be raw and uncut. While videos with one or numerous mid-audition cuts will not result in automatic disqualification, we strongly advise against cutting or editing audition videos.
  • For large groups, it is not required for all members of the performance to be in the audition video. However, again, the more members that will be in the in the performance that are present in the audition video, the better the application will be received and the greater the chances are of acceptance.
  • Audition video may be a direct upload or a link to the video file via Google Drive.

APPLICATION DEADLINE:
Applications for the Idol Showcase 2023 will be open from January 1st to March 1st of 2023. All applicants will be able to edit/update their application through Cosplay HQ until March 1st at 11:59 PM. Please make sure that your application contains all the necessary requirements/accurate information by then.

Looking forward to our best Idol Showcase yet, here's to the year of the idols! Ganba! Image
Last edited by Cosmic Lune on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Idol Showcase Coordinator
Anime Boston 20192024
Twitter | IG | Tumblr | YT
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

ғʀɪᴅᴀʏ: Kuchiki Rukia (Bankai) - Bleach
sᴀᴛᴜʀᴅᴀʏ: Settsu Banri (6th Anniv.) - A3!
sᴜɴᴅᴀʏ: Baji Keisuke - Tokyo Revengers
littlestarcha
I'm new!

Re: Idol Showcase 2023

Post by littlestarcha »

Hello! I have a few questions regarding sending an application for Idol Showcase. I was redirected here!

1) Where do we put our audition video? On the application, there is no video file upload or indication of where to put an audition, (such as a previous performance) but there is a place to upload a file of the music we wish to use. Am I linking our audition somewhere in the boxes to fill out information, or will the form be updated?

2) The A/V file upload spot says to put the music, but says video /music. Are we supposed to be making a video background visual for our performance from now on the application, or just audio? If this is the final audio submission, should we only be sending 1 song as a group of 2?

3) Music / performances are stated to be on a first come, first serve, with a song choice preference listed. My duo wishes to perform 2 songs, about 2 minutes 20 seconds each, but should I only be applying with the 1 song we would prioritize, or sending an audio with both songs? I know on the app that people less than 5 can only do 4 minutes max, is that strictly being upheld for all groups?

4) When would accepted applicants hear back soonest so that they can prep for performing in April?

5) What day does the idol showcase take place, and does it clash with masquerade?

If you could please answer my questions as soon as possible, we’d really appreciate it! I want to send an app but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thank you!!
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Hello! I'm the Assistant Coordinator for the Idol Showcase. While some of these are best answered by Roo, in the mean time, here's a few answers to some of your questions:
littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 1) Where do we put our audition video?
Unfortunately, the way the website works for these applications, we can only have one file attached to an application. You can either opt to upload the video somewhere privately and provide us a link in the "other info" section, or you can put it in the "A/V" file upload temporarily. After submissions are accepted/waitlisted, we will ask for extra files like .mp3, and background A/V via email.
littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 2) The A/V file upload spot says to put the music, but says video /music. Are we supposed to be making a video background visual for our performance from now on the application, or just audio?
Video background or still visuals are completely optional for your performance. This was something we weren't able to offer last year but are looking to give people the option this year for that extra level of performance some were looking to do. I hope my answer to the first question helps answer other parts of this question.
littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 3) Music / performances are stated to be on a first come, first serve, with a song choice preference listed. My duo wishes to perform 2 songs, about 2 minutes 20 seconds each, but should I only be applying with the 1 song we would prioritize, or sending an audio with both songs? I know on the app that people less than 5 can only do 4 minutes max, is that strictly being upheld for all groups?
We allow for multi-song performances but have to be compiled into one .mp3 file for tech, and our maximum time limits are final, we cannot make exceptions. If you're able to make the multi-song fit the limit, you can detail the two songs together in the "Performance Description" section of the application. The first come, first serve for song choices however may effect one of the songs if someone else applied with the same one earlier than you. This is a bit of a special case and we do our best to communicate issues like this before applications are fully closed to give you the chance to make edits if needed.
littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 4) When would accepted applicants hear back soonest so that they can prep for performing in April?

We aim to notify applicants of their application status approximately a week after the applications close to give you all the most time to best prep your performances.

This last question is one that I'm not 100% aware of and Roo should be able to give a better answer on, but Idol Showcase has never conflicted with Masquerade in the past and I believe it won't again this year. Roo may also be able to better clarify some of my answers if I missed details.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

Hi there, we'd be happy to help clarify any outstanding questions you may have! Lux covered the majority of the points you brought up, but just to add on some addition notes:
littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 1) Where do we put our audition video?
As Lux said, at this time the portal only allows for one file upload per application. However, links to either a song MP3 file or audition video may be provided in the "Other Info" section of the application. So long as the song is clearly audible in the audition video, the video is the most important component of your application. In the event that we only receive one file in your application (with no additional links in the "Other Info" section) by March 1st, as long we have your audition video, we will still consider your application for acceptance. When necessary, we will reach out to you via email to obtain any additional song files/further information.

littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 2) The A/V file upload spot says to put the music, but says video /music. Are we supposed to be making a video background visual for our performance from now on the application, or just audio? If this is the final audio submission, should we only be sending 1 song as a group of 2?
Visual backgrounds are not expected of applications, but if you have one available at the time of submission that you'd like to potentially have displayed during your performance, you're welcome to attach it as an additional link to the "Other Info" section. This is something we're working on adding as an option for participants of the Idol Showcase, but it isn't a guarantee for this year. Updates on this feature will be communicated via email to all participants, who at that point will have the option to provide a video file for a visual background after applications close.

littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 3) Music / performances are stated to be on a first come, first serve, with a song choice preference listed. My duo wishes to perform 2 songs, about 2 minutes 20 seconds each, but should I only be applying with the 1 song we would prioritize, or sending an audio with both songs? I know on the app that people less than 5 can only do 4 minutes max, is that strictly being upheld for all groups?
Due to the significant interest in participating in the Idol Showcase and the number of performances we have had in past years, unfortunately we don't have the ability to be flexible in regard to time limitations per group. We usually run a very tight show and aim to include as many performances as possible, which is why the limits of 4 and 5 minutes per group are enforced. However, you are more than welcome to cut your songs down/mix them together yourself in order to meet the timeframe limitations! As Lux mentioned, your full performance must be compiled into one MP3 file, whether that be a singular song or a mix of songs, that does not exceed the time limit for your group by the time applications close.

* Note: Also, just to clarify, applications are not accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis. All applications will be evaluated based on a variety of factors, including execution of the audition video. The "first-come-first-serve" review method is only used in instances where multiple groups apply with the same first choice song. In this scenario, assuming both/all applications with the same first choice song meet the application qualifications, the first group to apply will be given priority of the song. The other groups will be considered for the backup song of their choosing.

littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 4) When would accepted applicants hear back soonest so that they can prep for performing in April?
All applicants can expect to hear from us regarding their applications, whether approved, waitlisted or denied via email by March 8th at the latest. Historically, it doesn't usually take us longer than 2-3 days after the application cutoff to communicate our decisions to all applicants. But officially, March 8th is the hard deadline that we guarantee to have application decisions sent out by.

littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:00 pm 5) What day does the Idol Showcase take place, and does it clash with masquerade?
Unfortunately, we can't formally announce what events will take place on which day until the official convention schedule comes out. However, last year the Idol Showcase moved from the Sunday of Anime Boston to Saturday, and it is very likely that our event will fall on Saturday again this year. We know that Saturday is highly preferable for the majority of our participants/attendees, so we are doing everything in our power to ensure we maintain our Saturday afternoon time slot. I can't say exactly what time the event will be hosted yet, but we will make sure there isn't any overlap between the Idol Showcase and the Masquerade. Last year, our event was scheduled for 4pm-6pm in the auditorium, which permitted an hour in between the end of the Idol Showcase and the start of seating for the Masquerade. All participants accepted to perform in the Idol Showcase should be prepared to block 3-4 hours out of their schedule for the event and stage prep/walkthroughs.
Last edited by Cosmic Lune on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

littlestarcha
I'm new!

Post by littlestarcha »

Thank you both so much for the help!! This answered all my questions. I look forward to sending my applications in!!
keti213
Getting the hang of this...

Post by keti213 »

are single idols allowed? I'm asking because I dont have an idol group I would love to be part of one but for now I could only practice idol dancing by myself...im just curious if that's a possibility to dance alone I guess...
peachy_chuu
I'm new!

Post by peachy_chuu »

Yes! I performed solo last year, along with many others!
☆○o。 COSPLAY LINEUP 2023 。o○☆
Friday: Magical Mirai 2020 Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Saturday AM: Meiko (Vocaloid) w/Idolized!
Saturday PM: Rouge the bat (Sonic)
Sunday: Bishoujo Edward Scissorhands
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

keti213 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:21 am are single idols allowed? I'm asking because I dont have an idol group I would love to be part of one but for now I could only practice idol dancing by myself...im just curious if that's a possibility to dance alone I guess...
Absolutely! We encourage not only groups of varying sizes, but individual solo participants to apply as well!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

keti213

Post by keti213 »

sorry, Im having trouble locating where I am supposed to upload my audition video. cant seem to find any link to upload files on. also when it comes to it, would it be correct that one file would be the showing my choreography with the song in the background and then another containing mp3 file of the song? thank you
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

keti213 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:27 pm sorry, Im having trouble locating where I am supposed to upload my audition video. cant seem to find any link to upload files on. also when it comes to it, would it be correct that one file would be the showing my choreography with the song in the background and then another containing mp3 file of the song? thank you
Here's an earlier response that I believe should help answer your question:
Cosmic Lune wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:27 pm
As Lux said, at this time the portal only allows for one file upload per application. However, links to either a song MP3 file or audition video may be provided in the "Other Info" section of the application. So long as the song is clearly audible in the audition video, the video is the most important component of your application. In the event that we only receive one file in your application (with no additional links in the "Other Info" section) by March 1st, as long we have your audition video, we will still consider your application for acceptance. When necessary, we will reach out to you via email to obtain any additional song files/further information.
Please let us know if you have any follow up questions though!

Lux Douglas

remnantalley
I'm new!

Post by remnantalley »

Don't have any questions of note yet, but I just wanted to say how excited my friends and I are to apply again! We had such a blast performing last year. You all put on a wonderful show!

I promise we're hard at work on our dances and costumes but apologies if our application slides in at the last minute again... My poor friends have to deal with my job's busiest months of the year stealing all my precious time! ):

-Caitlyn
hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

I remember you! I really really can't wait to see what you and your group have in store for this year! :D
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

Idolishheaven wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:13 pm Don't have any questions of note yet, but I just wanted to say how excited my friends and I are to apply again! We had such a blast performing last year. You all put on a wonderful show!

I promise we're hard at work on our dances and costumes but apologies if our application slides in at the last minute again... My poor friends have to deal with my job's busiest months of the year stealing all my precious time! ):

-Caitlyn
Hi Caitlyn! You have no idea how nice that is to hear, we really try our hardest to make sure all our participants and attendees enjoy themselves as much as possible. We were so thrilled to get to see your phenomenal performance last year, so it really warms my heart to know that you all had just as much fun!

No sweat whatsoever, we're more than happy to review your application whenever you're ready to send it in. As long as we receive it by the deadline, submission timestamps bare no weight on consideration, as we don't start evaluating entires until applications are officially closed.

Thank you so much for letting us know, and for your kind words! We can't wait to see your application and what you have in store for the Idol Showcase year at Anime Boston 2023 (the year of the idols!) ✨
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

spotlight_sophie
I'm new!

Post by spotlight_sophie »

Quick question: What day is the Idol Showcase on? Do we have to buy con tickets for all of the con days or can we just pay for one day?
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

spotlight_sophie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 am Quick question: What day is the Idol Showcase on? Do we have to buy con tickets for all of the con days or can we just pay for one day?
Idol Showcase was just confirmed here (as well as the rest of cosplay events): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31585&p=311422#p311422
It'll be on Saturday before the Masquerade!

This is not a ticketed event, but it is just the one time on Saturday!

Lux Douglas

keti213

Re: Idol Showcase 2023 auditioning

Post by keti213 »

how can I tell if my audition went through? I went to the page where I uploaded my audition video and have a link for the music as well. after i pressed submit the page buffered for quite a while and then it just when to the page that told me to log back into my forum..im not sure if the upload worked or not or how I can find out..I really want to audition this year, Im not sure if im just having bad connections..
LadyMana
AB Staff

Re: Idol Showcase 2023 auditioning

Post by LadyMana »

keti213 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:17 pm how can I tell if my audition went through?
If you're logged into the forum and you go to your
Cosplay HQ Page https://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq
and select "Idol Showcase" you should be able to see all the details that you've submitted.

If there's information in there, then it's saved and sent. You can also revise your application as much as you want in this spot before the application deadline.
If there is nothing in there, you will unfortunately need to re-enter everything.

Lux Douglas

keti213

Post by keti213 »

I know the deadline for idol showcase auditions is march 1st is that also the day they will announce if you're audition got accepted or not?
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

keti213 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:51 pm I know the deadline for idol showcase auditions is march 1st is that also the day they will announce if you're audition got accepted or not?
We aim to let people know within a week at the latest, but are hoping to have everything processed this weekend!

Lux Douglas

Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

I'm excited to share that all of our acceptances have officially been confirmed as of 3/08!

Our first round of waitlist notification emails have been sent, and our waitlist is completely full this year. Once every standby group confirm or denies their waitlist spot, we will then send out decline emails to the remaining applicants who did not make it onto the waitlist. Please be sure to check the email addressed you used to register your Anime Boston Forums account regularly, and check your spam folder as well! If you didn't receive an email yet, you may still have a chance to make it onto the waitlist if someone else denies or does not confirm their spot. Please remember to keep checking your email from now until the convention - especially if you have been waitlisted!

We truly can't express our gratitude enough to everyone who applied this year. The Idol Showcase wouldn't exist without such wonderful, positive, and extraordinarily talented performers. Thank you all for your patience and adamant support for our event. Here's to idol year at Anime Boston 2023!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

Mystic_Knights
I'm new!

Idol Showcase

Post by Mystic_Knights »

Hello
I was wondering when will the form be open for 2024 auditions for the idol showcase?
Get back to me when you can.
I hope you have a good day.