Cosplay Singer 2023

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
LadyMana
AB Staff

Cosplay Singer 2023

Post by LadyMana »

Updated 1/23/23 at 11:50AM with more FAQ

Hello everyone!
My name is Lux, you may know me from the Boston cosplay ugly sweater parties I hosted for five years, or my work with Anime Boston's Maid Cafe and Idol Showcase. However, this year I'd like to introduce you to a brand new event, Cosplay Singer!

With slight inspiration from performance TV shows like "The Masked Singer," come watch, support or even apply to partake in idols coming to life through cosplay and live performing! Cosplayers will choose a song to sing live and dance to dazzle the crowd. This exhibition looks to celebrate and support live idols!

Applications will be opening on January 1st, 2023 and closing on March 1st, 2023. That's only two quick months to apply!
Applicants will be required to submit a first choice and second choice song.
More application requirements can be found here: https://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cos ... bitions/#3

"How is this different from Idol Showcase or Karaoke?"
Idol Showcase cannot support live singing performances and karaoke doesn't have a cosplay or performance requirement. This new event is looking to celebrate that extra level of showmanship while supporting the idols that prefer to perform fully live instead of lip-sync.

"I have to apply with two songs?"
Yes, this is due to not being able to have the same song performed more than once. Having a second choice helps make sure that applicants aren't unnecessarily turned away due to certain songs being more popular.

"What are you looking for in the video audition?"
Things don't need to be fully polished and finalized, we completely understand that you'll be working hard up until you hit the stage to make your performance the best it can be. A video audition helps prove your dedication to the performance and gives us an idea of what to expect when you're up on stage. Surprising the audience is alright, but surprising staff is not.

"What kinds of microphones will be provided?"
Handheld wireless microphones with floor stands will be provided. We cannot support headsets or personal microphones.

"Does the character I cosplay have to sing a song from the same anime/media they appear in?"
Songs do not have to align with the character, "mismatches" are more than welcome!

"Applications indicate being able to apply with 3 costumes, do I need to fill out for all 3?"
No! If you only plan on cosplaying one character no matter which song is chosen, you only need to fill out one character. If your character choice is dependent on which song you'll sing, you can apply with multiple and leave comments in the "other info" section to let us know which cosplay goes with which song.

"The costume section asks for photos but I don't have my cosplay yet, what do I do?"
Any portion of the costume you have for photos is appreciated, we know a lot of people are still working on them. If you're still waiting for your cosplay in the mail and don't have anything yet, a photo of the character from the anime/media is appreciated! It's hard to keep up with all the new characters, so having an image of them is helpful to get an idea.

"Does my audition video have to include both songs?"
If all you have time for is one song, that's all we ask for in the audition! If a backup song video is able to be provided, that would definitely be going the extra mile and is appreciated but not required.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have! I will continue to update this first post with any frequently asked questions as they come.
Last edited by LadyMana on Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
hanaperi.studio
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Cosplay Singer 2023

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Thanks for sharing all this detailed information! I took a look at the application and a couple questions came to mind.
  • Do the cosplay and the song have to come from the same anime, or is it acceptable for the song and cosplay to be unrelated to each other?
  • I noticed some dropdown menus that require you to indicate 3 costumes. Does this mean costume 1 goes with song choice 1 and costume 2 goes with song choice 2, and if so, what should costume 3 be?
  • Should the audition video include both song choices, or just the main one?
  • Sorry, final question! Does this application require photos of the cosplay? I wasn't planning on purchasing the cosplay until after I received confirmation of the application results.
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:49 pm
  • Do the cosplay and the song have to come from the same anime, or is it acceptable for the song and cosplay to be unrelated to each other?
Songs do not have to align with the character, "mismatches" are more than welcome!
  • I noticed some dropdown menus that require you to indicate 3 costumes. Does this mean costume 1 goes with song choice 1 and costume 2 goes with song choice 2, and if so, what should costume 3 be?
You are not required to to fill out for all three costumes but can fill out up to 3 costumes. You're only required to provide at at least one. If you'll be the same character regardless of song selected, one costume is all you need to fill out. Otherwise if your costume depends on what song you have accepted, please note this in the "Other Info" "What is your backup song?" section!
  • Should the audition video include both song choices, or just the main one?
If all you have time for is one song, that's all we ask for in the audition! If a backup song video is able to be provided, that would definitely be going the extra mile and is appreciated but not required.
  • Sorry, final question! Does this application require photos of the cosplay? I wasn't planning on purchasing the cosplay until after I received confirmation of the application results.
Photos are again appreciated, but if you're currently working on the costume, a photo of your progress is all that's needed. If you don't have it at all, a photo of the character is at least appreciated since it's hard for me to keep up with all the idols and characters constantly coming out, having the visual helps. Though please note that I aim to notify applicants of their application status on March 5th, which only gives almost exactly a month of notice before the con which can be a tight deadline for some sellers.

These were all great questions, thank you so much for taking the time to ask! If you need any more clarification, don't be afraid to ask.

Lux Douglas

hanaperi.studio
Getting the hang of this...

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Thank you so much for your detailed clarifications! I will keep them in mind moving forward. (I started an application but took down my video file because I want to work on it some more… I'm sure you aren't reviewing applications until much later but just a note to please disregard my current entry if you saw it!)
AB 2023
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:14 pm I'm sure you aren't reviewing applications until much later but just a note to please disregard my current entry if you saw it!
I do have fun peeking at them periodically as they come in but the final verdict on applications won't happen until they're closed! So no worries if you continue to make edits and change files. Watching the progress get made is exciting but I understand that some people like getting that "one more take" and uploading improvements as they come.

Lux Douglas

Xavolice
I'm new!

Post by Xavolice »

Hi thanks for all the info. This sounds awesome! I was wondering if the chosen songs must be from an anime/game or similar source or if any song is allowed?
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Xavolice wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:34 am I was wondering if the chosen songs must be from an anime/game or similar source or if any song is allowed?
Songs of Anime/Game/Japanese origin are not required but always very exciting to see! Any song that meets AB's PG-13 content rules is welcomed.

Lux Douglas

Ariandante
Experienced Poster

Post by Ariandante »

This sounds amazing! Out of curiosity do we know when during the con is this anticipated to be scheduled?
ah-reh-en-DAHN-tay...
or Kristen... (she/her/hers)
------
AB 2024 Tentative...
Yukako Yamagishi (JJBA DiU), Kagome (Inuyasha), Bunnygirl Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

2022 - Yor Forger (Spy x Family)
2023 - Ameri Azazel (Marimashita Iruma-kun!), Lady Rengoku (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

------
As radiant dawn vanquishes morning dew,
I shall transcend once more as I arise, and begin anew.
-Mirai Chiara
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

Ariandante wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:54 pm This sounds amazing! Out of curiosity do we know when during the con is this anticipated to be scheduled?
We do not have a time currently since the schedule is still being worked on.

Lux Douglas

CandyBraces
I'm new!

Post by CandyBraces »

Hi! I have a question, how are these events scheduled? Is it possible to apply for the Cosplay Singer event if I'm already in the Idol Showcase? /gen q
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

CandyBraces wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:42 pm Hi! I have a question, how are these events scheduled? Is it possible to apply for the Cosplay Singer event if I'm already in the Idol Showcase? /gen q
We aren't sure of the schedule quite yet for how these will be in order during the weekend - BUT I am the assistant coordinator for the Idol Showcase, so the likelihood of our events overlapping is extremely low since I'll likely be back stage during that event to help out. I can't say that it's guaranteed, but I know it'll be tried to be avoided at all costs so we don't have staffing issues backstage.

Lux Douglas

LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

CandyBraces wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:42 pm Hi! I have a question, how are these events scheduled? Is it possible to apply for the Cosplay Singer event if I'm already in the Idol Showcase? /gen q
Cosplay events were just confirmed here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31585&p=311422#p311422
Cosplay Singer will be on Friday after Death Match, and Idol Showcase will be on Saturday before the Masquerade!

Lux Douglas

CandyBraces
I'm new!

Post by CandyBraces »

Hello! So before I make a decision on the song and what cosplay I'm going to make, I would like to have more clarification on what counts as "revealing attire" ?
Thanks in advance ^^
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

CandyBraces wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:54 pm I would like to have more clarification on what counts as "revealing attire" ?
Hello! "Revealing attire" is handled on a case by case basis since there can be some nuance with it. Anime Boston is an all ages con and the dress code has to reflect that, especially of our participants during events that aren't during 18+ times. We're not like crazy high school dress codes measuring things with fingers, finger tips, rulers or anything of that sort but need to be publicly presentable for all ages. If you feel like you might be toeing the line, it's probably best to avoid, but if you have an example, I might be able to better elaborate if it'll be alright.

Lux Douglas

JuliaRika
I'm new!

Post by JuliaRika »

I’m just realizing. I submitted just one vocal MP4 song. Should I have sang another song?
Also am I required to dance in this as well? If so. I would need to change the song I would sing cause the one I submitted isn’t really a song you dance to more like a emotional ballad :shock:

Should I resubmit a sing/ dance song instead?

Thanks
😊
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

JuliaRika wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:01 pm I submitted just one vocal MP4 song. Should I have sang another song?
You only need to submit one vocal! No worried to also do your back up. If you'd like to, you're welcome to, but not doing does not count against you.
JuliaRika wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:01 pm Also am I required to dance in this as well?
You're not REQUIRED, but it is encouraged. Cosplay Singer was made with the intention to go a little above a beyond to support Live Idols and dancing can be a big part of that but not always, so I didn't want to make that a hard requirement.
JuliaRika wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:01 pm Should I resubmit a sing/ dance song instead?
If you would prefer to sing AND dance, you can absolutely edit the application you've already sent in via your Cosplay HQ page! That's completely up to you. Just keep in mind that your ability to edit these will be cut off on March 1st when applications are closed.

Lux Douglas

moekou
Experienced Poster

Post by moekou »

Are anime/game/Japanese songs preferred, or anything goes?
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

moekou wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:21 am Are anime/game/Japanese songs preferred, or anything goes?
No preference on the origin of the song, more so for the origin of the character being presented, but there’s even some flexibility with that.

Lux Douglas

LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

First round of emails were sent out on Saturday!! PLEASE be sure to check the email associated with your account here on the forums as it is our primary way to communicate with applicants!

If you haven't received anything yet, don't worry. Everyone who submitted something will receive an email and I have about two more waves of emails to send out.

Lux Douglas