Anime Boston 2023 Cosplay Events

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Cycrino
AB Staff

Anime Boston 2023 Cosplay Events

Post by Cycrino »

Applications for all cosplay events will be opening soon. We will post all new updates to this post.
Last Updated: 12/28/22.

https://animeboston.com/cosplay/
Apps Open: Jan 1, 2023 at NOON

Contests - https://animeboston.com/cosplay/masquerade/
Masquerade - Performance Contest (juried based on strength of application)
Masquerade - Craftsmanship Contest (first come, first served)

Performance Soft Close: Feb 17, 2023
Apps Close: Mar 18, 2023

Exhibitions - https://animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_exhibitions/
Idol Showcase
:!: New - Cosplay Singer
Fashion Walk
Apps Close: Mar 1, 2023

Games - https://animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_games/
Death Match
Dating Game
Chess
Lip Sync Battle
Apps Close: Mar 1, 2023
Andrey Zholudok
Cosplay Events Manager 2024
Blackroses1998
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Anime Boston 2023 Cosplay Events

Post by Blackroses1998 »

Thank you for posting the updated dates for Anime Boston 2023. I am just wondering how we apply when it gets closer to January 1st of 2023.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Blackroses1998 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:11 pm Thank you for posting the updated dates for Anime Boston 2023. I am just wondering how we apply when it gets closer to January 1st of 2023.
With the exception of Fashion Walk, applications for all cosplay events are done through Cosplay HQ. Details on how to create a Cosplay HQ account can be found here: https://animeboston.com/cosplay/#6.

Each event will have different requirements for their applications, so make sure to check the cosplay pages to see what will be required as a part of the Cosplay HQ application.

There will be a social media and website announcement shortly before the applications open and then once the applications are fully open.
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

Good thing I created a cosplay HQ account for last year. I will definitely look for the applications when they open up soon
hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Hello! I have a quick question about the Cosplay Singer; if selected what kind of microphones are the performers allowed to use? Will you provide headset mics or allow performers to connect their own? I'm asking so early because my audition song choice kind of depends on this. I hope to hear back soon!
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:34 pm Hello! I have a quick question about the Cosplay Singer; if selected what kind of microphones are the performers allowed to use? Will you provide headset mics or allow performers to connect their own? I'm asking so early because my audition song choice kind of depends on this. I hope to hear back soon!
I was just about to ask the same question but with a bit more. I was thinking of singing a song as well for this year's masquerade. But it was also wondering if I was allowed to have family bring me up to the stage or at least have a chair because I might be recovering from a surgery that has occurred before the convention. Let me know if you can answer my question. thank you so much
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:34 pm Hello! I have a quick question about the Cosplay Singer; if selected what kind of microphones are the performers allowed to use? Will you provide headset mics or allow performers to connect their own? I'm asking so early because my audition song choice kind of depends on this. I hope to hear back soon!
Thanks for the question! Handheld wireless microphones will be provided, along with a floor stand.
Alison Bird
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Blackroses1998 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:02 pm
I was just about to ask the same question but with a bit more. I was thinking of singing a song as well for this year's masquerade. But it was also wondering if I was allowed to have family bring me up to the stage or at least have a chair because I might be recovering from a surgery that has occurred before the convention. Let me know if you can answer my question. thank you so much
If you have specific requests or needs for any of our cosplay events, I recommend reaching out to the specific event coordinator directly so they can best accommodate your request. A great time to do this is when the event coordinator sends you the email saying you have been accepted or waitlisted into a given event. There should be no issue providing you with a chair on or off stage or with allowing a family member / handler backstage to assist you.
Alison Bird
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

Thank you for answering my question. I will definitely let that event director know when it gets closer to the convention and how my application plays out. I am grateful that I will be getting a chair and or my family can help me get on and off the stage.
hanaperi.studio

ksmurf wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Thanks for the question! Handheld wireless microphones will be provided, along with a floor stand.
Thank you for your reply! I will work on my audition keeping this in mind!
AB 2023

AB 2022
hanaperi.studio

I have another question! Do you have a time estimate of when applicants to cosplay exhibitions will be notified of results, particularly whether they got their first choice, second choice, or neither? I'm wondering what the turnaround time will be until people know what dance/song/cosplay they should be focusing on by March/April.
AB 2023

AB 2022
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

looking for clarification: do apps close on march 18 or on march 1? this forum post says the 18th, but the AB website's cosplay games page says march 1.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm I have another question! Do you have a time estimate of when applicants to cosplay exhibitions will be notified of results, particularly whether they got their first choice, second choice, or neither? I'm wondering what the turnaround time will be until people know what dance/song/cosplay they should be focusing on by March/April.
When you say first choice, second choice, or neither, are you referring to song selections for a given event?

Generally, accepted participants get their first choice of song selection unless another group has also requested the same song. Each event coordinator will have their own criteria for determining which group gets to keep the song vs. which group has to use their back-up. If you'd like specific details, I recommend posting your question to the forum thread for the specific event so the correct coordinator can see it.
Alison Bird
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Victablook wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:33 pm looking for clarification: do apps close on march 18 or on march 1? this forum post says the 18th, but the AB website's cosplay games page says march 1.
All cosplay events close on March 1 EXCEPT Masquerade which closes on March 18th.
This is to allow coordinators enough time to evaluate the applications, make their selections, and get everyone prepared.

Since Masquerade is a contest, their applications close a little later to allow for last-minute entries or waitlist entries (provided space is still available).

We've updated the main part of this thread to clarify. Sorry for the confusion!
Alison Bird
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

ksmurf wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:56 pm All cosplay events close on March 1 EXCEPT Masquerade which closes on March 18th.
This is to allow coordinators enough time to evaluate the applications, make their selections, and get everyone prepared.

Since Masquerade is a contest, their applications close a little later to allow for last-minute entries or waitlist entries (provided space is still available).

We've updated the main part of this thread to clarify. Sorry for the confusion!
cool, thank you so much for clarifying!!
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
littlestarcha
I'm new!

Post by littlestarcha »

Hello! I have a few questions regarding sending an application for Idol Showcase.

1) Where do we put our audition video? On the application, there is no video file upload or indication of where to put an audition, (such as a previous performance) but there is a place to upload a file of the music we wish to use.

2) The A/V file upload spot says to put the music, but says video or music? Are we supposed to be making a video for our performance from now on the application, or just audio?

3) Music / performances are stated to be on a first come, first serve, with a song choice preference listed. My group wishes to perform 2 songs, but should I only be applying with the 1 song we would prioritize, or sending an audio with both songs?

If you could please answer my questions as soon as possible, we’d really appreciate it! I want to send an app but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thank you.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

littlestarcha wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:05 am Hello! I have a few questions regarding sending an application for Idol Showcase.

1) Where do we put our audition video? On the application, there is no video file upload or indication of where to put an audition, (such as a previous performance) but there is a place to upload a file of the music we wish to use.

2) The A/V file upload spot says to put the music, but says video or music? Are we supposed to be making a video for our performance from now on the application, or just audio?

3) Music / performances are stated to be on a first come, first serve, with a song choice preference listed. My group wishes to perform 2 songs, but should I only be applying with the 1 song we would prioritize, or sending an audio with both songs?

If you could please answer my questions as soon as possible, we’d really appreciate it! I want to send an app but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thank you.
I would highly recommend posting these questions to the Idol Showcase forum thread that has been added; the Idol Showcase Coordinator is watching that thread specifically for questions. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31715

From a technical perspective, on your application under the Performance Description box there should be a section for A/V File with a button to Choose File. That is where you can upload the media file for your application. I'll defer the rest of your questions to the Idol Showcase Coordinator.
Alison Bird
TheGlassesGirl
Expert Poster

Post by TheGlassesGirl »

Will there be an announcement of what day each event is going to be on ahead of when applications close like last year? (Just for planning reasons!)
Cosplay Games performer for 6 years and counting!

Anime Boston 2024 Tentative Plans:
Kanamori (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken), Rui Kamishiro (Project Sekai), The Cat (Infinity Train), Polly Geist (Monster Prom)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

TheGlassesGirl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:22 pm Will there be an announcement of what day each event is going to be on ahead of when applications close like last year? (Just for planning reasons!)
Just like last year, we won't be able to announce much until the schedule is finalized. As soon as we have more concrete details, we will do our best to keep everyone updated.

Historically here are where the events have fallen:

Friday: Death Match, Dating Game, Masquerade Craftsmanship judging
Saturday: Chess Rehearsal, Masquerade Rehearsal, Masquerade Craftsmanship judging, Lip Sync Battle, Idol Showcase, and Masquerade
Sunday: Chess

We are currently exploring several scheduling options for the new event, Cosplay Singer.
Alison Bird
wingedlight

Post by wingedlight »

Hello! For those who applied for the masquerade (craftsmanship), will we have to wait until applications close in March to know if we were accepted, or will we start being notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed and approved?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

wingedlight wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:31 pm Hello! For those who applied for the masquerade (craftsmanship), will we have to wait until applications close in March to know if we were accepted, or will we start being notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed and approved?
For the fastest response, I recommend that you post this question to the Masquerade thread, which is monitored by the Masquerade Coordinator.
Alison Bird
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

The schedule is still being finalized, but we can announce what days the cosplay events will be.

FRIDAY
Masquerade Craftsmanship Judging
Death Match
Cosplay Singer
After Dark Dating Game

SATURDAY
Masquerade Craftsmanship Judging
Masquerade Performance Rehearsal
Cosplay Chess Rehearsal
Lip Sync Battle
Idol Showcase
Masquerade
Shenanigans (no applications required)

SUNDAY
Cosplay Chess
Fashion Walk (at-con sign-ups)
Alison Bird
vasjamesart
I'm new!

Post by vasjamesart »

So I had an idea and was curious if it's been done before or considered. I do various drawing from live sorfs of groups with a variety of short and long poses from a model.... why not do a cosplay version of that? We know we have tons of talented folks and it could be a fun time to invite folks to sketch or draw from cosplayers rather than just your usual fare. I would definitely help organize if there was interest and it could be helpful. 😊
KatanaPlease

Post by KatanaPlease »

Heyo, quick question.
I'm last minute again, as always and I just wanted to ask and MAKE SURE because I am TERRIBLE with deadlines aha..
The deadline for cosplay game applications is March 1st, so does that mean that I will still be able to submit an application tomorrow up until 11:59pm? or will it close tonight at 11:59pm?
AB '08
Tenten, Rukia, Near
AB'09
Sakura
AB '10
Lady Gaga
AB '11
Misa, Saya (High School of the Dead)
AB '12
Lily (Secret Tunnel Nomad in Avatar), Sailor Neptune
AB '13
Naruto, Julia (Cowboy Bebop)
AB '14
Dr. Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend (Archer), Shuichi (Gravitation)
AB '15
Shion (Higurashi), Neliel (Bleach)
AB '16
Sexcalibur (Burlesque Excalibur- Soul Eater)
AB '17
Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo)
AB '18
Tatsumaki (One Punch Man), Satsuki (Kill la Kill)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

KatanaPlease wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:17 pm Heyo, quick question.
I'm last minute again, as always and I just wanted to ask and MAKE SURE because I am TERRIBLE with deadlines aha..
The deadline for cosplay game applications is March 1st, so does that mean that I will still be able to submit an application tomorrow up until 11:59pm? or will it close tonight at 11:59pm?
Applications will close on March 1st at 11:59pm.
At the time of this post (2/28 5:48 PM ET), there is just over 30 hours remaining to apply.
Alison Bird
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

I got accepted into the masquerade this year and I was wondering about exact times for the rehearsal and when I need to be back for the masquerade itself. The reason being is I am starting to add times and locations to my phone calendar.
Laser Boy
Expert Poster

Post by Laser Boy »

Will there be an official videographer for events this year? The usual volunteer has still only posted Lip Sync and Death Match from last year.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Blackroses1998 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 am I got accepted into the masquerade this year and I was wondering about exact times for the rehearsal and when I need to be back for the masquerade itself. The reason being is I am starting to add times and locations to my phone calendar.
You will receive Masquerade specific information from the event coordinator shortly before the convention. If you have any questions before then, you can reach out to the Masquerade Coordinator via the Contact Us form: https://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/
Alison Bird
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Laser Boy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:29 pm Will there be an official videographer for events this year? The usual volunteer has still only posted Lip Sync and Death Match from last year.
Anime Boston is not affiliated with any attendee-made recordings of our programming, so unfortunately we cannot speak to whether a recording will be made or any timelines associated with said recording if it should exist.
Alison Bird
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

ksmurf wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 pm
Blackroses1998 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:07 am I got accepted into the masquerade this year and I was wondering about exact times for the rehearsal and when I need to be back for the masquerade itself. The reason being is I am starting to add times and locations to my phone calendar.
You will receive Masquerade specific information from the event coordinator shortly before the convention. If you have any questions before then, you can reach out to the Masquerade Coordinator via the Contact Us form: https://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/
Thank you for letting me know this. I will look for the Masquerade specific information from the event coordinator when the convention gets closer.
HardyYo8
I'm new!

Post by HardyYo8 »

Hi, does anyone know the time/date for the cosplay contest? Or when it would be announced?