Anime Boston 2022 Cosplay Events

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Anime Boston 2022 Cosplay Events

Post by ksmurf »

Applications for cosplay events will be opening soon! Keep an eye out for these deadlines:

Events are opening:
  • 02/1/22 - Cosplay Games Applications
  • 02/1/22 - Idol Showcase Applications
  • 03/1/22 - Masquerade Applications
Key events are closing:
  • 4/15/2022 - Cosplay Games Applications Closed
  • 4/15/2022 - Idol Showcase Applications Closed
  • 4/15/2022 - Pre-evaluation for Masquerade performance skits and final scripts
  • 5/7/2022 - Masquerade Applications Closed
:!: Please note that events are open to schedule changes and may potentially overlap. Specific times will be posted closer to the convention. Coordinators will try to accommodate wherever possible.
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
hanaperi.studio
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Anime Boston 2022 Cosplay Events

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Hello, I have a couple questions about the idol showcase applications, but I don't know where to put them. Please let me know and I'll move my message somewhere else.

1. Is it required to be completely dressed in cosplay for the audition video? Or, would you prefer more simple clothing so you can see lines and movements more clearly?

2. Is it required to wear a wig with the cosplay? Or, if not required, does performing in a wig have a significant advantage over performing without (like greater chance of being selected)?

Thank you!
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

@Onigiri1994: That's a great set of questions, and this is a good thread to put them.
To answer both, audition videos for Idol Showcase do not have to include people in full cosplay (outfits or wigs), or even all members of the group to gain any advantage.
Audition videos are to show off the dance moves of the music so Idol Staff have a better idea of how the choreography will look on stage. You can be dressed up if you think it will add a level to the dance (like including long swooshing sleeves, or folding fans/props, that would change how the final dance looks if they were missing from the video).
The video quality or what people are wearing in the video will not give anyone an advantage over another. Just so long as we can get an idea of what kind of performance to expect on the stage at AB.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Thank you so much for explaining! This is my first time applying, and I am really excited about the opportunity to submit an audition video. :)
AB 2023
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
Xchamp
I'm new!

Post by Xchamp »

Idol Showcase Question
I was wondering if the 4 minute time limit is super strict? The length of my performance would be 4 minutes and 7 seconds with the music. Would that be allowed or do I absolutely have to shorten it to the 4 minutes?
Thank You
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

@Xchamp, the 4 minute time limit is to allow more dances in the show's limited time, and a tighter performance is easier to keep the crowd's attention drawn.
We'd like it if that extra 7 seconds can be cut down so the performance does not go over the 4 minute mark. (This could be cutting a little repetition in the intro or end of the song, or removing part of a verse that drags down the choreography whenever you've practiced it.)
Ashley Shaffer
Yue Ryder95
I'm new!

Post by Yue Ryder95 »

Wait do we wait to reapply on March 1st for the fashion show part of the competition??
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Yue Ryder95 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:56 pm Wait do we wait to reapply on March 1st for the fashion show part of the competition??
If you were previously selected as a participant in the masquerade in 2020, then you should have received email communications from the masquerade coordinator. The latest email includes instructions on how to apply for 2022. Make sure to check your spam folders if you did not receive the email.

Applications for the masquerade open on 3/1 for anyone who was not previously selected in 2020.
Alison Bird
ANerdAttemptsArt
I'm new!

Post by ANerdAttemptsArt »

hi! i am new to the forums, so im not sure if i'm doing this correctly but i have a question about the idol showcase :0
first, would the idol showcase be on saturday or sunday?
and would we be allowed to perform vocaloid songs? my sister and i were going to audition with a miku and gumi song but we're not sure if it counts as 'idol' related. thanks in advance!
Last edited by ANerdAttemptsArt on Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

Hi ANerdAttemptsArt, welcome aboard! We hope you enjoy your time in the AB forums.
The Idol Showcase is going to be on Saturday this year (we've been on Sunday in the past). Vocaloid songs are great, Miku Hatsune is absulutely a Japanese idol. Can't wait to hear a Gumi song among the applications.
Ashley Shaffer
cookiesweet
Expert Poster

Post by cookiesweet »

Hello! I'm looking forward to seeing another amazing year of events however, out of curiosity I don't see anything on cosplot even on the upcoming event schedule. Is that still going on and if so will they be opening applications? Or to make thing easier are they keeping participation strictly for staff? Or as equally likely am I just blind and it is there? ;u;

Thank you in advance!
Anime Boston 2013 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor Sakura
Anime Boston 2014 Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden

Anime Boston 2015 Nui Harime from Kill La Kill
Anime Boston 2016 Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Amulet Heart from Shugo Chara
Anime Boston 2017 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess
Anime Boston 2018Goddess Madoka from Madoka Magica and Blossom from PowerPuff Girls
Anime Boston 2019 Kikyo from Inuyasha, Mori-Senpai from OHSHC, and Lum from Urusei Yatsura
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

cookiesweet wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 pm Hello! I'm looking forward to seeing another amazing year of events however, out of curiosity I don't see anything on cosplot even on the upcoming event schedule. Is that still going on and if so will they be opening applications? Or to make thing easier are they keeping participation strictly for staff? Or as equally likely am I just blind and it is there? ;u;

Thank you in advance!
This year the staff have decided not to have separate application pools for cosplot. Anyone who applies to a Cosplay Game event is automatically eligible for any cosplot activities related to that event!
Alison Bird
cookiesweet
Expert Poster

Post by cookiesweet »

Oh awesome! I had been worried I may have missed it, I love this new change. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! ^^
Anime Boston 2013 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor Sakura
Anime Boston 2014 Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden

Anime Boston 2015 Nui Harime from Kill La Kill
Anime Boston 2016 Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Amulet Heart from Shugo Chara
Anime Boston 2017 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess
Anime Boston 2018Goddess Madoka from Madoka Magica and Blossom from PowerPuff Girls
Anime Boston 2019 Kikyo from Inuyasha, Mori-Senpai from OHSHC, and Lum from Urusei Yatsura
remnantalley
I'm new!

Post by remnantalley »

Hello! I have a question about the Idol Showcase audition video.
Do you purely want to see the dance example, or would you like to see the dance and a bit about the group/our progress as well? For example, we are making our costumes so I wasn't sure if you would want to see any progress pictures of that so far, or any information about the members of the group.

And just want to make sure - we would upload the video in the application where it mentions the background video? I read the Idol Showcase won't have any background videos so it just makes sense to put the audition video there, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for any insight!! Appreciate it. (:
- Caitlyn
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

Yes, you can submit the video where the application lets you choose to upload an A/V File "or video file for your performance" (File may not exceed 500MB in size. It is highly advised that large files be uploaded over a wired connection to avoid timeouts).
The video is just to show staff a little of your dance so we can get an idea of the choreography. Not all members have to be present in the video, and you do not have to be in your full performance outfits.

You can share information about your group in the "Performance Description" section. Or if there is anything else you would like us to know about, then it can be placed in the "Other Info" section, along with the name of your song.
Ashley Shaffer
purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

Hi! Quick question on the deadline. Applications close on the 15th. Does that mean we will still be able to submit that day? Or is the 14th the last day to submit?

I’ve got some supplies that were delayed and should be here in the next few days, but once they get here I still have to hurry to finish the last piece of my costume and get nice photos. So just trying to confirm how many days I’ve got left. Thanks!
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

purple_popinjay wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:38 pm Hi! Quick question on the deadline. Applications close on the 15th. Does that mean we will still be able to submit that day? Or is the 14th the last day to submit?

I’ve got some supplies that were delayed and should be here in the next few days, but once they get here I still have to hurry to finish the last piece of my costume and get nice photos. So just trying to confirm how many days I’ve got left. Thanks!
You can submit on Friday April 15th.
If you've hit Saturday, that's too late.

As a quick reminder (for anyone who is reading this) - your photos don't need to be fancy. Simple front and back shots are just fine!
Examples of acceptable photos:
  • Cosplayer in a costume
  • Cosplayer in parts of a costume (but please leave a note of what pieces are missing)
  • Work-in-progress costumes on a hanger or dress form (please let us know what you have left to do)
In a pinch we'll also take pictures of cosplay items laid out nicely on a bed/table/floor.

Generally coordinators do not accept photos of online listings and if they do, it's only for waitlist.
Screen shots from anime or video games do not count as acceptable photos.
Alison Bird
purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

Thank you so much for clarifying! And for all the other info!
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

I just wanted to re-clarify changes in scheduling from the previous AB year; the Idol Showcase will be on Saturday this year? And roughly how would this interact with other cosplay games also on Saturday? I'm trying to coordinate cosplays for a single day and want to make sure I can change in time for the events before I finalize applications.

Also one more question, I'd also like to know if the Masquerade will also overlap schedule-wise with other cosplay events, for the same reasons. Thanks for your patience guys!
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

compressedbread wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:41 am I just wanted to re-clarify changes in scheduling from the previous AB year; the Idol Showcase will be on Saturday this year? And roughly how would this interact with other cosplay games also on Saturday? I'm trying to coordinate cosplays for a single day and want to make sure I can change in time for the events before I finalize applications.

Also one more question, I'd also like to know if the Masquerade will also overlap schedule-wise with other cosplay events, for the same reasons. Thanks for your patience guys!
The schedule for Anime Boston 2022 has not been finalized, so we can't speak to specific times of events, but as far as days go:
  • Friday: Death Match, Dating Game, Masquerade craftsmanship judging
  • Saturday: Masquerade rehearsal and show, Chess Rehearsal, Lip Sync Battle, Idol Showcase
  • Sunday: Chess
The event times will not overlap with each other, but may overlap with rehearsals or setup for other events.

Our recommendation is that if you are selected for an event, you inform the coordinator ASAP of any other events that you have applied to or been accepted for. The event coordinators will do their best to accommodate, but we can't guarantee that we'll be able to do so for everyone.
Alison Bird
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Thank you for your response! One more slightly unrelated question, how easy is it to change in and out of two cosplays? Is it possible to store an extra cosplay (lightweight, not bulky at all, in a garment bag) in Cosplay HQ for an event or anywhere else?
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

compressedbread wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:57 pm Thank you for your response! One more slightly unrelated question, how easy is it to change in and out of two cosplays? Is it possible to store an extra cosplay (lightweight, not bulky at all, in a garment bag) in Cosplay HQ for an event or anywhere else?
Changing in and out of cosplay can be a bit tricky, but Cosplay Games HQ is located in Hynes 105, which is about 30 seconds away from the nearest bathroom for access to stalls and mirrors.

I would reach out to the Cosplay Games Coordinator via the Contact Us form with specific requests to hold props as those are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Alison Bird
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

I was wondering how the application process works for the Masquerade this year. Since applications I believe fall around the new year. It is because I want to know the exact date applications open the reason being is I think I start my job at the beginning of the new year so want to make sure I have enough time to submit my application in for this year. Let me know if you can answer my question thank you
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Blackroses1998 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:12 am I was wondering how the application process works for the Masquerade this year. Since applications I believe fall around the new year. It is because I want to know the exact date applications open the reason being is I think I start my job at the beginning of the new year so want to make sure I have enough time to submit my application in for this year. Let me know if you can answer my question thank you
Applications for all Cosplay Events will open January 1, 2023.
Instructions for how to apply to either Craftsmanship or Performance contests can be found on the Masquerade rule page: https://animeboston.com/cosplay/masquerade/

Hope that helps!
Alison Bird
Blackroses1998

Post by Blackroses1998 »

ksmurf wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:11 pm
Blackroses1998 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:12 am I was wondering how the application process works for the Masquerade this year. Since applications I believe fall around the new year. It is because I want to know the exact date applications open the reason being is I think I start my job at the beginning of the new year so want to make sure I have enough time to submit my application in for this year. Let me know if you can answer my question thank you
Applications for all Cosplay Events will open January 1, 2023.
Instructions for how to apply to either Craftsmanship or Performance contests can be found on the Masquerade rule page: https://animeboston.com/cosplay/masquerade/

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much. I read the applications for all Cosplay Events and it explains everything I needed. It helped a lot.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

The Cosplay Events manager has posted the new 2023 cosplay events summary post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31585.
Locking this thread. Hope to see everyone's applications on January 1st!
Alison Bird