Applying in Groups for Games

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
SkitchTheWolf
I'm new!

Applying in Groups for Games

Post by SkitchTheWolf »

Hi all,

So I am part of a group with two other people applying for Cosplay Chess and Cosplay Deathmatch. I only have one costume I'm applying with for Deathmatch and the other two have two costumes. There's no way to differentiate groups between costume sets, so is there some way to apply that would not potentially disqualify us from consideration?

For example, this is what one of the other group members have written:
Member 1 is a part of Costume 1 group and Costume 2 group. Member 2 is only with Costume 2 group.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Re: Applying in Groups for Games

Post by ksmurf »

Hello there!

I looked through the applications of you and your group members to see how it showed up in the system. I'll admit it was confusing to read. Before I give you some recommendations, let me walk you through how groups work for Death Match and Chess because I think that might help.

Death Match
There are 32 spots in Death Match, most of which are for solo entries. Death Match is, in essence, a popularity contest; we found that groups win more often than solos and we don't want to influence the audience voting too much.

Usually, there are only a few spots for groups in Death Match unless the coordinator has something specific in mind (such as last year where there were multiple groups). I've already spoken to the Death Match Coordinator and this year, he has said most of the acceptances will be solo.

Chess
There are 32 spots on the Chess board for individual pieces. That means, if your group is selected - one of you is the chess piece and the others become a part of the 'special attack' that can come onto the board during the fights. Sometimes groups (usually pairs) are selected for cosplot or SITCAS (Sit in the Corner and Sulk) roles.

The number of groups that are selected for Chess vary by year, but again, the bulk of the acceptances are for solo characters.

Applying as a Group
No matter what, make sure that EVERYONE in the group has submitted an application.

If your top interest is getting into the event no matter what:
I recommend sticking with (1) group and providing 1-2 solo costumes as a backup. That way, if the coordinator can't use the group, they might be able to use your solo application. For example:
Name: John Smith
  • Luffy from One Piece
  • Deku from My Hero Academia
  • Gon from HUNTERXHUNTER
Group Member #1: Jane Doe - Nami (One Piece)
Group Member #2: Jon Doe - Sabo (One Piece)
If you want to get into the event with your friends, regardless of the costumes you are wearing / you don't want to participate without them:
Include all the group members and list their costumes/series in the same order. For example:
  • Luffy from One Piece
  • Deku from My Hero Academia
  • Gon from HUNTERXHUNTER
Group Member #1: Jane Doe - Nami (One Piece), Bakugo (My Hero Academia), Killua (HXH)
Group Member #2: Jon Doe - Sabo (One Piece), Kirishima (My Hero Academia), Hisoka (HXH)
If you still want to apply with multiple different groups:
Include all the group members and list their costume/series. In the "Other Info" section, list the groups by series, followed by the character and the name of the person.
  • Luffy from One Piece
  • Ciel from Black Butler
Group Member #1: Jane Doe - Name (One Piece), Grell (Black Butler)
Group Member #2: Jon Doe - Sabo (One Piece)
Group Member #3: Lizzy Smith - Sebastian (Black Butler)

Other Info:
Group 1 (One Piece) - Nami (Jane Doe), Sabo (Jon Doe) | Group 2 (Black Butler) - Grell (Jane Doe), Sebastian (Lizzy Smith)

The main thing with groups is that the coordinators are looking at the series first (i.e. can I use that series?), then the characters (i.e. is one of these the primary character? do these characters fit the theme?)

Keep in mind that the event coordinators only have a few days to review hundreds of applications. Simpler applications (i.e. with one group) are more likely to catch a coordinator's eye. Solo applications are more likely (but not guaranteed) to get in.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
DestinyRose
Getting the hang of this...

Post by DestinyRose »

thank you for your help! This will be our first time applying to the games :)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Any time! And may the odds ever be in your favor!
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024