Anime Boston 2020 Cosplay Death Match

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Cycrino
AB Alumni

Anime Boston 2020 Cosplay Death Match

Post by Cycrino »

Do you love anime characters? Do you love cheering and screaming at your favorite anime characters? Do you love seeing your favorite anime characters fight to the death? Or even better - do you want to be the one beating your opponents to achieve ultimate victory?

Cosplay Death Match is a tournament that pits the most recognizable characters from Japanese anime, manga, and video games against each other. Pairs of characters go head to head, vying for the cheers of their adoring fans in the audience. The one with the most screams moves on to the next round until there is only 1 left standing.

This year is all about Bento in Boston, so Death Match will be a culinary competition! Does your character have the fighting chops to beat their ingredients (I mean opponents) into submission? Are they sweet enough to melt the hearts of the audience? Is your character a mastermind, ready to craft a delightful dish of entertainment for the fans? NOTE: You will not be required to fake cook or real cook onstage.

Your characters don't need to be "chefs" or "cooks"! If you have a cosplay of a character that you think would be a crowd favorite, a great fighter, a slump on the floor - then sign up to participate!
Applications for Cosplay Death Match and all other Cosplay Games events open on January 1st 2020.

Details on how to apply coming soon. Check back here or Anime Boston Social Media for updates.

:!: Anime Boston is a part of the non-profit organization: the New England Anime Society (NEAS). In alignment with NEAS' mission statement, we generally only accept applications of characters that hail from Japanese-origin media (anime, manga, video games). This means that any submissions from non-Japanese media like Marvel, DC, Stephen Universe, Avatar, Overwatch, etc. will likely be turned down. Very few exceptions are granted.

So get your cosplays ready and get ready to cook up a great competition this year!
Andrey Zholudok
AB Cosplay Games 2020
Assistant Cosplay Games Coordinator
Death Match Coordinator
ApocalypseUnicorn
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Anime Boston 2020 Cosplay Death Match

Post by ApocalypseUnicorn »

Hello! First, a massive CONGRATS and welcome on being the new Death Match coordinator!! I'm super excited to see what you do with the event!

Second, I do have a question about group applications. I noticed on the website it says that groups may apply with "up to four people". However, I know there have been groups much bigger in the past (The "My Hero Academia" group from last year comes to mind). I also know that these groups have typically been assembled by the coordinator, putting people form the same series together so more people can participate (which is an awesome thing and has helped me meet new people!). Basically, my question is, is four people the absolute cut off for how many people may apply in a group? Or is there some flexibility to that, within reason? My friends and I were planning a group, but we found more people who want to apply with the same series (and different characters), so rather than compete with each other, we figure make one larger group. Right now we have seven people, assuming no one drops out. Would this be acceptable, or would we have to apply as two separate groups and leave it to your discretion as what to do with us? Thanks in advance, and good luck with preparations!
Anime Boston 2019 Cosplays: Squidward (Spongebob the Musical), Drunk!Yuri Katsuki (Yuri!! On Ice), Light Yagami (Death Note), Connor (Detroit: Become Human), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Anime Boston 2020 Cosplans: Takumi Aldini (Food Wars), GreedLing (Fullmetal Alchemist), Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuden)
Cycrino
AB Alumni

Post by Cycrino »

Hello ApocalypseUnicorn - thank you for your question!

When it comes to the "4 member limit", this is a combination of the software configuration allowing groups of 4 - but mostly safety considerations.

To elaborate: When groups are as big as what you are describing, there is the risk of 2 similarly sized groups meeting and engaging in improvised stage combat. When that happens, there are a lot of moving parts, cosplayers, and props - there is a high possibility of someone getting hurt due to a mishap.

While we do bring in stage combat experts to help keep things safe, where there are so many people on stage, the chance of someone losing control or accidentally hitting someone else increases. All of the large groups that you have seen have been approved not just by the Death Match coordinator, but by the Cosplay Games leadership team.

To that end, the best advice I can give is to apply as separate groups. There will be a space for additional notes - just include the names/characters of everyone in your extended group and we will take that into consideration.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
Andrey Zholudok
AB Cosplay Games 2020
Assistant Cosplay Games Coordinator
Death Match Coordinator
End Sharpe
I'm new!

Post by End Sharpe »

I’m having trouble trying to figure out where to apply for the 2020 Cosplay Deathmatch. I read the information but I can’t find Cosplay HQ or how to submit my information and character. Is there someone I can contact for an application?
ksmurf
AB Alumni

Post by ksmurf »

Here is the link to Cosplay HQ - http://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/

Just log into the forums and then head on over!
You can also navigate via Anime Boston home page > navigation menu > Cosplay > Cosplay HQ. It's right between Cosplay Gatherings and Idol Showcase.

Full instructions for how to set up your costumes and apply to events can be found here: http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_games/#apply

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Alison Bird
Assistant Director of Programming 2022
Razorlin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Razorlin »

Cycrino would you be willing to DM me to answer a couple questions regarding the cosplay events? I’m going to be new to entering them so I want to clarify some stuff without broadcasting my ideas on here.
ksmurf
AB Alumni

Post by ksmurf »

Razorlin wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 pm Cycrino would you be willing to DM me to answer a couple questions regarding the cosplay events? I’m going to be new to entering them so I want to clarify some stuff without broadcasting my ideas on here.
Hi there - if you have specific questions you'd rather not share on the forums, you can use the Contact Us form on the website! Just look for "Cosplay Games Coordinator". We can answer any questions you may have.
Alison Bird
Assistant Director of Programming 2022