Cosplay and Props - Approval

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Cosplay and Props - Approval

Post by ksmurf »

This is a friendly reminder that props and cosplays cannot be pre-approved before the convention.

PROPS
Prop inspection is handled by Hynes Security Staff and the Boston Police. Whether a prop is permitted into the convention is at their discretion.

Please review the Anime Boston Prop Policy for details about the prop inspection process and guidelines for bringing a prop weapon to Anime Boston http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ies/#props.

Take note of the Prohibited Items list as well: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ited_items.

A helpful guideline to use is: hypothetically, if you hit someone with your prop (we do not condone this), who would break first - the person or your prop?

If the answer is 'the person', your weapon is less likely to be approved. Note: if the answer was 'the prop', this does not guarantee your prop will be approved.

When in doubt, we recommend leaving your prop at home, in your car, or in your hotel room.

COSPLAYS
Similarly, Anime Boston staff cannot pre-approve any cosplays.

Attendees are reminded that per our Convention Rules:
3. Appropriate attire is required at all times, including shoes, pants/shorts/skirts, and shirts/tops.
For more information on the convention rules and policies: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... eral_rules
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
mono.mi
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Cosplay and Props - Approval

Post by mono.mi »

I do not expect pre-approval, however I would like to know if fake knives such as plastic knives or knives made out of cardboard and plaster are allowed? Sorry if I am asking this in the wrong place or if this is a dumb question...
Anime Boston 2019
Friday: Qipao Yohane
Saturday: Qipao Yohane
Bennigata
Expert Poster

Post by Bennigata »

mono.mi wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm I do not expect pre-approval, however I would like to know if fake knives such as plastic knives or knives made out of cardboard and plaster are allowed? Sorry if I am asking this in the wrong place or if this is a dumb question...
It's really a case by case thing. When we say we can't pre-approve, we mean that the final say is always going to go to Hynes security. There may have been fake knives in the past, but security gets the last say. Ksmurf's guideline of "what breaks first, the prop or a person" is a good one to keep in mind. Use your best judgement.
Shiki

Post by Shiki »

This may sound like a stupid question, and I apologize beforehand, but would http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/#23 prohibit most cosplays of the Millennium organization from Hellsing and, more importantly, the Longinus Dreizehn Orden from Dies Irae?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Shiki wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm This may sound like a stupid question, and I apologize beforehand, but would http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/#23 prohibit most cosplays of the Millennium organization from Hellsing and, more importantly, the Longinus Dreizehn Orden from Dies Irae?
Thank you for your question.

I will directly address the costumes you mentioned:

Millennium Organization from Hellsing - Many of the members from Millennium do wear the swastika somewhere on their persons. The use of this symbol is not permitted at Anime Boston. Similarly, Nazi regalia such as the armbands, pins, patches etc. are not permitted. The only exception is if the symbols are replaced with something that is not related to Nazis or any other hate group (i.e. swastika replaced with a duck).

Longinus Dreizehn Orden from Dies Irae - From what we can tell in reference images, the armbands do not actually portray the swastika or any Nazi symbols. Per my note above, these armbands would be permitted.
:!: IMPORTANT
While swapping out the symbols on armbands and other accessories would make the costumes permissible at Anime Boston, it is NOT recommended that these are worn outside of the convention center. Given the current political climate, many of these costumes could cause alarm in public and we want to ensure the safety of our attendees.

Please use common sense when planning your costumes and props if you intend to cosplay outside of the convention!
And finally: All cosplays are subject to Rule #23 at the convention and Anime Boston staff reserve the right to make final determination whether an object falls within these parameters.
Alison Bird
Shiki

Post by Shiki »

I tend to confirm my understanding by paraphrasing: So the black Hugo Boss-esque uniform is acceptable, though not recommended outside the convention premises, so long as there is no swastika on the armband. Fair enough. The LDO uses their own symbol, anyway.
LolaLeon
I'm new!

Post by LolaLeon »

Anyone know how AB feels about underboob?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

LolaLeon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 pm Anyone know how AB feels about underboob?
We are unable to pre-approve any cosplays before the convention.
Per our cosplay guidelines: revealing or offensive attire is prohibited and we ask attendees to avoid wearing attire that would be considered offensive to the general public. Convention, Hynes, Sheraton, and Prudential staff reserve the right to request that you cover up or change.

For more information, please see our cosplay-specific guidelines: http://animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/#15
Alison Bird
EddieSTah
I'm new!

Cosplay and Props Approval

Post by EddieSTah »

I have a cosplay that I want to do that requires a few airsoft guns as props. Will this be allowed if there are no BBs inside of the guns? What are the rules on them?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Re: Cosplay and Props Approval

Post by ksmurf »

EddieSTah wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:31 pm I have a cosplay that I want to do that requires a few airsoft guns as props. Will this be allowed if there are no BBs inside of the guns? What are the rules on them?
Airsoft guns are listed under the prohibited items:
http://animeboston.com/coninfo/conventi ... ited_items

For more information about weapons and props, please see:
Cosplay FAQ - http://animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/#18
Prop Policy - http://animeboston.com/coninfo/conventi ... ies/#props
Alison Bird
mainmarco
I'm new!

Post by mainmarco »

Hi, new to cosplay and props and I have a quick question. I was planning to be The Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2. As a result, I was planning to build a non-firing minigun that spins up using a small hand drill. I was curious if that would be allowed? I have seen fake firearms at AB before and well made props. If I am able to make it, are there any indicators I need to add? Such as making the front muzzle orange similar to most props. Any help would be great! Sorry if this is a bad question, I'm new to this and don't wanna make life hard on the staff!
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

mainmarco wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 am Hi, new to cosplay and props and I have a quick question. I was planning to be The Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2. As a result, I was planning to build a non-firing minigun that spins up using a small hand drill. I was curious if that would be allowed? I have seen fake firearms at AB before and well made props. If I am able to make it, are there any indicators I need to add? Such as making the front muzzle orange similar to most props. Any help would be great! Sorry if this is a bad question, I'm new to this and don't wanna make life hard on the staff!
Be advised that prop inspection is handled by Hynes Security Staff and the Boston Police - not Anime Boston staff. Whether a prop is permitted into the convention is the discretion of Hynes Security and Boston PD. Therefore staff can not pre-approve your prop nor can we tell you exactly what criteria a prop must meet to "pass".

Additionally, be aware that in accordance to Massachusetts General Law and Boston City Ordinance 16-5A, the Boston Police Department will treat anyone carrying realistic looking weapons as a legitimate thread and will take appropriate action. Therefore, prop weapons should not be carried outside the convention center. This includes in the Prudential Center.

For more details, please refer to our prop policies: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ies/#props

That said, some helpful guidelines are:
  • Hypothetically, if you hit someone with your prop (we do not condone this), who would break first - the person or your prop? If the answer is 'the person', your weapon is less likely to be approved.
    Note: if the answer was 'the prop', this does not guarantee your prop will be approved.
  • We also highly recommend, as you stated, making sure your gun prop has an orange tip.
  • Avoid using metal or other heavy materials.
When in doubt, we recommend leaving your prop at home, in your car, or in your hotel room.
Alison Bird
UBCSMercenary
I'm new!

Post by UBCSMercenary »

When it comes to tactical video game based cosplays from Zombie Survival Games such as Resident Evil 3 2020, for a cosplay of a character who uses real world weapons such as a Rifle based off or derived from the AR 15 series platform, hand grenades, and wears bulletproof body armor.

As for as the description of such type characters like S.T.A.R.S. members or Umbrella Special Forces go, what would be an acceptable way to Hynes security staff (that would not be inappropriate or offensive) of creating and incorporating make believe imitation versions of such types of paramilitary hardware or equipment as part of a costume of a character who uses such items?

As long as its verified by Hynes Security that it's not capable of firing anything and never was, I.E. the magazine doesn't detach, the chamber/action/bolt/slide/charging handle etc... don't move and the barrel not only has an orange tip, but also has no opening for anything to come out, and the cosplayer in posession of said prop is not misbehaving with it/acting in a manner with it that it would be interpreted by a reasonable person as anything other than just a cosume/prop, then would it be permitted as is under all those conditions above being met, or would there be additional criteria that must be met?

Also are there any rules on make up or body art depicting blood gore or wounds (Such as zombie bite Marks, headshot wounds, stab wounds, shrapnel wounds etc..?) If we were to cosplay as a Zombie or infected from a Resident Evil game?
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

UBCSMercenary wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 am
As long as its verified by Hynes Security that it's not capable of firing anything and never was, I.E. the magazine doesn't detach, the chamber/action/bolt/slide/charging handle etc... don't move and the barrel not only has an orange tip, but also has no opening for anything to come out, and the cosplayer in posession of said prop is not misbehaving with it/acting in a manner with it that it would be interpreted by a reasonable person as anything other than just a cosume/prop, then would it be permitted as is under all those conditions above being met, or would there be additional criteria that must be met?
Let me be flat out straight here. No staff member is going to tell you that it will be approved, and what standards must be met and it will be approved.

Your description definitely fits the general guidelines of props that have passed muster historically, but one thing I would add is that it should not be metal AT ALL. Combine that with a durability test of "if I hit someone with said prop would the prop or the person break first" then you are even closer to a better outcome.

There have been scenarios where you not only have to worry about "inside" the building in a 'friendly environment, but also externally in the city proper, surrounded by muggles.

I understand the joy in cosplay and the enjoyment of building something screen accurate, however, we must acknowledge that we are still in public in an environment and city that has seen its fair share of "bad" things happen.

Please use common sense when planning your costumes and props if you intend to cosplay outside of the convention!
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

https://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/con ... ies/#props

Prop weapons should not be carried outside the convention center. The Boston Police Department will treat anyone carrying realistic looking weapons as a legitimate threat and will take appropriate action according to Massachusetts General Law and Boston City Ordinance 16-5A.

I actually looked, and it is actually 16-5B
https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/b ... -0-0-16617
16-5B REGULATING REPLICA FIREARMS IN THE CITY OF BOSTON.
16-5B.1 Definitions.
As used herein, the following word shall have the following meanings:
Replica firearm shall mean any toy, imitation, facsimile or replica pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, B-B gun, pellet gun, machine gun, or other similar simulated weapon which, because of its color, size, shape, or other characteristics, can reasonably be perceived to be a real firearm capable of firing a bullet or other projectile.
(Ord. 2015 c. 10 § 1)
16-5B.2 Regulation.
No person shall sell, offer to sell, possess, use, display or give away, any replica firearm on a public property unless:
a. The entire exterior surface of the imitation firearm is colored white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern; or
b. The imitation firearm is constructed entirely of transparent or translucent materials which permits unmistakable observation of the imitation firearm's complete contents; and
c. The barrel of the imitation firearm, other than the barrel of a water gun, is closed with a blase orange plug, permanently affixed, of the same material of which the imitation firearm is made, for a distance of not less than one-half inch from the front end of said barrel; and
d. The imitation firearm had legibly stamped thereon, the name of the manufacturer or some trade name, mark or brand by which the manufacturer can be readily identified; and
e. The imitation firearm does not have a laser pointer attached
(Ord. 2015 c. 10 § 1)
16-5B.3 Enforcement.
If any individual under eighteen (18) years of age is found with a replica firearm by a member of the Boston Police Department, the officer shall contact his or her parent or guardian to inform them that the individual has been found with a replica firearm on public property. Parents or guardians shall be informed that they will be able to pick up the replica firearms at the district station after twenty-four (24) hours. The officer shall confiscate the replica firearm and bring it to the district station for holding.
If the individual is over eighteen (18) years of age, the officer shall confiscate the replica firearm(s) and inform the individual that they can pick the item(s) up at the district station after twenty-four (24) hours.
(Ord. 2015 c. 10 § 1)
16-5B.4 Penalties.
Any individual found in violation of any provision of this section in a second or subsequent instance shall forfeit the weapon, contraband, or dangerous device giving rise to the violation of such section and be subject to a fine of fifty ($50.00) dollars.
(Ord. 2015 c. 10 § 1)
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

To summarize the points that have been made on the thread:
  • Staff cannot pre-approve costumes or props prior to the convention
  • While we have historical guidelines that have been acceptable, following these guidelines is not a guarantee your prop or cosplay will be approved
  • In the city of Boston, if the police see something that looks like a weapon in public (orange tip or not), they may treat it as a threat and respond accordingly; it is not recommended you openly carry realistic prop weapons in public spaces
UBCSMercenary wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 am Also are there any rules on make up or body art depicting blood gore or wounds (Such as zombie bite Marks, headshot wounds, stab wounds, shrapnel wounds etc..?) If we were to cosplay as a Zombie or infected from a Resident Evil game?
All makeup should be sealed to ensure it does not cause damage to the convention center or other attendees. Keep in mind that we are a family-friendly convention, so use common sense when determining what is appropriate. Please refer to our Costume FAQ for other costume requirements - https://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/
Alison Bird
RavyNevermore

Post by RavyNevermore »

Hi! Forgive me if there are already rules outlining this, but does a prop bow count as a projectile weapon? I thought I might have read somewhere that bows are okay if they're not strung but I can't find anything about that now so I might be misremembering another convention's rules. Is it okay to have a string on it as long as there isn't enough tension to shoot anything? I'm still making the prop so I'm flexible (heh pun) with how I create it. Thanks!
— Ravy
Etsy | Twitter | Instagram
Bennigata
Expert Poster

Post by Bennigata »

RavyNevermore wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:57 pm Hi! Forgive me if there are already rules outlining this, but does a prop bow count as a projectile weapon? I thought I might have read somewhere that bows are okay if they're not strung but I can't find anything about that now so I might be misremembering another convention's rules. Is it okay to have a string on it as long as there isn't enough tension to shoot anything? I'm still making the prop so I'm flexible (heh pun) with how I create it. Thanks!
As always, we are unable to pre-approve anything prior to the convention, and the final say would go down to security, but I would imagine a prop bow that could be shown to be unusable would be alright, especially if there were no projectiles with it. Again, it would be down to security's discretion in the end.
n3m0tic
I'm new!

Post by n3m0tic »

I know the question has already been answered regarding airsoft weapons. But, I remember seeing a Rook (Rainbow Six Siege) cosplay carrying an airsoft gun back in AB 2019. I'm assuming he must have gutted the thing, considering he managed to bring the thing in despite the rule of no airsoft gun. So, I'm asking. Would gutting an airsoft AEG of its internals slightly improve its chances of being allowed as a prop, or would it still be a hard no?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

n3m0tic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 am I know the question has already been answered regarding airsoft weapons. But, I remember seeing a Rook (Rainbow Six Siege) cosplay carrying an airsoft gun back in AB 2019. I'm assuming he must have gutted the thing, considering he managed to bring the thing in despite the rule of no airsoft gun. So, I'm asking. Would gutting an airsoft AEG of its internals slightly improve its chances of being allowed as a prop, or would it still be a hard no?
Unfortunately, we can't offer any additional clarity than what has already been stated in this thread. That cosplayer might have had a fully gutted airsoft gun or merely had a replica made from that looked like an airsoft gun. Since the prop weapon policy is enforced by the Hynes Security and Boston Police on site, we can't make that call before the convention.

If you have doubts or concerns, we'd recommend erring on the side of caution and leave the prop at home, in your hotel room, or in your car.
Alison Bird
faedissa
I'm new!

Post by faedissa »

Question about the wheeled mobility devices - any idea if skateboards without wheels are permitted? I understand Hynes likely doesn’t want people skateboarding through the property, so if it’s only functionally a prop, has that been acceptable previously?
demonkingkuroko99
I'm new!

Post by demonkingkuroko99 »

Concerned not about whether the prop is allowed per se but if i can enter into the convention. i have a set of wings with wire to hold the frame. this has to go on underneath my clothing so i would need to disrobe to pass the security metal detectors. is a pass through security likely if i wear these wings?
he/him
Kuroko99 everywhere online
21+
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

faedissa wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:27 pm Question about the wheeled mobility devices - any idea if skateboards without wheels are permitted? I understand Hynes likely doesn’t want people skateboarding through the property, so if it’s only functionally a prop, has that been acceptable previously?
Unfortunately, as the prop policies are enforced at the discretion of Hynes Security and the Boston Police, we really can't say whether they would consider a skateboard without wheels to be acceptable or whether they would flag it because skateboards are on the list of prohibited items - with wheels or without.
Alison Bird
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

demonkingkuroko99 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:58 pm Concerned not about whether the prop is allowed per se but if i can enter into the convention. i have a set of wings with wire to hold the frame. this has to go on underneath my clothing so i would need to disrobe to pass the security metal detectors. is a pass through security likely if i wear these wings?
Since the security checks at the entrances to the convention are handled by Hynes staff and the Boston Police, we can't say with certainty exactly what checks beyond the scanners they will use to enforce the security policies.

That said, if your costume contains metal components, you will most likely be flagged for additional checks. If you are able to remove your wings, you might be asked to do so. Be prepared to explain what parts of your costume are metal if they ask you.
Alison Bird
Lunar_Forged
I'm new!

Post by Lunar_Forged »

Just out of my curiosity, if a prop sword had some aluminum strut for structural support but the outside was otherwise entirely plastic would it likely be disapproved?

Thank you.
Last edited by Lunar_Forged on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Lunar_Forged wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:37 pm Just out of my curiosity, if a prop sword had some aluminum strut for structural support but the outside was otherwise entirely plastic would it likely be disapproved?

Thank you.
Unfortunately, we cannot speak to whether a prop would be approved or disapproved as whether a prop is allowed into the convention or not is at the discretion of Hynes security and the Boston Police when the prop is presented for security check.

Historically, props made of heavier and more durable materials (like metal or solid wood) are less likely to be approved, but ultimately that is the decision of Hynes security and BPD. If you are concerned, we recommend leaving your prop in your car or hotel room (if available).
Alison Bird
Octopat
I'm new!

Post by Octopat »

Alright, forgive me for being a noob to this, but would a cat-boy butler (like from the male Nekopara) be an acceptable cosplay to wear? I’m making sure of this before I get too committed to this 😅
Octopat
I'm new!

Post by Octopat »

Alright, forgive me for being a noob to this, but would a cat-boy butler (like from the male Nekopara) be an acceptable cosplay to wear? I’m making sure of this before I get too committed to this 😅
Luscia
Experienced Poster

Post by Luscia »

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out. I'm planning a cosplay of Death the Kid for next year and would like to carry his signature guns. I know in Boston the props need to have an orange tip, so my question is does the orange tip need to br attached like on most cap guns or can it be painted on? (I have 2 dollar store guns that I want to customize for this but they don't have the plastic orange tips)
Anime Boston 2014 Drama Entry-Sealing My Fate
Anime Boston 2015 Drama Entry- Living Legacy, Romance Entry- Love is Love
Anime Boston 2016 Fun/Comedy Entry-1000 Provisions, Action Entry- Badass Freakin Overlords, Dood!
Anime Boston 2017 Other Entry- We Remember Legends
Anime Boston 2018 Roance Entry- Don't Take Your Eyes off Me
musemusemue
I'm new!

Post by musemusemue »

Hello, my cosplay character have thin and long spike crown, I want to 3d print them out with very low infill, about 5%, so they are quiet crisp, but pointy at the same time.
I think if that hit people, it will definetly break, but its poke-y.
if that crown stay on top of my head all the time, how con-safe would you think it is?
I understand that prop can't be pre-approved.
Thanks a lot!
tiwatogawa
I'm new!

Post by tiwatogawa »

Considering the Anime Boston Prop Policy, how should I modify my Mandalorian cosplay's blaster prop to ensure it adheres to the guidelines and passes inspection by the Hynes Security Staff and the Boston Police? I'm aiming for authenticity while ensuring the prop is clearly non-functional and safe according to the convention's standards.

I've already read about the prohibited items
https://www.animeboston.com/policy/conv ... ited-items.
but I'd like to know if there's anything else special I need or any tips. Sorry, I'm new to this.
kila

Post by kila »

Octopat wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:37 pm Alright, forgive me for being a noob to this, but would a cat-boy butler (like from the male Nekopara) be an acceptable cosplay to wear? I’m making sure of this before I get too committed to this 😅
The Nekopara butlers seem to be fully dressed so while it isn't a guarantee, I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed. Butlers and maids (as well as nekomimi) are common in anime and at cons. Unless there is a butler catboy I'm not seeing who carries a weapon :D

ETA: I did see some catboy maid Genshin characters last year, if it helps.