Regarding Props: Or what Exactly would I have to do,...

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
SarCaustic
Getting the hang of this...

Regarding Props: Or what Exactly would I have to do,...

Post by SarCaustic »

.. To a skateboard ( or skateboard
-shaped item) to be able to tote it around with me?
I'm cosplaying Misaki from K-project and having his skateboard is a mildly important part of it, so I was curious if there was any way to modify one so I can carry it? If I could get some Staff input on this I would be sooooo happy.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Re: Regarding Props: Or what Exactly would I have to do,...

Post by RapaxGuardian »

While I can't answer for staff, I would suggest maybe doing a skateboard-shaped prop (preferably something lightweight, since I'm assuming you'll be lugging it around with you!), and have it be just skateboard-shaped, no wheels on the bottom.
I wouldn't recommend wood, maybe a really lightweight wood? But some material durable enough it won't be disintegrating like styrofoam, but flexible enough you can pose with it and not have it breaking apart or disintegrating!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Mosquito1945
AB Staff

Post by Mosquito1945 »

FYI, from the Cosplay FAQ:
The convention center has a strict rule prohibiting anything with wheels (excluding mobility assistance devices like wheelchairs, of course).
So, while I'm sure there's a way you'll be able to do it, but you're gonna wanna make it look like you have wheels vs. actually having something that you could scoot around on.

You could probably use insulation foam as a base. It would be lighter than wood and people make props out of it all the time.
Kate Harrison
Asst. Merchandising Manager
DemonGirl-Setsuna
Veteran Poster

Post by DemonGirl-Setsuna »

I suggest making the prop out of form-board. (The stiff poster-board type)

You could shaped the base & wheels out of it, and attach the crafted wheels to a thin dowel-rod & attach the rod to the base.

It'll be light-weight!
AB 2024 Cosplay(s);

~ To be Announced... ~

Been attending Anime Boston since 2010!
*Survived the Con Depression of 2020-2021*
SarCaustic
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SarCaustic »

Would it be alright to have a actual skateboard but altered enough ( gluing or sauntering the tracks and wheel into *complete* immobility) to be essentially a board with metal and plastic screwed on?
chibisprite
Experienced Poster

Post by chibisprite »

SarCaustic wrote:Would it be alright to have a actual skateboard but altered enough ( gluing or sauntering the tracks and wheel into *complete* immobility) to be essentially a board with metal and plastic screwed on?
Not staff, so not an official answer but there is a general rule of thumb regarding props -

If you hit someone with your prop, which would break first? If it's the prop, you should be okay. If it's the person, better to consider a totally different option and forget about that particular prop.

Replies above suggest forgoing the skateboard at all and just craft something out of foam/foamboard/some other material. That way the board wouldn't be as heavy to carry around either.

Personal note - I've been hit by and have hit someone (both cases accidentally), with a skateboard. They can hurt pretty bad depending on the health/age of the person and where the impact happens.
Cosplay List
In Progress - Big Poe (Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time)
Planned - Ursula (Disney's The Little Mermaid), Rosa The Subrosian (Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons)

~Chibi
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

ChibiSprite wrote:
SarCaustic wrote:Would it be alright to have a actual skateboard but altered enough ( gluing or sauntering the tracks and wheel into *complete* immobility) to be essentially a board with metal and plastic screwed on?
Not staff, so not an official answer but there is a general rule of thumb regarding props -

If you hit someone with your prop, which would break first? If it's the prop, you should be okay. If it's the person, better to consider a totally different option and forget about that particular prop.

Replies above suggest forgoing the skateboard at all and just craft something out of foam/foamboard/some other material. That way the board wouldn't be as heavy to carry around either.

Personal note - I've been hit by and have hit someone (both cases accidentally), with a skateboard. They can hurt pretty bad depending on the health/age of the person and where the impact happens.
This is something I was told by friend that used to run the FedEx inside the Hynes (he got promoted to one of their other locations): Hynes & Pru security do not like seeing skateboards even being carried around. They will tell people carrying them to put them in a bag OR leave the building. The only wheels Security wants to see are in use by the public are on wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Per the convention policies:
2.All items as listed in the Prohibited Items list are not allowed. There are no exceptions to this, regardless as to whether the item is functional or not.
Skateboards are under the Prohibited Items list, therefore they are not allowed whether functional or not.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Like the others suggested, make a lighter weight foam board of a skateboard. and if you desire to be hands free of it, may i suggest tie a yarn string or clear string ( like the clear straps of a bra) underneath the board from the front wheels to the back. Throw it over your shoulder like a messenger bag, or cross it over. Hope that helps. Or if you really want it out of the way, attach two strings and wear it like a back pack. ;D
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone