AB Policy Regarding Professional Photo Shoot Sessions

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Faceman
AB Executive

AB Policy Regarding Professional Photo Shoot Sessions

Post by Faceman »

Recently there have been a number of posts in the Cosplay and Masquerade forums advertising professional photo shoots. Several of them have listed charges, be it for the photo shoot as a whole or for materials. This goes against the Anime Boston Social Media Policy, specifically regarding solicitation:
Unauthorized solicitation on the forums is not allowed. Posts selling or promoting services and products will be removed. Exceptions are made for participants in the Artists' Alley and Dealers' Room.
While we can understand how nice it is to have a quality photo shoot for your cosplay, the Anime Boston forums are not the place for photographers to advertise their services. Please utilize the forums over on http://www.cosplay.com if you want to advertise in this capacity.

Threads and posts advertising paid services and products for photo shoots will be removed. Continued posting of such will result in a ban from the forums.

What we will allow posting for, is if someone is offering free photo shoots to attendees. Some photographers simply wish to practice, build a portfolio, or just want to be nice. Because the services are free, we don't have any concern about them in terms of advertising. But they must be completely free - including services, materials, shipping, etc. If you contact a free posting for a photo shoot, and they inform you over PM that there will be a charge, please let us know. Also, if you've done a free photo shoot and the photographer tries to charge you afterwards for services or materials, please realize that you are under no obligation to pay.

On another note regarding the actual photo shoots themselves, the Hynes Convention Center charges Anime Boston specifically for space to sell goods and services, namely the Dealers' Room and Artists' Alley. If you are selling your goods or services in the Hynes, it must take place in one of those locations at an authorized table/booth. If you are interested in setting up and selling professional photo shoot services, I recommend purchasing booth space in the Dealers' Room.

If you have space in the Dealers' Room for photo shoots, you will be allowed to advertise selling your services on the forums. Just please note in your post that you'll be in the Dealers' Room, so we're aware you have space.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post here or PM me. Thank you.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
cmj0310
Experienced Poster

Re: AB Policy Regarding Professional Photo Shoot Sessions

Post by cmj0310 »

Sorry for problem. I did not realize. I will fix my post :).
songsilence
Getting the hang of this...

Post by songsilence »

I'm not entirely familiar with your policies, but I guess I'll ask, just in case.

Will there be a designated area(s) where large groups can take photos without clogging up the hallways? I know last year you guys had the gardens, but the weather was behaving badly, so I was hoping an indoor area might be opened up to accommodate. Even just a room, cleared of chairs and other obstacles, could accommodate more than one group if we all shared the space like civilized otaku. :?
runawaysorcery
Getting the hang of this...

Post by runawaysorcery »

songsilence wrote:I'm not entirely familiar with your policies, but I guess I'll ask, just in case.

Will there be a designated area(s) where large groups can take photos without clogging up the hallways? I know last year you guys had the gardens, but the weather was behaving badly, so I was hoping an indoor area might be opened up to accommodate. Even just a room, cleared of chairs and other obstacles, could accommodate more than one group if we all shared the space like civilized otaku. :?
This is an awesome idea! I'm not sure how many are familiar with what happen to the 2015 Saturday RWBY photoshoot but it was insane weather with the wind. We had 50+ people so staff asked us to go outside and i have never seen so many wigs and props disheveled so quickly. Link to the only record of the event which is a video because it was too windy to even take photos
https://www.facebook.com/ashley.hehir.1 ... 280561027/

edit:
this gem of a video as well in which wigs fall off
https://www.facebook.com/emily.m.harper ... age_bubble
AB2016 Line-Up:
Friday: Lightning Farron with Oerba Yun Fang in the Deathmatch!
Saturday: Weiss Schnee
Sunday: Danny Vasquez

All my cosplays: Weiss Schnee, Lightning Farron, Cassandra Pentaghast, Danny Vasquez, Izana Shinatose, Asami Sato, Inquisitor Lavellan, Avatar Korra, Ramona Flowers
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

I am a father (and amateur photographer) going to AB for the second time. While my daughter and her friend stroll the convention (and my wife hides in our room) I like to take photos of the cosplayers.

Last year I just found little hidey spots and took photos. What I'd love to do is set up a background and some lights along level two in the "Pre-function Hall C" area (near rooms 207 or 208)where I saw some other photographers set up last year. I do NOT charge for my photos. I post them all on facebook in web format without watermarks and on another website for printable photos (free to download).

I'd love to know if I could do this and what I'd have to go through to get the permissions necessary (including bringing all the gear through the entry and the use of an electrical wall outlet to plug an extension cord and my lights into).

We will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday.

Thank you very much for any and all information. Links to the photos I took last year are included in my "Signature."
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

WertPhotography wrote:I'd love to know if I could do this and what I'd have to go through to get the permissions necessary (including bringing all the gear through the entry and the use of an electrical wall outlet to plug an extension cord and my lights into).
Trying asking our Director of Operations. I suspect that the answer to this question will be that you cannot bring your own lights, but it is worth a shot asking them.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography »

Kiarrens wrote: Trying asking our Director of Operations. I suspect that the answer to this question will be that you cannot bring your own lights, but it is worth a shot asking them.
Thank you. A message has been sent.
MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa »

WertPhotography wrote:
Kiarrens wrote: Trying asking our Director of Operations. I suspect that the answer to this question will be that you cannot bring your own lights, but it is worth a shot asking them.
Thank you. A message has been sent.
I've seen photographers set up tables in "Con Alley" (the hallway by the Dealer's Room), too. There was one table last year that had the whole studio set-up complete with a backdrop. It might worth checking to see how much one of those tables costs, and if any are still available.
Amanda Graves
Cosplay Guest Coordinator 2024
Masquerade Assistant Coordinator 2023
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2022
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018 - 2019

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

songsilence wrote:I'm not entirely familiar with your policies, but I guess I'll ask, just in case.

I have a pretty big group myself: I suggested we meet at the big Microsoft square in the mall (just to meet up) and then we'd all decide where we want to go, you can feel free to use that suggestion and run with it.

I only did that because it's close to the Japanese food place we'd eat at that way if people wanted to we could eat and run, or eat and stay as long as we wanted to.... it's not the best location for a photo shoot

and last year the combine photo shoot i was in, we took pictures next to PF Changs (if that's still there) we might just do that ... cause it was such a big place
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Please do not necropost. The post you were replying to was from 2013.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

This thread is a little old, but I was wondering is it allowed if we have professional photographers take pics of us at AB that we pay for even if they don't have dealer's hall space? They wouldn't be advertised on these forums at all, i contacted them through instagram.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

foreverfinn wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm This thread is a little old, but I was wondering is it allowed if we have professional photographers take pics of us at AB that we pay for even if they don't have dealer's hall space? They wouldn't be advertised on these forums at all, i contacted them through instagram.
Please read through the initial post again.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009