For those who may not know me, I'm Roo! I've been on the Idol Showcase team at Anime Boston since 2019, but this year I will be stepping up as the primary Idol Showcase Coordinator. Please refer to this thread for additional information regarding this year's Idol Showcase, and feel free to reply with any questions or concerns you may have for the event going forward.
♪♪ Anime Boston's Idol Showcase: Overview ♪♪
The Idol Showcase is a one day event held at Anime Boston each year that provides cosplay + dance-centric idol groups a chance to perform an original or covered song(s) of their choosing. As the title suggests, this event is an opportunity for individuals and groups of all experience levels, from new debuts to seasoned groups, to showcase their idol charisma and celebrate our community and appreciation for all things idol. Each accepted performance will be given either a 4 or 5 minute maximum time slot (dependent on the number of group members) during which the selected song/mashup of songs will be played for the participant to perform their corresponding choreography live on stage.
The Idol Showcase is not a judged competition. Instead, our event gives idol performers a platform to shine bright on the main stage and exhibit their dance skills, cosplays, and idol charm alongside a passionate, ever-growing community!
* ( Note: As per Anime Boston rule of thumb, the Idol Showcase consists of performances derivative of Japanese idol anime, mobile/video games, or manga series. K-pop and other non-Japanese entries will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but are not generally accepted. )
♪♪ Requirements: Cosplay ♪♪
Unlike the Masquerade, costumes for the Idol Showcase do not need to be handmade. While cosplay is required for acceptance into the Idol Showcase, the inspiration behind the Idol Showcase is heavily focused on performance over craftsmanship. That doesn't go to say that homemade costumes are discouraged, applicants with handmade costumes are more than welcome to apply. However, entries will be evaluated with a focus on performance capability and energy rather than costume quality.
- While cosplays of official outfits/canon character designs are amongst the greater majority of our show, custom designs and original idols are also permitted.
- Cosplay is not a requirement for auditions. However, when possible and preferred, participants are encouraged to record their audition videos in their performance-specific costumes, even if only certain elements of the cosplays are accessible at the time of recording (wigs, shoes, partial cosplays, etc.).
Each performance will be allowed no more than 4 minutes for groups of 5 members or less. Groups with 6 or more members will be permitted a time slot of no more than 5 minutes. Applications must contain a working MP3 file of the song you have chosen to perform that is already cut down (if necessary) in order to meet the time limit corresponding to the number of members in your application.
- While pre-existing songs from official idol series are preferred, original songs and personal covers are allowed. However, with our current setup and technological accessibility, original songs and self-covers will be evaluated more thoroughly, and may only be accepted if the production quality of the song is indistinguishable from that of our other professionally recorded participant-selected songs.
- Live singing is not supported by the Idol Showcase at this time. All performances may only utilize songs that have been pre-recorded and approved by staff. If you are interested in singing live, please check out out our brand new Cosplay Singer event!
- The MP3 file of the song uploaded with your application MUST be the song you intend to perform on stage. Assembly of our lineup takes time, and we cannot accept song swaps/significant changes of song length after applications close.
- Please make sure to download/upload the song used in your application at it's best quality. By default, this file will be what we play over the auditorium speakers for your performance. Do not add any heavy audio filters, and when necessary, please export your audio file at the highest possible quality. Tip: Try listening to the song file both with headphones and over your speaker/on multiple devices to ensure there are no notable quality issues!
Applications must include an audition video for consideration. Audition videos do not need to contain all group members in cosplay, but the more complete and polished the video is, the better it will be received.
- Audition video MUST contain the song/choreography the participant intends to perform at the Idol Showcase in the event of acceptance.
- Videos should be raw and uncut. While videos with one or numerous mid-audition cuts will not result in automatic disqualification, we strongly advise against cutting or editing audition videos.
- For large groups, it is not required for all members of the performance to be in the audition video. However, again, the more members that will be in the in the performance that are present in the audition video, the better the application will be received and the greater the chances are of acceptance.
- Audition video may be a direct upload or a link to the video file via Google Drive.
♪♪ APPLICATION DEADLINE: ♪♪
Applications for the Idol Showcase 2023 will be open from January 1st to March 1st of 2023. All applicants will be able to edit/update their application through Cosplay HQ until March 1st at 11:59 PM. Please make sure that your application contains all the necessary requirements/accurate information by then.
Looking forward to our best Idol Showcase yet, here's to the year of the idols! Ganba!