Rule Clarification Craftsmanship [Closed/Answered]

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
AznLife
I'm new!

Rule Clarification Craftsmanship [Closed/Answered]

Post by AznLife »

Mainly because its been a while and i cant seem to find the rules (if someone could point me in the right direction i would be thankful) But what was the ruling on applying with a character you done in the past. I believe last i check (2017) it was as long as your re-made the cosplay and are not using the same exact one you could. Is that correct? or is it you cant do a character you've already done

Answer: Provided that the entire costume is remade in its entirety you can apply for the contest with it.
Last edited by AznLife on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ksmurf
AB Staff

Re: Rule Clarification Craftsmanship

Post by ksmurf »

The rules for 2022 have not yet been posted, but they will appear here: https://animeboston.com/cosplay/masquerade/

If memory serves, you are correct: Individuals who plan to participate in the Masquerade may not wear a costume at the Masquerade that was worn for any previous competition at Anime Boston.

I believe a completely different outfit / costume design (e.g. Sailor Moon senshi uniform vs. Princess Serenity gown) counts as a different costume. However, if you have specific questions about the eligibility of your costume, I recommend you reach out to the Masquerade Coordinator - https://animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/
Alison Bird
Assistant Director of Programming 2022
AznLife
I'm new!

Post by AznLife »

To further my example in case anyone else sees this post and may have any insight on the matter. One year I had entered the contest as Berserker from Fate/Zero id essentially like to go as Berserker again but using a completely new costume that i am planning to craft as i have moved and the original costume was destroyed in the move.

The design of the character is going to be the same as the variation of the character is far and few. If i where to make a claim to what is different i guess i will portraying his noble phantasm better. So in a way you could say it would be Berserker Ver. Noble Phantasm but the essence of the character is the same.

(I also have emailed the coordinator but i thought id post an example in case)

End of the day its the same character(Kinda) but a completely newly crafted costume that is far from the original one i made
ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf »

Thanks for the additional clarification. At this point, the correct step is to email the coordinator to review a specific costume for the Masquerade, which it sounds like you've done.

We are still onboarding our staff, so it may be a few weeks before you get a response. Thanks for your patience!
Alison Bird
Assistant Director of Programming 2022