Possible suggestion for AB08 regarding water.

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
mosquitoboy
Expert Poster

Post by mosquitoboy »

Is there any way that Ab could get a sponsor like Dassani, or Aquafina or even a smaller company like Cumberland Farms to supply tons of bottles of water that you could keep in tubs.

I just hear a lot of complaints about not having enough water. I myself dislike how the convention center doesn't have water fountains (or at least I could not find them, nor did the security guards know of where they were.)

The people who were selling water at the Hynes were selling it for $2.50. I laughed when they told me the price and went to the bathroom and cupped my hands under the sink. I am unaware of any deals Anime Boston may have with them, so this suggestion may not be possible.
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=mosquitoboy]
I myself dislike how the convention center doesn't have water fountains (or at least I could not find them, nor did the security guards know of where they were.)
[/quote]

I'm surprised security couldn't tell you, they were near all of the bathrooms I visited.

Anyway I think really the convention center and hotel needs to do a better job of refilling the coolers. That's a much cheaper and better way to go. Bottled water would be a lot harder to keep stocked I would think.
Kuroshiro
Experienced Poster

Post by Kuroshiro »

I know, the water was sparse, and I relied on a sole bubbler in the Dealer's Room. I also had some of the water they had in the Game Room's Bronze Cooler thing and it tasted horrible, but I just got off of the DDR Machine, so I didn't really care then, but it tasted like plastic and ass. I really like that idea.
mosquitoboy
Expert Poster

Post by mosquitoboy »

Really, in the Hynes? Wow I found 2 bathrooms without them, and the official security... like they guys in the uniforms, told me there were none.

How sad. Oh well, then I guess maby signs would be more appropriate for this situation :D
Kuroshiro
Experienced Poster

Post by Kuroshiro »

There was also a small Water Cooler in the RPG/TCG room. It was usually empty though -_-
RustyNail
Getting the hang of this...

Post by RustyNail »

I went to the nurse Saturday morning because I wasn't feeling well, and she said I was probably dehydrated. She told me a lot of kids get dehydrated. I think this water idea is a good one.
tmchiba
Veteran Poster

Post by tmchiba »

I am a huge fan of this con and think 99 percent of what happens there is awesome, but I also wish there was much more water available throughout the con center. Especially with panel rooms being filled. It would be good to have greater access to water.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Kuroshiro]I know, the water was sparse, and I relied on a sole bubbler in the Dealer's Room. I also had some of the water they had in the Game Room's Bronze Cooler thing and it tasted horrible, but I just got off of the DDR Machine, so I didn't really care then, but it tasted like plastic and ass. I really like that idea.[/quote]

We thought it tasted like someone dissolved ibuproufen in it, haha...glad I'm not the only one who noticed the funny taste of the game room water!
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Eiri
Expert Poster

Post by Eiri »

It... wasn't just the water. The AIR in there had a bad taste >_<
Tohru-chan
Expert Poster

Post by Tohru-chan »

That would be a good idea. Sadly I couldn't go to '07 at last minute, but in '06 there wasn't much water either and I can see where thats coming from.

But they already have the job of running a con with [what? 10k people this year, i think?]

It would probably be a good idea to maybe buy a few cheap water bottles and bring them with you? It can save you the hassle, and at some places they sell bottled water for a dollar something, or you can get more than one for $2.50 at least. :P
hikura
Veteran Poster

Post by hikura »

If anyone just walked out of the convention doors and walked like a half of a block to wal-greens you could have brought a big one liter bottle of water and kept refilling it like i did.Cost of the water was like 1.65.
Or bring some sort of sports bottle with you and keep refilling it.
The only thing i had to say about the water from the tap is that it never got cold and not saying it tasted bad but had a different taste to it the water in my area.
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

Granted, there weren't water stations in the halls (I don't think the Hynes allows such things to be set up there), but every room I was in during the convention had at least one bubbler, if not more. I never had any problem obtaining water, though I did have to wait a short while at the dances, since the refills were sometimes slow in coming from the Sheraton.
Lizz Donnell
2003-2008 Guest Relations
2011 21+ Lounge
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

There was actually a water cooler in every room in the Hynes, It is part of the room setup that i ordered for specifically that reason.

I am surprised that you did not notice them, I know staff utilized them extensively.

As far as them being empty, All anyone had to do was notify a staffer and it would have been handled promptly.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
tmchiba
Veteran Poster

Post by tmchiba »

[quote=Aidan2]There was actually a water cooler in every room in the Hynes, It is part of the room setup that i ordered for specifically that reason.

I am surprised that you did not notice them, I know staff utilized them extensively.

As far as them being empty, All anyone had to do was notify a staffer and it would have been handled promptly.[/quote]

Personally I utilized the in room coolers a lot for water, though my concern was when I wasn't in a panel, which was often since I skipped some main events. I guess I could have ducked into a panel or video room to get more water, that just seemed disruptive to do. I understand what you're saying though. Though there probably is more individuals can do. Still.. I thought I'd agree with the sentiment that the more water out there the better. It is great that every room has water though.

Ratica
Veteran Poster

Post by Ratica »

[quote=Eiri]It... wasn't just the water. The AIR in there had a bad taste >_<[/quote]

It's the taste of gamer sweat.

BLEAUGH
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

Post by gmsenpai »

[quote=Aidan2]There was actually a water cooler in every room in the Hynes, It is part of the room setup that i ordered for specifically that reason.

As far as them being empty, All anyone had to do was notify a staffer and it would have been handled promptly.[/quote]

Ya, I mean there was nothing wrong with the water coolers. Don't listen to the jokes I made about them.

I drank from them and I only lost 3 toe nails. I'm just kidding.
purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

The water coolers in the video viewing rooms weren't too bad. The water was nice and cool and tasted fine. Especially when I tried to buy a drink at midnight and everything was closed.
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I was kinda pissed off at how little water there was at the convention. When we were upstairs on the third floor waiting for Laura Bailey's autograph session we were so thirsty and there were 2 bubblers near us but BOTH of them were broken. I wish that could've been fixed.

I basically drank soda the whole weekend.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
White_Hawks
Experienced Poster

Post by White_Hawks »

Soda will get you dehydrated though. Just a warning.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=White_Hawks]Soda will get you dehydrated though. Just a warning.[/quote]

I think that's why the poster was complaining about the lack of water. He/she could only find soda available.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=eidna][quote=White_Hawks]Soda will get you dehydrated though. Just a warning.[/quote]

I think that's why the poster was complaining about the lack of water. He/she could only find soda available.
[/quote]

Although I have to wonder if that was at least partially personal preference since most of the places I found bottled soda also had bottled water.
guardianhunter
Determined Poster

Post by guardianhunter »

I know at the dances I had a LOOOOT of you guys coming up to me and saying "There's no water".

We had to fill those things, I THINK *and don't quote me on this cause it was just what I saw*, like FOUR TIMES and THEN we brought out water bottles on top of that.

But yes, there were water stations in EVERY ROOM of the Hines (where we had panels/ME/stuff).
We're working on bettering this system for next year, I think. Hopefully it won't be mad crazy like.

=^_^=
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

[quote=guardianhunter]We had to fill those things, I THINK *and don't quote me on this cause it was just what I saw*, like FOUR TIMES and THEN we brought out water bottles on top of that.[/quote]

Next year we cannot bring out bottles of water. If they notice, the hotel will charge us an "uncorking fee" for each bottle of water (even if given out free). This time it just turned out they didn't notice, but we cannot take that chance.

Now, that doesn't mean we aren't working on a solution, just that the solution cannot be in the form of bringing in bottled water.
Keith Kyzivat
Assistant Director of Programming #2/Weekend Events Manager
Anime Boston 2014
ADProg 2011-2014, Co-Chair 2009-2010, VC 2007-2008,
Secretary+Merch Mgr 2006, Merch Mgr 2004-2005, Vol+Merch Mgr 2003
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=Keithel]
Next year we cannot bring out bottles of water. If they notice, the hotel will charge us an "uncorking fee" for each bottle of water (even if given out free). [/quote]

Does that mean they are going to run around and help us take the tops off of the bottles of water? I think it would be funny to see hotel staff reduced to that.

Sorry, that fee is just too dumb not to comment on.
Linker83
Expert Poster

Post by Linker83 »

I agree with this.

The masqueradge HQ and the photo room always had water...i saw water fountains ect.

I never had a problem.

Also someone mentioned Walgreens which is across the street from the hynes escalators. Good choice for a cheap 1 dollar bottle that you can refill.

Ive been to other cons..and AB definately has the best water setup ive seen.
DevilNeverCry
Probably should be on AB staff

Post by DevilNeverCry »

great idea. I know that I had alot more to drink this year than usual, but then again, I was around a lot more things that had water.

alot of it was stuff that the half of my group that came with me and Chrno but didn't go to the con bought for me walking around the city

Alot of the bubblers near the bathrooms in the convention centers that i know of don't work. It was good that there was one for the cosplayers getting their pictures taken with Bruce. That definately saved my hide, and the one that the masquerade staff had out for the cosplayers performing backstage. Other than that, I had no idea there was a bubbler in the dealer's room... would have saved me alot of trouble getting orange juice and stuffs...
krazikupo
Expert Poster

Post by krazikupo »

Yeah, I couldn't find ANY water fountains and the only water I knew of was in the artists alley (it was usually empty), in the manga library and in the bathroom. I kept having to steal cups and getting water from the bathroom Dx. Yum boston water -A-.
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

Every room in the Hynes had a water station. Every single one. Perhaps next year we should invest in some neon signs to hang above the coolers. ;)
Lizz Donnell
2003-2008 Guest Relations
2011 21+ Lounge
FjWolfwood
Veteran Poster

Post by FjWolfwood »

I just loved how everyone laughed at the fact that I always walked around with a bag with water bottles in it, until they noticed my outfit had four layers, and there was a lack of water anywhere near. Those other DDGers were very jealous by the end. <<