Dealers room and main events room

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
hikura
Veteran Poster

Post by hikura »

Just passing on my thoughts about the dealers room and main events room(since they were both on the same floor).
Now do not get me wrong just passing out my idea.If you can next year see about getting the dealers room back onto the first floor.Just it got crowded on the second floor for both the dealers room and the main events room.This way it would clear up the hallway for easier passing.If it can not be done it is okay.
socksgirl
Getting the hang of this...

Post by socksgirl »

Yes I was kind of wondering myself why the dealers room got moved. It seemed a lot smaller and a lot more cramped this year. Maybe if they moved the dealers room back to the large room downstairs and then put artists alley in the room where the dealers room was this year. Artists alley sells out SO fast we need more tables!
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Post by AliceTanzer »

We could not use the first floor this year. It was being used for something I beleive. Its a good thing, really, that we didn't use it, because there was some flooding on the first floor on Thursday+early Friday. It was raining in Main Events! :D
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Wraith
Experienced Poster

Post by Wraith »

Personally, I liked the Dealer's room upstairs, it freed up the halls on the first floor for taking photos of people! I also think it lessened that stuffy "too many people in a little space" feeling. However, I will agree that the room itself felt a little small. I just liked the lessened traffic on the first floor hallway, besides, the upstairs halls feel so roomy!

Raining in the Main Events room? Literally? Wow, that must have been scary.
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Wraith]

Raining in the Main Events room? Literally? Wow, that must have been scary.[/quote]
More SUPER bizarre than scary, but yeah it was raining. Some one broke something in the sprinkler system (not us, someone else) and luckilly nothing was seriously harmed. That is why the food on the first floor was not in the big carpetted banquetty area though, because it flooded in there too. The carpet was probably like a big sponge.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

AFAIK the 1st floor exhibition hall they used for the dealers room in the past and the 2nd floor ones they used (one of) this year are all the same exact size... right staff?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
AliceTanzer
Show-off

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]AFAIK the 1st floor exhibition hall they used for the dealers room in the past and the 2nd floor ones they used (one of) this year are all the same exact size... right staff?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure thats right.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'06 Security

CJ Gren
AB Executive

Post by CJ Gren »

I loved it being on the second and third floors this year. It made the con feel a lot less sardine like. ;)
Jennifer McDonald
Director of Guest Relations 2025
jnik
Show-off

Post by jnik »

[quote=socksgirl]Maybe if they moved the dealers room back to the large room downstairs and then put artists alley in the room where the dealers room was this year.[/quote]
Our space is contracted through 2010...we can't just pick up rooms like that.

It's possible to put the Artists' Alley in an exhibit hall if the artists are willing to pay $400 a space...we decided that didn't sound like a good idea.
Linker83
Expert Poster

Post by Linker83 »

Well the old artist alley was like abonded this year. Nothing was going on there this year. Seems like a great place for some photo shoots or something if that entire hallway isnt going to be used. Maybe set some lights up with a backdrop or something? Just another idea
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

[quote=Linker83]Well the old artist alley was like abonded this year. Nothing was going on there this year. Seems like a great place for some photo shoots or something if that entire hallway isnt going to be used. Maybe set some lights up with a backdrop or something? Just another idea[/quote]

We're not allowed to set up and use space that we haven't contracted and paid for. The Hynes doesn't have a squatter's right policy. ;) We can walk through any area we please, but setting up an official photostation is a different story entirely.
Lizz Donnell
2003-2008 Guest Relations
2011 21+ Lounge
hikura
Veteran Poster

Post by hikura »

The room itself was the same size as in ab05(i did not go to ab06).It just was that there seemed to be more dealers and more people hence why it seemed cramped.
The reason why i offered the suggestion was this way the hallway on the second floor would open up a little more.It seemed crowded on saturday.
Linker83
Expert Poster

Post by Linker83 »

[quote=Lizzard][quote=Linker83]Well the old artist alley was like abonded this year. Nothing was going on there this year. Seems like a great place for some photo shoots or something if that entire hallway isnt going to be used. Maybe set some lights up with a backdrop or something? Just another idea[/quote]

We're not allowed to set up and use space that we haven't contracted and paid for. The Hynes doesn't have a squatter's right policy. ;) We can walk through any area we please, but setting up an official photostation is a different story entirely.[/quote]

Money talks huh. So silly that a hallway that isnt even in use cant be used by people that are renting out a large amount of space.

:thumbdown: with money grubbers
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=Linker83][quote=Lizzard][quote=Linker83]Well the old artist alley was like abonded this year. Nothing was going on there this year. Seems like a great place for some photo shoots or something if that entire hallway isnt going to be used. Maybe set some lights up with a backdrop or something? Just another idea[/quote]

We're not allowed to set up and use space that we haven't contracted and paid for. The Hynes doesn't have a squatter's right policy. ;) We can walk through any area we please, but setting up an official photostation is a different story entirely.[/quote]

Money talks huh. So silly that a hallway that isnt even in use cant be used by people that are renting out a large amount of space.

:thumbdown: with money grubbers
[/quote]

But what if the space is rented out to someone else? Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they don't need the hallway to get around, load/unload an event that overlaps, etc.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that if your business is renting out space and someone didn't rent the space, that you don't let them use it. And if you are the event in question, you respect the fact that the person renting the space doesn't want you to use it, if for no other reason then because you never know what plans they may have made for it.
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

[quote=Linker83]Money talks huh. So silly that a hallway that isnt even in use cant be used by people that are renting out a large amount of space.

:thumbdown: with money grubbers[/quote]

*blinks*

"Money grubbers?" Because they won't let us use space we haven't paid for? That is such an odd statement to make....

The Hynes Convention Center is not a charity. It's a business. They make money by renting out the space (and keeping it maintained so that's it's available for such renting). Why would they let us use any of their space for free? That would be like a supermarket giving away its food for nothing. It defeats the whole purpose of the business.

The Hynes has been very good to the convention, and it has been very tolerant of our sometimes outrageous behavior. I don't think giving them a thumbs down is in order just because they won't let us have squatter's rights over areas of the center we didn't even pay for. :o That's "entitlement" out of control!
Lizz Donnell
2003-2008 Guest Relations
2011 21+ Lounge