idea for 09 - >about lining up for panels and events

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

as an observer, i felt that a lot of people wasted their time in lines this year. So i had a thought that might make the con run a bit smoother and be more enjoyable for all.
So i propose that, similar to the autograph policy, the con limit the ability for people to line up at a main event or panel to a half hour before the event.

it also helps because i.e. i was thinking of going to the pillows concert at 1230, and the line was already so monstrous there was no concievable way that was going to happen.

also i saw people getting in line for the masquerade 2-3 hours beforehand.

i think people do it becuase they are afraid they wont get in, or not get good seats. but i think it would level a lot of anxieties and make the con alot easier if there was an across the board policy like that.

plus it would encourage people to enjoy the con becuase the wont feel as though they need to get in line so early.

just an idea that i feel strongly about
YagamiRaito
Veteran Poster

Post by YagamiRaito »

This sounds like a good idea.
Superbus
Determined Poster

Post by Superbus »

I'd also like to throw in an idea of closing lines after they get big, keeping space avalible and letting people go do other things.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=Superbus]I'd also like to throw in an idea of closing lines after they get big, keeping space avalible and letting people go do other things.[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea, mainly for Main Events.
It would make it easier for Security to keep an eye on it, and would also mean that people wouldn't be forced to walk the entire perimeter of the floor after standing in line for an hour or more.
I remember in '07, once the line for the masq started moving, it moved very fast. This year it kept stopping and starting.
My advice: AB staff should know the number of seats on the main floor of Main Events, right? Therefore, they should stop people from getting in line once the number of people in line equals the amount of main floor seating. That way, the line moves and they know that when that line is all in, that everyone else will have to go to the balcony.
Speaking of which: if they could have a few Orange shirts by the doors on the 3rd floor that lead to the balcony, I wonder if it would be feasible to have people line up there that WANT to be in the balcony? Just an idea.